• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Can someone give me a rundown of everything mystic said because he flip flopped so much?
- claimed to know that the banner was fake
- claimed to say that 5/7 characters + incineroar are in the game anyway (lol)
- believes it's fake due to one of the remaining (likely Mach Rider in his eyes) is apparently an AT
-Starts getting pretty flip-floppy about information

-Gets fired from his job

- Comes back 12 hours later and explains his whole situation adamantly, while also disclaiming that people should never 100% believe him, as he doesn't even know if he 100% believes his sources.

- Somehow, other Insiders STILL parrot his "leak" as information.

That's basically the gist of it.

Last edited:

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Finally a serious post lol. Might as well give my actual predictions...

*Direct opens up with Isaac's trailer which may or may not have a Felix Echo Fighter. Venus Lighthouse is the multiplayer stage and Mars Lighthouse is the boss stage where you fight the Doom Dragon. Alex is an Assist Trophy and the Doom Dragon is a Boss in the new Spirits Mode. The Golden Sun item (Growth Psynergy) is also shown*

*Ken, Shadow, and Mach Rider are the last Echo Fighters (MR can go either way if he/she is actually in the game)

*Online play is talked in detail along with the new feature (the 32 player thing). For Fun has features found in local multiplayer and For Glory is overhauled in that stages include Battlefield forms in addition to FD ones*

*Vault content is shown off in full (Trophies, Replays, Sound Test/My Music, Snapshots, Trailers, what have you) . Trophies now exceed 1,000 and Stickers make a return from Brawl (IDK why lol). Masterpieces are limited to the NES catalog from the Switch Online Membership (sucks I know). And if there's any justice in the world, Coin Launcher is going to return from Brawl along with it's sweet track. :) New features are shown off as well not in any previous Smash game.*

*Challenges are back in full force and include over 200 challenges to complete though this time the player get 10 Golden Hammers instead of 5.*

*Classic Mode is shown off again briefly and the end boss is shown off. Hopefully in the old style of difficulty where it goes from Very Easy-Very Hard or like Brawl where it goes from Easy-Intense. Break the Targets, Race to the Finish, and another new mode are included as well.*

*All-Star Mode is overhauled given how big the roster is and is now a Survival Mode. Pitting you against the entire Smash roster by 1's, 2's, and 3's at random until you lose.*

*Event matches return and are more or less the same.*

*The last Assist Trophies are shown off.*

*Geno's trailer is shown in full and whatever. Black Mage is introduces as SE's Assist Trophy.*

*Spirits Mode gets talked about in great detail and is a mid-point between Melee's Adventure Mode and Brawl's Subspace. Being that it's like Melee's but with Brawl's bosses and small cutscenes to introduce the bosses.

*The Direct ends with Sakurai thanking everyone for supporting the series and he hopes we all enjoy Smash Bros Ultimate when it comes out*

*The Direct fades to black but right before Treehouse Live starts, we hear a familiar sound teasing something for the future.*
This is good!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Alright guys, what's another new/crazy Assist character you're thinking might happen?

I think Shantae might make sense, since Shovel Knight got to be an Assist too.
Shantae, Steve, Black Mage, Chun-Li, and Rayman.

Lets see how many of these I get right lol.

Ezegengar15

Smash Rookie
I can't be the only one who doesn't want the game to have DLC at all... Right?

At least, not DLC for playable characters.
Honeslty, i dont want DLC
Is expensive enough to me to get the game here in my country,so getting dream characters as dlc, that can change the game meta and the competitive, is really bad to me
Stages are ok, but characters (if they are really good choices in my book) are the reason why i dont ,mostly, support dlc in this game
I rather want it to be delayed and add those character to the base roster

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Talking to my friends who are casual smash fans makes me realize how crazy the roster already is. The only non-echo newcomer whos being highly rumored right now that they even know is Banjo. I think Smash Bros represents Nintendo so well already, no matter who we get.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to apologize to anyone. If the leak is wrong, I only have myself and like 80% of the smash community's judgement on it being convinced it was real. On one hand we should blame ourselves, but on the other it's a scumbag, yet tenuous of a leaker who put in an obscene amount of work and somehow luck into delivering Zodiac Killer levels of an unsolvable leak.

Like, **** this leaker for making us ALL feel this way.

If we didn't have a leak the past week, we could have been genuinely surprised by this direct.

Now there are only 2 outcomes:

1. Leak is fake and the biggest internet meltdown happens at the severe tragedy of even thinking these characters were possible together, so **** the leaker.

2. The leak is true, it's what many people want/expect/whatever, but it also creates massive internet toxicity to Insiders and team fake.

Insiders definitely do deserve some flak if it's wrong, but it's likely going to go to some really, REALLY bad places no matter what on Thursday.
Your words are 100% then again your stance is very realistic which sadly is not the case for the vast majority of this community who see everything throu tinted glasses and within the bubble they live in.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
So with the direct incoming, how about some movie watching victories?

If Team Real is correct, then Team Fake has to watch all 3 Grinch films, starting with the newest and working backwards to the classic.

If Team Fake is correct, Team Real has to watch the live action Cat in the Hat film.

If both are wrong, then both teams watch the live action Grinch and Cat films. On Blu-Ray.
I'm not seeing the downside here.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I will put something for though

For the banner

Echo reveals are average of 1 minute

Unique is average at 2 minutes

So (5x2) + 2 equals about 12 minutes of the direct to reveal 7 characters give or take

I think 28 to whatever minutes is more than enough to talk about the rest of the modes
If the banner is real, I don't expect more reveals than the August 8 Direct. Sakurai said he'd slow the rate down of revealing newcomers. I think he'll just throw us 3~4 max, and leave a few for the very last Direct, which this Direct isn't implied to be. It's just 40 minutes of showcase, and I think a lot of attention will go to the unspoken Spirits Mode.

D

Deleted member

Turns out it was just the same 30 insiders who said they were against it reiterating they're against it.
I love how this is said as if it wasn't a big deal.
Yeah, ignore the 30 ****ing people with inside sources saying the same thing.
I'm not going to apologize to anyone. If the leak is wrong, I only have myself and like 80% of the smash community's judgement on it being convinced it was real. On one hand we should blame ourselves, but on the other it's a scumbag, yet leaker who put in an obscene amount of work and somehow luck into delivering Zodiac Killer levels of an unsolvable leak.
"I'm not going to apologize because it's someone else's fault for me acting like a ********"

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Because Meyers as a cat is a lot worse that Carey as a Grinch.
I know (I was calling out the bias).

However, I'm fully ready to watch it again if it turns out fake.

(I'd find a gif from the movie to make this post funny, but that movie is too R rated for SmashBoards)

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Boy, you listen and you listen good: if you're going to support ANY non-game character, it's gotta be Zoe. GOT IT?
(I'm kidding around, I'm sure your post was a joke too.)
Ok let's do this:

If you support Shrek Im going to support Zoe.

So that way both characters get confirmed. win-win

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
Hm, assuming the leak is the real deal (which I believe it is), I think talking about characters and their respective stages will take up to 15 minutes total. If we assume that
I will put something for though

For the banner

Echo reveals are average of 1 minute

Unique is average at 2 minutes

So (5x2) + 2 equals about 12 minutes of the direct to reveal 7 characters give or take

I think 28 to whatever minutes is more than enough to talk about the rest of the modes

Assuming every character gets their own CG trailer (which, personally, I'm doubtful of) then the reveals would be around 2-2 1/2 minutes each. This is assuming Sakurai chooses not to go in depth with how the characters work and what their stages are like.

Personally, I think we'll get a single trailer with rapid fire reveals similar to Melee and Brawl's debut trailers, and Sakurai will go a little more in-depth with them later. Although that said, it is possible that he'll save a single reveal for the very end, should that actually be the case, I 100% think Banjo is the character saved for last.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Finally a serious post lol. Might as well give my actual predictions...

*Direct opens up with Isaac's trailer which may or may not have a Felix Echo Fighter. Venus Lighthouse is the multiplayer stage and Mars Lighthouse is the boss stage where you fight the Doom Dragon. Alex is an Assist Trophy and the Doom Dragon is a Boss in the new Spirits Mode. The Golden Sun item (Growth Psynergy) is also shown*

*Ken, Shadow, and Mach Rider are the last Echo Fighters (MR can go either way if he/she is actually in the game)

*Online play is talked in detail along with the new feature (the 32 player thing). For Fun has features found in local multiplayer and For Glory is overhauled in that stages include Battlefield forms in addition to FD ones*

*Vault content is shown off in full (Trophies, Replays, Sound Test/My Music, Snapshots, Trailers, what have you) . Trophies now exceed 1,000 and Stickers make a return from Brawl (IDK why lol). Masterpieces are limited to the NES catalog from the Switch Online Membership (sucks I know). And if there's any justice in the world, Coin Launcher is going to return from Brawl along with it's sweet track. :) New features are shown off as well not in any previous Smash game.*

*Challenges are back in full force and include over 200 challenges to complete though this time the player get 10 Golden Hammers instead of 5.*

*Classic Mode is shown off again briefly and the end boss is shown off. Hopefully in the old style of difficulty where it goes from Very Easy-Very Hard or like Brawl where it goes from Easy-Intense. Break the Targets, Race to the Finish, and another new mode are included as well.*

*All-Star Mode is overhauled given how big the roster is and is now a Survival Mode. Pitting you against the entire Smash roster by 1's, 2's, and 3's at random until you lose.*

*Event matches return and are more or less the same.*

*The last Assist Trophies are shown off.*

*Geno's trailer is shown in full and whatever. Black Mage is introduced as SE's Assist Trophy.*

*Spirits Mode gets talked about in great detail and is a mid-point between Melee's Adventure Mode and Brawl's Subspace. Being that it's like Melee's but with Brawl's bosses and small cutscenes to introduce the bosses.

*The Direct ends with Sakurai thanking everyone for supporting the series and he hopes we all enjoy Smash Bros Ultimate when it comes out*

*The Direct fades to black but right before Treehouse Live starts, we hear a familiar sound teasing something for the future.*
While you're here, lemme send something you guys might appreciate:

https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-058-ANDY-725375785

On that note, depending on how the direct goes, Fandango may have successfully predicted nearly everyone in the leak.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm not seeing the downside here.
A downside eh... Ok......

If Real wins, Fake has to do All of the above dressed as the Grinch

If Fake wins, Real watches the film dressed as the Cat in the Hat

If both lose, both teams watch the films as the opposite team (Real = Cat; Fake = Grinch for those wondering)

D

Deleted member

https://twitter.com/Stealth___/status/1057272319624777729
Taking with the largest grain of salt known to man but...
I'm telling you right now, he's trying to claim the information as his own before Spawn Wave could.

After this Direct, there are gonna be SO many people that're gonna try to say "Sora @ The Game Awards" yet WE ALL KNOW that Spawn Wave has been the one who said it first while the insiders kept on going about "No Incineroar".

There's a reason why I've been pushing Spawn these past months and this is exactly why. Stealth, LeakyPandy, so many people once they hear from his sources, then go off to say what's going on and claim it as their own.

This guy runs a daily gaming news channel, takes apart technology from past and current consoles and every now and then an insider. You have to give the guy credit, and I'll continue to push Spawn until we see that very moment @ The Game Awards.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'm not going to apologize to anyone. If the leak is wrong, I only have myself and like 80% of the smash community's judgement on it being convinced it was real. On one hand we should blame ourselves, but on the other it's a scumbag, yet tenuous of a leaker who put in an obscene amount of work and somehow luck into delivering Zodiac Killer levels of an unsolvable leak.

Like, **** this leaker for making us ALL feel this way.

If we didn't have a leak the past week, we could have been genuinely surprised by this direct.

Now there are only 2 outcomes:

1. Leak is fake and the biggest internet meltdown happens at the severe tragedy of even thinking these characters were possible together, so **** the leaker.

2. The leak is true, it's what many people want/expect/whatever, but it also creates massive internet toxicity to Insiders and team fake.

Insiders definitely do deserve some flak if it's wrong, but it's likely going to go to some really, REALLY bad places no matter what on Thursday.
Okay hard disagree. It's not the 'leaker's' fault if we get upset, we'd have let ourselves get upset over believing something so lofty. And the pseudo-bandwagon argument of '80% of the community believed it so we don't have to apologize for being wrong' is pretty crummy.

If the leak is fake, there are indeed a LOT of people, specifically those who harassed and made fun of leakers, who need to make some kind of apology, and a few, like me or you, who need to at least be able to admit the insiders had more information than we gave them credit for.

But if the leak is real, while there will inevitably be a lot of 'told-you-so's' going around, I hope most of the community can be graceful about it, though I WILL expect apologies from certain individuals who were being especially bitter about the leak being 'totally fake'.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Your words are 100% then again your stance is very realistic which sadly is not the case for the vast majority of this community who see everything throu tinted glasses and within the bubble they live in.
I try. I know I'm super biased towards the leak, but I know that there is a possibility it being super wrong and we missed something that could have given it away, even after the 7 days of scrutinizing it repeatedly.

I want it to be real for everyone. It may not be what everyone wants, but it is a huge deal for the smash community if these specific characters get in (rather several of them). It ends a lot of heated speculation the last 10 years, and along with K. Rool and Ridley, I'd love for it to finally end.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Alright guys, what's another new/crazy Assist character you're thinking might happen?

I think Shantae might make sense, since Shovel Knight got to be an Assist too.
Agreed with Shantae, I’d be happy to see her in the game at all, playable or otherwise.

If Banjo does make it in, we could see another Rare character. Imagine Conker running around with a chainsaw. Or one of the Battletoads doing their shape-shifting shenanigans.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hm, assuming the leak is the real deal (which I believe it is), I think talking about characters and their respective stages will take up to 15 minutes total. If we assume that

Assuming every character gets their own CG trailer (which, personally, I'm doubtful of) then the reveals would be around 2-2 1/2 minutes each. This is assuming Sakurai chooses not to go in depth with how the characters work and what their stages are like.

Personally, I think we'll get a single trailer with rapid fire reveals similar to Melee and Brawl's debut trailers, and Sakurai will go a little more in-depth with them later. Although that said, it is possible that he'll save a single reveal for the very end, should that actually be the case, I 100% think Banjo is the character saved for last.
I heavily doubt we'll get multi-character trailers like Brawl and Melee did. They were both game reveal trailers, after all.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Agreed with Shantae, I’d be happy to see her in the game at all, playable or otherwise.

If Banjo does make it in, we could see another Rare character. Imagine Conker running around with a chainsaw. Or one of the Battletoads doing their shape-shifting shenanigans.
Solaire will be a good AT too

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So with the direct incoming, how about some movie watching victories?

If Team Real is correct, then Team Fake has to watch all 3 Grinch films, starting with the newest and working backwards to the classic.

If Team Fake is correct, Team Real has to watch the live action Cat in the Hat film.

If both are wrong, then both teams watch the live action Grinch and Cat films. On Blu-Ray.
Well, I mean, my family watches both current Grinch movies every Christmas already. They're good.

I wouldn't want to wish Mike Myers's The Cat in the Hat upon anyone, friend or foe.

D

Deleted member

You're one to talk about being smug and condescending. Lest we forget this little gem:
I guess if it's fake you'll never live this down and nothing short of an apology is going to make up for your behaviour?
Sure. But that's unrelated to the leak. That's me correcting someone on how to properly address arguments. I would have done that regardless of what we were talking about.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
A downside eh... Ok......

If Real wins, Fake has to do All of the above dressed as the Grinch

If Fake wins, Real watches the film dressed as the Cat in the Hat

If both lose, both teams watch the films as the opposite team (Real = Cat; Fake = Grinch for those wondering)
How do both teams lose?

D

Deleted member

The problem with the first one is it doesn't talk about anything that's in Games & More (All Star?, Stadium?), in Vault (Trophies?) or in Online, all things we know almost nothing about.
Forgot to include it lol; I meant to put that with the 'Spirits' section.

Honestly, being 40 minutes, regardless of whether there's 2 or 7 characters left, the 'modes' section is going to be longest part of the direct.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
While you're here, lemme send something you guys might appreciate:

https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-058-ANDY-725375785

On that note, depending on how the direct goes, Fandango may have successfully predicted nearly everyone in the leak.
That's a sweet artwork! As an Andy supporter it warms my heart when I see artists make fanart of him and support the series.

I never heard his name before in the context of Smash speculation. Did he make predictions that came true?

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
I think of all the brand new characters in the leak, Isaac currently has the best shot of being announced should the leak be hot air. There's the Golden Sun trademark being renewed a year early, the Rathalos picture that Sakurai conspicuously pointed out, and the item leak that I'm 99% certain is from Golden Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom