• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
You guys.

What if Isaac is an assist trophy and Matthew is playable? He's the first party character that's not on the banner that's not Incineroar.

Come back to this one when I'm right.
If it happens, I guarantee Sakurai introduces Isaac as an AT first, and then he gets K.Oed by Matthew.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
When was I ever mad at you for sympathizing with him?
Not you, specifically. Many of the people that try to defend insiders on this forum got upset that people didn't feel sorry for MysticDistance losing his job, even though it was completely his fault. I just wanted to point out that if people want us to respect random insiders, then they need to respect well-known and popular Youtubers like Alpharad as well.

Last edited:

mjmannella

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
6515-6020-5729
I'll just do a rundown of some foreseeable questions.

Q. How would Wailmer grab the ledge?
A. With its mouth.

Q. How would Wailmer pick up a crate?
A. The crate would go on Wailmer's back.

Q. How would Wailmer run?
A. Wailmer would roll around while running.
I had the troll idea of Spheal as a Gen 3 rep

This is better because it can make reference to "too much water" as Wailmer can be found on all that "too much water".

Is there a support thread I can pledge my undying loyalty to?[/QUOTE]
I made one here.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
D

Deleted member

Off-topic, but i want to take this thought out.

Plastic Man deserves to be playable in either the next Mortal Kombat or Injustice title.

He could be cool in regards to visuals, and could be fun to use.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The Grinch will either continue as a normal meme or become Shrek/Goku status tomorrow.

Let's hope for the latter; I'm taking what insiders said into consideration as to keep myself from becoming majorly disappointed (though I'll be disappointed if the leak is fake anyway), but I feel kind of good knowing that they're contradicting each other.

inb4 they backpedal somehow so they all seem correct.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm not a big fan of pants, it's only the contents that appeal to me.
;)
So. We're now approx. 14 hours away from the Direct. Do you all feel scared or hyped about the fate of certain characters?
Kinda worried for Isaac fans. I've been pulling for him this speculation cycle, and for his fans to have gone this long only to have him get AT'd would be rough.

The only characters I really care about are Sora and Joker, and I'm not worried about either. Sora will more than likely be in this game, and I feel like Joker's chances are underrated, though I acknowledge he's not as likely as many other characters.
The Grinch will either continue as a normal meme or become Shrek/Goku status tomorrow.

Let's hope for the former; I'm taking what insiders said into consideration as to keep myself from becoming majorly disappointed (though I'll be disappointed if the leak is fake anyway), but I feel kind of good knowing that they're contradicting each other
The Grinch is already a Shrek/Goku meme though.

And at the very least, one insider will be correct. The truth is out there my friends.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It sure seems like it, with this AND the fact that the first fictional character to main a character in Smash HAPPENS to main Yoshi...

I just hope he got the care in Smash Ultimate as well :yoshi:
Yoshi gets better in each Smash title that releases.

He literally evolves.

Shog

Smash Ace
Someone passing by: What exactly is the correct Discord Channel for hype/discussion regarding hype? This forum here will be nice for analysis etc. later but for the direct tomorrow, what is the best way?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm gonna be at work tomorrow during everything but luckily it's a programming job in a cubicle so I'll be able to watch the direct AND the Smash (and Yoshi) gameplay and it'll just be a good day

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, but what he's saying is that they might have MISTAKEN this hypothetical Matthew AT for Isaac. I mean, the two do look nearly identical, so it's not completely illogical.
I know what he's saying
What I'm saying is if they're playing a build with a Matthew AT they're gonna see ISAAC with his name and all in bold lettering on the CSS

But we don't even know WHAT Verge's sources do, or what they know, so. Moot point.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Someone passing by: What exactly is the correct Discord Channel for hype/discussion regarding hype? This forum here will be nice for analysis etc. later but for the direct tomorrow, what is the best way?
We have a Discord channel?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know what he's saying
What I'm saying is if they're playing a build with a Matthew AT they're gonna see ISAAC with his name and all in bold lettering on the CSS

But we don't even know WHAT Verge's sources do, or what they know, so. Moot point.
Making matthew an AT would be like making Dr. Mario an AT.
At that point, why not just use the model for an alt?

NineS

Smash Lord
I am 100 times more hyped than scared, and I am not scared at all.
So... You're not hyped at all either, then?

i am simutaneously hyped for geno and scared he wont get in
I wouldn't worry much about Geno. Though there's a small chance he may not make it in, I'd say he's fairly likely.

Scared for the Isaac fans, but really expecting Banjo or another SE rep to appear
the SE rep is what has me excited, even though i know it won't be who i want it 2B

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I find it funny that out of the 7 unrevealed characters from the leak, the one you guys doubt about the most is the one with more evidence to become playable, Isaac.
Like, guys, open your eyes.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It’s 7 newcomers, Also, revealing 5 newcomers in trailers and Shadow and Ken in about a 2 minute reveal would be 12 minutes out of the 40 we have. That also doesn’t account for some of them having moves explained, like Simon. There’s plenty of time to reveal the Grinch newcomers.
Or Sakurai pulls an E3 06 and makes the Smash fanbase collectively **** itself because we all long forgot that was an option.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, I see people are discussing character reveals and the time length of the direct (and some are confused about how it'll work).

I actually covered this earlier, but not everyone was present when I did so, so I'll do it again.

For Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, every character that has a trailer has one that is approximately 2 minutes.

Excepting Inklings, who were part of the teaser trailer, the shortest is Ridley's at ~1:50 seconds, the longest is Simon's at ~3:00. K. Rool and Isabelle have trailers that are almost exactly 2:00 long. Simon's is extra long because of several reasons:
  1. About 30 seconds of the trailer is dedicated to Richter.
  2. Some of the trailer is dedicated to the Stage, including the monsters and Dracula
  3. Part of the trailer is dedicated to the "Smash Bros. X Castlevania" splash screen, and associated copyrights.
Sakurai has gone on record saying that not every character will have their moveset explained (in a Famitsu Column, I believe it was the one that followed K. Rool, maybe someone like PushDustIn PushDustIn can verify this for me?). The only new characters to get any kind of explanation within the Directs are Inkling, Simon and Richter. Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus had explanations as well, but they were more general and not actually talking about their movesets but more about what an Echo Fighter actually is.

With this in mind, only a few characters across all leaks would actually get full explanations, judging by who has gotten explanations, it's likely that characters that are from a New Series would get that treatment.

If they're Echoes, then Shadow and Ken will get little to no explanation. Geno and Incineroar are not from new series, they probably wouldn't get explanation.

Isaac, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Banjo, Sora and Dante would be from new series, these guys would probably get explanations, the length varying depending on what they can do, whether they get a Stage, and whether they bring any Items and Assist Trophies with them.

I'd say Mach Rider would probably get the bare minimum out of these six. While the third parties would get the most. The thing is, even then the discussions probably wouldn't be nearly as long as Castlevania (which had to get through: What can Simon and Richter do?,What is the stage and what is in the stage?, What does Alucard do?, What music is Castlevania bringing to Smash?)

Let's say the Grinch Leak is 100% Real with no caveats: If they wanted to give every character trailers; the total time needed for just the trailers would be 14 minutes (if you include Ken and Shadow) or 10 minutes (if you don't). There is more than enough time for that in a 40 minute Direct.

People are also assuming that they need to describe literally everything that a character brings, if "The Sprout" is really "Growth", then... why would they talk about it? They could just show us in another Item Showcase.

I'll break it down with a hypothetical, assuming the Grinch Leak.

Character Trailers: 10 Minutes
Character Discussions: ~8 Minutes
Echo Showcase: 1½ Minutes
Item Showcase: ~4 Minutes
Assist Showcase: ~4 Minutes
Spirits Mode Showcase: ~9 Minutes
Online Showcase: ~4 Minutes

There, approximately 40 minutes. Of course, I am 100% pulling these numbers out of my ass, but it's more of a think piece than anything.

Sakurai himself has said that good Directs need you to show and describe things quickly and concisely, they're not going to waste a huge amount of time on every single thing.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
He reveals the entire roster by just flashing the CSS for one frame and putting the trailers straight to the site to save Direct time

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The Grinch is already a Shrek/Goku meme though.

And at the very least, one insider will be correct. The truth is out there my friends.
I assumed the leak being true would boost him to "make the Grinch playable pls" tier, and thought it would just be a meme regardless :p

I hope the correct insider is the one saying it's true (whoever that is, PapaGenos' source I guess).

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So. We're now approx. 14 hours away from the Direct. Do you all feel scared or hyped about the fate of certain characters?
Very excited, as 40 minutes of Smash was more than I had expected, and I'm certain there will be surprises and interesting stuff in there. I'll be a bit nervous--so many signs pointing to my top pick, but all circumstantial, and insider wise, not looking good. Hopeful, but trying to set low expectations (easy in theory, hard to convince myself in practice). I suspect if the banner's not true, there's not many characters that'll excite me personally--but there's a lot of other stuff, such as the secret mode, that has the potential to blow me away, as well as the unexpected.

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst, as always. I'll be heading to bed and probably won't be on until after the Direct. Just have to remind ourselves--it's only a game, and we're meant to have fun. Good luck to everyone!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
He never changed his mind about Takamaru. He only considered him. No more, no less. Him being obscure was a detriment. He actually has gone on record saying he wants Geno playable and he was a costume mainly for that reason. And wanted Geno specifically playable since Brawl.

Takamaru nor the rest are in similar positions whatsoever.
Both considering and wanting are important for different reasons, if we want to start debating minut differences, but both involve the process of evaluating. There isn't much of an apples and oranges situation.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Y'know there's two things which I'm going to hate regardless of who gets in:
"Can we appreicate Sakurai for..." posts and
"If you showed this roster to me x years ago..." posts.

I get it guys. It's hype. But you've said this every day for 17 years.

google chrom

Smash Apprentice
So... You're not hyped at all either, then?

I wouldn't worry much about Geno. Though there's a small chance he may not make it in, I'd say he's fairly likely.

the SE rep is what has me excited, even though i know it won't be who i want it 2B

hey dude it's me again, if 2B doesn't get into the main roster i'm sure they'll get into the dlc
but until then, it's 2Bcontinued
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom