• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Eh, giant/giantess art isn't as bad as the inflation art, IMO. :V
This thread is going places I never would have expected. Certainly places I wish it hadn't. :p

While we're on the subject of "status" effects though. What are some others you think they could add to Smash? We've already got size changes, "poison" via the flower effect, freezing, metal, and time slowdowns.

I'd love to see Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2 - before Sonic was revealed for Smash 4, I was hoping that would be his stage.
I was hoping for CPZ as well, and it's certainly still a stage I still want to see in Smash someday. It'd be a great stage for the proposed new water mechanics given the fluctuating levels of mega mack.

If not a Sonic 2 stage, something from 3 & Knuckles would be nice to see. I'm pretty partial to Flying Battery Zone (so glad it's in Mania now :love:), but I know Sky Sanctuary is probably the more popular choice.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This thread is going places I never would have expected. Certainly places I wish it hadn't. :p

While we're on the subject of "status" effects though. What are some others you think they could add to Smash? We've already got size changes, "poison" via the flower effect, freezing, metal, and time slowdowns.
Don't forget "stun", which is mostly via a shield break or an effect move like Disable. That's kind of underused too.

There's really not much else, I guess? Seems like the big stuff is covered. Speeding up is kind of there with Fast/Slow modes, so maybe that as a specific status?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Eh, giant/giantess art isn't as bad as the inflation art, IMO. :V
I love giantesses so much I'm making a fighting game about them. I'm sure you've seen my sig.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. It's about time we got a stage that gets flooded or have a stage that's just perpetually underwater like something from Starfy.

We'd definitely need another Sonic stage though, just to have the running out of air countdown music.
What mainly inspired it is that most of the platforming characters sink in their original games whenever they go underwater. The only one that floats is Link, and that's only in the 3D Zeldas. So I think fighting underwater is mostly feasible.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh God, if they are going to include another FE character, at least choose someone unique.

Like an axe user, or pegasus rider or whatever... except spear user because that's Bandana Dee's job :awesome:
Luigified Lucina, with Chrom as an alt. His model is already in the game, and if we get a direct port it becomes all the more likely. He's very popular, was considered by Sakurai, has a model perfect for Smash, is appearing in new Fire Emblem content as Heroes and Warriors... I say he's got quite a good shot.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Luigified Lucina, with Chrom as an alt. His model is already in the game, and if we get a direct port it becomes all the more likely. He's very popular, was considered by Sakurai, has a model perfect for Smash, is appearing in new Fire Emblem content as Heroes and Warriors... I say he's got quite a good shot.
I really doubt it to be honest, but it is just an alt I personally wouldn't care.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh God, if they are going to include another FE character, at least choose someone unique.

Like an axe user, or pegasus rider or whatever... except spear user because that's Bandana Dee's job :awesome:
This post made Ephraim and Azura very sad.

D

Deleted member

I love giantesses so much I'm making a fighting game about them. I'm sure you've seen my sig.
That actually has me curious about something if you don't mind me asking this.
In a fighting game where the cast is more or less a giantess, how does one set them apart while still conveying that they are indeed giant compared to the "normal" population?

Blindness. How it should work is still up for discussion, though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I mean, Chrom can easily be made unique. It's still one of those moments I feel Sakurai was a bit shortsighted with. Yeah, Robin has more obvious potential, but I think he was still too quick to write off Chrom completely.

A weapon switching mechanic where Chrom alternates between the Exalted Falchion and a lance (let's say, the Blessed Lance) would make absolute sense, since

1) Weapon strengths and weaknesses are a huge part of Fire Emblem that's currently untapped in Smash. Chrom has access to two thirds of the weapon triangle in his Lord>Great Lord class set, so having him switch between the two depending on what the situation calls for would be great to see.

2) Chrom is the only character in Awakening with direct access to the Convoy, allowing an in-universe excuse as to why weapon switching would be Chrom's "thing."

3) Project X Zone 2 had him use the sword+lance combo, so Smash wouldn't have it come out of nowhere. :p

The basic playstyle would be a combo-heavy rush down character when in Exalted Falchion mode, and a mid ranged poker when in Blessed Lance mode, with Chrom's normals changing depending on his stance, and his specials having different effects. He'd also have the best jumps of the Fire Emblem cast, complete with a significant air game (because tons of his battle animations in Awakening involve jumping).

PsychoJosh

That actually has me curious about something if you don't mind me asking this.
In a fighting game where the cast is more or less a giantess, how does one set them apart while still conveying that they are indeed giant compared to the "normal" population?.
They have wildly divergent bodytypes and playstyles. I don't wanna derail the thread so I'll elaborate in a PM.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ike also had great jumps in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, the former especially. He's still bested in the air by Marth and Lucina even though he should have jumps matching Luigi and Falco.

But honestly, a Luigified Lucina having Chrom as an alt is the best thing I can imagine for Chrom. They are not gonna give him a fully unique moveset, and I wouldn't like it if they did either. He and Lucina fought exactly the same way in Awakening, so it makes sense of them to be complete clones of each other in Smash to.

Throw in a lance move for all I care on Lucina / Chrom, just make it unique from Corrin's attack that's all I'm asking. But honestly, I doubt that either Lucina or Chrom is gonna use any different weapon than their Falchion. All their promotion art is with that weapon- so bet on it it's the Falchion they are gonna use.

To be honest, even Luigifying Lucina is a lot to ask for since we got Roy running around. So it's best to keep expectations to a minimum.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
They have wildly divergent bodytypes and playstyles. I don't wanna derail the thread so I'll elaborate in a PM.
Can I get in on that PM? I'm curious/interested in what your game is about.

And to post something related to the thread, I agree with Opossum that Chrom still has plenty of potential and merit to be a character of his own. Only problem then is that then we'd have 3 Awakening characters. I mean, I guess we do have plenty of Gen 1 Pokemon, but that'd definitely be a complaint if it were to ever happen.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Even though I think it's mostly unlikely, but not impossible, I think Super Smash Bros. would benefit from crossover outfits that not only fit the character (personality and model wise,) but also keeps within Smash's limits. I don't want these in a palette, but full-on outfit change. Their weapons don't change, though.

For example, I would like to see the following outfits set ups

• Shulk's outfit on Dark Pit
  • Captain Falcon looking like a member of Star Fox
  • Bringing the Link outfit of Sonic's from Lost World
  • Bayonetta donning the Zero Suit.
  • Ike taking the outfit of Kid Icarus's Magnus.
I can think of others, but these would be pretty cool to see.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
While these status effects might be annoying, I think they're at least worth looking into...

Fear - Forces movement away from opponent.

Taunted - Forces you to run at opponent.

Confused - Scrambles controls.

Weakened/cursed - Opponent revives double damage/knock back, and halves their own.

Trapped - Opponent is unable to leave an area for a certain amount of time.

What do you think?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
While these status effects might be annoying, I think they're at least worth looking into...

Weakened/cursed - Opponent revives double damage/knock back, and halves their own.

What do you think?
I think confusion and cursed could work well as general effects. I feel like trapped would be more well suited for a particular stage as it's gimmick. Fear and taunted I'm not too fond of since it seems like it'd take too much control away from the player.

Even though I think it's mostly unlikely, but not impossible, I think Super Smash Bros. would benefit from crossover outfits that not only fit the character (personality and model wise,) but also keeps within Smash's limits. I don't want these in a palette, but full-on outfit change. Their weapons don't change, though.

Seems like a pretty neat idea, though I'd personally stick to stuff that's actually happened though. So Sonic with Link's tunic and Bayonetta with some of her Nintendo crossover costumes like the one's based off of Peach and Daisy.

But before we get anything like crossover costumes and the like, I'd like to see more costumes that characters actually have.

I did have a sort of similar idea that stays within each characters series though. It was enemy/minion costume sets.
  • So Pit and Dark Pit for example would have costumes based on the Light and Dark Fighters from multiplayer.
  • Palutena could have a costume based on the Mimicutie.
  • Pit and Palutena could have costume's based on the Centurion and Centurion Knight.
  • DK and Diddy could have costumes based off the Snowmads gear.
A lot of KI examples I know, but that's where I got started with the idea.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
It's been a while since I've gone on Smashboards, so why not.

I mean, Chrom can easily be made unique. It's still one of those moments I feel Sakurai was a bit shortsighted with. Yeah, Robin has more obvious potential, but I think he was still too quick to write off Chrom completely.

A weapon switching mechanic where Chrom alternates between the Exalted Falchion and a lance (let's say, the Blessed Lance) would make absolute sense, since

1) Weapon strengths and weaknesses are a huge part of Fire Emblem that's currently untapped in Smash. Chrom has access to two thirds of the weapon triangle in his Lord>Great Lord class set, so having him switch between the two depending on what the situation calls for would be great to see.

2) Chrom is the only character in Awakening with direct access to the Convoy, allowing an in-universe excuse as to why weapon switching would be Chrom's "thing."

3) Project X Zone 2 had him use the sword+lance combo, so Smash wouldn't have it come out of nowhere. :p

The basic playstyle would be a combo-heavy rush down character when in Exalted Falchion mode, and a mid ranged poker when in Blessed Lance mode, with Chrom's normals changing depending on his stance, and his specials having different effects. He'd also have the best jumps of the Fire Emblem cast, complete with a significant air game (because tons of his battle animations in Awakening involve jumping).
Ike also had great jumps in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, the former especially. He's still bested in the air by Marth and Lucina even though he should have jumps matching Luigi and Falco.

But honestly, a Luigified Lucina having Chrom as an alt is the best thing I can imagine for Chrom. They are not gonna give him a fully unique moveset, and I wouldn't like it if they did either. He and Lucina fought exactly the same way in Awakening, so it makes sense of them to be complete clones of each other in Smash to.

Throw in a lance move for all I care on Lucina / Chrom, just make it unique from Corrin's attack that's all I'm asking. But honestly, I doubt that either Lucina or Chrom is gonna use any different weapon than their Falchion. All their promotion art is with that weapon- so bet on it it's the Falchion they are gonna use.

To be honest, even Luigifying Lucina is a lot to ask for since we got Roy running around. So it's best to keep expectations to a minimum.
In some ways, I agree with Diddy, that unless Chrom has a major role in a FE game in between now and the next Smash, he's not going to get much besides maybe an alternate costume of one of the existing FE characters. There's also the fact that he'd mark the 7th Fire Emblem character in the game, something people already complained about before Roy / Corrin dropped as DLC. Yet, I can see the argument for the stance switching, and despite people complaining that there were too many FE characters, it's hard to ignore the impact that Awakening had.

Personally? I've never really played Fire Emblem. I've been trying to get my hands on Awakening for quite some time, but it's never really materialized. My ideal way of implementing Chrom is as a dual character to a highly retooled Lucina akin to Olimar / Alph, considering (from my limited knowledge) they fight nearly identically as father and daughter.

Instead of being a "beginner's Marth", Chrom / Lucina would still use the sword offensively, with focus on combos. However, their Specials would be changed greatly from the original setup, giving them ways to counter.
  • Down Special would be Aegis. After taking a defensive stance, once triggered by a projectile, the user dashes forward and delivers a powerful slash with a set knockback, giving you the chance to start a combo. The problem is that while it seems like a powerful counter, Aegis only reduces damage, taking half of the projectile's damage and dealing the other back. In other words, while it allows you to set up a combo, you're still taking damage, and you're not dealing much back either. While you could have a guaranteed follow-up, are you able to afford taking a little extra damage? On the brighter side, characters like Duck Hunt / Mega Man / Robin, who do rely on a multitude of projectiles to attack, have to be cautious in using their typical approaches, as one off-timed Metal Blade could mean certain death at high-enough percents.
  • Side Special becomes Lance Toss. Using the Blessed Lance, Chrom / Lucina tosses it forward a decent distance. It's not the most powerful projectile, and it's not the fastest by any means, but its purpose isn't to camp, but rather to help gimp recovering opponents from on-stage, or for mind games. Like, let's say we're on Battlefield. Chrom / Lucina's under the left platform, and your opponent on the right. With decent start-up and low endlag, despite it's slow nature, the opponent either has to jump and retreat to the platform, shield it, or roll in front of it. It's up to you to figure out what the best way to approach is.
Those two changes alone turn the duo into a character with great offensive capabilities, but have a multitude of ways to get to a far-off foe. I don't know if I'd ever complete this moveset, but it's a start.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Chrom support doesn't perplex me in the same way Daisy support does, he is pivotal to his game, but the thing is he's so ****ing white bread, more of the same, and deliberate-generic-FE-protagonist, I can't understand why people still want him. Yeah he can use multiple weapons but that trait is shared with only lots of other FE characters. Any future Marth will also be able to do it.

It's not that he can't be made unique, it's just like, why bother. There are much better choices from the series. Like upcoming characters, or more unique characters, or characters who don't already have two other personalities representing their game, or characters that weren't spurned by Sakurai for - imo - valid reasoning. Chrom was created to be like characters already on the roster.

I fail to see why he should be added other than because, like 99% of characters out there, he could be unique, or because he's big cheese in a game that probably won't get any additional representation in Smash at this point.

I think Sakurai picking Robin over Chrom was 100% the right choice. For something like FE Warriors, Chrom, as generic, recognizable, balanced protagonist makes sense to headline the game. In Smash, it'd just be redundant.

Also as important as Awakening was, it getting three characters is silly business. Marth's games kicked off the series, proved the most popular until Awakening (edit: in Japan), both got remade, and, by virtue of being more than one title, feature recurring characters. Yet we only get Marth. FE7 brought the series stateside, was successful enough to warrant continuing the series in the west, and has multiple popular characters... yet didn't get anything. Awakening, which will be old news by Smash 5, doesn't need anything more. Plus FE doesn't tend to look backwards when choosing new characters, does it?

Chrom won't get his chance another day. But, he is still being pushed by Nintendo. Look at FE:W. And Project X Zone. That's something to take solace in, if anything.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord

What do you think?
Not to try to shoe-in my own wanted characters here but Cursed would work very well for being a part of Ashley's gimmick of debuffing.
Isn't Confused slightly already in the game with Skull Kid's terribly annoying effect? I'm liking the idea of Trapped though, it could be a unique gimmick for a character too.

Crossover costumes would be absolutely lucrative for Nintendo as DLC too. It'll be a missed opportunity for them not to cash in on what makes modding so popular.

D

Deleted member

Shameless bump, as I believe it's an interesting question on an important subject which has been kinda overflew during these last 24 hours:
Now that we're speaking of DLCs, what are your ideas for handling them better?

I don't know about American players, or even foreign players by extent, but I can affirm DLC's pricing have not been well received in France.

I had the idea that Nintendo should have offered permanent price drops for some games related to the DLC characters on the eShop, like:

:4mewtwo:: -50% on Pokémon X & Y
:4lucas:: -50% on EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings
:4feroy:: -50% on Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword
:4ryu:: -50% on Super Street Fighter IV 3D
:4cloud:: -50% on Final Fantasy Tactic Advance
:4corrin:: -50% on Fire Emblem Awakening
:4bayonetta:: -50% on Bayonetta 2

Then there's the idea of Season Pass, but as I have no idea on how that work...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Shameless bump, as I believe it's an interesting question on an important subject which has been kinda overflew during these last 24 hours:
If anything it'd be the other way around; buying the game entitles you to download the corresponding character for free or for a discount. Like what they did with Mewtwo. There's no way in hell Nintendo discounts their titles anywhere close to 50% over the purchase of DLC.

Especially since the Smash DLC, even if anecdotally not well received, was by far the most lucrative of additional content offered by Nintendo. So I don't think they'll really see any need to shake things up at all. Which I guess might be a shame, the characters were a little pricey for it being piecemeal, but if people are willing to pay that money... there'd be no reason for a drop in the pricing structure.

Maybe Nintendo does a Season Pass, they've done it for other games... but they already pretty much did a similar thing with the bundles. I doubt they knew how many characters they were ultimately going to make when starting the DLC, which complicates plans such as season passes.

Though fwiw, apart from a few smaller complaints, I was generally pretty content with how the DLC was handled. It went above and beyond what I was expecting out of it...

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
^ I dunno man. They can't rrly make them too chealm Maybe just some bundle like the 3rd party bundle with cloud ryu and bayo.

Those discounts will never happen. MyNintendo rewards have those and to get enough gold coins you have to spend so much more than for 1 DLC character.

And if they ever cut Roy or Lucas and make him payable DLC, even if Smash 6 not Smash 5 or something I will be pissed.

I do not want to pay again for a character I don't rrly like and for the brawl vet I care least about. But I will cos Im a Smash fanboy. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrom support doesn't perplex me in the same way Daisy support does, he is pivotal to his game, but the thing is he's so ****ing white bread, more of the same, and deliberate-generic-FE-protagonist, I can't understand why people still want him. Yeah he can use multiple weapons but that trait is shared with only lots of other FE characters. Any future Marth will also be able to do it.

It's not that he can't be made unique, it's just like, why bother. There are much better choices from the series. Like upcoming characters, or more unique characters, or characters who don't already have two other personalities representing their game, or characters that weren't spurned by Sakurai for - imo - valid reasoning. Chrom was created to be like characters already on the roster.

I fail to see why he should be added other than because, like 99% of characters out there, he could be unique, or because he's big cheese in a game that probably won't get any additional representation in Smash at this point.

I think Sakurai picking Robin over Chrom was 100% the right choice. For something like FE Warriors, Chrom, as generic, recognizable, balanced protagonist makes sense to headline the game. In Smash, it'd just be redundant.

Also as important as Awakening was, it getting three characters is silly business. Marth's games kicked off the series, proved the most popular until Awakening (edit: in Japan), both got remade, and, by virtue of being more than one title, feature recurring characters. Yet we only get Marth. FE7 brought the series stateside, was successful enough to warrant continuing the series in the west, and has multiple popular characters... yet didn't get anything. Awakening, which will be old news by Smash 5, doesn't need anything more. Plus FE doesn't tend to look backwards when choosing new characters, does it?

Chrom won't get his chance another day. But, he is still being pushed by Nintendo. Look at FE:W. And Project X Zone. That's something to take solace in, if anything.
Well, I agree with all of this. However, Chrom is just a very, very easy addition. If we keep Lucina around, and Chrom's model is already fit for Smash, and Lucina gets some differenciation from Marth's moveset other than 'lol no tipper' and she's still able to provide something new that Marth and Roy cannot, I don't see why we shouldn't get Chrom as an alt to Lucina.

In that way, the character isn't a 'promoted Marth alt without tipper' anymore, but simply 'FE Awakening Great Lord'. And Chrom's model is already fully finished and workable. If Smash Switch is a direct port, why shouldn't they use it? If Lucina sticks around, Chrom becomes a easy addition.

It's funny really, Lucina was once considered as an alt to Marth, and if Lucina where to get some move set changes, Chrom could be her alt. So Chrom would get in as somebody's alternative costume, who was originally somebody's alternative costume. :laugh: This is the prime reason I want Chrom in. It'd be hilarious. And I never played Awakening.

D

Deleted member

Well, I agree with all of this. However, Chrom is just a very, very easy addition. If we keep Lucina around, and Chrom's model is already fit for Smash, and Lucina gets some differenciation from Marth's moveset other than 'lol no tipper' and she's still able to provide something new that Marth and Roy cannot, I don't see why we shouldn't get Chrom as an alt to Lucina.

In that way, the character isn't a 'promoted Marth alt without tipper' anymore, but simply 'FE Awakening Great Lord'. And Chrom's model is already fully finished and workable. If Smash Switch is a direct port, why shouldn't they use it? If Lucina sticks around, Chrom becomes a easy addition.

It's funny really, Lucina was once considered as an alt to Marth, and if Lucina where to get some move set changes, Chrom could be her alt. So Chrom would get in as somebody's alternative costume, who was originally somebody's alternative costume. :laugh: This is the prime reason I want Chrom in. It'd be hilarious. And I never played Awakening.
I fear the morphology differences between Lucina and Chrom might be a issue for this.

It works with Marth but for someone who is much less effeminate? I have some doubts.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I fear the morphology differences between Lucina and Chrom might be a issue for this.

It works with Marth but for someone who is much less effeminate? I have some doubts.
Marth's sword fighting style isn't bound by gender, and judging from videos, Marth, Chrom and Lucina all fight alike in Awakening.

Anyhow, am all for Chrom cause his inclusion would be hilarious.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

Cos Lucina is so awesome she shpuld have her great lord costume instead of chrom.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Marth's sword fighting style isn't bound by gender, and judging from videos, Marth, Chrom and Lucina all fight alike in Awakening.

Anyhow, am all for Chrom cause his inclusion would be hilarious.
I think the issue is that they'd have to shrink Chrom's model. Lucina is already shorter than Marth, her smaller hitbox/hurtbox being one of the few differences between the two. They could of course keep his model the same, but then you might have some situations where it looks like a hit should have connected, but it didn't given that the hitbox/hurtbox would need to stay the same.
Though I suppose it worked out just fine for Wii Fit Trainer, so I suppose they could find a good way to scale his model ever so slightly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the issue is that they'd have to shrink Chrom's model. Lucina is already shorter than Marth, her smaller hitbox/hurtbox being one of the few differences between the two. They could of course keep his model the same, but then you might have some situations where it looks like a hit should have connected, but it didn't given that the hitbox/hurtbox would need to stay the same.
Though I suppose it worked out just fine for Wii Fit Trainer, so I suppose they could find a good way to scale his model ever so slightly.
Why not make everyone the same size?

Also, the Greatest Great Lord is Hector.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Why not make everyone the same size?

Also, the Greatest Great Lord is Hector.
Everyone as in Marth, Lucina and Chrom, or everyone as in the entire cast of playable characters? :p

They probably could, and I'd imagine making Lucina slightly shorter or at least shrinking her hitbox to match her actual height was something they did after deciding they'd make her a clone.

Slight scaling here and there would maybe still need to be done, but overall, it'd be perfectly feasible.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:laugh: I meant Marth, Lucina and Chrom actually.

I actually was very, VERY annoyed that up untill Brawl most of the cast was of a similar size. Pikachu and Mario being just as tall just didn't seem right.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
:laugh: I meant Marth, Lucina and Chrom actually.

I actually was very, VERY annoyed that up untill Brawl most of the cast was of a similar size. Pikachu and Mario being just as tall just didn't seem right.
I've kind of gotten used to it at this point. And all things considered, I feel it was the right call to make. They have to take some creative liberties, especially when it comes to balancing the cast. Pikachu is already one of the smallest characters in the game, making him smaller combined with his speed and mobility would make him an even harder target to hit. He's already pretty slippery as it is, so unless they weakened him significantly to go with a smaller size, he wouldn't be very balanced. A tiny hard to hit character, who can combo really well, rack up damage quickly and has decent damage output on top of that is a recipe for disaster in terms of game balance. See Yoda in Soul Calibur IV.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Seems like a pretty neat idea, though I'd personally stick to stuff that's actually happened though. So Sonic with Link's tunic and Bayonetta with some of her Nintendo crossover costumes like the one's based off of Peach and Daisy.

But before we get anything like crossover costumes and the like, I'd like to see more costumes that characters actually have.

I did have a sort of similar idea that stays within each characters series though. It was enemy/minion costume sets.
  • So Pit and Dark Pit for example would have costumes based on the Light and Dark Fighters from multiplayer.
  • Palutena could have a costume based on the Mimicutie.
  • Pit and Palutena could have costume's based on the Centurion and Centurion Knight.
  • DK and Diddy could have costumes based off the Snowmads gear.
A lot of KI examples I know, but that's where I got started with the idea.
Why not both crossovers and regular full outfit changes, especially in the same game? A win-win situation, but with a bit of work to do if you ask me. I like the ideas that you have given.

Crossover costumes would be absolutely lucrative for Nintendo as DLC too. It'll be a missed opportunity for them not to cash in on what makes modding so popular.
As long as the costumes are not handled Street Fighter X Tekken style (being on-disc DLC for that game), I will be fine with crossover outfits as DLC. Regardless of the crossover outfits being DLC or not, I think it would be great seeing them being in the real games and not just existing in mods. Super Smash Bros. has a great opportunity with crossover outfits and I'd would love seeing them in a crossover game. It makes good sense considering it.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Why not both crossovers and regular full outfit changes, especially in the same game? A win-win situation, but with a bit of work to do if you ask me. I like the ideas that you have given.

As long as the costumes are not handled Street Fighter X Tekken style (being on-disc DLC for that game), I will be fine with crossover outfits as DLC. Regardless of the crossover outfits being DLC or not, I think it would be great seeing them being in the real games and not just existing in mods. Super Smash Bros. has a great opportunity with crossover outfits and I'd would love seeing them in a crossover game. It makes good sense considering it.
I'd be happy with either or both, but if we can only have one, I was just saying I'd prefer we get canon costumes first.

Going off your crossover costume idea, now that you've brought up SFxT, I think a set of Street Fighter costumes for handful of characters would be neat. A Dhalsim costume for Wii Fit Trainer for example. So in general a handful of costumes for each series.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I'd be happy with either or both, but if we can only have one, I was just saying I'd prefer we get canon costumes first.

Going off your crossover costume idea, now that you've brought up SFxT, I think a set of Street Fighter costumes for handful of characters would be neat. A Dhalsim costume for Wii Fit Trainer for example. So in general a handful of costumes for each series.
Gotcha, I understand what you're saying a little better. I didn't imagine the direction of crossover costumes would go there, but I don't mind at all. As long as the costumes fit the character both model and personality wise, I am cool with it. Speaking of Street Fighter, I can easily see Lucario getting Ryu's gi, already.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
You know what tends to bother me? When people ask for Spring Man and Ribbon Girl when their game hasn't actually been released yet and thus have not yet proven themselves worthy. Until that happens, I do not consider these characters viable for Smash as I believe it to be too risky of a move right now for the Smash team to consider (if they plan on even making new characters or bringing back veterans, that is). If they are planning on adding any characters, I'd say we might get 2 newcomers and 2 veterans from the port, with the newcomers being King K. Rool and Inklings while the veterans are the Ice Climbers and Wolf, respectively. To me, that seems like a fair amount of characters on both fronts, especially with the Inklings; they've proven themselves to me as worthy additions to Smash based off their successful introduction to the world, so I now support them instead of go against them.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

You know what tends to bother me? When people ask for Spring Man and Ribbon Girl when their game hasn't actually been released yet and thus have not yet proven themselves worthy.
Funny. Corrin's game wasn't released when he was announced for Smash. Why should it be different for these characters?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Funny. Corrin's game wasn't released when he was announced for Smash. Why should it be different for these characters?
Fire Emblem as a series has been around a lot longer then ARMS has (which I am guessing started development in early to mid 2016, maybe a bit earlier) and Sakurai almost always ends up going with the protagonist of the latest Fire Emblem game as is. Technically speaking, their game was out in Japan first and Corrin ended up proving to be very popular for Japanese players, hence being one of many reasons as to why they were even added in the first place (marketing to other countries was another reason as much as I dislike the decision to add them in at all).

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Funny. Corrin's game wasn't released when he was announced for Smash.
Well it was out in Japan and Fire Emblem is an established franchise that's proven itself.
ARMS is a new IP that has yet to really prove itself.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I think that Spring Man/Ribbon Girl would make for interesting additions as an Assist Trophies, but I'll need a whole lot of convincing before I'm on board for them becoming individual characters.

Same thing back when Splatoon came out. The Inklings looked cool and all, but I waited until Splatoon released and proved itself before being more accepting of the Inklings possibly coming to Smash.

You know what tends to bother me? When people ask for Spring Man and Ribbon Girl when their game hasn't actually been released yet and thus have not yet proven themselves worthy.
I don't see anything wrong with asking characters in Smash before their game releases.

I don't think characters like that should be called likely before we know how successful the game is, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom