• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sora, Steve, Katalina, Bethesda character, Heihachi. Those are your new characters imo
I'm not that excited about Sora but he's a big name and it'll be exciting to see him in.

Steve means we could get a sick rebuildable Minecraft stage and has moveset potential. Not high on my list but I don't see him not being fun to play.

Katalina is sick as hell and if that new Platinum game comes to Switch I'd be completely fine with it.

Dovahkiin would make an awesome fighter. I don't even like Skyrim but they've earned their place and would be exciting. Dovahkiin vs. Simon barbarian battles.

Heihachi isn't my first Bamco rep choice (that's Lloyd) but I LOVE Tekken. Whether it or Guilty Gear is my favorite one-on-one fighter depends on my mood, so that's cool.

Not a bad lineup IMO especially considering stages and music that could come with. The music may hurt the Katalina rumor, though. It's all Nobuo Uematsu who I hear is super hard to license, hence why there's like no FF music.

D

Deleted member

in my little headcannon An Alchemist from the Atelier series is the more likely Koei Temco representative....
I'm seeing myself out :D
Sorry, but a Koei rep is unlikely.

They don’t have the casual attraction of Kathalina, Minecraft or Kingdom Hearts. They are out of the picture.

/S

Iridium

Smash Hero
I did not even plan to come back for this one. Ultimate getting announced so soon after the end of Smash 4's DLC (only two years later) was a big factor. I basically left speculation after Roy's return for Smash 4 in June 2015. I did not return to speculation in April 2018, so that was a nearly three year absence. By comparison, I was heavily involved with speculation for Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4.

What even got me as involved as I was for this installment was Everyone is Here + Ridley getting announced (the latter being my single most wanted newcomer for nearly 20 years).

By 2025 I will be a few years away from 40, and I do not want to spend my free time arguing about video game characters with people who were not even in existence when Brawl was released. I have also had less and less free time over the years, and I cannot just simply spend a significant amount on speculation any more (I never even got around to doing that ultimate character analysis for this round like I did for Brawl and Smash 4).

I could also have family priorities by then too, but even if I do not, I probably will not have much time to do speculation, nor will I even have the interest for it (I have only one character interest left, and a lot of people do not seem to even be fighting for her like they should). Ultimate gave me 95% of what I wanted from a dream Smash Bros. character and stage wise. With a future installment, I would lose many of the characters I care about as well as nearly all of the stages. I am not going to want to pick up a Smash Bros. game just to gain Dixie Kong, but end up possibly or likely losing Roy, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, both Belmonts, and Jigglypuff.

I will see with the actual gameplay and other content, but in terms of characters and stages, Ultimate was the game I was dreaming of as a sequel to Brawl. Aside from Dixie Kong, basically every single Nintendo IP has some sort of notable content in Ultimate, whether as a playable character, an Assist Trophy, or a Mii costume. I am grateful that things even turned out the way they did because I considered getting every single veteran back to be fantasy, hardly anyone ever rallied behind Castlevania, and I thought Ridley had been ruled out of as a possibility due to Sakurai's statements on him back in November 2014.

Getting nearly all the past stages also means that I will be able to enjoy Ridley on the stages to the games I had wished he had been included as a newcomer for (Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4). It is absolutely incredible.

I do have some hope presently that Dixie Kong could become a DLC fighter for Ultimate and thus completing Smash Bros. for me, but it is absolutely contingent on whether having a spirit acts as a deconfirmation for DLC. On that question, I will know the answer when we know of all the spirits for Ultimate, and whether Bandanna Dee and Elma are also among their ranks (those two are presently the most likely Nintendo characters to be DLC for Ultimate). If they have spirits too, then Dixie Kong might actually have a chance to be DLC (even if its not particularly high). So I will have my answer within the next 40 days whether there even exists hope for Dixie Kong for Ultimate.

Otherwise, Ultimate gave me three things I was never expecting to happen with Smash 5:
1. Every single veteran returning.
2. Ridley being playable.
3. Castlevania being added to the series.

K. Rool and Dark Samus being added and getting are other things that made me happy to see with Ultimate and made it feel like a very worthy sequel to Smash 4 roster wise despite there only being a few newcomers.

For someone that started during very extensive speculation work as soon as Brawl was released, this game has an absolute dream roster.

However, at this point in my life, I do not have the passion or interest in roster speculation that I did up until four years ago. I got almost every thing I wanted, as well as the fact that I simply do not have the time as I once did to do speculation. Heck, of the gaming I do nowadays, nearly all of it is on portable consoles, and on home consoles, its on consoles where I can suspend my progress at any point (the NES and SNES Classic Editions).

A lot has changed between the various speculation periods over the years. Many speculators have come and gone. When Smash 4 was released four years ago, I thought things look truly grim for Ridley ever becoming playable and Roy ever returning. I felt the latter did have a shot at becoming DLC (especially considering we did not have any idea how many newcomers were going to be part of Smash 4 DLC), but I did not feel optimistic because of just how many popular Brawl veterans were cut (I felt Roy had to wait behind Lucas and Wolf before getting in, I felt if there was another veteran added in after Wolf it would likely be Roy because I felt the bad blood between Konami and Kojima is what kept Snake out of Smash 4 and Ice Climbers had technical issues keeping them out). My attitude was "between Smash 4 and Project M I will have everything I was hoping for out of Smash Bros." and I was content to just leave it there because I felt there was not much that could realistically happen for the next installment that could make me want to get the game.

By a profound stroke of luck, Roy actually ends up becoming DLC despite the conventional wisdom being that he had little chance of getting back in (due to Fire Emblem already having four slots, Lucina being a Marth clone, a character named Roy, aka Roy Koopa, already on the roster, and so many popular Brawl veterans being cut). With Bagan's Ridley mod, I felt I at least had the chance to be able to experience Ridley in Smash Bros. even if it was not an official title, and I was content with that. I gave little thought to the future of Smash Bros. after DLC for Smash 4 got wrapped up.

Just as with how Ultimate turning out the way it did, I absolutely cannot say for sure I will not ever return to the speculation and character support scene. I could very well just pop in years from now just to throw my two cents in and leave, or just post sporadically, However, I do have the feeling now that I just want to move on not just from Smash Bros., but gaming discussion and forum posting as well. I still like to enjoy games in my free time, but I am not eager to watch trailers and daydream about upcoming titles like I did ten years ago.

With only a single character (Dixie Kong) I really want to see as DLC (sure ther are a few others that would make me smile to see like Banjo-Kazooie), and having reasonable expectation on who the five DLC fighters are, I do not have much incentive to stick around even for the DLC period of Ultimate. Keep in mind, I only made two or three more posts after June 2015 when Roy and Ryu was released for the remainder of the Smash 4 DLC speculation period.

I really like how nearly everything got some sort of notable representation in Ultimate. The only things that seem to be lacking right now are Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee (the latter of which I feel confident is going to be DLC), and Rhythm Heaven and Xenoblade X seeming like they got overlooked (again the latter will have a good chance to be DLC).

There is only a month left until Ultimate's release and we now know the entire roster. In the mean time, I will try to gather up my thoughts and analysis on the roster, give my speculation and analysis for the five DLC fighters we will probably get, and give my parting words to the speculation community. I hope that there will be a few that will look forward to this.
This almost reads like an essay assignment. I'm impressed.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
K.Rool was literally because of the ballot can people please stop with this "villain representation" ****
To be fair people wanted villains so it just kind of worked out that way
Anyways, now that I know the base roster I don't feel the need to post in this thread anymore and tolerate the prissy personalities who lose their temper over the pettiest perceptions

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Yes I hope it happens, for the loyal Geno fans that deserve their character to be treated with kindness. Lets say worst case scenario Geno is not in Smash then he has to sit on a shelf again to never be used. If Square sells him to Nintendo though, now he as a character is full of possibility. He could easily make it into the following Smash as he would be a Nintendo character. This is what I hope for, and I really feel Geno fans should push for this if he does not make it into Smash. Ah well I guess we don't not need to worry yet, Steve may still come though ha.

This was the song I hope makes it into Smash bros Ultimate, Octopath Traveler has some really amazing music. On a side note I heard their was also talks with Sakurai and Bethesda I wonder what that will lead to any ideas on that?
Oh boy.. and to see it in doubles. In my edit I meant "scrap it", sorry for that mistake. Getting this out of the way.

So. Well, now I think about it that solution might not work either. If Geno is considered a bench charcater then why would Nintendo bother buying his rights? add to it, Square definitely won't make that easy or cheap. Poor Geno. Smash it is then.

That's one uplifting music :)
I don't know, Solaire? I'm hoping nothing, as I wish a spot for my Goemon.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Dovahkiin would make an awesome fighter. I don't even like Skyrim but they've earned their place and would be exciting. Dovahkiin vs. Simon barbarian battles.
Yes! Yes! Yes!

That's actually one reason I started getting on the Simon train...and why I'm still not fully on it. I wasn't really hot on him before Vergeben leaked him, and then I got all of these headcanons of Simon and the Dragonborn questing through a bunch of Nordic ruins together taking on Vampires and Draugr. Really made me start to like Simon...

I just wish that that could end up becoming a reality.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
To reframe the question: what’s the one character they could announce as DLC that would make you go “I’m all in, buying the season pass, thank you Sakurai?”

Mine doesn’t bear repeating.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Regarding Katalina... people should remember that is a hitagi claim, and only vergeben said that there is a good chance that info is real. but he doesn't know directly...

Besides, the info was that there were in talks, which means nothing concrete. so far or the rumored DLC characters, Katalina is the least concise, and even if the info is accurate, she could still been chromed.

On the other hand.. there seem to be an interesting rumour of a Granblue fighting game developed by Arksis XD.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh boy.. and to see it in doubles. In my edit I meant "scrap it", sorry for that mistake. Getting this out of the way.

So. Well, now I think about it that solution might not work either. If Geno is considered a bench charcater then why would Nintendo bother buying his rights? add to it, Square definitely won't make that easy or cheap. Poor Geno. Smash it is then.

That's one uplifting music :)
I don't know, Solaire? I'm hoping nothing, as I wish a spot for my Goemon.
On the bright side, if people still want a Mario RPG character after this game, there's always Fawful, the one noteworthy candidate whose Mario spin-off isn't caught in legal red tape or forced not to have original characters anymore. The M&L remakes help keep people noticing him, if nothing else.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
To reframe the question: what’s the one character they could announce as DLC that would make you go “I’m all in, buying the season pass, thank you Sakurai?”

Hmmm... Gee... I wonder what mine is...
RHNormalogo.png

D

Deleted member

I don't care for most of Konami's characters...
I mean the only Konami newcomers I want are Soma, Alcuard, Jonathan & Charolette, Shanona, Maria, Trevor Belmont, Sylphya Belandes, Eric Licarde Bomberman, and Bill Rizier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I did not even plan to come back for this one. Ultimate getting announced so soon after the end of Smash 4's DLC (only two years later) was a big factor. I basically left speculation after Roy's return for Smash 4 in June 2015. I did not return to speculation in April 2018, so that was a nearly three year absence. By comparison, I was heavily involved with speculation for Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4.

What even got me as involved as I was for this installment was Everyone is Here + Ridley getting announced (the latter being my single most wanted newcomer for nearly 20 years).

By 2025 I will be a few years away from 40, and I do not want to spend my free time arguing about video game characters with people who were not even in existence when Brawl was released. I have also had less and less free time over the years, and I cannot just simply spend a significant amount on speculation any more (I never even got around to doing that ultimate character analysis for this round like I did for Brawl and Smash 4).

I could also have family priorities by then too, but even if I do not, I probably will not have much time to do speculation, nor will I even have the interest for it (I have only one character interest left, and a lot of people do not seem to even be fighting for her like they should). Ultimate gave me 95% of what I wanted from a dream Smash Bros. character and stage wise. With a future installment, I would lose many of the characters I care about as well as nearly all of the stages. I am not going to want to pick up a Smash Bros. game just to gain Dixie Kong, but end up possibly or likely losing Roy, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, both Belmonts, and Jigglypuff.

I will see with the actual gameplay and other content, but in terms of characters and stages, Ultimate was the game I was dreaming of as a sequel to Brawl. Aside from Dixie Kong, basically every single Nintendo IP has some sort of notable content in Ultimate, whether as a playable character, an Assist Trophy, or a Mii costume. I am grateful that things even turned out the way they did because I considered getting every single veteran back to be fantasy, hardly anyone ever rallied behind Castlevania, and I thought Ridley had been ruled out of as a possibility due to Sakurai's statements on him back in November 2014.

Getting nearly all the past stages also means that I will be able to enjoy Ridley on the stages to the games I had wished he had been included as a newcomer for (Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4). It is absolutely incredible.

I do have some hope presently that Dixie Kong could become a DLC fighter for Ultimate and thus completing Smash Bros. for me, but it is absolutely contingent on whether having a spirit acts as a deconfirmation for DLC. On that question, I will know the answer when we know of all the spirits for Ultimate, and whether Bandanna Dee and Elma are also among their ranks (those two are presently the most likely Nintendo characters to be DLC for Ultimate). If they have spirits too, then Dixie Kong might actually have a chance to be DLC (even if its not particularly high). So I will have my answer within the next 40 days whether there even exists hope for Dixie Kong for Ultimate.

Otherwise, Ultimate gave me three things I was never expecting to happen with Smash 5:
1. Every single veteran returning.
2. Ridley being playable.
3. Castlevania being added to the series.

K. Rool and Dark Samus being added and getting are other things that made me happy to see with Ultimate and made it feel like a very worthy sequel to Smash 4 roster wise despite there only being a few newcomers.

For someone that started during very extensive speculation work as soon as Brawl was released, this game has an absolute dream roster.

However, at this point in my life, I do not have the passion or interest in roster speculation that I did up until four years ago. I got almost every thing I wanted, as well as the fact that I simply do not have the time as I once did to do speculation. Heck, of the gaming I do nowadays, nearly all of it is on portable consoles, and on home consoles, its on consoles where I can suspend my progress at any point (the NES and SNES Classic Editions).

A lot has changed between the various speculation periods over the years. Many speculators have come and gone. When Smash 4 was released four years ago, I thought things look truly grim for Ridley ever becoming playable and Roy ever returning. I felt the latter did have a shot at becoming DLC (especially considering we did not have any idea how many newcomers were going to be part of Smash 4 DLC), but I did not feel optimistic because of just how many popular Brawl veterans were cut (I felt Roy had to wait behind Lucas and Wolf before getting in, I felt if there was another veteran added in after Wolf it would likely be Roy because I felt the bad blood between Konami and Kojima is what kept Snake out of Smash 4 and Ice Climbers had technical issues keeping them out). My attitude was "between Smash 4 and Project M I will have everything I was hoping for out of Smash Bros." and I was content to just leave it there because I felt there was not much that could realistically happen for the next installment that could make me want to get the game.

By a profound stroke of luck, Roy actually ends up becoming DLC despite the conventional wisdom being that he had little chance of getting back in (due to Fire Emblem already having four slots, Lucina being a Marth clone, a character named Roy, aka Roy Koopa, already on the roster, and so many popular Brawl veterans being cut). With Bagan's Ridley mod, I felt I at least had the chance to be able to experience Ridley in Smash Bros. even if it was not an official title, and I was content with that. I gave little thought to the future of Smash Bros. after DLC for Smash 4 got wrapped up.

Just as with how Ultimate turning out the way it did, I absolutely cannot say for sure I will not ever return to the speculation and character support scene. I could very well just pop in years from now just to throw my two cents in and leave, or just post sporadically, However, I do have the feeling now that I just want to move on not just from Smash Bros., but gaming discussion and forum posting as well. I still like to enjoy games in my free time, but I am not eager to watch trailers and daydream about upcoming titles like I did ten years ago.

With only a single character (Dixie Kong) I really want to see as DLC (sure ther are a few others that would make me smile to see like Banjo-Kazooie), and having reasonable expectation on who the five DLC fighters are, I do not have much incentive to stick around even for the DLC period of Ultimate. Keep in mind, I only made two or three more posts after June 2015 when Roy and Ryu was released for the remainder of the Smash 4 DLC speculation period.

I really like how nearly everything got some sort of notable representation in Ultimate. The only things that seem to be lacking right now are Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee (the latter of which I feel confident is going to be DLC), and Rhythm Heaven and Xenoblade X seeming like they got overlooked (again the latter will have a good chance to be DLC).

There is only a month left until Ultimate's release and we now know the entire roster. In the mean time, I will try to gather up my thoughts and analysis on the roster, give my speculation and analysis for the five DLC fighters we will probably get, and give my parting words to the speculation community. I hope that there will be a few that will look forward to this.
Well, thank you for replying, especially with such a long response. I feel honored that you took this much time and effort to respond to someone as little as me. I can't promise I'll be around here often after the game is released either, but who knows? Anyway, thanks again, and I hope to see you around the forums from time to time. Take care.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Phoenix Wright or Elma.

I plan on getting it anyway but like, those would tip me over the edge because it meant I'd be guaranteed characters I love plus get tons more to have fun with and stages to enjoy.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
So... Make list of characters, of which you played their debut game before they got confirmed for Smash... (Extra points if the Pokemon were actually on your team during the play through...)

:ultgreninja::ultpacman::ultmiifighters::ultdarkpit::ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
(okay, so technically, Ridley and K. Rool shouldn't count, because I never got far enough to actually encounter them... That being said though, Froakie and Litten were my starters in XY and SM respectively)
Man... this is a short list... this is what happens when you've only been a Nintendo fan for like 12 years
It'd be quicker if I just list which characters games I didnt play until after their SSB debut

:ultmarth::ulticeclimbers:

...and the characters whose games I still have not played ever

:ultlucas::ultolimar::ultinkling::ultbayonetta::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultwiifittrainer::ultroy::ultrichter::ultrob:

...and here's your bonus: Pokémon I use in any SSB who have been used as mains in Pokémon games

:4charizard::ultpikachu::ultlucario::ultincineroar::ultgreninja::squirtle:/:009:

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Honestly I hope the Square DLC character is Chrono.
Chrono Trigger is an extremely beloved JRPG from the SNES era, has popularity that has been maintained for over 20 years, and is considered one of the best games of the 90's, for its plot and gameplay.

If we are going to have a Toriyama designed character, Chrono literally is the most iconic and unique one they can do, over DQ in my opinion.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
He was a caveman from a platforming game, who's main gimmick was that he could dive forward with his head to attack enemies...
One of my wishes that I know is so hard to fulfill. sigh. That era was full of creative characters, nothing compares.

D

Deleted member

I mostly want Crash and Banjo.

Crash because of how much i want to see him next to Samus Aran and K.Rool, and Banjo because he deserves it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Anyone ever notice Incinaroar has a Black Panther suit armor type of counter...

Truly is an infinity war.

StormC

Smash Hero
I’m leaning towards just buying the season pass anyway (especially with K. Rool, Ridley and Snake already in) but I’ll wait for the first character announcement before jumping the gun. I think I’ll get more out of this game in the long run than Smash 4 and I’ll be more willing to get the most out of the extra characters and stages, especially now that the game isn’t split between two consoles.

I just hope they are paced out decently, in Smash 4 you had three characters in June and then you had to wait until December for the next one. If Plant is in February, hopefully we will get someone in April and inevitably someone at E3.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mostly want Crash and Banjo.

Crash because of how much i want to see him next to Samus Aran and K.Rool, and Banjo because he deserves it.
Why does he deserve it? I've never understood why people say that a character deserves to be playable. It seems very subjective to me.

D

Deleted member

Why does he deserve it? I've never understood why people say that a character deserves to be playable. It seems very subjective to me.
He was a part of Nintendo’s legacy back on the N64 and the face of Rareware, the people who made DK the way we know him today.

Suspicious Squirtle

Smash Apprentice

Crash Bandicoot, it would be surreal to have Crash in the same game with Mario, PAC-MAN, Sonic, and Mega Man.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
On the bright side, if people still want a Mario RPG character after this game, there's always Fawful, the one noteworthy candidate whose Mario spin-off isn't caught in legal red tape or forced not to have original characters anymore. The M&L remakes help keep people noticing him, if nothing else.
But Mario RPG is different than Mario & Luigi RPG. The more I think about it it's really hard to find Geno's place, but in the same time I wish him for his fans (as annoying as some were). They've been waiting for so long outdating is catching up fast :/

D

Deleted member

His counter involves taking the damage and his body glows then unleashes the damage back at the opponent.

Its like a Black Panther mechanic.
I need to check just in case if Black Panther did that on the comics.

From what i’ve read of him, i think he didn’t.

But sure, i can understand your point.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
The man that is Ray.

No, not that one, I mean the one that's not in the game.

Also, any Sonic character that hasn't been ATed (thanks for taking one for the team, Knuckles and Shadow!).

If not those, maybe a completely unexpected character I never knew I wanted.
Sora, Crash, Steve, Banjo, a Tekken rep like Heidachi or a Dragon Quest one.
Only character that I would really want is Sora honestly but I'm still getting this game regardless.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Wait, so have 3 of the 5 DLC characters already been definitively leaked or is it just exaggerated hearsay?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m leaning towards just buying the season pass anyway (especially with K. Rool, Ridley and Snake already in) but I’ll wait for the first character announcement before jumping the gun. I think I’ll get more out of this game in the long run than Smash 4 and I’ll be more willing to get the most out of the extra characters and stages, especially now that the game isn’t split between two consoles.

I just hope they are paced out decently, in Smash 4 you had three characters in June and then you had to wait until December for the next one. If Plant is in February, hopefully we will get someone in April and inevitably someone at E3.
Seeing as those characters apparently weren't finished in time for launch, we'll just have to see what happens there. At least they'll actually have time to advertise things compared to the base game's content, although for all we know we could end up seeing Sakurai blink at us for three minutes before he talks about the first post-:ultpiranha: DLC character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom