• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Unrelated question, you know where a guy can find a good noose?
Yeah just call this number and they'll hook you up: 1-800-273-8255

That's the National Suicide Hotline number just so ya'll know. Call it if you need help. Don't call it for a meme.
It’s always safe to give up hope. It’s a downright popular choice. Has the least drawbacks and the greatest of rewards(pleasant surprise).
This is true. Having low expectations means you'll never be disappointed.

Source: Went into the Smash Direct with no expectations and was not disappointed.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Didn't realize getting Ridley in the game meant a goddamn blood sacrifice by my favorite character. As a diehard Iggy main, I'm genuinely puzzled by what's going on with these nerfs. Unless the general mechanic changes of Ultimate make Bowser Jr. an absolute nightmare, I will never understand what led Sakurai to make one of the most underpowered characters worse with almost no positive changes.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
I think its pretty safe to give up hope on Geno. Base roster was seemingly his chance given the many fan favorite choices and it didn't happen.

In fact, despite multiple attempts from Sakurai it still hasn't happened. Geno still isn't in Smash. Why?

Because Square Enix seems to refuse to let Geno be a playable character over their over more popular and relevant characters, and will only make minor concessions (Mii Costume, Spirit, etc.) to appease his fans.
To summarize this comment in one word:

**** Square-Enix. ( Seriously its embarassing when KONAMI openly allows their characters into Smash more than SE )

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Honestly, I think if we try to base DLC characters off of who isn't a spirit we're gonna be left with nobody. Anyone worth making into a playable character in DLC is worth making a spirit in the base game and not including them is just way too conspicuous considering it seems like we're gonna have approximately 10 zillion of them. Either some of the spirits are gonna get upgraded to fighters in DLC, we'll get characters from games that aren't out yet like FE: Three Houses, Animal Crossing Switch, Metroid Prime 4, etc., or we get third party characters who's series aren't in Smash yet.

This is somewhat of a hot take but I kind of think being an assist trophy doesn't necessarily make you impossible for DLC either. If DLC was decided early on then alright yeah it wouldn't make sense for them to make assist trophies for characters they were going to add later anyways. However, if DLC is still being decided then I don't see the issue. If Sakurai wants a character playable it doesn't matter if they're an assist trophy now. There's no rule against it as far as I know. The man is gonna do what the man is gonna do even if there's some logistic troubles along the way. Heck, he literally made one of the characters final smash feature another character from the roster. (Although to be honest I think the DLC characters might've been decided early so take that last paragraph with a grain of uhh... "salt")

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is true. Having low expectations means you'll never be disappointed.

Source: Went into the Smash Direct with no expectations and was not disappointed.
This. I had no big expectations from single player content and character reveals, so PP and World of Light were pleasant surprises.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Didn't realize getting Ridley in the game meant a goddamn blood sacrifice by my favorite character. As a diehard Iggy main, I'm genuinely puzzled by what's going on with these nerfs. Unless the general mechanic changes of Ultimate make Bowser Jr. an absolute nightmare, I will never understand what led Sakurai to make one of the most underpowered characters worse with almost no positive changes.
Is his frame data better? Shields isn’t great at one-shot damage, but her frame data means she tumbles with the best.

I know it probably isn’t, but I thought I would ask.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

LetterO

Smash Lord
Damnit, now I'm starting to lose steam on the Geno hype train, and it's all thanks to Square's stingy ***. I think i'm starting to accept that Sora's the more likely candidate here.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Anyone have any word on Jigglypuff? You know, the previous worst character in the game? What about Dedede, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man and all the rest of the bottom tiers?
Jiggly's dash attack kills now.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
To summarize this comment in one word:

**** Square-Enix. (Seriously its embarassing when KONAMI openly allows their characters into Smash more than SE )
Not really a summary of my comment per say, but yeah, if you want to take away that you can.

Square Enix just also has a lot of relevant and popular characters compared to Konami who has three (Snake, Simon, and Bomberman - RIP)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
But him being a 3rd party is his biggest issue.

:ultridley::ultkrool:? Easy, Nintendo owns them.

Geno tho? Square's not in this to make us collectively NUTT, they want a profit. No matter how I look at it, comparing the likes of Geno to Sora or Dragon Quest is a losing battle.

Yeah, 'we' want Geno, the hardcore Smash fanbase, but 'we' are the minority of people who are going to be buying this game.
And being the minority, this affects him even more being a DLC possibility instead of included in the base game.

If I were a head honcho at Square and Sakurai approached me about using Geno for DLC, my first reply would be, "But how much would he sell compared to ______?"

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Damnit, now I'm starting to lose steam on the Geno hype train, and it's all thanks to Square's stingy ***. I think i'm starting to accept that Sora's the more likely candidate here.
INB4 it’s Cid Highwind

blackghost

Smash Champion
Ugh, I'm not even sure what they want Samus to be.
Is she supposed to tank through moves, zone with her ****ty side B and charge neutral B or combo people with fair and uair?

Whichever the case, Simon's giving me For Glory Link flashbacks.
But like, actually designed to be played like that.
i wouldnt worry about that too much the belmonts are a high skill character. for glory scrubs will try him out and bail on him. my guess for for glory scrub character right now is mac, ike, and cloud, and maybe fox.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Is his frame data better? Shields isn’t great at one-shot damage, but her frame data means she tumbles with the best.

I know it probably isn’t, but I thought I would ask.
As far as what's been discovered, aerials have lower landing lag, and he benefits from the universal change to jabs that keep the opponent grounded.

But otherwise, his already questionably-useful Tilts all got a range nerf, Mechakoopas in general are worse, both Up B hits are worse, the worst projectile in the game is now slow for 'follow-ups' (please actually kill me), and we can't airdodge immediately out of canceling Side B.

It's a wreck. AND HE STILL DOESN'T REGAIN CLOWN CART AFTER A WEAK HIT MID-UP B

Being a turtle is suffering in this game, first Bowser loses his Up Throw combos, now his son is double the laughing stock he was last game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, at least you're not rooting for my Square Enix most wanted...
>when you don't see anyone talking about Neku Sakuraba for Smash despite being the most unique DS game
get people.gif

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah just call this number and they'll hook you up: 1-800-273-8255

That's the National Suicide Hotline number just so ya'll know. Call it if you need help. Don't call it for a meme.
Honestly I can barely tell if i'm joking or not these days.

That wasn't a joke either.

D

Deleted member

So... Sora is essencially confirmed now?
Not really, no. He's kinda like DLC's Decidueye: Everyone keeps saying it's gonna be him no question, but there isn't really anything that suggests that.

D

Deleted member

Regarding this, something I'd like to get off my chest.

I'd like people who think being an Assist Trophy, Trophy/Spirit or whatever is a Hard Disconfirmation to show us where exactly Sakurai said that a character can never be upgraded to playable status from a different status within the same game's life cycle.

And with Assist Trophies, don't say "It hasn't happened before, so it (probably) won't", because Sakurai has broken a lot of fan rules over the course of Smash's collective development.
Honestly, the only thing Sakurai has ever been consistent on saying is how there isn't too many newcomers this time around. In fact, there's 12 of them, including the 5 echo fighters and Piranha Plant. If you remove them, there's really only 6 fully-fleshed newcomers, and yes, I'm counting Isabelle in that realm.

We've had Mewtwo and Lucas "deconfirmed" for Smash For with the 3DS trophies, we've had Daisy and practically every fighter on the roster "deconfirmed" for having a Spirit, we've had Chrom, Isabelle, King K. Rool and Inklings were "deconfirmed" because of them being Mii Costumes and/or Assist Trophies.

Y'know, except they weren't, so I don't see how it's unreasonable to continue supporting characters like Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Rex & Pyra, and tons of others like Sora, Heihachi and more. How come the only thing Xenoblade Chronicles 2-related that's DLC is a Rex costume, but everything else is in the base game? How come Heihachi wouldn't fit in, when we have characters fully-realized from 3D-plane fighters such as Akira, even if he's an AT?

We've been BTFO'd back in Smash For. We're no doubt gonna get BTFO'd by Sakurai again in Ultimate.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Not really, no. He's kinda like DLC's Decidueye: Everyone keeps saying it's gonna be him no question, but there isn't really anything that suggests that.
Spawn Wave says otherwise.

Decidueye never had any credible leaks behind him. It was always Incineroar.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Even though a slew of very credible leakers have released 3 out of the 5 DLC characters, remember

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Shroob

Sup?
I'm also conflicted in believing that Dragon Quest would get in.

I don't think the rights to Dragon Quest would be THAT hard, but oh my god the music....

The Dragon Quest composer is literal human garbage.

D

Deleted member

Spawn Wave says otherwise.
Spawn Wave isn't Nintendo, and I don't believe they've outright said "Yeah Sora".

All I've seen is people reading into vague tweets, and that's coming from someone who wants Sora and thinks he has a decent shot.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Honestly, I feel like if Square was more of a Capcom or.......I hate even saying this.....KONAMI level when it comes to Smash, they'd be willing to "Gib Geno"

But they're just, not. They want to turn as much profit as physically possible, and Geno isn't printing as many $$$$$$ as other choices, sadly.
based on what exactly? asking for geno is like going to capcom to ask for captain Commando and asking for captain commando or Q when you have legends to offer. it makes no business sense. sakurai job and duty is to Nintendo not to a fanbase that is never gonna be satisfied anyway.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
God forbid Square Enix want to market a more relevant and popular character in Smash, than a character that neither they or Nintendo has any foreseeable future use for, but simply has a vocal fan base.

Horrible marketing decision on Square Enix’s end.

-_-

Anyway, if Geno gets in, whatever. That’s fine and dandy. However, it’s more so Square’s decision than anyone, and they have a plethora of other valid options. Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts ring a bell.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
based on what exactly? asking for geno is like going to capcom to ask for captain Commando and asking for captain commando or Q when you have legends to offer. it makes no business sense. sakurai job and duty is to Nintendo not to a fanbase that is never gonna be satisfied anyway.
If we did the Capcom method, we wouldn't get Geno.

...We'd get Qeno.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think Guardian should be playable. Much like PP he could be a combination of all of the Guardian types using lasers, swords, axes, shields and rotors to fly.
download.jpg

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, the most he can have is a Mii outfit, and apparently a PNG render of his old artwork.

If he was at least like, I dunno an Assist Trophy like Bomberman is, it'd be understandable, but it seems like the rights around SMRPG are ridiculous.

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
It does look pretty bad for him, but if it's any consolation, his cannonball is followable now, which could potentially be really significant to his gameplay.

Calane

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think the best way to deduce who's the supposed Square Enix rep is to find out what "leak" ruffled SE's feathers. I remember hearing about that, but I don't think anyone has been able to pinpoint what "leak" it actually was. I have my own ideas, but it'll likely get me into an argument, so I'll refrain from sharing it at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom