• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly curious as to why people think Isaac has a low chance to make it in.

Saw a thread of char likeliness being voted and Isaac got a something like a 13% because according to people he "is not relevant anymore" and "lost his chance".

Isaac was one of the highest New IP (as in not in Smash) placings back in Brawl era poll. The other higher IPs like Little Mac already made it in and Isaac was also amongst the highest overall in almost every poll back in the Smash 4 ballot and dlc days, so he probably had an overall good outcome on the ballot.

Yet somehow people think that now he has no chance.

I think people hark too hard on the newest shiny thing and kind of forget that Smash is mostly about old stuff that is loved, which is what Isaac literally is.

Isaac is one of my only 5-7 newcomers that I really want, and 3-4 of those newcomers are basically extremely unlikely (with one of those being considered the worst possible addition by basically 90% of the Smash community).

So I only got like 2-3 real newcomers I really really want that can actually make it in and Isaac is definitely one of those.
Isaac has completely missed his window of opportunity. I'm not expecting him in the slightest despite me wanting him.

And those polls are done on Smashboards/other internet sites so it's not indicative of actual popularity (I mean like popularity among all fans; casual/hardcore alike despite me not liking to use that term).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Going off my most wanted character list, here are my top five:

1. Bomberman
2. King K. Rool
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Mimikyu
5. Bandana Dee
1. King K. Rool
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Black Shadow
4. Dixie Kong
5. Ridley

None of them will make it. Pre-Sm4sh my only want that got in was Shulk so yeah
I wouldn't give up hope for K. Rool yet. Considering his appearance as a Mii Costume was because of fan demand (or at least there's no reason to assume otherwise), the ballot could still get him in. I'd argue there's hope for Ridley as well but that depends on Sakurai getting an idea of how he'll work.

Plus weren't you the one that rated Dixie Kong high on Rate Their Chance on Smashboards? I would think you would be optimistic about her.
I'm more of a fan of quality over quantity in that regards. The problem with massive rosters you have a large risk of either poorly implementation characters, overpowered characters, excessive cloning, or buggy development process. The only way to avoid that would be to extend development time far beyond what would be considered reasonable.

I think people overestimate what Sakurai and his team is actually functionally capable of while maintain a good level of quality. It is unlikely to be a 80 character roster where all 58 characters from Smash 4 are kept with a whole slew of new characters a the same time. People were making similar large scale assumptions about Smash 4 as well and it didn't pan out then either. Smash 4 was a good roster, but there were a lot of people making claims to the same 70-80 character rosters back then too.

It's fine to dream and hope for such a thing. I think people are setting themselves for disappointment by doing so though.
Actually they weren't.

If you tried to predict anything above fifty-five characters during pre-Smash 4, you were not taken seriously in prediction discussions. In fact, it was common for people to tell everyone else to expect less than fifty characters or risked being disappointed. Considering that we got fifty-one characters in the game, it goes without saying that almost everyone had reasonable expectations for how large the roster would be. It wasn't at all like Brawl's expectations for size where you were seen as a pessimist for guessing less than forty characters. The disappointments regarding Smash 4's roster were due to character exclusions (and Dark Pit and Corrin), not size.

As for why people are expecting seventy or more characters, that's because this game probably started out as a port and then got converted to a new game a la Splatoon 2. If so, it's unlikely we'll see a lot of cuts, not more than four for sure.

Having said that, I don't mind "rebooting" the roster to around thirty characters so long as all of the essential additions are in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
Just bring back Wolf please.
It is probably a safe bet, even if they miss him again, the DLC safety net will catch him. That is what people said last time, but this time, like, seriously, what else were they working on for 2 years if not that? That being said, I am not expecting it to preserve my own sanity. For all know, Sakurai has decided that Slippy is the true anti-hero of Star Fox.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isaac is never happening.

I'm like 100 percent sure of that.

He's got a dead franchise, there are other more iconic characters still not in, new hit Nintendo IPs that are constantly just shoving the memory of him further and further into the back of Sakurai's head.

He's got way too much contend with. The one and only way he'd get in now is a fan ballot, but even that is questionable determining how many people are going to use the ballot as a means of getting in people like Cloud or hell even Bayonetta types who have active franchises and presences on modern Nintendo systems.

I wish he was in a better place for his fans, but he's in the absolute worst place a character can be for chances of getting into Smash.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Honestly curious as to why people think Isaac has a low chance to make it in.

Saw a thread of char likeliness being voted and Isaac got a something like a 13% because according to people he "is not relevant anymore" and "lost his chance".

Isaac was one of the highest New IP (as in not in Smash) placings back in Brawl era poll. The other higher IPs like Little Mac already made it in and Isaac was also amongst the highest overall in almost every poll back in the Smash 4 ballot and dlc days, so he probably had an overall good outcome on the ballot.

Yet somehow people think that now he has no chance.

I think people hark too hard on the newest shiny thing and kind of forget that Smash is mostly about old stuff that is loved, which is what Isaac literally is.

Isaac is one of my only 5-7 newcomers that I really want, and 3-4 of those newcomers are basically extremely unlikely (with one of those being considered the worst possible addition by basically 90% of the Smash community).

So I only got like 2-3 real newcomers I really really want that can actually make it in and Isaac is definitely one of those.
I wouldn't say he has no chance at all. I just believe his chances are a slim 10%-15%. He's popular amongst the Smash community. Something a lot of us fail to realize, myself included at times, is that this is a Nintendo game, and though we receive a lot of pandering from fan demand, the game is for Nintendo fans, and needs to have draw from old and new characters alike. There needs to be relevancy or nostalgia on a grander scale.

Unfortunately for Isacc, I feel he is in this weird limbo where he isn't old enough to be considered retro, but not new enough to be considered relevant. His franchise is basically dead, and Sakurai has said before that games unlikely to receive new installments are less likely to receive representation on the roster.

We shall see though. None of us know for sure. Rooting for all you Isaac fans. I don't care if he gets in or not, but I know it'd make you guys happy.

Give me Isabelle, Mimikyu, and Ice Climbers and I'll be peachy.

Morbi

Scavenger
Isaac is never happening.

I'm like 100 percent sure of that.

He's got a dead franchise, there are other more iconic characters still not in, new hit Nintendo IPs that are constantly just shoving the memory of him further and further into the back of Sakurai's head.

He's got way too much contend with. The one and only way he'd get in now is a fan ballot, but even that is questionable determining how many people are going to use the ballot as a means of getting in people like Cloud or hell even Bayonetta types who have active franchises and presences on modern Nintendo systems.

I wish he was in a better place for his fans, but he's in the absolute worst place a character can be for chances of getting into Smash.
I would agree with the first part if I agreed with the second part. His franchise is dead, and as Sakurai stated, that is reason enough to avoid adding a character; however, we are definitely not missing "more iconic" characters unless you are talking about Waluigi. Lmfao.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
@Fuzzy Pickles! I gave Dixie a 50% chance. It wasn't that high, jeez :chuckle:

I do agree K. Rool's best asset is the ballot and he's gotten a few nods here and there (costume, Odyssey) but my pessimism is strong here.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Is it better to have popularity that is unlikely to amount to anything or to be all but forgotten? Seems almost like six of one, half dozen of the other, but I suppose with the former you have a chance, however slight, that one day something can come of your popularity. Unless Sakurai reconsiders what it means to be "classic", I don't hold out much hope for Isaac... but I'm glad his popularity has survived. His best chance was with Brawl, and following that, the last go round... now he's basically completely out of the public eye, just living in the hearts of fans. He probably did alright on the ballot, but doing "alright" is faint praise.

I'll keep supporting him to the end. Can't stop now. <3

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I would agree with the first part if I agreed with the second part. His franchise is dead, and as Sakurai stated, that is reason enough to avoid adding a character; however, we are definitely not missing "more iconic" characters unless you are talking about Waluigi. Lmfao.
There's a slew of more prominent and well known Nintendo characters than ''Lead of Dead RPG franchise."

Dixie Kong, K. Rool (even if he's in a similar place to Isaac due to disuse), Ridley, people like Captain Toad, Isabelle, Pauline who are blowing up right now, new reps from Fire Emblem that has a new installment pretty much every 2 months it feels like, Pokemon reps because that **** is like Fire Emblem and has a new potential rep shoved out every 2 seconds, etc, etc.

Isaac is a tiny tiny little spec in a massive pool of just Nintendo people that Sakurai could pull from and would generate more hype and more of a ''Yeah, that makes sense." than he would.

Then you throw him into a big scary world of adding potential third party reps, even in a ballot he's gonna get curbstomped. Especially in a second ballot because that's when everyone and their mother is gonna try to get in their third party reps by voting and voting and voting.

Isaac is one of the biggest dead cases in Smash history right now.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Is it better to have popularity that is unlikely to amount to anything or to be all but forgotten? Seems almost like six of one, half dozen of the other, but I suppose with the former you have a chance, however slight, that one day something can come of your popularity. Unless Sakurai reconsiders what it means to be "classic", I don't hold out much hope for Isaac... but I'm glad his popularity has survived. His best chance was with Brawl, and following that, the last go round... now he's basically completely out of the public eye, just living in the hearts of fans. He probably did alright on the ballot, but doing "alright" is faint praise.

Nothing wrong with supporting any character regardless of how unlikely.

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
I think nintendo will try to make smash a services game, like street figther or overwatch, trim the roster to 20-30, 6-4 free characters each season, this would help keeping the focus and the quality of the content in general and would help some franchises that have imbalances in their content(in terms of trophy, musics remixes, alt costumes, original final smash, assits,,stages, enemies,bosses,etc) this also would help the dev team to rework some characters, especially these that have dated movesets that would be more difficult to balance with only buffs or nerfs, and make these characters more faithful to their games, and also keep the game more fresh because the game keeps getting content.

Maybe they would add some of the modes that were cut from previous smash, like break the targets, board the platforms, subspace emisarry, race to the finish, or improve them like a bigger or more expansive smash run with online multiplayer, or a better and more stategic smash tour, this will also help with the balance of the game, because they can focus on less characters, without everbody crying that they cant balance +50 character each patch, sorry if my english is a bit rough.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Hey guys, remember when people didn't complain about anime swordsmen in Smash?:p
This isn't an anime swordsman thing. This is a logic thing for me.

As far as anime swordsman go? He's one of the ones that makes me go ''Okay, you can come if you do." Because he'd be way way way way way way more interesting than a lot of the others people ask for.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This isn't an anime swordsman thing. This is a logic thing for me.

As far as anime swordsman go? He's one of the ones that makes me go ''Okay, you can come if you do." Because he'd be way way way way way way more interesting than a lot of the others people ask for.
My post wasn't really intended to be specifically relevant to the Isaac conversation that was going on right now.

It was more me joking about how people didn't use to make that type of complaint back in the earlier days of pre-Smash 4 speculation as frequently

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think nintendo will try to make smash a services game, like street figther or overwatch, trim the roster to 20-30, 6-4 free characters each season, this would help keeping the focus and the quality of the content in general and would help some franchises that have imbalances in their content(in terms of trophy, musics remixes, alt costumes, original final smash, assits,,stages, enemies,bosses,etc) this also would help the dev team to rework some characters, especially these that have dated movesets that would be more difficult to balance with only buffs or nerfs, and make these characters more faithful to their games, and also keep the game more fresh because the game keeps getting content.

Maybe they would add some of the modes that were cut from previous smash, like break the targets, board the platforms, subspace emisarry, race to the finish, or improve them like a bigger or more expansive smash run with online multiplayer, or a better and more stategic smash tour, this will also help with the balance of the game, because they can focus on less characters, without everbody crying that they cant balance +50 character each patch, sorry if my english is a bit rough.
I'm not sure I would believe that straight out. Nintendo hasn't really utilized this kind of model and they are generally slow when adopted these kind of models. I'm not even that sure the smash community would respond to it well.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

As an Andy supporter (as well as an Isaac one), that's pretty much my mentality as well. Advance Wars might be dead but it's not going to stop me from supporting the character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm not sure I would believe that straight out. Nintendo hasn't really utilized this kind of model and they are generally slow when adopted these kind of models. I'm not even that sure the smash community would respond to it well.
We're kind of idiots anyways and don't know what's best for the franchise anyways.

It's a good thing they don't listen to us. Smash would be a disaster right now. Lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Cutting the roster down to 20-30 is a bad idea no matter how you want to slice it. Only bad can come out of that.

Morbi

Scavenger
There's a slew of more prominent and well known Nintendo characters than ''Lead of Dead RPG franchise."

Dixie Kong, K. Rool (even if he's in a similar place to Isaac due to disuse), Ridley, people like Captain Toad, Isabelle, Pauline who are blowing up right now, new reps from Fire Emblem that has a new installment pretty much every 2 months it feels like, Pokemon reps because that **** is like Fire Emblem and has a new potential rep shoved out every 2 seconds, etc, etc.

Isaac is a tiny tiny little spec in a massive pool of just Nintendo people that Sakurai could pull from and would generate more hype and more of a ''Yeah, that makes sense." than he would.

Then you throw him into a big scary world of adding potential third party reps, even in a ballot he's gonna get curbstomped. Especially in a second ballot because that's when everyone and their mother is gonna try to get in their third party reps by voting and voting and voting.

Isaac is one of the biggest dead cases in Smash history right now.
That is my point. Outside of Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem and the potential for Ridley or Sylux and the odd character here or there, such as Isabelle, there is not much else. Plenty of room for Isaac. If they added everyone you put forth with 3 third-party representatives, there would still be room if they add less than any other Smash prior to this, fam.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

It's a nice idea in concept, but from what I see, and me personally, drastically trimming the roster would infuriate a lot of the fans. There will come a time where major cuts will have to be made. Smash VI or Smash VII maybe, because it'll get to a point where the roster would become incredibly too large, and that wouldn't be good. 100+ characters? Never.

Smash V will probably be pushing it to the limit roster wise, but I don't think it's quite time for a Smash Roster reset.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That is my point. Outside of Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem and the potential for Ridley or Sylux and the odd character here or there, such as Isabelle, there is not much else. Plenty of room for Isaac. If they added everyone you put forth with 3 third-party representatives, there would still be room if they add less than any other Smash prior to this, fam.
If you're one of those people who believes they're at the bottom of the barrel? You're wrong.

They're barely even mid-way down the barrel, bud.

Isaac's down at the bottom, btw.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Fans would think the apocalypse was upon us but the game would still be fine.
Maybe but there would be a lot of resentment from all fans casual and hardcore alike. Nintendo would have to take notice.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Uhh... I think you meant to say that it pleases you to still see Isaac popular right? lol.
No, it pains me because, like Krystal, I think they would have been perfect characters for Brawl but have become significantly less relevant in the past decade, all but dooming them unless ala Dixie Kong they suddenly make a huge comeback at some point.

Morbi

Scavenger
If you're one of those people who believes they're at the bottom of the barrel? You're wrong.

They're barely even got mid-way down the barrel, bud.

Saying it over and over again does not make it true. The fact of the matter is Nintendo has not moved much in the last 2 years and in their massive entries, BotW and Odyssey, they did not really treat any characters exceptionally. Look, you believe what you want to believe. I believe there is enough for this last game and that is it. Once we get passed another 10-15, it is going to be relative nobodies to your general Nintendo fan. Not to mention the general consumers.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have said this before in Isaac's RTC, but I am not sure if people gave the chance to read my different perspective:

Personally, I think Issac's chances have past. Having seen Golden Sun content in Smash 4 only in the form of music, and not even an Assist Trophy. Dark Dawn came out 8 years ago, and Camelot has been only making games on what sells more like the recent Mario Tennis Aces game. His lack of relevance will not put him into consideration, except maybe in the case of the ballot. I do have one hopeful thing to say though that I feel might happen though.

If Mario Tennis Aces does end up being a super successful critically acclaimed hit this year, this could motivate Camelot to create a better Golden Sun game in the next few years. Mind you, the chances of that coming out in time for Smash Bros Switch for promotional purposes are likely way out of the window (except in the possible case of DLC, but I doubt Sakurai would have dramatically changed his mind on Isaac, even if Camelot were to tell the studio about an upcoming GS game).

But, rather looking at Isaac from a negative point of view, I thought it would be neat to analyze the possibility of Isaac actually being a very probable candidate in the very far future. In my opinion, Isaac having a solid chance in a Smash after the Switch installment all depends on Camelot being willing to make great games again, after the disaster that was the Wii U Mario Tennis game. The fan popularity is there. The moveset potential is there. It is all up to Camelot's will.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Uh this Isaac conversation is a little strange.

Remember Sakurai is the one who chooses what characters get in right? The one who put Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, R.O.B. Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch and Pit in? Isaac doesn't have to win the Smash Ballot to be a playable character.

If Sakurai notices him (and this is a big if) and finds him unique enough, he has a shot. A really small shot though, because it's not really clear whether we're getting a lot of newcomers and he is a little under the radar.

Saying he's almost completely drowned out by other Smash Ballot requests is asinine. Do you really think Sakurai is going to take the top ten most popular Smash Ballot reps (that aren't **** like Goku) and call it a day? Because if so, you guys are going to be disappointed. That isn't the way he does things.

:kirby:

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Isaac has completely missed his window of opportunity. I'm not expecting him in the slightest despite me wanting him.

And those polls are done on Smashboards/other internet sites so it's not indicative of actual popularity (I mean like popularity among all fans; casual/hardcore alike despite me not liking to use that term).
Yet IGN (or was it another site?) just did a "most wanted Switch games" with 4k votes and Golden Sun placed 16th (with Smash Bros placing 1st).

Actually if you look at the poll Golden Sun is the top franchise without a playable character in Smash.

The polls back in 2014 were done in many sites, at least 5 different ones I used to visit all had polls with Isaac being in the top 5-10 most wanted DLC chars that were not veterans. Even Pushdustin's Japanese poll had Isaac as a top contender.

Most people who voted in Sakurai's poll are Smash fans, because they had to somehow know of the poll and it's location. So having polls from 5 of the most used Smash sites is actually a good chunk of data to determine how the ballot sort of went.

Edit: PS: "Not relevant". Yet placed as the most wanted franchise (that isn't in Smash) to get a game in the Switch by Nintendo fans (not Smash fans) in a poll.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Uh this Isaac conversation is a little strange.

Remember Sakurai is the one who chooses what characters gets in right? The one who put Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, R.O.B. Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch and Pit in? He doesn't have to win the Smash Ballot to be a playable character.

If Sakurai notices him (and this is a big if) and finds him unique enough, he has a shot. A really small shot though, because it's not really clear whether we're getting a lot of newcomers and he is a little under the radar. But saying he's drowned out by other Smash Ballot requests is strange.

Do you really think Sakurai is going to take the top ten most popular Smash Ballot reps (that aren't **** like Goku) and call it a day? Because if so, you guys are going to be disappointed. That isn't the way he does things.

:kirby:
Well, Sakurai removed him as an assist trophy. So... He noticed him. Just not sure if it is a good or bad sort of notice.

Also, Goku is going to make it in this next Smash. Mark my words, or do not even bother, I will be around smearing it in everyone's faces when the time comes, that you can guarantee. :awesome:

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Do you guys/girls think that the FE Heroes's choosen characters can influence the Fire Emblem representation in Smash?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Cutting the roster down to 20-30 is a bad idea no matter how you want to slice it. Only bad can come out of that.
This. More reasons why this would be an absolutely disastrous decision for Nintendo:

-Nintendo has already made it apparent that this going to be at least one of their big Holiday games.
-Nintendo has already made it apparent that this was going to be the game that they sell people on their new online service on.
-The first SSB5 trailer had no less than 12 characters in it, with some people arguing as much as 16, meaning as much as half the cast has already been teased at.
-Nintendo's having this game up front and center at E3 this year and nothing would utterly deflate the hype like up to 70% of SSB4's roster getting nuked.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Do you guys/girls think that the FE Heroes's choosen characters can influence the Fire Emblem representation in Smash?
It might influence them to keep Lucina (or Roy) and possibly (probably not) rework her kit and if they decided to do that, they could make Chrom the clone. Other than that, it is pretty noteworthy that Lyn is number one. Beyond that, nah.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

They're barely even mid-way down the barrel, bud.

He was down at the bottom since Smash 4. Brawl was his only chance and even then he didn't come close to being in the pool of major Nintendo characters (Olimar, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Wario)

I would like to see some unlockable characters that are from more obscure gems in Nintendo's history like Chib-Robo or Lip. So Golden Sun is definitely considered a gem, but I don't understand why people are so hell bent on pushing Isaac.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He was down at the bottom since Smash 4. Brawl was his only chance and even then he didn't come close to being in the pool of major Nintendo characters (Olimar, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Wario)

I would like to see some unlockable characters that are from more obscure gems in Nintendo's history like Chib-Robo or Lip. So Golden Sun is definitely considered a gem, but I don't understand why people are so hell bent on pushing Isaac.
It's because of his flashy looking earth magic.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
ugh no. the "game as a service" model needs to **** off and die already. it's already turned many good games into microtransaction/lootbox ridden messes. keep it away from smash please.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It would just convince people to buy the 3DS version instead. If they're gonna sell Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch, it needs to surpass the 3DS version in terms of content.

3DS is still being supported. And will for another year or so. Just like with the Wii U version, if there are characters that are in the 3DS version that aren't in the Switch version, it's going to tear people between the two games. It's only been two years since there were characters added to Smash for Wii U/3DS. There's going to be expectations that Nintendo has to fill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom