• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Let's be honest here, PP moveset is godlike. Of all Mario generic enemies, he was probably the most realizable in terms of movepool - Petey Piranha as final smash fits perfectly. Even Waluigi couldn't have a better moveset, in my opinion.
I dunno. Shy Guy and Koopa Troopa are VERY versatile and have a bunch of forms plus have used many weapons.

Piranha Plant was chosen as a joke and because he was likely just the most bizarre character they could get creative with.

D

Deleted member

I think Geno's chances have been shot in the kneecaps if you ask me, but that doesn't mean that I think that a good majority of people who support him are bandwagoners. Some of them genuienly want to see him in Smash. Same goes for Sora and any other character.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Prove it.
Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. [TN1] I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try.
source

He just went for Cloud. Cloud had NOTHING to do with GENO, nothing at all, NADA

Something just flew over your head.. did you see it?
It was a joke *forehead slap*
You missed the bait picture :happysheep:

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
At the risk of strawmaning, "spirits deconfirms characters" is the new "music theory deconfirms characters".
Mewtwo had a trophy in Smash 3DS, and then a second, higher quality fighter trophy was added if you got the DLC.

There's a really good chance they aren't showing current fighter spirits yet because they're the reward for clearing classic mode. They are the replacement for trophies, after all.
Technically speaking, the original Music Theory that the whole mess spawned off of ("the suspicious lack of Xenoblade X content in this game, particularly music, is incredibly suspicious") still holds water...

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
Just heard about Vergeben's DLC leaks and he obviously has the most credible information overall, so, in light of these revelatioms, I think it is now completely rational to abandon any credence of the Grinch leak. I still want to know wtf that was though.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Let's be honest here, PP moveset is godlike. Of all Mario generic enemies, he was probably the most realizable in terms of movepool - Petey Piranha as final smash fits perfectly. Even Waluigi couldn't have a better moveset, in my opinion.
I think Koopa Troopa has a lot of moveset potential to if he decided to borrow moves from other koopa types. Hammer throws, boomeragns, fire balls, throwing spinies, a paratroopa or lakitu recovery, ect.

That said, Piranha Plant is way funnier and is extremely creative, so I think he's still probably the best pick of the Mario mooks. I can't imagine a koopa doing anything as cool as that move where he extends his neck halfway across the stage. Besides, we've already got a few koopas in the roster, one of them is in my avatar.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I mean, Piranha Plant proved that generic enemies can get in Smash.

And Slime is a generic enemy that also happens to be the mascot of Dragon Quest.
Totally. But that logic also applies to any other series. Kremlings, Metroid series aliens, Pikmin enemies, A robot enemy from Sonic the Hedgehog, a soldier from Metal gear, a subordinate of a Maverick from Megaman, the perceivable list of characters is now, suddenly, any character from any game that means anything to anyone.

There is now a reference that works for arguing in favor of any character in a video game.

Dishonor on your fan rules.
Dishonor on your patterns.
Dishonor on your expectations.
Dishonor on your LOGIC

Untouch

Smash Master
can i take one moment to appreciate how ****ING PISSED OFF mario looks in piranha plant's reveal trailer
BVko5[1].jpg

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
can i take one moment to appreciate how ****ING PISSED OFF mario looks in piranha plant's reveal trailer
View attachment 175131
Happy I wasn't the only one.

Just heard about Vergeben's DLC leaks and he obviously has the most credible information overall, so, in light of these revelatioms, I think it is now completely rational to abandon any credence of the Grinch leak. I still want to know wtf that was though.
Can you link me to the DLC leak?

D

Deleted member

It was a viral marketing stunt to drum up hype for The Grinch (2018).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Which nobody was making that argument here.

The argument is that only Nintendo relevant characters should be added. Cloud was not Nintendo relevant and was added. That's the point.
On this website no (well...not anymore atleast), but that argument has never left when it comes to Cloud. Even with him not being a Nintendo related man when he joined, it shouldn’t matter now that he’s in another Smash game (and in a gaming era where his game is on a Nintendo)...matter of fact there’s practically no real argument on what kind character should be added in to Smash
Goomba/Koopa Duo (using every Mario item to fight with possible)
View attachment 175131
Mario remembered he was in Smash

Troykv

Smash Master
You can support every character you want! Having a fun potential and tools that other character can't use is very important after all; and little Pirahna prove that.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
In light of Vergeben's statement about DLC and Minecraft, I've decided to just say **** it and go all in. I've got nothing to lose as I've already got Incineroar, so if he ends up wrong, oh well. That said...

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
So, all this talk throughout the Internet surrounding the Infinity War vibes of the Wold of Light trailer made me want to do a true Thanos snap using an online list randomizer. I know it's probably been done already (I recall someone posting something similar way back in July) but I'm just doing it for sh*ts and giggles. I didn't include Miis but counted Pokémon Trainer and Squirtle, Ivy and Zard as 4 separate characters.

SPARED
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultdaisy::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultzss::ultsnake::squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultrosalina::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool:

DUSTED
:ultmario::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultfox::ultness::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultrob::ultwolf::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultken::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So I avoided smashboards all of yesterday in fear that it would become crashboards. Going to give a quick summary of my thoughts on the direct: I was a little disappointed at first because none of the characters I supported made it in (Shadow really was just a slap in the face), but I quickly got over it because the two characters we did get on the base roster look pretty cool.

I will post on Vergeben, DLC, and other things later but I wanted to post on something I'm pretty sure hasn't been really touched on yet, and that is the appreciation of non playable roles, specifically Assist Trophies and Poke-Balls. I think this is going to go underappreciated when the game launches but one should realize that since trophies are now gone, being an Assist Trophy or Poke-Ball means that much more. They are now some of the lucky few that get 3D models in the game. Not only that but they still get to fight alongside everyone else on the field of battle which is way more than many other characters can say.

Just look at how far Assist Trophies have come. In Brawl, they began as a group of mostly complete nobodies from games like Japan exclusive GBA games. One would pop up every so often and it would be really just an annoyance more than anything else because you could never do anything to fight back. Now those limitations on Assist Trophies have been broken and they are much closer to actual fighters. The Assist Trophy roster could make an all-star fighting game roster themselves. Every character I've supported since the beginning with the exception of Bandanna Dee (DeeLC anyone?) and Captain Toad (stage element) was deconfirmed as an AT somewhere along the way but I honestly really happy that they are still in the game in such a prominent role and I must thank Sakurai for thinking of my characters and their fans.

I encourage you all to do the same for your favorites that were deconfirmed. Really, ATs and Poke-Balls are a pretty big deal.
I'm with you. I COULD be down that Knuckles or Alucards are ATs but at least we HAVE Castlevania and Sonic content now and I'll get all happy when they show up. Same with Shovel Knight - I still can't believe he's in the game at all.

JPW

Smash Ace
In the Order they come.
1. Pihrana Plant (duh)
2. Mach Rider, Mach Rider Stage,
3. Geno or Sora, Super Mario RPG Stage or Kingdom Hearts Stage
4. Fire Emblem Three Houses Rep, Fire Emblem Three Houses Stage,
5. Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter Stage
6. Banjo Kazooie, Minecraft Stage,

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
So, all this talk throughout the Internet surrounding the Infinity War vibes of the Wold of Light trailer made me want to do a true Thanos snap using an online list randomizer. I know it's probably been done already (I recall someone posting something similar way back in July) but I'm just doing it for sh*ts and giggles. I didn't include Miis but counted Pokémon Trainer and Squirtle, Ivy and Zard as 4 separate characters.

SPARED
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultdaisy::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultzss::ultsnake::squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultrosalina::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool:

DUSTED
:ultmario::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultfox::ultness::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultrob::ultwolf::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultken::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:

**** you. Just **** you. I'm picturing Isabelle in tears getting wiped from existence while clinging to Villager whimpering "I don't wanna go" and just **** YOU FOR PUTTING THAT IN MY HEAD GODDAMMIT ;_;

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
people vastly underestimate the size of the Geno fanbase. Remember how King K Rool was "a vocal minority"? Believe it or not, there are quite a lot of gamers who grew up with the snes. And many younger gamers love to play classics. Not every kid is just minecraft, fnaf, and fortnite. I for one grew up with the gamecube but I love going back to play old games and so does literally every other gamer I know irl. Geno isn't just a nostalgia character. I only played mario rpg this year and now I'm a fan. "Vocal minority" or "small fanbase" are silly labels to try and discredit a character that Sakurai himself called "Incredibly popular".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
On this website no (well...not anymore atleast), but that argument has never left when it comes to Cloud. Even with him not being a Nintendo related man when he joined, it shouldn’t matter now that he’s in another Smash game (and in a gaming era where his game is on a Nintendo)...matter of fact there’s practically no real argument on what kind character should be added in to Smash
Which is good. A lot of the arguments are often pretty bad to begin with. A character is a character, and has potential to be in.

There's a difference between making an argument that it'll never happen and one that is "unlikely".

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

SPARED

DUSTED

YES! My boi survives!

Still currently redoing mine so far I have the Original 8 and villains surviving.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

SPARED

DUSTED

Kirby survives even in the Randomizers xD

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
people vastly underestimate the size of the Geno fanbase. Remember how King K Rool was "a vocal minority"?
Nah. If anything, Geno fans overestimate the size of their fandom. And why do you still compare Geno to K. Rool, a major villain that was in multiple games and was in a cartoon?

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
We need a plant Pokémon, indeed.
Off screen deaths could potentially be...

:ultsimon: trying to deflect the beams of line by twirling his flail only to get disintegrated. :ultrichter: looks ok it horror as he too succumbs.

:ultwario: gets on his bike and takes off and manages to dodge a few only to get slammed by two

:ultyoshi: is sleeping on a rock; far away from the fight.

:ultdaisy: tried to greet the beam of light by saying “HI IM DAISY!“ only to meet an abrupt end.

:ultkingdedede: attempted to use his mass of Waddle Dees and Doos to protect him but they all meet their same girsely fate.

:ultpiranha:: Hid in his pot. It was uneffective.

:ultjigglypuff:: She sung to some characters, letting them be asleep for their presumably very painfull death.

:ultmegaman:: Actually dodged a few, but he ultimately failed.

Some characters that aren't in because why not

Bandana Dee: Attemped to shield :ultkingdedede:

Marx: Split in half, hopefully absorbing them into a black hole. It failed, and he did the Marx Soal scream as he died.

Grovyle: Tried to use the Time Gears to slow time for easier dodging. He failed.

Maxwell: Applied the "invincible" adjective to himself. He actually survived, but was flung very far away.

Kellam: Stood there, terrified. Not a single one even attempted to hit him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom