• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I must say, this is a bit more interesting than the ESRB leak. The ESRB one had a roster, then a bunch of screenshots, then a video, and it just kept getting more and more. Yeah "Disablad," but that was someone trying to debunk the whole leak by photoshopping a typo...and it didn't really hold up to any scrutiny since the videos made it really hard to doubt.

Also the fact that none of the newbies were hugely popular, while K.Rool/Ridley were at their max popularity.

This one...we've got nothing else. There's a higher chance this one is fake since we aren't getting more info, but this was an accidental leak in the first place. It's not someone sitting there trying to leak the full thing. Also very fanservicey - even I can admit that these are hugely popuylar characters even if they aren't super nostalgic to me personally.

For me, the thing that gives this the most credibility is the story behind it. Either it's legit, or some faker with entirely too much time on thier hands 1) designed a banner with extra characters, taking into account that the existing ones need to move, 2) designed several mockups for Smash and other projects including the Grinch movie, 3) printed them on the proper materials, 4) took a blurry picture. It seems like a huge effort for the lulz, honestly.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I've already given my thoughts on the other insider opinions. They say it's fake for no incenroar, but GX does not say that's why its fake.
Mystic and Spawn-Wave says it's fake because it Lack Incineroar and Another Characters.

Seems that there is another characters in play.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Not at the moment, no.

They only started removing ESRB stuff once videos surfaced.
Ah yes and those in denial still tried to claim Nintendo just didn't want fakes going around bombarding them everywhere.

Good times, good times...

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the Bomb New Hitbox, that seems to be gigantic is a pretty good buff for Link, Alongside the bomb being "Physically" on the stages and could lead to tons of nasty set-up, What do you think about it?
Is noticeably smaller than the effect makes it to be. Around the start of the ideo you see pikachu clearly in the blue explosion radius and not getting hit.

Is bgger than smash4 tho. Is around snake C4 range I think

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Instead of talking mostly about leaks, I wish to talk about a potential suggestion that could have been more fun for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate...My idea is this:
When you unlock new characters in Ultimate, they get added to mural!

Simple isn't it? But let me explain to detail... The screen will fade to the 'EVERYONE IS HERE' mural, and the fighter is added to the picture. They could either suddenly appear, or appear as a black silouette. I think the former is more cooler, but the latter makes peoples want to keep unlocking more characters. It would be cool if at first the original fighters tried to group up, and eventually move to make room for new fighters. Some could also change their poses entirely, like Dr. Mario, etc.

Once you unlock everyone, you unlock the real EVERYONE IS HERE mural, and along with a new theme, you could unlock maybe a secret cutscene or two. The first cutscene would be about presenting everyone character in this game.

The second, normally I'd not tell but I wanna be kind so I'll tell you in spoiler...

By unlocking all characters, you may be able to unlock a teaser for the upcoming new Smash thing. Maybe a promotional for an anime, whatever, but it's up to your imagination, and this is my imagination!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Another thing to consider.

Gamexplain are arguably the closest any smash youtuber has been to Nintendo. They are friends with Bill Trinen, and some else really high up with Nintendo. I don't remember who but recently they stated how one of Nintendo's biggest developers told them at a con he loved their channel and they interviewed him. I'll have to see if I can find who.

Regardless if Nintendo is telling anyone to not cover a leak it would be GX imo.
This is all true.
Not at the moment, no.

They only started removing ESRB stuff once videos surfaced.
Actively trying to get rid of the leak just leads to it spreading faster (since it's confirmation that it has merit).

It's called the Streisand Effect.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Square Enix, does anyone else read them as "Squee" when they're abbreviated? I don't know why I keep ****ing doing it, but I love it. I really wanna start saying "Squee" instead of SE and have people get that I'm just referring to Square.
I always abbreviate Square Enix to Squeenix. It takes longer to type, but it's fun to say.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Mystic and Spawn-Wave says it's fake because it Lack Incineroar and Another Characters.

I know of this, and I do think it's worth considering. But in terms of spawn wave, everyone is assuming its sora and that he's DLC being announced at game awards, hence why he's missing.

As for mystic, I'm not sure what to think of his double character reveal trailer, as anything is possible with that.

Chrollo.

fka president wario

The last character is more than likely DLC though which is why Spawn Wave was lenient with the leak at first

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
for those saying this is too hard to fake, a reminder

some people really do have all the time in the world
I remember this!
Back when this trailer was released and it was unknown if it was real or not, I was a bit skeptical but still convinced that there was a decent chance of it being real.
The point is that, while you can assume that it's fake because it's something unrealistic, there's no way you can prove that this is fake because the gameplay footage is too good to be fake, it's perfect.
If I remember well, it was debunked after a while because there was a flaw in the scene where the luma eats the stars (I can't remember what, and honestly I can't see it now). It took a while to be debunked though.

Before people start saying "but there was a flaw, you said it yourself": we already found several flaws in the Grinch leak too.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Well, yes...But once again, you focus on JUST GameExplain, not the whole picture of like, seven insiders all lending toward fake.
Yeah I don't follow any other insiders other than GX. The reason I initially brought the topic up is because I just finished listening to their weekly discussion and I just thought it was super weird.
There's definitely a LOT going on behind the scenes. I can say without a doubt that GX knows something, but that definitely doesn't explain other people's behavior.

Interesting times for sure.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Look at this absolute unit:
View attachment 172677

Anyway, I don't see why 5-7 more characters are outlandish, especially when two are likely echoes. I know Sakurai alluded to less newcomers, but there's always the possibility that he wanted to surprise people with some more popular requests like how he surprised people with "Everyone is Here!" back at E3.

I know more characters means more needed development, but that's why you get more devs on different characters / groups of characters, as each unique one takes a year.

At least what Mystic confirmed seems to end the Box Theory if his sources are telling the truth.
What did Mystic say?

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
I think there are plenty of characters who could qualify for Smash despite not originally technically appearing in video games. I'd say Mickey Mouse is viable (not likely, but viable).
Eric ain’t going to be enjoying anything for a while.
What...what did you do to him, Yoshisaurus?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Instead of talking mostly about leaks, I wish to talk about a potential suggestion that could have been more fun for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate...My idea is this:
When you unlock new characters in Ultimate, they get added to mural!

Simple isn't it? But let me explain to detail... The screen will fade to the 'EVERYONE IS HERE' mural, and the fighter is added to the picture. They could either suddenly appear, or appear as a black silouette. I think the former is more cooler, but the latter makes peoples want to keep unlocking more characters. It would be cool if at first the original fighters tried to group up, and eventually move to make room for new fighters. Some could also change their poses entirely, like Dr. Mario, etc.

Once you unlock everyone, you unlock the real EVERYONE IS HERE mural, and along with a new theme, you could unlock maybe a secret cutscene or two. The first cutscene would be about presenting everyone character in this game.

The second, normally I'd not tell but I wanna be kind so I'll tell you in spoiler...

By unlocking all characters, you may be able to unlock a teaser for the upcoming new Smash thing. Maybe a promotional for an anime, whatever, but it's up to your imagination, and this is my imagination!
I actually suggested that the mural is in the game as a signifier of character unlock progression yesterday.

Great minds think alike, huh?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly gamexplain shooting this leak down so quickly is still honestly suspicious to me. They were joking called rumorexplain for a while because of how willing they are to jump onto rumors and leaks and they jumped onto other things like box theory and blog theory pretty quickly but are opposed to this leak almost immediately, to the point of being vitriolic about it.
This is the kind of leak that would be right up their alley but not only do they shoot it down immediately but are vehemently opposed to even discussing it. I honestly feel they do know something more than they are letting on and are not hiding it too well considering how they are acting.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I finally caught up after sleeping in from a sickness (feeling 70% better!) and I am kind of surprised this wasn't shown here.

From one of our own! It could shed some "light" on the situation with this Grinch Leak that will not die!

EDIT: Of course somethings could have changed by some of the insiders by now, but major props for the person putting all of them together.

Last edited:

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Soooo nothing new in the last 6 hours, right?

Anyway, I PLAYED ULTIMATE! I was at Warsaw Comic-Con and Smash was at Nintendo’s booth there. It was really fun. Being Honest, I just mashed buttons, even tho I’m way into the community and speculation this was the first time I actually played Smash, mainly cause it’s not that popular in Poland.
https://imgur.com/a/DdptF2G

KMDP

Smash Legend
Honestly gamexplain shooting this leak down so quickly is still honestly suspicious to me. They were joking called rumorexplain for a while because of how willing they are to jump onto rumors and leaks and they jumped onto other things like box theory and blog theory pretty quickly but are opposed to this leak almost immediately, to the point of being vitriolic about it.
This is the kind of leak that would be right up their alley but not only do they shoot it down immediately but are vehemently opposed to even discussing it. I honestly feel they do know something more than they are letting on and are not hiding it too well considering how they are acting.
Who even knows what's going on with them.
OH YEAH? WELL MY DAD IS NINTENDO!
Not an incorrect statement, considering how many of us grew up playing Nintendo games.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
If Spawn Wave is doubting it due to Geno, it raises the possibility of Sora being the Squenix rep imo.
It’s not specifically Geno, he mentioned it just seemed too wish listy with both Banjo AND Geno, not to mention his tweet about a missing character we don’t know about. The video he put out made him look more neutral than anything though.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It’s not specifically Geno, he mentioned it just seemed too wish listy with both Banjo AND Geno, not to mention his tweet about a missing character we don’t know about. The video he put out made him look more neutral than anything though.
Thank you. I wasn't aware.
So it seems more he's doubting Banjo if anything, but more doubting the two appearing together.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I missed the Fan..
View attachment 172690
Once you get caught, you will never escape.
No matter how hard you smash the SDI, it will always bring you back.
The removal of the fan is one of the most confusing things the Smash series has ever done.
I genuinely could not believe it was gone in Smash 4. It always felt just as iconic as the home run bat to me.

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
If Spawn Wave is doubting it due to Geno, it raises the possibility of Sora being the Squenix rep imo.
Wasn't there being mixed info being put out about the Square rep though? Iirc verge said it

EDIT: Nevermind someone made a better point

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I know a lot of people have been saying "how on Earth can they show a minimum of 5 new character trailers in 6 weeks" when, if you think about it, Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt didn't get theirs' until after the 3DS version came out. Hell, they could just release them on the site if they wanted to. There's no hard rule that they have to all be attached to a Direct.

Wambo

Smash Ace
The removal of the fan is one of the most confusing things the Smash series has ever done.
I genuinely could not believe it was gone in Smash 4. It always felt just as iconic as the home run bat to me.
That, and I feel like we lost a good chunk of Melee items.

Next Direct: EVERYTHING IS HERE!

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Thank you. I wasn't aware.
So it seems more he's doubting Banjo if anything, but more doubting the two appearing together.
I imagine his doubts with it being too wish listy has less to do with inside information and more so “Doesn’t this seem TOO much?” from a speculation point of view. It seems like the inside information he does have that contradicts the leak is that Incineroar and another character aren’t in the Mural.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I imagine his doubts with it being too wish listy has less to do with inside information and more so “Doesn’t this seem TOO much?” from a speculation point of view. It seems like the inside information he does have that contradicts the leak is that Incineroar and another character aren’t in the Mural.
Which is so weird to me.
It's probably Sora but...if it isn't, then who the hell could this character plausibly be?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

Makes me wonder. Why is it that supposedly Incineroar is the okay character for insiders to blatantly state, but never the other characters?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom