• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The real question is, alongside Ken, are we getting in the last Direct:
  • One newcomer
  • Two newcomers (one not on box)
  • One newcomer + some sort of Mewtwo-style DLC "plan"

Chrono.

Is it possible we have the wrong Eric Brickard all together?

Have we thought of that? Because I my issues/doubts about it being the 50 year old dude and why if it's fake someone would choose to frame this random 50 plus year old man.
Cause people are big meanie butts.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
At this point, the speculation is just running around in circles. I really wish Nintendo would just announce something. The game is coming out so soon.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The misinformation campaign idea is flawed, and shouldn't even be considered in the first place in my opinion.

This has already been covered just so you know. It is a nice little detail.
Why?

We already know from verge that square made damn sure their character didn’t get the leaked( which if this is real backfired but...) by feeding multiple names to people.

Is it really a stretch that Microsoft would have done the same with banjo by using steve?

Or that Nintendo said:” hey why didn’t we think of this? Maybe the game won’t ****ing leak for the 5th entry in a row?”

Taking ideas from the practice of their partners for smash doesn’t sound that crazy to me

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
  • One newcomer
Or 6 newcomers alongside of him. But they may save 2 of them for the "other" direct.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Have we thought of that? Because I my issues/doubts about it being the 50 year old dude and why if it's fake someone would choose to frame this random 50 plus year old man.
I don't think framing him is too out there. Especially from 4chan.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616

Tbqh I have no idea why everyone jumped to assuming that this Eric guy was responsible just because his name was on a piece of paper in a print shop, nor why everyone assumed that the Grinch stuff had anything to do with it, nor why generic print shop stuff like AutoCAD commands or diagrams are significant.

It's a fake leak made in a print shop. It's not rocket surgery.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think were to that point we've exhausted every single debate we could about this leak.

Too bad it'll probably be another two weeks until we get something so until then the community will be going crazy as usual.

Pakky

Smash Hero
If the leak is real it doesn't make sense at all why Incineroar isn't there. He was probably cut if it is real.
Though it doesn't really make sense for him to be cut either.

Doesn't make sense for him to be bait when there's obvious stuff on the table like Ken, and or Shadow.

There are too many weird potholes in Inceniroar not being here.

Also... I'm still doing mental exercises to figure out how someone would think Dusk form Lycanroc is within the same caliber as BattleBond Greninja.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
  • One newcomer
I'd vote the last option, if I were a gambling man. It's the safest bet.

TheCrystalCave

Smash Cadet
If the "Grinch Leak" ends up being fake, all I ask is for the leaker to come out of hiding and give us a full-res image of that artwork. It would be very interesting to see. I mean...that's also what I'll get if the leak ends up being real, so whether it's real or fake I just want some new renders!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Every damn point is either countered or, in some very rare cases, standing

So, I'm really excited for at least a week of Pure Ownage (TM) smugposting by both sides!

D

Deleted member

At this point, the speculation is just running around in circles. I really wish Nintendo would just announce something. The game is coming out so soon.
There was someone who said that due to how insanely busy these recent months are, it kinda makes sense why Microsoft is doing something in November (IIRC) and same with Nintendo with the Directs. November really is the only month for any "big pushes" with how insane these months have been, Pokemon coming soon, Red Dead 2, Spider-Man, lots of stuff with so little time.

Honestly that alone only strengthens Spawn's claims of 2 Nintendo Directs in November.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I've stated it before, and I'll state it again: it's really not nearly as much effort as members here believe it is. Just looking at how much time I waste on this forum, if I sacrificed a small portion of it making a fake instead to be internet famous, I could. Pretty easily. I've worked with Photoshop for my job for the last six years, and I handle printing ads for our business too. I've committed hours of personal time for silly projects like printing believable inserts for my retro games in blank cases, and when I was younger, I made mix CDs for friends and created elaborate CD covers that folded out and gave the track lists in decorative ways that cater to them. Everything necessary to create this leak, for someone experienced in doing it, can be done in less than a day. All it takes is motivation and clever thinking. The Snapchat part is a good idea, actually. And the fact that he barely even tried to cover up the name means that either a) the friend who leaked it sucks, or b) he wanted to be found. Both are possibilities.

That doesn't mean it absolutely was faked-- I believe it is for other reasons-- but the argument of "why would he put so much time and effort into this?" doesn't hold up as a point for being real. Why did I put so much time into finding and cropping videos and gifs for my sig? WHy did I spend over an hour making a moveset for Daisy leading up to Smash 4, or draw pictures on Miiverse for all of three people to see? Why do I spend whole days of my free time most weeks working on my Youtube series that doesn't make any money? Why are we even hanging out here accomplishing nothing?

If he wanted to make a good fake, he wanted to make a good fake. It's more likely than you guys are giving it credit for. People just do what they want to do. This guy happened to be better than other people at it, if it turns out to be fake.
That's not what I said--I never said "Why would he put so much effort into this?" I said this is the most elaborate leak we've ever had, and it's ridiculous to reduce this to "eh, I could have done this in a day if I cared.". To believe it to be fake would be to believe some unlikely assumptions (what you noted was just some, it also includes finding information about their work place, impersonating someone, etc.). All stuff we've gone over. I never, ever said, and it gets frustrating this keeps being misinterpreted, that it would be impossible for someone to fake. Unlikely, when put into the context of everything else surrounding it.

There are far more convincing arguments for why it could be fake (e.g., changing workplaces, too many characters in one month, etc), the background nitpicks are at the very bottom of the concerns. The fact that nothing was found, after days of sleuthing, that is *conclusive* is the issue. All it takes is *one* thing he missed for everything to fall apart. Maybe it's still out there, and we missed it. But if we can't come up with anything more conclusive than we currently have, it lends *credence* to it's validity, doesn't mean it's true.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly?

I wish it was just industry standard that when things leak whether fake or not? The company comments. They either shut it down or find a new way to market their game going forward.

It's ****ty sure, but it happens so much and I suppose with certain games like fighting games in particular you'd have a director or company going ''There is no truth to that rumor." a lot.

So I get why it's not done, but as a consumer it gets frustrating to see all this happen and sometimes be obviously real and they don't comment or obviously fake/ambigious and we're left in the dark because we're in a dry period of announcements like with this one.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Though it doesn't really make sense for him to be cut either.

Doesn't make sense for him to be bait when there's obvious stuff on the table like Ken, and or Shadow.

There are too many weird potholes in Inceniroar not being here.
Maybe Lion-O was originally in the game, and when someone claimed they saw a "red haired cat person" the leakers jumped to Incineroar.

But then, Lion-O was cut because Sakurai said, "Wait no, this is stupid. Put in Geno."

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Tbqh I have no idea why everyone jumped to assuming that this Eric guy was responsible just because his name was on a piece of paper in a print shop, nor why everyone assumed that the Grinch stuff had anything to do with it, nor why generic print shop stuff like AutoCAD commands or diagrams are significant.

Sure it is.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Have we thought of that? Because I have my issues/doubts about it being the 50 year old dude and why if it's fake someone would choose to frame this random 50 plus year old man.
I mean it’s possible, but 4chan is pretty good at tracking down people with just a picture. Kind of scary actually.

They’ve caught multiple criminals that way it’s pretty crazy to read those stories

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Or 6 newcomers alongside of him. But they may save 2 of them for the "other" direct.
There is exactly one Smash Direct left.

Most Directs reveal exactly one (non-echo) character. A couple of them have done exactly two, no other exceptions.

Sakurai has been very consistent in his messaging of how many characters, stages, items, ATs, and Pokemon to expect.

Tinarg

Smash Cadet
If the leak is real it doesn't make sense at all why Incineroar isn't there. He was probably cut if it is real.
There's always the remote possibility that we're looking at some extremely early version of the banner. Are there any known instances of fighters getting added after the project plan?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That's not what I said--I never said "Why would he put so much effort into this?" I said this is the most elaborate leak we've ever had, and it's ridiculous to reduce this to "eh, I could have done this in a day if I cared.". To believe it to be fake would be to believe some unlikely assumptions (what you noted was just some, it also includes finding information about their work place, impersonating someone, etc.). All stuff we've gone over. I never, ever said, and it gets frustrating this keeps being misinterpreted, that it would be impossible for someone to fake. Unlikely, when put into the context of everything else surrounding it.

There are far more convincing arguments for why it could be fake (e.g., changing workplaces, too many characters in one month, etc), the background nitpicks are at the very bottom of the concerns. The fact that nothing was found, after days of sleuthing, that is *conclusive* is the issue. All it takes is *one* thing he missed for everything to fall apart. Maybe it's still out there, and we missed it. But if we can't come up with anything more conclusive than we currently have, it lends *credence* to it's validity, doesn't mean it's true.
Whoops, nope, you're right. I thought I was quoting the other guy who quoted my post just before you. Didn't mean to reply to yours.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
There's always the remote possibility that we're looking at some extremely early version of the banner. Are there any known instances of fighters getting added after the project plan?
The banner would've been done after. I doubt they started it until this year.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe Lion-O was originally in the game, and when someone claimed they saw a "red haired cat person" the leakers jumped to Incineroar.

But then, Lion-O was cut because Sakurai said, "Wait no, this is stupid. Put in Geno."
We lost a cat person with Infinity Stones for Geno? *sigh* Worst trade from Sakurai since he cut Goku for Ridley.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well if we believe gematsu then yes. Things like Rosalina were not in the original project plan

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

The name wasn't actually in the print shop. The way snapchat works is that it puts the name in the corner. The name itselt is on the phonescreen, not the desk.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Whoops, nope, you're right. I thought I was quoting the other guy who quoted my post just before you. Didn't mean to reply to yours.
Ah, then sorry then, if it came off more aggressive as a result--I was re-reading your reply, and was confused of how one thing followed the other, trying to wrap my head around it. It was frustrating, as I've heard that response before, and it felt like people were continually misinterpreting. Makes much more sense now :awesome:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean it’s possible, but 4chan is pretty good at tracking down people with just a picture. Kind of scary actually.

They’ve caught multiple criminals that way it’s pretty crazy to read those stories
That's my problem.

I'm not sure that this isn't just all 4-Chan. EVERYTHING about this. Almost every major step has come from them.

They could have orchestraed the whole thing. The leak, who to frame, etc.

They're insane that way.

D

Deleted member

The real reason Incineroar isn't in.

pokemon-go-halloween.png

All this time, those dozens of "leaks" months back were trying to warn us of what's to come.

All will be revealed come November 3rd.....

Gengar Day.

"But where is Gengar on the banner?"
...who's to say he isn't literally hiding in the shadows....? :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We lost a cat person with Infinity Stones for Geno? *sigh* Worst trade from Sakurai since he cut Goku for Ridley.
Sure would be nice to have the Sword of Omens right about now.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
On a side note aside from speculation and leaks:

My number one prediction before Ultimate was shown at E3 was that Lucina would be cut because she's a clone.
And my number one want at the time was that if Lucina came back, I'd want her with an entirely new moveset.

What'd we get?
She had come back (which made me so happy), but on the downside, she was still a clone and was even given a name for it (which was kinda eh, but I got used to it).

One day. Lucina as her own fighter.. Now that'd be lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom