• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
For the love of all that is good, please don't let duplicates be a thing for Spirits. The RNG in Smash 4 is what ruined custom gear and moves for me. I love the concept, it was just executed so, so poorly...
Already been confirmed that duplicates are possible.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Sakurai didn't trick anyone or make anything fake. The "leak" was a hoax from the start. So it's the reverse; the hoax tricked people.

But Sakurai said not to expect too many new fighters, and then said that the rate of characters would go down after the Isabelle reveal. He was very clear in setting our expectations. But people would have rather believed "Ah, he's just trolling" instead and set themselves up for disappointment.
This is why it's best to remain sceptical about leaks until proven otherwise not to mention the changes on the mural seemed very fishy.
As we seen none of the characters were changed in the official mural's final roster.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
At least the grind for music won't be as bad this time.

CD Factory please come back...
Sakurai took matters personally: to stop CD Factories, he stopped Stage Buider altogether.

D

Deleted member

Already been confirmed that duplicates are possible.
Dang. Ah well, the moves being RNG'ed is what bugged me the most, gear not so much. It's a bit annoying, but meh, whatevs. It'll still be fun. :p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai took matters personally: to stop CD Factories, he stopped Stage Buider altogether.
He also stopped Smash Tour. Which no one missed.

This is why it's best to remain sceptical about leaks until proven otherwise not to mention the changes on the mural seemed very fishy.
As we seen none of the characters were changed in the official mural's final roster.
Banjo's nose did seem too big for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dang. Ah well, the moves being RNG'ed is what bugged me the most, gear not so much. It's a bit annoying, but meh, whatevs. It'll still be fun. :p
Well I mean it won't be so bad
If there's a support spirit of a character you really like/wanted you can use 3 of them if you get 3 of them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just remembered something. You can buy music and stuff with the shop to substitute for that weird trophy shop.

So I present a new tinfoil hat theory:
Missing modes are hiding behind the shop and you have to pay for them with Smash currency as an incentive to actually use the Shop.

It's so ambiguously perfect. :101:

D

Deleted member

"Imagines 3 Octolings equipped to Inkling"

...Maybe it won't be so bad...
I just hope there'll be hacks to mod the names and images of spirits so I can make a Zoe spirit

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Missing modes are hiding behind the shop and you have to pay for them with Smash currency as an incentive to actually use the Shop.

If that does so happen to be the case then Stage Builder better not be absolute **** like it was in Smash 4.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well I mean it won't be so bad
If there's a support spirit of a character you really like/wanted you can use 3 of them if you get 3 of them.
And you can always fling them into the real world.

Heard something about another Direct this week. Whats up with that?
There's been a leak that says it'll be on Thursday. It may cover the rumoured N64 Mini.

No announcement yet though, so tomorrow is do or die.

I just remembered something. You can buy music and stuff with the shop to substitute for that weird trophy shop.

Okay, but for Break the Targets, it still has to take 70+ fighters into account.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tomorrow's when a Direct would get announced if there is one for sure. If tomorrow morning is quiet, it's probably safe to say sources were wrong.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
The grinch leak had a ton of inconsistencies (example: the waterfall was removed !!!!!!!HELLO>) in it's image vs the official E3 background that ArtsyOmni discussed about. Far more than what I heard about in fact. I am very surprised people still believed in it so strongly considering it had clear signs of it being fake due to the background having things completely gone or modified on multiple occasions compared to the official render (snap-chat photo's cannot remove things or modify things to such a degree in the Grinch leak either).

It was a decent leak; but far from a very legit looking leak once you have a graphic artist examine it. People just chose to be willingly ignorant about it.

Look ArtsyOmni video discussing it up. I was already very skeptical of the grinch leak (teamfake) but the amount of things off with the grinch leak should have definitivelys sound some alarms.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I hope one of Mewtwo's unlock requirements is "play for 20 hours."
Oh boy, just set a Level 9 CPU match at 99 stocks and the lowest launch rate and hope the game doesn't crash.

Yeah, this was my biggest issue with this hype cycle. People kept insisting that we shouldn't take Sakurai at face value and extrapolating minor moments of trolling to mean he was trolling us with the roster.

And then I'd get accused of being the hype police and coming off as arrogant and condescending. Perhaps I did, but when Sakurai has made note of a limited number of newcomers on three separate occasions and all you have is "But Sakurai likes to troll people and would NEVER end of such a disappointing note", then you start to sound illogical and a little bit desperate. Sakurai should be taken as the word of God on the game he's working on. He can change his mind game to game and make characters previously thought to be unviable viable in future entries. He does speak the absolute truth on his own game in the time, or at least trolls so minimally that he's revealed the truth in less than a couple of minutes.

Sakurai told us exactly how he approached the game, people expecting a huge number of newcomers after Isabelle were absolutely setting themselves up for disappointment, Grinch leak or not.
I mean, I remained hopeful that we'd get more than just Ken and Incineroar. I didn't believe in Box Theory, and I felt we'd get at least one more newcomer or Echo Fighter. But I definitely wasn't expecting 7 more characters, that'd be way too many.

Well, we kinda got Piranha Plant. And he's generated a large amount of hype and anti-hype, so I guess that worked.

You'll get Spirits randomly, like customs in Smash For. How weird, right?
I mean weird like Luigi's "beat the level with a 2 in the seconds counter," or "complete X mode with Y character," etc. Smash 4's criteria were lame. Of course you can unlock characters through Spirits mode, but I hope there will be some interesting ways to unlock them otherwise.

Though, apparently there might not be too many other modes for that to happen.

AbsoluteZer0Nova

Smash Cadet
I now know why Shadow was excluded from being a playable character in Smash Bros for Ultimate...

They both could have used Chaos Control to open a portal into the past or future for them and the smash roster to survive.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The grinch leak had a ton of inconsistencies in it's image vs the official E3 background that ArtsyOmni discussed about. Far more than what I heard about in fact. I am very surprised people still believed in it so strongly considering it had clear signs of it being fake due to the background having things completely gone or modified on multiple occasions compared to the official render.
It's because most people were so tired of the Box Theory that they wanted something different to happen. Then some jokester decided to mess with them for the remainder of October.

I still maintain that the Grinch leak should never have happened, more people would actually have been pleasantly surprised otherwise.

I now know why Shadow was excluded from being a playable character in Smash Bros for Ultimate...

They both could have used Chaos Control to open a portal into the past or future for them and the smash roster to survive.
I think Sakurai probably acknowledges Tails and Dr. Eggman's seniority and didn't want him in the way (even though he is popular).

At least with :ultisabelle: it's excusable enough, since she is seen as the face of the Animal Crossing series over Tom Nook these days.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I made this fake trailer a while ago
Does everyone think it's at least okay?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh boy, just set a Level 9 CPU match at 99 stocks and the lowest launch rate and hope the game doesn't crash.

I mean, I remained hopeful that we'd get more than just Ken and Incineroar. I didn't believe in Box Theory, and I felt we'd get at least one more newcomer or Echo Fighter. But I definitely wasn't expecting 7 more characters, that'd be way too many.

Well, we kinda got Piranha Plant. And he's generated a large amount of hype and anti-hype, so I guess that worked.

I mean weird like Luigi's "beat the level with a 2 in the seconds counter," or "complete X mode with Y character," etc. Smash 4's criteria were lame. Of course you can unlock characters through Spirits mode, but I hope there will be some interesting ways to unlock them otherwise.

Though, apparently there might not be too many other modes for that to happen.
I was actually thinking it's pretty hard to find interesting stuff for 60 something fighter but got it.

I made this fake trailer a while ago
Does everyone think it's at least okay?
Aw, that was cute.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
It's because most people were so tired of the Box Theory that they wanted something different to happen. Then some jokester decided to mess with them for the remainder of October.

I still maintain that the Grinch leak should never have happened, more people would actually have been pleasantly surprised otherwise.
And yet, Box Theory was true. I remember a lot of comments up here that had people talking down to Box Theorists and even calling them idiots.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Tomorrow's when a Direct would get announced if there is one for sure. If tomorrow morning is quiet, it's probably safe to say sources were wrong.
Gaming Intel specifically said it may not be on November 8 as their source was unsure when the exact date in November will be, they just inferred November 8 because of youtube. So if tomorrow morning is quiet, that doesn't mean sources were wrong.

D

Deleted member

Tomorrow will be a month until release, oh my goodness WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE.
I know, right? Feels like just yesterday I was getting hyped from Inklings being confirmed from the initial announcement and Octo Expansion's announcement in March. Time does fly...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know what I find weird? Shantae's spirit was highlighted in the world of Light trailer but not Geno who we only know about because of eagle eyed fans spotting him among countless other random spirits. Nothing against Shantae. I love her games. But she got nothing in smash 4 while Geno got the only Mii costume with a trailer and a statement from Sakurai saying he's incredibly popular and that he's wanted to add him since Brawl. I feel like that's really odd unless something more is planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom