• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Honestly I like seeing people freak out about Granblue cause Verge didn't support it, he's not certain on it at all but thinks "Yeah this guy DID have info which checked out with mine so that might be legit" yet people go "NOOOOO NOT THE ANIME MOBILE CHARACTER WE'RE DOOOOOOMEDL
I know you’re secretly just as pissed as everyone else and gotta act like a ****poster to cover it up, but again: Verge saying Hitagi is reliable is literally the same as him confirming Katalina.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just so you know, if Geno wasn't equippable, that would be the equivalent of Sakurai holding up a flashing neon sign that says, "Geno's playable guys!!!"

Spirits don't disconfirm anyone, and that's coming from someone who doesn't even support Geno.

I'm sure people are going to disagree, and that's totally fine, but after speaking to a good amount of people on the topic, I don't know that the Rex Mii Fighter Costume Hard-Deconfirms him. While the wording can be interpreted many ways, and after viewing the Direct more than one time, I find that the wording could absolutely be interpreted as "If XC2 was out earlier, Rex definitely could have made the roster. Sorry, here's a consolation prize". I originally thought the entire section was about how all DLC was decided on before the roster was decided, and that may be the case. But my interpretation has changed.

Furthermore, the Rex costume is only available to fans who buy the DLC pass. It's not something that, as of right now, you can purchase separately. You aren't actually paying for the costume itself, so there's also the fact that even if Rex as an actual fighter came out as DLC down the line, it's not like a wasted investment.

Then, there's the fact that there's a Nia Mii Fighter costume in-game already which may not mean anything at all. It just seems weird that Nia would be base game, while a Rex costume isn't. Rex & Pyra are rather popular in Japan, so I'm not sure that the costume itself will actually completely satisfy the fans.

Another thing that may or may not matter, but a character who is only slightly older than Rex is Spring Man, and he was made into an Assist Trophy. While it's all fan-made conjecture, I personally believe that Assist Trophy status eliminates characters from the running for DLC character potential. Mii Fighter costumes, in my humble opinion (and I'm not just saying this because I want it to be true or something), don't disconfirm any character, considering we still have Link, Captain Falcon, Chrom, and even Skull Kid. Skull Kid isn't like the other 3, but I personally don't think it means he's totally out of the picture either. Basically, Rex and Pyra could have definitely been an Assist Trophy, but they aren't. The door remains open (potentially) for Rex to come later.

I don't know how likely it is for Rex to get into the game at this point. I hope he gets in...he's got the popularity, and at the very least isn't an Assist Trophy. I won't necessarily go on a huge campaign for it because I don't have the time or energy, and it may not mean anything in the first place. But I would place a Xenoblade newcomer, if there are going to be Nintendo characters as DLC, as having pretty high prospects.

In general, I wouldn't be so hasty in considering Mii Costumes or Spirits as disconfirmations. That would eliminate an extreme amount of options for sure, and there's already evidence to show that they don't disconfirm characters in the first place.
Based on how much time Sakurai spent on XB2 content, I think it's a bad omen for Rex. It could still happen I guess, but if K. Rool is anything to go by, DLC Mii Costumes typically don't end well for characters.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also it’s popular in Japan, Sakurai doesn’t always have to support us West bois and Gals.
I fail to see what that has to do with me pointing out fearmongering and misinformation about this whole thing cause people are acting like Verge doubled down on her
I'm sorry to the Elma fans, but I don't think she's getting in the game as playable. I mean, Rex was a much more popular choice and the best he got was a mii costume, which tells me that Elma doesn't really have much of a chance, since she's not as popular as him.
What gets me is that there's seemingly no X music whatsoever. So unless they're hidden behind CDs, that's an entire game of a franchise with pretty much nothing. That. That's actually kind of sad wow

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry to the Elma fans, but I don't think she's getting in the game as playable. I mean, Rex was a much more popular choice and the best he got was a mii costume, which tells me that Elma doesn't really have much of a chance, since she's not as popular as him.
Ignoring the fact that Rex's design and personality seems to be a bit more controversial than Elma (he's still popular overall), his popularity has literally nothing to do with him not being playable. It's just that his game was too late for him to be developed, as straight up said by Sakurai. Elma's was not, however, and there is a somewhat suspicious lack of XBX content. Doesn't mean she's in, obviously, but comparing the popularity of the two characters is a moot point to me since it played no role in Rex's fate.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It depends. We also saw Spirits of the Kaptain K. Rool and the Male Wii Fit Trainer. These probably just replace the regular fighter trophies from Classic Mode
Not the same. Those fighter spirit can be brought from the shop and I'll explain once again.

The Wii fit thing is the spirit of the YOGA POSE he's making, not the fighter itself like in the smash 4/3ds trophies since it's what was used to represent Wii fit series.

Also Kaptain K.Rool is considered another Character different from the King in every Smash it was referenced.

How does this de-confirm characters? I guess I'm not understanding that part
Fighters Spirit are spirit of the fighters. A collection to enjoy the different arts.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
because if he was gonna be a fighter, his spirits would be unequiptable and I assume it is equiptable
How does this de-confirm characters? I guess I'm not understanding that part
We saw geno's spirit equiped. We can assume basically every spirit that isn't already a fighter will be equipable, which means deconfirmed, because fighter spirits are unequipable.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
What gets me is that there's seemingly no X music whatsoever. So unless they're hidden behind CDs, that's an entire game of a franchise with pretty much nothing. That. That's actually kind of sad wow
And that's the cold, hard truth. I don't think it's looking good for Elma personally

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
The only people I tend to see that literally can't tell that two different people wearing two different sets of clothes and using two swords that despite canonically being the same weapon also don't look alike are two different people are people on forums arguing against FE.
I have never actually met a casual player that had any issue telling the FE characters apart :/
I’m a bit late on this, but as a somewhat casual, I find all the FE characters incredibly samey (especially in looks). Glad the roster is so large to drown out the FE reps a bit when I randomize CPUs.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Not the same. Those fighter spirit can be brought from the shop and I'll explain once again.

The Wii fit thing is the spirit of the YOGA POSE he's making, not the fighter itself like in the smash 4/3ds trophies since it's what was used to represent Wii fit series.

Also Kaptain K.Rool is considered another Character different from the King in every Smash it was referenced.

Fighters Spirit are spirit of the fighters. A collection to enjoy the different arts.
Do we have any figher spirits of playable characters, like a K Rool fighter spirit?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just so you know, if Geno wasn't equippable, that would be the equivalent of Sakurai holding up a flashing neon sign that says, "Geno's playable guys!!!"

Spirits don't disconfirm anyone, and that's coming from someone who doesn't even support Geno.

Based on how much time Sakurai spent on XB2 content, I think it's bad omen for Rex. It could still happen I guess, but if K. Rool is anything to go by, DLC Mii Costumes typically don't end well for characters.
Like I said, I don't think he's a lock. But I also believe that if there's going to be a newcomer from a Nintendo series, and the Rex costume is specifically packaged into the Fighter Pass as a bonus, Xenoblade has a pretty good shot at getting a playable character, Elma or Rex. My interpretation is simply different from others.

I mean, we even had the expectation that, "No way they'll ever add a generic enemy species as a playable character!" Obviously that doesn't mean that, "Anything can happen with this game!" but I simply wouldn't be surprised if Rex got in after all of this. Call it a hunch.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... something random I realized about Super Smash Bros Ultimate...
We learned about it in March, and It's coming out in December... 9 months in total... Like a baby...
Smash Ultimate is Sakurai's baby confirmed...

D

Deleted member

While i am open to Katalina, i don’t see the point of her being a Japanese demanded rep as a good one.

She has a lack of requests on the DLC picks there, so she would even surprise the fans there, unless she is the fifth fighter that doesn’t have a criteria of popularity.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We're back on that Katalina chick? That's definitely a character I feel nothing towards, so it's pretty whatever.

Sora or Geno aren't guys I care too much about either, but I can at least appriciate how much this particular community wants them and all that. Hell Sora's popular in general. Square's got plenty of characters to pull from. Lara Croft would be my choice, but Crono's there too, as is a ton of Dragon Quest characters. And funnily enough, I think people are sleeping a bit on another potential Final Fantasy character.

Banjo, or any Microsoft character I generally doubt will actually make it in. Phil might want it, but who's to say Nintendo's a-okay with having a competitors IP in their crossover? Not impossible, but I don't want to get my hopes up for it, even if Fulgore would be sick.

Obviously I'm about getting that 2nd Mega Man character or Tekken character. But my bias aside if these polls based on who voted for what on the Ballot and other such things, Bandanna Dee seems pretty popular. And the whole "Hat Goomba" thing might not matter anymore, if it ever did. Phoenix Wright's also fairly popular, certainly more so than Ryu when it came to Smash support.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I fail to see what that has to do with me pointing out fearmongering and misinformation about this whole thing cause people are acting like Verge doubled down on her

Take a chill pill and breath. I wasn’t fear mongering. Breath kiddo.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, I've never thought they were. I'm just happy they kept the Chrom costume in.

With Robin's Final Smash not changing, there needs to be a video of Robin using Chrom against Chrom and The Chrome.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
We saw geno's spirit equiped. We can assume basically every spirit that isn't already a fighter will be equipable, which means deconfirmed, because fighter spirits are unequipable.
So the fighter spirits are spirits that are playable characters?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Honestly I like seeing people freak out about Granblue cause Verge didn't support it, he's not certain on it at all but thinks "Yeah this guy DID have info which checked out with mine so that might be legit" yet people go "NOOOOO NOT THE ANIME MOBILE CHARACTER WE'RE DOOOOOOMEDL
That was another thing, Verge never heard about it at all.

All Verge did was try to put two and two together. He still doesn’t know what the Minecraft content is either and if Steve is a character. We simply assumed that it was due to how the Fighter Pass works, which even then, we don’t know Sakurai’s full plan for DLC.

Steve and Katalina are still simply speculation.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about it. Is Rhythm Heaven the only notable Nintendo franchise without any sort of notable content in Smash Bros.?

Panel de Pon/Puzzle League: Item and Mii Costume
Golden Sun: Assist Trophy
Starfy: Assist Trophy
Dillon: Assist Trophy
Custom Robo: Mii Costume
Chibi Robo: Mii Costume
ARMS: Assist Trophy and Mii Costume

Thinking about it. Advance Wars/Famicom Wars is now missing their Assist Trophy too.
Panel de Pon also has Lip's Garbage Block as Kirby's Stone transformation.
The series is officially called Panel de Pon (which the Lip stage in the direct has clearly shown), and the name Puzzle League actually lacks a trademark by Nintendo which is evident by Sega actually using this as a name of a mode in Puyo Puyo Tetris. Panel de Pon always had a trademark its titles or the (r) after the Nintendo Puzzle Collection game. If the series was officially called "Puzzle League" outside of Japan, I bet Nintendo would've trademarked the name if they considered that name a brand but they didn't and also retitle Pokemon Puzzle Challenge under a "Puzzle League" name when the game was released on virtual console, you know how protective they are of their IPs. The properties to use over "Panel de Pon" was always used so they didn't think of trademarking the name of the series as the brand that is used over Pdp is only protected by the Pokemon, Tetris or AC, not PL. The Puzzle League GBA and Planet Puzzle League has nothing to protect them from using Puzzle League because it lacks characters

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Why are you so mean to my faves :(
I’m just glad I don’t have to worry about a character I have no interest in from a game that was censored to kingdom come in America getting a DLC spot. More chances for some of my faves.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
I know you’re secretly just as pissed as everyone else [/B]and gotta act like a ****poster to cover it up, but again: Verge saying Hitagi is reliable is literally the same as him confirming Katalina.
That's a very bold claim, never knew you were everyone...except me...and maybe (aka: not guaranteed) others.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
And that's the cold, hard truth. I don't think it's looking good for Elma personally
I think it actually greatly improves Elma's chances. If there's no Xenoblade X music then they are likely saving it for the fighter bundle that Elma will be in.

D

Deleted member

It’s not that bad but Resetera is making a big deal about it because they cry a lot. It’s literally not the big of a deal.
Those guys should chill out.

The move has been there since Melee, so there isn’t anything that they can do now.

They have to get over it, and grow up.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know you’re secretly just as pissed as everyone else and gotta act like a ****poster to cover it up, but again: Verge saying Hitagi is reliable is literally the same as him confirming Katalina.
First of all, I literally don't care who they add, my heart begs Dante and Bandana Dee but if all we get is **** like idk, Banjo, Geno, Katalina, Wollywog and that one random Animal Crossing villager Sakurai picked when blindfolded I wouldn't even care, I've already gotten Ridley and even the goddamn plant was hype as hell for me due to "What the ****". Only thing I'm salty about now is that K.Rool's trailer didn't do a good job at showing his more wacky moves amd that Little Mac doesn't have blue boxing gloves anymore

Second, no it isn't
Take a chill pill and breath. I wasn’t fear mongering. Breath kiddo.
Grandpa Mike put your reading glasses on I wasn't talking about you when I was talking about fear mongerers. You're just taking it with a grain of salt and entertaining the idea lol. I'm talking at the people treating it like fact and getting mad and upset

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That was another thing, Verge never heard about it at all.

All Verge did was try to put two and two together. He still doesn’t know what the Minecraft content is either and if Steve is a character. We simply assumed that it was due to how the Fighter Pass works, which even then, we don’t know Sakurai’s full plan for DLC.

Steve and Katalina are still simply speculation.
But Vergeben trusts this other guy, and so we probably should too

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Geno was not a Spirit. He was a battle icon for online I believe was he not?
Paper Bowser was also a Battle Icons. And with Paper Mario being a spirit, I'm betting you that spirit you unlock can be used as icons for online

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
First of all, I literally don't care who they add, my heart begs Dante and Bandana Dee but if all we get is **** like idk, Banjo, Geno, Katalina, Wollywog and that one random Animal Crossing villager Sakurai picked when blindfolded I wouldn't even care, I've already gotten Ridley and even the goddamn plant was hype as hell for me due to "What the ****". Only thing I'm salty about now is that K.Rool's trailer didn't do a good job at showing his more wacky moves amd that Little Mac doesn't have blue boxing gloves anymore

Second, no it isn't

Grandpa Mike put your reading glasses on I wasn't talking about you when I was talking about fear mongerers. You're just taking it with a grain of salt and entertaining the idea lol. I'm talking at the people treating it like fact and getting mad and upset
Hey you know what else was “fearmongering and misinfo”?
The box theory

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
I got a feeling that, when the dlc fighters are revealed, everyone is gonna go to war...even worse if more dlc is confirmed after those fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom