• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
2a186d7a4a45ecfb3f04f6dec4e70c98.png
- My absolute most wanted since Brawl. Would forever be my new main and is literally the only character I still needed after Rool and Ridley to have a perfect Smash Bros. game.

:ultridley: - To me, he was always the last necessary pick we needed, along with K. Rool. Metroid is my favorite Nintendo franchise and Smash felt incomplete with out him.

:ultkrool: - Same reason as Ridley, but slightly less necessary imo.

:ultinkling: - I adore Splatoon and the inklings are, to me, some of the best video game character designs in the past 10 years. Wanted them so badly.

:ultsimon: - As a huuuuuge gothic horror fan, I have always loved the idea of Castlevania getting representation. He's one of the few in the history of the series who I never outright wanted, but am over the moon with the inclusion afterward. He has been done perfectly. ^_^

bk copy.png
- I mean, come on, how incredible would this be... They're nostalgia-incarnate.

:ultdarksamus: - Metroid is my favorite Ninty franchise, and it always made sense.

V5Hfaph.png
- I have never played Golden sun but Isaac looks awesome. Would totally be on board.

ico_choruskids_small.png
- This is one of the few characters I'd be happy with based solely on the curiosity of how they would play.

DsztHOW.png
- Uuuuh cool i guess? More women yay!!!

:ultisabelle: - As someone who loves AC, I honestly still don't know why she is necessary. But she is adorable, so that helps.

ken_stock_small_by_zieghost-dckaqay.png
- Always preferred him over Ryu, but meh.

shadow_stock_small_by_zieghost-dckaq1g.png
- Used to be a hardcore Sonic fan, but since then I realized just how awful Shadow really is. XD

:ultchrom: - I just honestly don't know why he even needs to be in. Chrom was never interesting to me, even as an Awakening superfan.

:ultdaisy: - Would be happy if you traded her out for almost any other Echo-potential Nintendo character. XD

Last edited:

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
In a nutshell:
- Insiders: Incineroar is in!
- Grinch Leak: No way!
Basically a bunch of insiders are like "There's definitely more". Most people jump to Incineroar. Far as I know, nothing conclusive.
not particularly except insiders insisting he's still in and a lot of speculation he could be DLC or Gematsu'd.

Real talk, I don't hate incineroar, but I came to dislike what Ken and Incineroar stood for: killed hype/the box theory. I think having a heel wrestler moveset would be interesting, and although incineroar wouldn't be my first pokemon rep, I'm not very picky when it comes to pokemon reps. So for all of the incineroar fans' sakes, I hope he makes it in somehow!
So as far as I can see, nothing changed about this in the last 10 hours?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wanna know how Dr Seuss would feel if he were around to see his beloved Christmas character be involved in something of this nature.

Can you imagine? He probably never dreamt of something like this back in his day.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So looking at some of yall listing Incineroar with the Grinch leak fighters, has there been any development on him being in?
Unfortunately, no. However, it seems right to include him, to me at least, given every single insider seems to support his inclusion. And then there's Spawn Wave saying outside of Incineroar there's a "missing character" even if this leak is true. Ultimately, it's just for funsies, as nothing's confirmed or even, in my eyes, completely grounded speculation.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
So as far as I can see, nothing changed about this in the last 10 hours?

Not really. Only official word or some kind of complete Grinch debunk will get us back to incineroar being a shoo-in imo. And the Grinch's got staying power so it's just a waiting game at this point.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I wanna know how Dr Seuss would feel if he were around to see his beloved Christmas character be involved in something of this nature.

Can you imagine? He probably never dreamt of something like this back in his day.
I think he'd prefer this way more than The Cat in the Hat film.

(I loved the movie so much as a kid, especially for the dirty humor making me laugh out loud in the theater, and I will defend it as a guilty pleasure)

Pakky

Smash Hero
I could think of several reasons.

It's the least obstructive ORAS costume
It's the one that would require the least amount of work considering other costumes have jutting accessories while Libre is a skin-tight Luchador suit
It's still associated with yellow and electricity
Because it's popular, probably because of Pokken but still, it's popular irregardless.
occam's razor lends me to agree with your points I just feel uneasy about it.

It just seems super fitting.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Anyone here dressing up as any Smash characters for Halloween this year?

I'm going as Richter Belmont.

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
Hey guys, I'm new to Smash Boards. May anyone summarize points for and against the leak so far? Kind of hard to keep track with so many pages.

Calane

Smash Ace
So if the banner is true guys. How would you rank reach newcomer and your reasons for it?

Banjo-Kazooie
Chorus Kids
:ultchrom:
:ultdaisy:
:ultdarksamus:
Geno
:ultinkling:
:ultisabelle:
Incineroar (Assuming he's the "Missing character" and its true)
Isaac
Ken
:ultkrool:
Mach Rider
:ultrichter:
:ultridley:
Shadow
:ultsimon:
Isaac - I love Golden Sun.

Mach Rider - I really like seeing old Nintendo characters brought back to life in Smash.

:ultrichter:/:ultsimon:- I don't have much history with their franchise, but I'm happy to see them here.

:ultchrom:- I'm glad he finally got his day.

Shadow - I used to be a huge Shadow fan when I was a kid.

:ultdaisy:- I think Daisy gets too much hate. It almost makes me feel sorry for her.

Geno - A character from one of my favorite childhood games.

:ultisabelle: - She's adorable.

:ultinkling: - They're pretty cool.

Banjo-Kazooie - It'd be pretty cool to see this even happen. I never played the games, however.

:ultkrool:- He's cool, but I don't feel much for the character.

:ultridley:- I'm not the biggest Metroid fan.

:ultdarksamus:- Same as Ridley.

Ken - I find him to be an uninteresting addition, unfortunately.

Chorus Kids - I don't know how to feel about them. I'll have to see them in action.

Incineroar - I don't hate him, but I feel absolutely nothing for the character at all.

That's about how it'd look for me.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

He wouldn't give a crap about a videogame

Last edited:

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Slightly off-topic, but the possibility of the leak being real has made me more interested than ever to try out some of the games for these supposed new reps. Was thinking of starting with Golden Sun. Can anyone sell me on it?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Anyone here dressing up as any Smash characters for Halloween this year?

I'm going as Richter Belmont.
Where I live only kids do Halloween. If an adult went to a door dressed up asking for candy the person at door would be thinking WTF.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

I don't think he'd care that much. I mean, how bad could it possibly be?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Slightly off-topic, but the possibility of the leak being real has made me more interested than ever to try out some of the games for these supposed new reps. Was thinking of starting with Golden Sun. Can anyone sell me on it?
Fun JRPG
Beautiful spritework
GBA era pixel art animation that holds up today
Good music

All this is good and well, but you really need to play the sequel after the original, which builds on everything and conpletes the story.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't think he'd care that much. I mean, how bad could it possibly be?
The man was known for sneaking morals, personal, and political views into his work slyly.

As an artist he'd probably have some sort of views on leaking another artist's content against their will, but you know he died in 1991 before we really had the home console video game boom truly start and before there was even a means to put the work of another person out there before they wanted it to be released.

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Ive only just started playing Golden Sun myself so i can't say much, but it has some great music.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Where I live only kids do Halloween. If an adult went to a door dressed up asking for candy the person at door would be thinking WTF.
You don’t have to go trick or treating to dress up for Halloween. There are Halloween parties and junk.

Think of it as an excuse for teens and adults to cosplay.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Hey guys, I'm new to Smash Boards. May anyone summarize points for and against the leak so far? Kind of hard to keep track with so many pages.
Welcome! It's been a while since I've done a summary, and I'm biased, so here's the best I can do:

Since all of these are a mixture of arguments for real and fake, I'll just list them and let you decide rather than categorizing them:

- This leak is different than most banner leaks in that it would require recreating the background, re-positioning and re-painting veterans, creating new art that faithfully models new characters including various little details (e.g., Conductor in Chorus Kids, Isaac's vine). Various graphic design artists disagree with the defender's consensus that it's a lot of effort and say they could crack it out in a day.
- The guy's name who was leaked works at a different company than what was originally listed in their profile that's similar, but no known ties to Bandai Namco (though the new company has been silent, the original took issue mainly the fact he hadn't worked there in two years)
- Background details are inconsistent with what they appear in official artwork for the mural, some micro-details (clouds, shadows) and some macro-details (waterfalls, icebergs), (EDIT: though some things such as shadows perhaps have changed). The artwork is being used differently, however, for a panorama hanger, and there's no clear reason why these details would change.

I think those are the major ones, feel free to criticize any points if I wasn't being objective enough. I'm certain I left out some things.

EDIT: I did leave some important stuff out:

- Incineroar is not in the image, contradicting previous rumors by Verge, and many insiders claim it doesn't fit their information. Some say it's because it doesn't include Incineroar, though SpawnWave says in addition there's a character missing. Involves rumors, rather than describing the actual image and circumstances, which is why I initially left it off.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah I don't got the time to put on fake tattoos across my entire body.

That also glow in the dark.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The man was known for sneaking morals and political views into his work.

As an artist he'd probably have some sort of views on leaking another artist's content, but you know he died in 91 before we really had the video game boom truly start and before there was even means to put the work of another people out there before they wanted it.
it's a reference

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
From Best Boys to Worst Wimps:

Banjo: Loved these games back in the day. It would feel like such a big get.
Geno: Super Mario RPG was great, and this guy feels like he just belongs now that K. Rool and Ridley are here. Sakurai loves him too. Bonus!
Isaac: I'm so down for the idea of a character like this, Robin didn't really hit the mark for me with the whole magic swordsman thing. Plus the games are very nostalgic for me, and have some great music which could potentially come to Smash. Maybe him being in here would also get some sort of series reboot going (was not impressed with Dark Dawn, but I guess I'd take a sequel too)
K. Rool: DKC was like, my THING as a kid. Still one of my favorite series. Only drawback is I've never really liked heavy characters, but you know I gotta give this dude a try.
Chrom: I liked playing Roy, but I feel like the way Roy works with his anti-tipper kinda just sucks. I think a Lucina'd version of him will be MUCH better, and not to mention I love Chrom as a character way more than Roy.
Ridley: I don't really like Metroid much, nor heavy characters. But I'm really glad he's finally in because I know how much people have wanted him.
Chorus Kids: Never played Rhythm Heaven (waiting for Rhythm Hell before I really get into the series) but they certainly look like they'd be interesting. And a friend of mine wanted them big time, so bonus points.
Simon: Never really played Castlevania. But I'm savvy on my gaming history enough to know he deserves a spot here, and the music will be a fantastic addition as well.
Richter: I like his meme quote. I remember screaming it into the voice channel while the crew and I were watching the Direct. Know next to nothing about him besides it though, so whaddayagonnado.
Mach Rider: Interesting concept, but I have trouble seeing it in my mind's eye so it's hard to get that excited for. Would have to see it in Smash first to know how to feel. Bonus points if it's the hot girl version.
Inkling: Really expected character. I like Splatoon, but not that much. Glad they're here but I've just got my eye on other characters first and foremost.
Dark Samus: Not really into Metroid nor Samus. But hey, people wanted it and it's here. Good on em.
Daisy: Meh. Trying to get excited to play Peach is already laborious and Daisy won't be that different so... She's cuter at least.
Ken: Depends on how he's different. I do think he's cooler than Ryu, but I ain't even that into Ryu.
Isabelle: I love Animal Crossing and all, but... I'm honestly just not that interested. I'm glad she's not an echo at least, because I feel like Villager would be a really weird kind of character to have an echo of.
Shadow: I HATE that hedgehog!

Pakky

Smash Hero
Can I just say how sold I am on this design for Mach Rider ?

1540421540473m.jpg

So good, also calling her 'Mach' is cute... don't judge me.

Imagine if she's :ultfalcon: with a gun and big smash attacks involving her bike?

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
- Background details are inconsistent with what they appear in official artwork for the mural, some micro-details (clouds, shadows) and some macro-details (waterfalls, icebergs). The artwork is being used differently, however, for a panorama hanger, and there's no clear reason why these details would change.
It’s maybe worth adding that the shadows in the official murals have changed each time (Vaanrose even showing the shadow under Squirtle’s tail darkening for no reason) and that certain details (not all) appears different due to artifacts and compression.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
im just gonna say while im still 50/50 on it being real or not I just can't believe any of these "insiders" telling people its fake with no backing and just going trust us.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It’s maybe worth adding that the shadows in the official murals have changed each time (Vaanrose even showing the shadow und r Squirtle’s tail darkened for no reason) and that certain details (not all) appears different due to artifacts and compression.
Added the changing shadows bit. Not sure to include the artifacts/compression because some experts, like ArtsyOmni, say it wouldn't change the macro-details, but could explain some micro-details. I never considered it a good argument, and so I tried to pick the best arguments from each side, though I'm biased towards it being real so it's impossible to eliminate that bias completely.

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
Welcome! It's been a while since I've done a summary, and I'm biased, so here's the best I can do:

Since all of these are a mixture of arguments for real and fake, I'll just list them and let you decide rather than categorizing them:

- This leak is different than most banner leaks in that it would require recreating the background, re-positioning and re-painting veterans, creating new art that faithfully models new characters including various little details (e.g., Conductor in Chorus Kids, Isaac's vine). Various graphic design artists disagree with the defender's consensus that it's a lot of effort and say they could crack it out in a day.
- The guy's name who was leaked works at a different company than what was originally listed in their profile that's similar, but no known ties to Bandai Namco (though the new company has been silent, the original took issue mainly the fact he hadn't worked there in two years)
- Background details are inconsistent with what they appear in official artwork for the mural, some micro-details (clouds, shadows) and some macro-details (waterfalls, icebergs), (EDIT: though some things such as shadows perhaps have changed). The artwork is being used differently, however, for a panorama hanger, and there's no clear reason why these details would change.

I think those are the major ones, feel free to criticize any points if I wasn't being objective enough. I'm certain I left out some things.

EDIT: I did leave some important stuff out:

- Incineroar is not in the image, contradicting previous rumors by Verge, and many insiders claim it doesn't fit their information. Some say it's because it doesn't include Incineroar, though SpawnWave says in addition there's a character missing. Involves rumors, rather than describing the actual image and circumstances, which is why I initially left it off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i30hjIhBM0&t=1s

a decent summary of the initial leak, most of the updates around it are about the background an whether or not parts of it have been removed/hidden by characters or the like
Thanks for that.
I'm personally 50/50 on it. Seems like there's a lot going for and against it, with nobody being able to exactly disprove or prove it. I think a new character reveal will be all that it takes either disprove or prove the leak, and it could go 3 ways.
-First being the new revealed character isn't from the leak, disproving it.
-Second being a character from the leak, but having a completely different artwork, again disproving it.
-Third being a character from the leak, but it has the exact same artwork as the character in the leak, proving that it's legit.
Waiting for that'll be fun, it seems.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
:ultkrool: - My most wanted newcomer and he got in. Loved the Rareware Donkey Kong games and he's partly a reason for why. Fun villain that has cool toys and a out-of-there personality.

:ultridley:- Long over do...Metroid's pinnacle villain and a Smash staple despite not appearing as a fighter prior to this game.

Banjo - While I am more of a DK and Conker guy, Banjo captures the essence of both with objectively better move set potential and better music. And Banjo in Smash would feel...fitting. It's not something I expected to see after the buyout.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: - I have limited exposure to Castlevania, but their movesets and designs are appealing and the entire Castlevania segment in Smash Bros. is an amazing love letter to the series by a man who is clearly fond of it. It made me realize how much effort and love Sakurai puts into representation.

Ken - I like Kendoll. He's Ryu but with more flash. While Sakura is my favourite of the Ryu master race, Ken's a swell dude.

Isaac - I have played Golden Sun a bit. I liked it but hooking up the Wii U again feels like a waste of time nowadays....the music was fantastic and the writing was good. For the music alone I'd add him.

:ultdaisy: - I like Daisy in the Mario spin-offs...just never thought about her as a fighter in Smash. She's here now, so why not?

:ultdarksamus: - She's a character that fits the "unnecessary but so cool" tag. The use of the Phazon is not integrated properly, but still looks awesome to use.

Chorus Kids & Mach Rider - These characters will mostly be riding on their potential movesets. Both seem to have very interesting takes on a fighter and I would be interested to see how they function.

:ultisabelle: - She looks really fun to use thanks to the fishing pole and Lloid mines.

:ultinkling: - Never played Splatoon and I can tell already they won't be a character for me. They certainly have an interesting mechanic that fits their parent series, but...

:ultchrom:- Nothing against the guy, but if you have no connection to him then he's beige - he's a 4th take on the Marth move set. Even the Links are more interesting/distinguishable.

Shadow - Not fond of this character, but I can live with him in this hypothetical roster of 80 characters.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
I kinda hope Mach Rider will be a Buff Gal
EDIT: That is if they’re in, I’m still TeamFake

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom