• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
OK guys. Bowser Jr may literally be the worst character in Ultimate.

All of his tilts have less range.
Mechakoopa was nerfed.
Up B explosion was nerfed.
Up B Hammer seems faster but has less range.
Can still be gimped after Up B.

WHAT THE ACTUAL **** SAKURAI.
Junior just wanted to have some fun and **** some ****

SAMation

Smash Journeyman

Mechakoopa was nerfed.

Oh thats a yikes from me :(

KMDP

Smash Legend
When we have stuff like this happen, especially with Mewtwo and Lucas back in the Smash 4 days, you really can't say anything is "deconfirmed".

View attachment 175573
Regarding this, something I'd like to get off my chest.

I'd like people who think being an Assist Trophy, Trophy/Spirit or whatever is a Hard Disconfirmation to show us where exactly Sakurai said that a character can never be upgraded to playable status from a different status within the same game's life cycle.

And with Assist Trophies, don't say "It hasn't happened before, so it (probably) won't", because Sakurai has broken a lot of fan rules over the course of Smash's collective development.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm not sure you understand my hope died long ago
Also that's a very broad assumption, Isaac was thrown in just like any other Assist Trophy for example. If Geno isn't a Spirit him being only a profile image is even worse news.
Isaac isn't a third party who's been clamored for years to the point where even having a Mii Costume was seen as special enough for a Splash Screen. Being a profile image doesn't deconfirm him for DLC like a Spirit or Assist Trophy would.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Anyone have any word on Jigglypuff? You know, the previous worst character in the game? What about Dedede, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man and all the rest of the bottom tiers?
Jigs actually stood a chance against a Richter. I didn’t play her enough to know what changes were relevant. The player also wasn’t that good. She missed a free rest chance.

Seems better to me.

Edit: We already know Ganondorf and Zelda were buffed like mad. So that’s two bottom tiers rising.

Yoshi did get the egg bounce buff and that does mean something.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Don't lose hope when Geno is still totally possible. I don't even really think he's a Spirit. Otherwise, he would've definitely been shown off in some capacity or at least mentioned.
Or not.

He literally could've just not been mentioned.

A lot of characters have been skipped over being mentioned as Spirits. Geno could just fall into this category.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Anyone have any word on Jigglypuff? You know, the previous worst character in the game? What about Dedede, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man and all the rest of the bottom tiers?
We really can't determine anything yet, all of these items had items on.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Spirits do not deconfirm characters. Spirits are a replacement for random Trophies, and Lucas and Mewtwo were not deconfirmed by Trophies. Geno's presence as an icon makes him 95% guaranteed a Spirit.

Geno is less likely at this point, but by no means deconfirmed. Hold on to hope, Luigi The President Luigi The President . It's what I had to do for 10 years. If there's anywhere dreams come true, it's Smash.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Jigs actually stood a chance against a Richter. I didn’t play her enough to know what changes were relevant. The player also wasn’t that good. She missed a free rest chance.

Seems better to me.
Okay, was just trying to get abreast of the situation with Bowser Jr. to see where he'll be...

It's also taking my mind off of the fact that none of these players are using my boi

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I'd like people who think being an Assist Trophy, Trophy/Spirit or whatever is a Hard Disconfirmation to show us where exactly Sakurai said that a character can never be upgraded to playable status from a different status within the same game's life cycle.

And with Assist Trophies, don't say "It hasn't happened before, so it (probably) won't", because Sakurai has broken a lot of fan rules over the course of Smash's collective development.
It's simply unlikely from the perspective of time management. Why assign a team to the animation, texture creation, sound effects, hitboxes, AI and playtesting of the AT version of a character if you're just going to make it an actual character later?

The only possibility for an AT to be upgraded to a character is if Sakurai or the rest of the development team had a hard change of mind after making the AT and thought, "Hey, that guy should be a full-fledged character!" Not impossible, but also not at all likely. We shouldn't treat it as a fact so much as a reasonable assumption that could be disproven in the future.

Sakurai does whatever the **** Sakurai wants.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Jiggs seems a lot better than Smash 4 with the decreased landing lag changes, as well as her run speed being much better and apparently B-Air to B-Air is a thing now. Also with the increased importance of edgeguarding one of Puff's strongest traits becomes that much better, so I'd say she at least escapes out of the worst character pit, especially with the nerfs to another bottom-tier in 4. (Rest in peace Bowser Jr.)

Every other bottom-tier (Dedede, Zelda, Ganondorf Wii Fit, Pac-Man, Falco, Doc, some others iirc) also got buffed pretty significantly, except maybe Doc.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'll only tackle Jigglypuff here since I haven't seen too much of the others in action.

On first glance, she actually looks better than she did in 4 and Brawl. While the person playing her wasn't very good, she seemed to hold her own against Richter and was actually able to survive to rage %.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Mechakoopa was nerfed.

Bowser Jr. slept with Sakurai's wife. Hence the sharp nerfs.

Either that or he bullied Kirby and/or Pit. Don't mess with Daddy Sakurai.
Isaac isn't a third party who's been clamored for years to the point where even having a Mii Costume was seen as special enough for a Splash Screen. Being a profile image doesn't deconfirm him for DLC like a Spirit or Assist Trophy would.
You're right. He's a first party who's been clamored for for years. He seeming had everything lined up for him.

And he was still made into an assist trophy.

It's more than possible for Geno to meet a similar fate.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair, Sakurai only added Lucas because he thought Mother 3 was also releasing outside of Japan.
He however kept Lucas in despite knowing this and made sure Ness is still in to appeal to Western audiences. So he ignored it overall instead of keeping Lucas out.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I have updated my roster. I'm execpting Ridley to fall off first most likely and sadly, but we'll see:

Screenshot_2018-11-04 Warchamp7 - Post Your Roster Ultimate.png

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

YEAH OKAY, SO APPARENTLY WOLF SPENT THE LAST TEN YEARS TURNING INTO THE COOLEST CHARACTER IN THE ENTIRE GAME.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Zelda is nothing but buffs.

But considering a lot of the cast is buffed, we'll need to see her in action for awhile post-launch to determine if those buffs amount to anything. This is definitely the best version of Zelda yet, though, without question.

inb4 "but her old downB was what made her good! hurr hurr

LetterO

Smash Lord
Or not.

He literally could've just not been mentioned.

A lot of characters have been skipped over being mentioned as Spirits. Geno could just fall into this category.
I guess, but it seems weird how casually he's glossed over and not even shown outside of a profile cion.

Shroob

Sup?
But him being a 3rd party is his biggest issue.

:ultridley::ultkrool:? Easy, Nintendo owns them.

Geno tho? Square's not in this to make us collectively NUTT, they want a profit. No matter how I look at it, comparing the likes of Geno to Sora or Dragon Quest is a losing battle.

Yeah, 'we' want Geno, the hardcore Smash fanbase, but 'we' are the minority of people who are going to be buying this game.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Okay, was just trying to get abreast of the situation with Bowser Jr. to see where he'll be...

It's also taking my mind off of the fact that none of these players are using my boi
No one used Olimar, either. I have seen one video with him in it since the full game has been playable. It was blurry and had 4 players. I learned nothing except the speed and trajectory of the Pikmin seem altered and have glowing trails...sometimes? Maybe a smash throw option added.

And the treehouse where he was played had 8 players and the dude had no idea what he was doing. Couldn’t see it anyways.

You aren’t alone. You have a month. People are gonna get chances to play throughout November. Just keep an eye out and worry less. You’re gonna play him anyways.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

The best way to think of it, in my opinion, is 'it's a pattern until it isn't anymore". It's best to assume 'fan-made rules' are true until Sakurai breaks them himself, thereby shattering the preconception and opening the floodgate. Lucas and Mewtwo broke down the 'Trophies deconfirm characters' border, Piranha Plant obliterated the 'no generic entities' rule, perhaps one day the 'Assists aren't upgraded in the same game' rule could be broken, but time will tell.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bowser Jr. slept with Sakurai's wife. Hence the sharp nerfs.

Either that or he bullied Kirby and/or Pit. Don't mess with Daddy Sakurai.

You're right. He's a first party who's been clamored for for years. He seeming had everything lined up for him.

And he was still made into an assist trophy.

It's more than possible for Geno to meet a similar fate.
I thought Kirby was bottom tier for three games straight.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Spirits do not deconfirm characters. Spirits are a replacement for random Trophies, and Lucas and Mewtwo were not deconfirmed by Trophies. Geno's presence as an icon makes him 95% guaranteed a Spirit.

Geno is less likely at this point, but by no means deconfirmed. Hold on to hope, Luigi The President Luigi The President . It's what I had to do for 10 years. If there's anywhere dreams come true, it's Smash.
I think its pretty safe to give up hope on Geno. Base roster was seemingly his chance given the many fan favorite choices and it didn't happen.

In fact, despite multiple attempts from Sakurai it still hasn't happened. Geno still isn't in Smash. Why?

Because Square Enix seems to refuse to let Geno be a playable character over their over more popular and relevant characters, and will only make minor concessions (Mii Costume, Spirit, etc.) to appease his fans.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It seems decently likely that the Belmont’s will be high tier. Like, watching the gameplay and seeing people throw out cross to cover horizontal recovery, then axe to cover low recovery, and then Holy Water to cover the ledge all while being able to go after them off stage in between is crazy. The ONLY bad thing they have going for them is their recovery and close up combat. I’m close up combat though their jab and down smash does some work in making some space. And their recovery is also boosted by the fact they have a tether as well.

The Belmont’s are going to be ****ing whack in this game, guys.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
No one used Olimar, either. I have seen one video with him in it since the full game has been playable. It was blurry and had 4 players. I learned nothing except the speed and trajectory of the Pikmin seem altered and have glowing trails...sometimes? Maybe a smash throw option added.

And the treehouse where he was played had 8 players and the dude had no idea what he was doing. Couldn’t see it anyways.

You aren’t alone. You have a month. People are gonna get chances to play throughout November. Just keep an eye out and worry less. You’re gonna play him anyways.
What's funny is that the Treehouse was referring to "Bill's Yoshi" as if it was a force to be reckoned with. Yeah sure... :yoshi:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I think its pretty safe to give up hope on Geno. Base roster was seemingly his chance given the many fan favorite choices and it didn't happen.

In fact, despite multiple attempts from Sakurai it still hasn't happened. Geno still isn't in Smash. Why?

Because Square Enix seems to refuse to let Geno be a playable character over their over more popular and relevant characters, and will only make minor concessions (Mii Costume, Spirit, etc.) to appease his fans.
It’s always safe to give up hope. It’s a downright popular choice. Has the least drawbacks and the greatest of rewards(pleasant surprise).

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I feel like if Square was more of a Capcom or.......I hate even saying this.....KONAMI level when it comes to Smash, they'd be willing to "Gib Geno"

But they're just, not. They want to turn as much profit as physically possible, and Geno isn't printing as many $$$$$$ as other choices, sadly.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Also, I noticed Sheik got a new victory theme. I can’t really pin point what it is though through the yelling of the announcers. Anybody got an idea what it is? Serenade of Water or something?

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Kirby’s actually considered mid-tier in Brawl, he’s only been especially bad in Melee and Smash 4. His Ultimate incarnation is looking to be better than 4 at least, I’m keeping myself hopeful!

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I thought he was mid-tier in Brawl?

I mean, we collectively forget the Brawl tier list outside of Metaknight at the top, Link at the bottom, but I'm pretty sure Kirby was mid-range.

I mean, I know that doesn't mean much for Kirby fans.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
It seems decently likely that the Belmont’s will be high tier. Like, watching the gameplay and seeing people throw out cross to cover horizontal recovery, then axe to cover low recovery, and then Holy Water to cover the ledge all while being able to go after them off stage in between is crazy. The ONLY bad thing they have going for them is their recovery and close up combat. I’m close up combat though their jab and down smash does some work in making some space. And their recovery is also boosted by the fact they have a tether as well.

The Belmont’s are going to be ****ing whack in this game, guys.
And it's exciting. I'm really looking forward to them.

(Not as much as Inkling and Chrom, but I'm for sure gonna try them out quite a bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom