• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
MY head cannon is that some of the sources saw Isaac playable and some saw Matthew’s AT (Matthew can do the exact same thing as Isaac and easily replace him there) and that’s why there is so much confusion. And having another GS AT is likely if Isaac is playable.

Let me dream damnit!

MainJPW

M.T.A
I guess I'll roll out one more time with my hopes that have to yet be given any concrete cutdowns:

1 - Dixie Kong
2 - Isaac/Lloyd Irving
3 - Rhythm Heaven Rep (Karate Joe or Chorus Kids)
4 - Saki Amamiya
5 - Banjo-Kazooie
6 - Rayman
7 - Lip
8 - Prince Sable
9 - Sakura Kasugano

10 - Valkyrie

I kinda think Dixie's not gonna be shown probably, but I kind of hope the Grinch-leak's at least somewhere true...

If we get Lip AND Prince Sable...I'll...I'LL...

That's a hype list. Valkyrie? That's neat.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Are we all in agreement that Daisy needs a "Hi I'm Daisy" taunt or victory pose?
If this doesn't happen, I can see Sakurai getting heat from Daisy fans

And I'd rather troll people with that line just like I did with a former roommate of mine playing Mario Sluggers lmao

Shroob

Sup?
Y'know there's two things which I'm going to hate regardless of who gets in:
"Can we appreicate Sakurai for..." posts and
"If you showed this roster to me x years ago..." posts.

I get it guys. It's hype. But you've said this every day for 17 years.
I'll take these over all the "Virginbin" "Box theorists btfo" or "Team X on suicide watch" posts.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Idon
I don't think you get it
IF YOU PUT EVERY THIRD PARTY INTO AN 8 PLAYER SMASH
THEY WOULDNT ALL BE THERE THERE'S SO MANY

(they can get grating, but the amount of positivity is heartwarming)

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I honestly can't wait until tomorrow when we can finally put the Grinch leak behind us. I must admit bickering over it has done more harm than good. I think really I was just tired of people constantly having this mentality of treating insiders like they're our best friends and should always be trusted, while anyone who dares to criticize them is a big toxic meanie, and the Grinch leak made those of us who were skeptical of insiders hopeful that they could possibly be knocked down a peg. If the leak ends up being fake, I will apologize for what I've said. I'm just glad this will finally be all over soon.

Last edited:

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Very excited, as 40 minutes of Smash was more than I had expected, and I'm certain there will be surprises and interesting stuff in there. I'll be a bit nervous--so many signs pointing to my top pick, but all circumstantial, and insider wise, not looking good. Hopeful, but trying to set low expectations (easy in theory, hard to convince myself in practice). I suspect if the banner's not true, there's not many characters that'll excite me personally--but there's a lot of other stuff, such as the secret mode, that has the potential to blow me away, as well as the unexpected.

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst, as always. I'll be heading to bed and probably won't be on until after the Direct. Just have to remind ourselves--it's only a game, and we're meant to have fun. Good luck to everyone!
Don't worry honey, our boy is coming <3

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
You gotta give the grinch leaker credit. This person literally went through these steps

- Okay, I will make a convincing Smash leak, and project it in the form of a banner. Better make sure to make it blurry though! Now I'll choose a crazy seven total characters and have the guts to leave out Incineroar. Now I'll make 7 new images for those characters, and ensure that each of them has extreme Sakurai-like attention to detail. Oh I know! Chorus kids will have the conductor because no one has ever thought of that, and Isaac will be using sprout, a more obscure synergy. I'll also have Banjo-Kazooie referencing some sort of MGS3 moment since I'm putting them near Snake. Okay, now I'll just take a few hours to move all the pre-existing characters around, place in my new ones, and bam! Ugh, but it isn't convincing enough. I'll blur it, and pretend like it's some form of printing material. How about a wristband!? And I'll make a characterless version from scratch to seem more legit. Is there already one out there? Nah, better not check. Maybe I can even find a company that does printing for video game developers such as Bandai Namco! Better make sure it's a foreign company though, because for some reason that seems more legit. Oh I got it! I'll look up the release date for the Grinch in France, and then throw in some Grinch junk to make it look even more legit. Oh oh! I can find a real name associated with this company and have it in there, but I have to make it look like the person attempted to hide it. There we go... Now, finally I'll snapchat it to a friend, screenshot the snapshot and boom!

Oh, and I better precede all of this with a text leak that predicts it all one month before, or find one that lines up. (This last part may just be a coincidence)

I suppose it didn't have to go down like that, for sure, but... Dang. XD

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
So. We're now approx. 14 hours away from the Direct. Do you all feel scared or hyped about the fate of certain characters?
Honestly, I've simply accepted the ATs as a recognition, whether it be for use later or not. I mean, that's obvious, but I'll take anything if a certain character gets in.

In other words, not very scared at the moment.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Idon
I don't think you get it
*Idon think you get it

Can we appreciate Sakurai for not showing me this roster 10 years ago so I would have had been surprised by it retroactively by my evil time-traveling Smash spoiling doppelganger?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Scared for the Isaac fans, but really expecting Banjo or another SE rep to appear
I’m scared as an Isaac fan. I know how this usually ends. But I’d love to see Banjo get in. Geno as well. They’re both great characters and I hope at least their fans have something to be happy about.

It’s 7 newcomers, Also, revealing 5 newcomers in trailers and Shadow and Ken in about a 2 minute reveal would be 12 minutes out of the 40 we have. That also doesn’t account for some of them having moves explained, like Simon. There’s plenty of time to reveal the Grinch newcomers.
Also, remember the trailer during Brawl's E3 that revealed a bunch of newcomers at a rapid fire pace?

I could definitely see them doing something like that again to reveal the Grinch 7 if the leak's real.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I assumed the leak being true would boost him to "make the Grinch playable pls" tier, and thought it would just be a meme regardless :p

I hope the correct insider is the one saying it's true (whoever that is, PapaGenos' source I guess).
Didn't we prove that PapaGenos' source was wrong though?

It's sure nice to hope, but be prepared for disappointment if you expect the Grinch leak tomorrow.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm gonna keep believing in the Chorus Kids and the other Grinch characters. I still haven't believed any insiders yet thus far and I ain't losing hope. I'm gonna stay at a 60/40 Team Real to not be TOO disappointed, but I still believe in it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Are you still following that 4chan text leak with Celica and AT Ashley on it?
You know, between the Box and the Grinch, I'd forgotten about it since it seemed less likely to happen, but now that both are thrown into doubt...maybe...?

For those who don't know, this was posted on 4chan back in July, several days before Vergeben leaked Isabelle. Notably, it got a considerable amount of things right about the Direct on 8/8.
image.jpeg

Only shaky thing was whether or not you consider the eighth close enough to being mid, but that could've been an error in communication.

I mean in all honesty it was likely just a lucky guess, but man...if tomorrow comes and we get Ken, Incineroar, Celica, and Geno, then this was the most lowkey leak of all time.

MainJPW

M.T.A
MY head cannon is that some of the sources saw Isaac playable and some saw Matthew’s AT (Matthew can do the exact same thing as Isaac and easily replace him there) and that’s why there is so much confusion. And having another GS AT is likely if Isaac is playable.

Let me dream damnit!
It makes too much sense. Possible GS item with Growth Psynergy? Check. People mistaking Matthew for Isaac? A new GS AT? Probable.

He's in.

I mean...maybe.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You gotta give the grinch leaker credit. This person literally went through these steps

- Okay, I will make a convincing Smash leak, and project it in the form of a banner. Better make sure to make it blurry though! Now I'll choose a crazy seven characters and have the guts to leave out Incineroar. Now I'll make 7 new images for those characters, and ensure that each of them has extreme Sakurai-like attentiont to detail. Oh I know! Chorus kids will have the conductor because no one has ever thought of that, and Isaac will be using sprout, a more obscure synergy. I'll also have Banjo-Kazooie referencing some sort of MGS3 moment since I'm putting them near Snake. Okay, now I'll just move all the pre-existing characters around, place in my new ones, and bam! Ugh, but it isn't convincing enough. I'll blur it, and pretend like it's some form of printing material. Maybe I can even find a company that does printing for video game developers such as Bandai Namco! Better make sure it's a foreign company though, because for some reason that seems more legit. Oh I got it! I'll look up the release date for the Grinch in France, and then throw in some Grinch junk to make it look even more legit. Oh oh! I can find a real name associated with this company and have it in there, but I have to make it look like the person attempted to hide it. There we go... Now, finally I'll snapchat it to a friend, screenshot the snapshot and boom!

Oh, and I better precede all of this with a text leak that predicts it all one month before, or find one that lines up. (This last part may just be a coincidence)

The Grinch "leak" was certainly an impressive fake.

But that's just what it is: a fake.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If we get Lip AND Prince Sable...I'll...I'LL...

That's a hype list. Valkyrie? That's neat.
I'd love 'em to be in this fray if I could help it. Also I'd ship the heck outta 'em.

Valkyrie I love, but sorta wondered if her being in Smash would become feasible. But hey, I'd be happily surprised.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
You know, between the Box and the Grinch, I'd forgotten about it since it seemed less likely to happen, but now that both are thrown into doubt...maybe...?

For those who don't know, this was posted on 4chan back in July, several days before Vergeben leaked Isabelle. Notably, it got a considerable amount of things right about the Direct on 8/8.View attachment 174221
Only shaky thing was whether or not you consider the eighth close enough to being mid, but that could've been an error in communication.

I mean in all honesty it was likely just a lucky guess, but man...if tomorrow comes and we get Ken, Incineroar, Celica, and Geno, then this was the most lowkey leak of all time.
I think the leaker came forward and said that was fake, didn't they?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Didn't we prove that PapaGenos' source was wrong though?

It's sure nice to hope, but be prepared for disappointment if you expect the Grinch leak tomorrow.
I don't remember anyone proving he was wrong, PapaGenos even seems to still believe him.

I know there was that "Banjo was added at E3 and Incineroar was cut for him" stuff, but that was just PapaGenos' theory based on what he heard from multiple people (if I remember correctly). I think if Grinch leak is real, we could still get Incineroar somehow.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

- Okay, I will make a convincing Smash leak, and project it in the form of a banner. Better make sure to make it blurry though! Now I'll choose a crazy seven characters and have the guts to leave out Incineroar. Now I'll make 7 new images for those characters, and ensure that each of them has extreme Sakurai-like attentiont to detail. Oh I know! Chorus kids will have the conductor because no one has ever thought of that, and Isaac will be using sprout, a more obscure synergy. I'll also have Banjo-Kazooie referencing some sort of MGS3 moment since I'm putting them near Snake. Okay, now I'll just move all the pre-existing characters around, place in my new ones, and bam! Ugh, but it isn't convincing enough. I'll blur it, and pretend like it's some form of printing material. Maybe I can even find a company that does printing for video game developers such as Bandai Namco! Better make sure it's a foreign company though, because for some reason that seems more legit. Oh I got it! I'll look up the release date for the Grinch in France, and then throw in some Grinch junk to make it look even more legit. Oh oh! I can find a real name associated with this company and have it in there, but I have to make it look like the person attempted to hide it. There we go... Now, finally I'll snapchat it to a friend, screenshot the snapshot and boom!

You just named all the reasons I can't possibly see it being fake. How does a person pull all of this off without a hiccup or a hitch?

Still holding out for it in the back of my head. The first trailer is going to be a doozy

Shroob

Sup?
What? When did Papageno's source was proven to be wrong?
It hasn't yet, but it's reeeeeeeeeeeally odd he's got the only insider who's saying "Banner is real but Incineroar is ALSO real."

If Incineroar IS indeed Leak Bait, why would he have the rest of the banner too?

Doesn't add up.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I find it funny that out of the 7 unrevealed characters from the leak, the one you guys doubt about the most is the one with more evidence to become playable, Isaac.
Like, guys, open your eyes.
i'd say sakurai's word of wanting geno is more evidence than a teaser and a supposed golden sun item in a trailer. not saying he isnt likely either but i think sakurai first hand saying geno is someone he wants in has more weight

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
At this point, I’m more of Team Hmmmm and 50/50. I’ve been preparing myself for disappointment all day as well and the whole gist of the situation about the leak is a Schrödinger’s Cat situation or Schrödinger’s Grinch. :lol:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
It hasn't yet, but it's reeeeeeeeeeeally odd he's got the only insider who's saying "Banner is real but Incineroar is ALSO real."

If Incineroar IS indeed Leak Bait, why would he have the rest of the banner too?

Doesn't add up.
his source is the only one that isnt nintendo, so it could be playing into the theory of the nintendo sources being fed false info that they give to the leakers

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think the leaker came forward and said that was fake, didn't they?
I don't think anyone has. Plus it was anonymous, so anyone could've claimed credit anyway.

Still skeptical because of course I am, but no one has come forward yet.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman

For those who don't know, this was posted on 4chan back in July, several days before Vergeben leaked Isabelle. Notably, it got a considerable amount of things right about the Direct on 8/8.View attachment 174221

Maybe Celica was cut during development? If so, she'd be prime DLC I'd say.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Hour of reckoning in about 14 hours and I'm just sitting here listening to the Sen no Kiseki IV remix of Mystic Core from Ao no Kiseki

Shroob

Sup?
his source is the only one that isnt nintendo, so it could be playing into the theory of the nintendo sources being fed false info that they give to the leakers
That still doesn't explain why his source knows the ENTIRE BANNER AND Incineroar.

If Incineroar is indeed just leak bait, why would his source also believe in it if he knows the full banner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom