• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Olimar seems to have gotten some neat changes this time around. I loved Olimar in Brawl, but he just didn't feel the same in Smash 4. Here's hoping he's good in Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

It's possible that in a future Smash title we could get Banjo in the base roster for the longtime fans, but naturally it makes more sense for Minecraft, and even Halo to an extent, to come before Banjo
I can agree on that.
Minecraft is a good introduction for Microsoft content in Smash.

NineS

Smash Lord
Wait, so have 3 of the 5 DLC characters already been definitively leaked or is it just exaggerated hearsay?
Nothing is definitive this time. All we know is we're getting a Square Enix rep for sure, another leaker saying it's Sora and he'll be revealed at the VGA awards.
Another leaker who has vergeben's blessing says we're getting a granblue character but Nintendo has only recently talked about it, and that we're also getting steve as a character. This leaker has an amazing track record, and vergeben's blessing, but Vergeben can't confirm nor deny what he's said. It would also go against what Sakurai said about having all DLC characters decided already.

However, because of the history of the person saying it's Sora, people are confident this is the same Square Enix rep Vergeben is leaking, despite him not saying anything on the matter.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I issue I take with saying a character "deserves" to be in is because it's the implication that not putting them in is some sort of crime, like it's some sort of insult not to put the character in the roster because they "deserve" better. When making the roster, a large number of things have to be considered (resource management, general and hardcore appeal, movesets, variety in character choices, ect), not simply who's the most "influential". Not every character you think is iconic or important is guaranteed a spot and I think it's important to accept that.
And you would be exactly right . There are more factors at play than just iconic or popular characters

SonicMario

Smash Master
To reframe the question: what’s the one character they could announce as DLC that would make you go “I’m all in, buying the season pass, thank you Sakurai?”

Mine doesn’t bear repeating.
Tails, I'd even completely forgive the Piranha Plant thing if that happened heh. (Not that I'm that salty about it, it's just a weird choice to make for what's essentially the Smash 4 Mewtwo for this game [Both being free bonuses of some kind that are eventually paid DLC later])

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Could you imagine a DLC time line that goes full Gaijin and adds companies like Disney, Microsoft, Ubisoft, and Activision?

1) Sora
2) Banjo
3) Rayman
4) Crash
5) ???

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I’m leaning towards just buying the season pass anyway (especially with K. Rool, Ridley and Snake already in) but I’ll wait for the first character announcement before jumping the gun. I think I’ll get more out of this game in the long run than Smash 4 and I’ll be more willing to get the most out of the extra characters and stages, especially now that the game isn’t split between two consoles.

I just hope they are paced out decently, in Smash 4 you had three characters in June and then you had to wait until December for the next one. If Plant is in February, hopefully we will get someone in April and inevitably someone at E3.
Same boat. I have a lot of friends riding on me buying the game for them to play so Ill probably just do the DLC pass anyway since between all of us, someone is bound to get something they like

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I think Sakurai could have pushed for him just to appease fans. We know he likes Geno so maybe its a dream of his too, who knows. In the end though he has to deal with the juggernaut that is Square. And perhaps they worked a deal with him, we will let you use Geno, but to this extent. In return we want this character pushed and not Geno. Its highly possible they struck a deal like that. As I have said Square is willing to let things happen, if its in their best interests. So they give Geno to Sakurai, but only to an extent. They then in return have another of their main characters pushed. I could definitely see this scenario being possible.

Yes it is and so much music from Octopath Traveler is like that. I really hope Square isn't so stingy with their music like they were in Smash Wii U.
I mean most of Bethesda's character's would be really out of place in Smash. I mean who would they add, the Vault 111 Survivor, the Dragon Born. Im with you Goemon makes more sense. That being said some Bethesda music would be amazing.
Well that's what I've been saying. Again, I going for that Sakurai won't disappoint his fans (at least Geno fans).

As someone who appreciate cartoonish characters over realistic ones. I would not appreciate any Bethesda character in Smash.
Goemon made more sense than Snake and Simon, unfortunately he had none of the global sense.

D

Deleted member

Could you imagine a DLC time line that goes full Gaijin and adds companies like Disney, Microsoft, Ubisoft, and Activision?

1) Sora
2) Banjo
3) Rayman
4) Crash
5) ???
I would love that timeline, tbh.
I would pick either Steve or Spyro for the 5th spot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
YO BATTLE OF THE GODS, THE FINAL BOSS MAP IN FIRE EMBLEM GAIDEN/ECHOES IS IN
BEST SONG BEST SONG BEST SONG BEST SONG

PORT OR REMIX?

Twilight of the Gods making it in is a huge sigh of relief.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just saw the footage of :ultshulk: with all of his nasty aerials. Guess I'm maining him again.

D

Deleted member

I mean, quite a lot of Japanese people would care about her, soo...
I mean yeah, but if the DLC characters were going for MAX APPEAL like some people seem to think, why would Nintendo be fine with a character that only appeals to a subset of the market?
I wouldn't care about Katalina, in fact I would probably play her because Sakurai can make me like anything, but it's sort of an oxymoron.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Because I like making pointless lists

Fighter Pack 1

1. Sora
2. Steve
3. Katalina
4. Doomguy
5. Rayman

Fighter Pack 2

1. Bandanna Waddle Dee
2. Monster Hunter
3. Lloyd Irving
4. Banjo-Kazooie
5. Geno

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

1) Sora
2) Banjo
3) Rayman
4) Crash
5) ???
I don't want Activision in Smash, honestly

D

Deleted member

Exactly what I've been saying. We have to take in account what the Japanese fanbase wants, not just the western fans.
Yeah, the japanese market could have a character demanded more there.

But searching alongside some K.Rool fans, i found that Kathina doesn’t have a notorious demand for DLC.
I would dare to say from what we found that they want similar characters to the ones demanded on the west.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The argument he's making is that Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario RPG and Golden Sun have worldwide appeal (near in SMRPG's case), while Granblue Fantasy would appeal to Japanese people and Japanese people only (until GBF makes it's way to other countries).

The fact that Banjo-Kazooie and Golden Sun haven't seen releases in decades notwithstanding.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Theres a rumor Marvel vs Capcom 4 is going to be a thing, not sure if that helps.
Yeah I've read that they're going to revamp it n such. But that's Marvel and Capcom only. I'm wishing for a wider VG only chars. like Smash. (I love MvC btw).

NineS

Smash Lord
Exactly what I've been saying. We have to take in account what the Japanese fanbase wants, not just the western fans.
She could be the reverse Ridley. The reverse Captain America. I mean, have we gotten the Japan fanservice character yet like we got ours?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Another thing I've heard about, but never actually witnessed.

Uh, Will Will , I think you wanted to see this earlier.
****ing finally its about time we saw that

But that seems super unfair, why can't other people get their own punish for countering too much unless K. Rool's counter is like, the strongest of them all (which I doubt becuase Corrin still exists).

D

Deleted member

Yeah I've read that they're going to revamp it n such. But that's Marvel and Capcom only. I'm wishing for a wider VG only chars. like Smash. (I love MvC btw).
Sadly, the closest thing to that is Super Smash Bros Crusade.

And that game isn’t so good when Smash Flash 2 exists.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Is this real? I believe it, but source?
THIS TWITTER THREAD
https://twitter.com/Marcbri/status/1058838021951373313

Another thing I've heard about, but never actually witnessed.

Uh, Will Will , I think you wanted to see this earlier.
Oh **** that is BAD lmao. Makes sense, he's pretty good at killing and recovering so it balances it out in a way

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
SMH, we in 2018 and we still don't got everyone with a unique victory fanfare smh.

I swear, I've been waiting for Ike to get the beginning chords of "With Us" or "Eternal Bond" for the longest time...

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The argument he's making is that Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario RPG and Golden Sun have worldwide appeal (near in SMRPG's case), while Granblue Fantasy would appeal to Japanese people and Japanese people only (until GBF makes it's way to other countries).

The fact that Banjo-Kazooie and Golden Sun haven't seen releases in decades notwithstanding.
Well, IIrc, someone on here said that they're planning on releasing the upcoming GBF game worldwide, which could help her chances for DLC (of course, that doesn't mean much right now and that could be entirely false)

D

Deleted member

But that seems super unfair, why can't other people get their own punish for countering too much unless K. Rool's counter is like, the strongest of them all (which I doubt becuase Corrin still exists).
K. Rool's armor breaking is tied to all moves that use his belly, so if you hit him during nair or dash attack, it will crack.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's possible that in a future Smash title we could get Banjo in the base roster for the longtime fans, but naturally it makes more sense for Minecraft, and even Halo to an extent, to come before Banjo
That would make sense. For comparison's sake would :ultkrool: honestly have stood a chance for DLC inclusion by himself? Probably not, so the base game is always the best chance, and it leaves room for bigger promotions.

Besides, characters like :ultwario: and :ultkingdedede: took years before eventually making the cut, so it's not an easy, cut and dry selection process.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

That's not his counter.

It's his super armor.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
SMH, we in 2018 and we still don't got everyone with a unique victory fanfare smh.

I swear, I've been waiting for Ike to get the beginning chords of "With Us" or "Eternal Bond" for the longest time...
Well, a good... tenth? is getting their own unique fanfares, so it's a start.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah, the japanese market could have a character demanded more there.

But searching alongside some K.Rool fans, i found that Kathina doesn’t have a notorious demand for DLC.
I would dare to say from what we found that they want similar characters to the ones demanded on the west.
Yeah, I've heard that too. But it's not only about what the hardcore Smash fans want, whether here or in Japan. The general Smash fans in Japan may really like the idea of her being in the game, just not the hardcore fans

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's not his counter.

It's his super armor.
You're gonna have to explain because I read that and I'm lookin' like this rn.

1506610021596.jpg

K. Rool's armor breaking is tied to all moves that use his belly, so if you hit him during nair or dash attack, it will crack.
Okay see now this man knows how to use his words.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

She could be the reverse Ridley. The reverse Captain America. I mean, have we gotten the Japan fanservice character yet like we got ours?
They apparently want the same characters as the west, in some form.
From what i could gather with the K.Rool fans, the most popular picks there are:
-Sora
-Geno
-Banjo
-Crash
-Hard to make a consencus on the last pick, because it used to be Rex.

Believe me, we were surprised when we found this, besides for Sora.
Kathina could probably pass as the replacement of Rex, but the surprise was mostly with the actual picks that we could know.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That is true. I mean, Japan got Chrom, but western fans got Dark Samus. I don't think there is a character that only the Japanese fans want (similar to Ridley for us)

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
"Welcome back to the stage of history, a tale of swords and souls, eternally retold"
Oh come on, where have I heard that before.. Soul Caliber?
I meant a cross fighter that aims at none fighters. Just like Smash. All those forgotten charcaters and all those indies in one game. No mad rules of inclusion, no more begging, no more debating.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
How you would feel about this dlc line up:

Sora
Steve
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Elma

Status
Not open for further replies.