• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I just realized with Incineroar's inclusion, Pokemon is the only franchise to have a newcomer added in every Smash game
I know, right? I LOVE IT!

While not to the extent of those who wanted Geno/Isaac/Banjo/Shadow, I would have been profoundly sad had no new Pokemon made it into SSBU.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I'm predicting that the announcements for DLC characters will be structured similarly to how the DLC season for Sm4sh was. Here are my predictions for DLC:
Dante will be announced at the Game Awards
In January or February there will be a Nintendo Direct, and a portion of it will be about Smash to promote Piranha Plant, and as a special surprise, Steve will be announced. MAYBE the Smash Ballot 2: Electric Boogaloo will be announced as well.
At E3, one of the characters in Spirits will be announced as DLC. It could be Shantae, Chibi-Robo or even Lip.
At a Direct later on, a big gigantic third-party character reveal will happen, and it will be Banjo & Kazooie. Immediately afterwards, the "Ultimate Final Destination" Direct will be announced.
At this Direct, the final new challenger for Smash Ultimate will be revealed: Geno. Also the ballot winner if that happens.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think Steve and Sora are the biggest third party bets, prove me wrong.

You guys probably already know the leaking situation, and that is something.

Sora has been requested since Brawl times I heard, and Steve is just a giant icon. Disney is also willing to give Sora away, and he seems like something Sakurai would take interest in.

Edit: Banjo was requested and planned for Melee. Banjo is up there too.

Crash Bandicoot and Geno are up there, just not as high as Steve and Sora. Geno missed his chance again and Crash Bandicoot.... I do not know.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Personally, only switching Ken + Incinoroar with K Rool, Dark Samus + Chrom would have really made it better for me.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Ya know the longer I think, the more this direct and what we got in it is growing on me.. I even been noticing some contrasting points between this new World of Light campaign and the previous one Subspace Emissary

For Instance, The villain seems to be a being of light rather than tabuu being a being of shadow living in a world of shadows.

Also whatever it is seems to have wanted to turn the world into light (and succeeded at it) like Tabuu wanted to turn it into a pit of darkness and shadow.

Tabuu chained up Master Hand as an unwilling subordinate to manipulate the villains of the game to do his bidding, whereas this thing had millions of Master Hands following its will seemingly willingly, and would rather just plain annihilate the in game villains from the get-go.

The main soldiers of the Subspace Army were Primids, beings created from shadow bugs replicating captured creatures as a base, which is how they copied certain fighters in the campaign, wheras this time its Spirits of radiant light inhabiting shells.

Maybe someone can point out more because i gotta be back and forth from the computer right now..

Dan

Smash Lord
I literally wish I was one of the people who is just satisfied with everything and every character; yeah, Piranha Plant actually looks cool, but the entire concept and execution of this Direct was a train wreck. Thank God I didn't watch it live, or I would've thrown my laptop out the window.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Honestly, every reveal should've been done in reverse; how they started with the best and finished with the worst is beyond me.
That's a mighty fine terribly outdated and humiliating signature and avatar you're pressing, fam.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal Thanks for sharing! I hadn't known about this little app, reminds me of Warchamp's Smash 4 one. Back then I had a bunch of choices too. They'll be filed down probably not long after the game's release.

ultimate mains.png

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
this is probably the most fitting way to celebrate minecraft inclusion (although trees also work)
never though you for such a big minecraft fan :o
I have 0 problem with Minecraft. I bought the game over 7 years ago back when it was still in beta (like 1.1.2 or something), before it blew up to the degree that it has. It's a fantastic game that deserves all the popularity it gets.

But Vergeben's words were "Minecraft content," not Steve, but everyone jumped to that conclusion, despite Steve making no sense. I've tried to point out why it doesn't make any sense, but people are still saying it anyways. So I'm just going to ignore it from here-on-out.

As unfortunate as it is, he is a popular character from one of the biggest games of the current gen and checks off every noteworthy box in terms of actually getting into the game besides "I don't want him".

He will cater and appeal to a LARGE amount of people. Speaking off of a marketing standpoint, he and Sora are probably the biggest DLC names along with Crash and others such as Lara Croft or Master Chief.
But that's the thing though: he isn't a character. He's little more than a blank piece of paper. He's the default skin that you're supposed to overwrite with your own. He has no expressions, he has no voice, he has no personality. You can count all his animations on one hand. If you were to make him a fighter, either you'd have to take a lot of creative license to make him interesting, or you'd have to be faithful to the source material and have him be boring.

The appeal of Minecraft is the world and how you interact with it. The environments, the creatures, the gameplay mechanics. Not Steve.

Someone pointed out that a Steve Mii costume would make sense, and I can see and agree to that. But as a playable character, he isn't just unlikely, he actually just doesn't work.

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
He is definitely coming but dont forget, they still have Dragon Quest to compete with him for the spot
True but way more people, especially kids would recognize Sora simply because of the inclusion of Disney Characters in Kingdom Hearts. People would recognize him as the guy from the Disney game and would want to buy it, and the game is mainly marketed towards a new generation of kids and young gamers. With kingdom hearts 3 coming out very close to smash, kingdom hearts is gonna be fresh on the brain so it could attract a lot of purchases of the dlc to capitalize on kingdom hearts inevitable succes.

ChrisJamie

Smash Cadet
Today really felt like a massacre of characters to me. Not only did many fan favorites got deconfirmed (Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid, SpringMan, Rex), but also potential Echo Fighters that would have been easy to implement and sell well got thrown out of the window as DLC will focus only on newcomers :( (Bye Medusa, Impa, Octolings, and maybe Dixie among others). I don’t even know what to expect or hope anymore. My only wish is that DLC continues after the first pass as I have a feeling it will be filled mostly with 3rd Party reps, but with how the stage selection screen has 5 slots left for the DLC stages I really doubt it will be the case. Sakurai made it seem like they would be done by February 2020 when the last fighter releases, which honestly is completely understandable as the man and his team have worked so hard on delivering this AMAZING game, and I truly appreciate all the effort they have put into it, but still... I wish there could be just a bit more.

Anyway, here are my expectations/hopes for DLC:

1. Sora or Geno (expected because of Vergeben)
2. Banjo & Kazooie (expected because they would be a huge deal and honestly I don’t like Steve that much, no offense)
3. Another 3rd Party rep, maybe Lloyd, Crash or Rayman (expected)
4. Bandana Waddle Dee (hope, please :( )
5. Dixie Kong (I really hope she can make it in as a semi clone like Isabelle, but I don’t know if she would be an echo in Sakurai’s eyes)

Honorable Mention: Paper Mario
My most wanted and the one I voted for in the ballot. He could be such an incredible and unique character, having his moveset based around his partners, but with how Daisy and Piranha Plant got in and possibly Geno, I really doubt Sakurai would put yet another Mario rep. Besides I wouldn’t want the series to be hated like how Fire Emblem is being bashed for over representation :( Maybe next time, my boy...

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
But actually, no. I'm almost positive it's either Sora or Steve as the first DLC reveal. They need to hook people and get them into buying this, just how they shot their cannons before their pistols during the base game reveals.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Well...... now that Sakurai has given a middle finger to us Golden Sun fans I’m now rooting for Banjo, Geno, Sora, Lloyd, and Elma DLC.

Roberk

Smash Champion

A guest in a party game vs. an essential character in a modern Street Fighter game.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There are more people in this thread who like Piranha Plant then there are people who like pie. And it's not just Apple Pie or Pumpkin Pie that people prefer the plant to, but all pie. Even pizza pie wasn't enough. It's the very concept of pie that is less popular then Piranha Plant as a newcomer.

This statistic proves that Piranha Plant is objectively better then pizza. My logic is completely infallible. Glory to our new leafy, herbaceous overlord!

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...ltimate-nintendo-direct-unleashes-new-details

"Early Purchase Bonus: Piranha Plant takes root! The iconic enemy from the Super Marioseries is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for early purchasers. Players can purchase the digital version of the game or register their physical game card on a Nintendo Switch device by Jan. 31, 2019, to gain access to this new fighter when it is available around February 2019 at no additional cost. Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future. Fans can pre-purchase the game and secure the Piranha Plant reward starting today by visiting http://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/. "
Oh, huh! I wonder if that was accidental or if it's true.

If it's true I hope it's a good stage!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, Steve wasn't in base game, so that was right at least.
You're just begging to be stoned if you're still wearing the Grinch belt high and mighty now, though. That's like wearing the Little Mac into Shulk .gif after Shulk's trailer was already released.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm 90% happy with Smash Ultimate. My 10% disappointment is that my most wanted, Paper Mario, didn't make it, not that I expected him to, and I was hoping for more FF7 music this time instead of the measly two unremixed songs we still have, and the roster feels ALMOST complete but NOT QUITE without Dixie Kong as a playable character to round out the most important DK characters.

But STILL. Smash Ultimate amazed me day 1 by bringing back everyone from all the past Smash games, meaning I finally get to play a version of Pokemon Trainer that doesn't suck! That alone made this my favorite entry. People letting this Direct ruin the game for them are utterly alien to me. 77 characters, with 5 more on the way!!! 103 stages, again with 5 more on the way!!! Disappointment is one thing, but who would think any of this is trash just because of this Direct!?

The World of Light thing looks great, but I was satisfied a long time ago. I'm enjoying my precious boi Piranha Plant too. Speaking of DLC, it was fruitless to try to predict the Smash 4 DLC characters in the end, and I'm not even gonna try to speculate on Smash Ultimate's DLC fighters either. I just know I'll most likely enjoy them.

Just gonna kick back and wait for the game to arrive, then look forward to the DLC as it comes out over the next year. Will probably stop checking out Smashboards as often as I did the past few weeks, just gonna check in some character support threads every now and then to hang with the cool people there.

D

Deleted member

A guest in a party game vs. an essential character in a modern Street Fighter game.
Smash Ultimate: Attractive, Muscular, better outfit, nice hair and face, looks very good.
SFV: Looks like face is slowly melting and got beaten hard by a pam, gross mustard hair, weird face.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
True but way more people, especially kids would recognize Sora simply because of the inclusion of Disney Characters in Kingdom Hearts. People would recognize him as the guy from the Disney game and would want to buy it, and the game is mainly marketed towards a new generation of kids and young gamers. With kingdom hearts 3 coming out very close to smash, kingdom hearts is gonna be fresh on the brain so it could attract a lot of purchases of the dlc to capitalize on kingdom hearts inevitable succes.
Thats a real good point, and they could release the Sora DLC soon after Kingdom Hearts 3 launches, oh my this is gonna be so exciting

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You're just begging to be stoned if you're still wearing the Grinch belt high and mighty now, though. That's like wearing the Little Mac into Shulk .gif after Shulk's trailer was already released.
No but you see it's fine.

He's wearing it ironically.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
You guys think if there was enough demand, Sakurai would upgrade an assist trophy in DLC?
No, unless they make another AT to replace it or it preforms a similar role as the previous character.

Sakurai has gone on record saying that he doesn't view Assist Trophies as anything lesser than the characters on the roster, as they're there as he envisioned them.

Here's the thing, it can happen though, there's nothing saying it can't.
But I extremely doubt the fact it will, especially since it'd scrap any work and content they already put into the game.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Piranha Plant better bring us Bowser's Castle. It'd be the true savior we need and win back those salty hearts through buttering them up.

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
Thats a real good point, and they could release the Sora DLC soon after Kingdom Hearts 3 launches, oh my this is gonna be so exciting
I know I am super excited as well!!! I definitely think Sora is the new Inceniror where he has a lot going for him as to why he is gonna make it in and pretty much is gonna be talked about by everyone.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
If i was the one to chose the five characters, I would pick:

First : Banjo+Kazooei - I don't played anything with the character, but I know he is giant icon from N64 era and a lot of people want him into Smash Bros. Great pick to start.

Second: Travis Touchdown - I think they should release Travis with the new NMH. He is funny and the cartoon style would fit him perfectly. Can have a unique mechanic with constant charging the laser katana.

Third: Dixie Kong. Releasing her as the third DLC character would give some space from K.Rool announcement.

Fourth: Rayman. He's a popular character that could translate very well in the Smash mechanics. It's easy to realize Smash influence in the new Rayman games, since he has directional attacks.

Last: Sora. One of the most important modern videogame characters. Kingdom Hearts is a great franchise and his moveset have a great range of possibilities.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Heck better yet. Fanart of Kirby leading the Smashers and Rocket leading the Avengers and Guardians after saving all of them about to face both Galeem and Thanos.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I think Steve and Sora are the biggest third party bets, prove me wrong.

You guys probably already know the leaking situation, and that is something.

Sora has been requested since Brawl times I heard, and Steve is just a giant icon. Disney is also willing to give Sora away, and he seems like something Sakurai would take interest in.

Crash Bandicoot and Geno are up there, just not as high as Steve and Sora. Geno missed his chance again and Crash Bandicoot.... I do not know.
And Banjo’s been requested since Melee. He’s definitely the most requested third party from everything I’ve seen.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

Sakurai really cares about representing characters faithfully and carefully. Moreso than in their home games, occasionally.
Which is why Steve would make no sense because to do him faithfully would limit him severely okay I'm done now

Man I'm sure I'll like Piranha but I just can't shake off we actually ended with the box theory.

I just can't. It's pretty much going to be a scar from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom