• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I hope I'm not coming off as a downer. I'm not trying to be. I'm just trying to be realistic. After what Vergeben said about the final newcomers and about Issac being an AT and after the Grinch leak turned out to be fake, I'm just trying to think realistically. I'm not trying to turn down everyone's predictions, but if they're not characters Vergeben is saying then I don't think they'll be in the game.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Good morning, y'all!

Still hyped. I just cant wait lol.

Personally I wouldnt buy the minecraft guy as DLC, and for that reason i'm really thinking too much about buying the "season pass".

RandomAce

Smash Champion
What if I told you that I leaked Sora. I have been pegging him as the perfect DLC candidate from the very start...

IT WAS ME!

On a serious note, are we going to be talking about Sora, Steve, and Katalina for the next 12 months? This is gonna suck... I feel like we already know 3 of them, and so far none of the newcomers really interest me, and Sora sorta lost me overtime.

But, there’s a lot of suspicion regarding the Minecraft and Grandblue character. I have no problem with Sora since there were a lot of reason for his inclusion as DLC, but Minecraft and more importantly, Grandblue strike me odd. I don’t think we’re getting a Grandblue character, and the leaker behind it just appeared out of nowhere with this one.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
I hope I'm not coming off as a downer. I'm not trying to be. I'm just trying to be realistic. After what Vergeben said about the final newcomers and about Issac being an AT and after the Grinch leak turned out to be fake, I'm just trying to think realistically. I'm not trying to turn down everyone's predictions, but if they're not characters Vergeben is saying then I don't think they'll be in the game.
I mean, I don't think Vergeben said all 5 newcomers yet.
We have Steve, the Granbull waifu and Sora. Am I missing someone?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
- Square-Enix Character will be First DLC he's sure of it
- He Actually heard SEVEN Square-Enix Characters names. Three of them are recurring more than the others and he already got deconfirmation about some of the seven names.
- Minecraft content possibly DLC
- He however didn't heard anything about Katalina, but he said that Hitagi is pretty much reliable
-Supposedly Sakurai favorise Guest/Third Parties from what he heard
>Forbidden Seven
>Grinch Seven
>Square-Enix Seven

Why does this number come up so much in speculation? :dizzy:

Yeah, if Smash was handled like that game then we'd have Bad Boxart Mega Man and Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man and his teeth.

*shudder*
Then there's Soul Calibur IV, which had Star Wars characters and brand-new literally who characters made by manga authors.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Unequipable Fighter Spirits confirmed.

So Fighter Spirits cannot be equipped to your playable character and are only there as collectables just to look at? I mean I'm fine with that, but I just want to make sure I understand

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm sure people are going to disagree, and that's totally fine, but after speaking to a good amount of people on the topic, I don't know that the Rex Mii Fighter Costume Hard-Deconfirms him. While the wording can be interpreted many ways, and after viewing the Direct more than one time, I find that the wording could absolutely be interpreted as "If XC2 was out earlier, Rex definitely could have made the roster. Sorry, here's a consolation prize". I originally thought the entire section was about how all DLC was decided on before the roster was decided, and that may be the case. But my interpretation has changed.

Furthermore, the Rex costume is only available to fans who buy the DLC pass. It's not something that, as of right now, you can purchase separately. You aren't actually paying for the costume itself, so there's also the fact that even if Rex as an actual fighter came out as DLC down the line, it's not like a wasted investment.

Then, there's the fact that there's a Nia Mii Fighter costume in-game already which may not mean anything at all. It just seems weird that Nia would be base game, while a Rex costume isn't. Rex & Pyra are rather popular in Japan, so I'm not sure that the costume itself will actually completely satisfy the fans.

Another thing that may or may not matter, but a character who is only slightly older than Rex is Spring Man, and he was made into an Assist Trophy. While it's all fan-made conjecture, I personally believe that Assist Trophy status eliminates characters from the running for DLC character potential. Mii Fighter costumes, in my humble opinion (and I'm not just saying this because I want it to be true or something), don't disconfirm any character, considering we still have Link, Captain Falcon, Chrom, and even Skull Kid. Skull Kid isn't like the other 3, but I personally don't think it means he's totally out of the picture either. Basically, Rex and Pyra could have definitely been an Assist Trophy, but they aren't. The door remains open (potentially) for Rex to come later.

I don't know how likely it is for Rex to get into the game at this point. I hope he gets in...he's got the popularity, and at the very least isn't an Assist Trophy. I won't necessarily go on a huge campaign for it because I don't have the time or energy, and it may not mean anything in the first place. But I would place a Xenoblade newcomer, if there are going to be Nintendo characters as DLC, as having pretty high prospects.

In general, I wouldn't be so hasty in considering Mii Costumes or Spirits as disconfirmations. That would eliminate an extreme amount of options for sure, and there's already evidence to show that they don't disconfirm characters in the first place.

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
I really hope vergeben is completely wrong with his dlc infos...

Nothing against steve, but steve instead of banjo? I dont know man...

And katalina? Japan only character as dlc? I dont know man...

Imo dlc should be more nintendo characters than third party. Its not like there are no nintendo characters left. Even if characters after 2016 are out of the game. (Dixie Kong, Elma, Bandana Dee, Rhythm Heaven, Retro characters and many more)

Every dlc character had history with nintendo. Vergebens infos contradicts with this. I know having history with nintendo is not a rule and sakurai can make whatever he wants, but i could always gladly accept every third party in smash until now.

With this tradition out of the way, i dont know man...

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mean, I don't think Vergeben said all 5 newcomers yet.
We have Steve, the Granbull waifu and Sora. Am I missing someone?
That's correct; you aren't missing anyone. There are two more that are up in the air, but I'm just saying people don't need to think Geno and Banjo are gonna be in the DLC, because realistically they have basically no chance at this point. I just don't want people to get overhyped and then let down when their speculated character doesn't come to fruition, that's all

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You know, people used to poke fun at me for thinking Don-chan has a high chance as a potential Namco rep, and a newcomer.
Then the Piranha plant happened.

So, now what do you all think about having this drum becoming a potential newcomer and namco bandai rep, and what do you think his odds compared to other namco reps are? This thing is insanely iconic and popular in Japan.
b053f9d.jpg
Did I hear Don-chan? Ive been playing Drum n Fun all day since yesterday. Big big biig time Taiko fan, Don would be amazing in smash

D

Deleted member

My problem with Scorpion / Subzero is that Mortal Kombat hasn't had a game released in Japan in nearly 20 years.
This makes me sad because I'd love to have Scorpion in Smash.

Throw him in for the west and Japan gets Granblue. It's perfect.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Season 1 pass (which I assume will be the only season)

Steve - forget it I’m not leaving this train Vergeben said Minecraft content and it was doubled down and I’m assuming it’s thats because of dlc he realized it’s probably one of the packs it might be the VGA reveal get over it I know most of you don’t want Steve but it’s Happening would not mind being wrong

Sora or geno - again verge said a square rep it will be one or the other

Heihachi - this is something Sakurai wanted in smash 4 roadblocks was difficult to implament movesets and more importantly pac-man

Bandana dee - high on the ballot and the arguements are toast due to piranha plant

Banjo - another ballot pick basicly but this is a long shot tough do to steve

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I really hope vergeben is completely wrong with his dlc infos...

Nothing against steve, but steve instead of banjo? I dont know man...

And katalina? Japan only character as dlc? I dont know man...

Imo dlc should be more nintendo characters than third party. Its not like there are no nintendo characters left. Even if characters after 2016 are out of the game. (Dixie Kong, Elma, Bandana Dee, Rhythm Heaven, Retro characters and many more)

Every dlc character had history with nintendo. Vergebens infos contradicts with this. I know having history with nintendo is not a rule and sakurai can make whatever he wants, but i could always gladly accept every third party in smash until now.

With this tradition out of the way, i dont know man...
I think it's okay to hope he's wrong, but I wouldn't expect him to be wrong. He hasn't really been wrong before for this game. Steve over Banjo makes a lot more sense from a marketing standpoint. Banjo seems too good to be true, and so he probably is, just like the Grinch leak was.

As for Katalina, it's not like it's the first time we've had Japan-only characters (Marth and Roy in Melee). Putting her in the game could be a good way to get Granblue Fantasy introduced to the west, just like what happened with Fire Emblem.

I think DLC will be more 3rd party than 1st party, since 3rd party characters appeal to a wider, more general audience instead of just the Nintendo fans, so I think DLC makes more sense to be mostly 3rd party. I expect one Nintendo DLC character at most.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I enjoy the idea of elma being in a dlc spot, specially if it comes with a XBCX stage and music! (why this is not on the base game????)

SO far my early predictions:

-Sora
-Steve
-Katalina
-Elma
-Crash Bandicot.

And my wishlist: (not including ATs)
-Solaire (dark souls)
-Elma
-Nightmare (soul calibur)
-Urbosa/ Mipha or Kass (would work having the powers like link of teh 4 champions, kinda how like zelda have the 3 magic spells that link uses on Ocarina of Time) along with a cooler BOTW stage, maybe Rito village?
-Steve (honestly every time infantile vitriol gets thrown at him makes me wish him a little more, and im confident that he could have an amazing moveset.)

all in all, if my predicted DLC list comes true, i actually like that list a lot.

Last edited:

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
I highly doubt fighter spirits deconfirm characters. After all, since we have a pretty fair selection of choices to narrow down, and we saw that Bandana Dee, Elma, etc. just didn't have spirits at all, we'd be able to easily deduce they'd be DLC, and I'd bet Sakurai wouldn't want his DLC picks being that easily predictable.

Unless the DLC is all third party, in which uh.. rip.

Early predictions rn:
> Sora
> Elma
> Geno
> Lloyd Irving
> Banjo

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly I like seeing people freak out about Granblue cause Verge didn't support it, he's not certain on it at all but thinks "Yeah this guy DID have info which checked out with mine so that might be legit" yet people go "NOOOOO NOT THE ANIME MOBILE CHARACTER WE'RE DOOOOOOMEDL

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Then, there's the fact that there's a Nia Mii Fighter costume in-game already which may not mean anything at all. It just seems weird that Nia would be base game, while a Rex costume isn't. Rex & Pyra are rather popular in Japan, so I'm not sure that the costume itself will actually completely satisfy the fans.
In another odd situation, it looks like that in addition to being a Spirit, Saki has been moved to being a Mii Fighter (Gunner?) costumer.

Considering most Assist Trophies are just copy/paste model rips from the Wii U version and other games (TvC Zero?), I find it odd to cut him from his role in the previous two games.

D

Deleted member

But I actually want Katalina...
Does that make me a weeb?
Yes

I'd be fine with her getting in too, because ice powers are neat. She wouldn't be my first choice, but I firmly believe that we've reached the absolute bottom of the barrel. All the good choices are already in, or ineligible due to timing. Anyone is welcome. except shantae

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Honestly I like seeing people freak out about Granblue cause Verge didn't support it, he's not certain on it at all but thinks "Yeah this guy DID have info which checked out with mine so that might be legit" yet people go "NOOOOO NOT THE ANIME MOBILE CHARACTER WE'RE DOOOOOOMEDL
Also it’s popular in Japan, Sakurai doesn’t always have to support us West bois and Gals.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
But I actually want Katalina...
Does that make me a weeb?
Not at all. Of course, I really want Katalina as well. And we all know they would never give out two seperate characters for two seperate regions. It would take too much time and effort just to release two unique fighters at the same time. If they're going to release a character as DLC, it's going to be released worldwide. But we know that.

D

Deleted member

In another odd situation, it looks like that in addition to being a Spirit, Saki has been moved to being a Mii Fighter (Gunner?) costumer.

Considering most Assist Trophies are just copy/paste model rips from the Wii U version and other games (TvC Zero?), I find it odd to cut him from his role in the previous two games.

OH MY GOD CHROME FROM THE FIRE EMBULL IS STILL IN!

I'm happy that music seems relatively cheap though.

D

Deleted member

If a Mewtwo trophy in Smash 4 didn't deconfirm Mewtwo, any spirit in Ultimate won't be a deconfirmation either. Nothing's changed about the DLC situation since the direct, and it's pretty much all free 24.99$ real estate.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm sorry to the Elma fans, but I don't think she's getting in the game as playable. I mean, Rex was a much more popular choice and the best he got was a mii costume, which tells me that Elma doesn't really have much of a chance, since she's not as popular as him.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
OH MY GOD CHROME FROM THE FIRE EMBULL IS STILL IN!

I'm happy that music seems relatively cheap though.
Mii Costumes are definitely not de-confirmations.

So...any equipable spirit is a deconfirmation then?
Oh boy...the graveyard is going to be big
It depends. We also saw Spirits of the Kaptain K. Rool and the Male Wii Fit Trainer. These probably just replace the regular fighter trophies from Classic Mode.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
So Smash U has a racial controversy now. Prepare yourselves, the smash community is about to get ugly.

D

Deleted member

Also it’s popular in Japan, Sakurai doesn’t always have to support us West bois and Gals.
Thing is, Japanese Smash fans don’t demand Katalina a lot for DLC.

I shared the days before who they apparently want the most, but i guess that some ignored me.

Just in case, the four most popular picks are:

-Sora
-Banjo
-Geno
-And a huge surprise: Crash

The partners who found this and i were surprised with this, mostly with Crash.

Unless Katalina is the fifth character (who we can’t give a concensus), there will be some dissapointment too there, although maybe not as big as in the west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom