• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
See this is what getting me.
Has Nintendo ever absolutely baited every insider like ever like this before? Is that even possible with how we are in 2018?
I'm not sure of either.
In certain situations, I'm sure I'd be considered an "insider" as well. As somebody who has worked with Nintendo and was even hired by them, I can say with absolute certainty that Nintendo wouldn't speak with these people and tell them to play it down. If anything, they'd say "DO NOT COVER THIS." not "CLAIM IT'S FAKE." In my time with Pokémon, it was always "DO NOT COVER THIS."

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I was expecting the had to do it to em guy here.

Memes have ruined me.

This would be amusing.

But would it be possible for the design to make sense with a blank spot on the other side?
My theory is that the other side has two blank spots, with the side we see looking the way it does because they wanted to continue the pattern, but also show all the newcomers that were shown off.

However, that is a stretch; even with just one blank on the other side, though, there was that box on eBay or Amazon or some-site where someone was selling it for over 1k; the back side had two rows of characters, with one spot on the bottom-left being a blank space with the Nintendo Switch icon and name instead of a character.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Noipoi Noipoi
That feel when my avatar is so heinously overdesigned it could never possibly be drawn in that artstyle, even if I were around for the anime claiming.

Memes aside, that looks fantastic, man. Your artstyle is great and the quality is top notch, you've got a legit future in that.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Actually what do you guys think about this to explain no Incenroar:

Let’s looks at this leaked newcomer list. They are god tier choices to a lot of people.

No look at Incenroar. Is he cool? Yes. Is he super popular? Eh he’s overshadowed by decidueye even though he is the face of ash’s team in the anime(or will be).

So what if the leak is missing Incenroar because he was cut last minute? We know bowser jr. Was on the chopping block in smash 4.

So what if Incenroar unfortuantely we lower priority and the team fell behind leading to him being cut?

It would make sense to keep the echos and third parties first, and the retro.

So it would come down to Incenroar and chorus kids imo. Now if you were to be Sakurai, you’d likely cut Incenroar I’d imagine. Pokémon has tons of reps do I think they would opt to keep a brand new ip to the game over a Pokémon when Pokémon is highly repped as is.

All the insiders could have just not learned that they cut Incenroar and that’s why they believe he’s in. Plus it would mean the entire banner had to be redone.

Although at the same time I wonder if hey would finalize the banner if there was a chance someone could get cut.
That's an interesting theory though I doubt a PKMN newcomer would ever be low priority.

I considered the possibility that Incineroar could have been outdated info or a foolproof measure by Nintendo.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
In certain situations, I'm sure I'd be considered an "insider" as well. As somebody who has worked with Nintendo and was even hired by them, I can say with absolute certainty that Nintendo wouldn't speak with these people and tell them to play it down. If anything, they'd say "DO NOT COVER THIS." not "CLAIM IT'S FAKE." In my time with Pokémon, it was always "DO NOT COVER THIS."
JSYK I'm on team fake is the thing, my question is just...there's such a monumental amount of effort put into this, that even though I think it's fake...I'll be a bit surprised if it's fake.
But the fact stands that so many insiders have come out against this leak. It's just so...bizarre.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The problem I have with this, with the added "whipped it up in an hour since the quality doesn't matter far away"--it would only take one mistake that would conclusively debunk it that he could have missed--in moving all the characters around, recreating the background, creating the new character images. Either he made no grievous mistake the first time, just got lucky, or had to keep doing it over and over again before it looked perfect when far away. The problem is the discrepancies are notable, but nothing definitive. To me, this being an accidental leak (not an intentional one like some on Team Real think) makes a lot more sense. Not impossible to fake, but an unlikely, elaborate scenario if so.
I've stated it before, and I'll state it again: it's really not nearly as much effort as members here believe it is. Just looking at how much time I waste on this forum, if I sacrificed a small portion of it making a fake instead to be internet famous, I could. Pretty easily. I've worked with Photoshop for my job for the last six years, and I handle printing ads for our business too. I've committed hours of personal time for silly projects like printing believable inserts for my retro games in blank cases, and when I was younger, I made mix CDs for friends and created elaborate CD covers that folded out and gave the track lists in decorative ways that cater to them. Everything necessary to create this leak, for someone experienced in doing it, can be done in less than a day. All it takes is motivation and clever thinking. The Snapchat part is a good idea, actually. And the fact that he barely even tried to cover up the name means that either a) the friend who leaked it sucks, or b) he wanted to be found. Both are possibilities.

That doesn't mean it absolutely was faked-- I believe it is for other reasons-- but the argument of "why would he put so much time and effort into this?" doesn't hold up as a point for being real. Why did I put so much time into finding and cropping videos and gifs for my sig? WHy did I spend over an hour making a moveset for Daisy leading up to Smash 4, or draw pictures on Miiverse for all of three people to see? Why do I spend whole days of my free time most weeks working on my Youtube series that doesn't make any money? Why are we even hanging out here accomplishing nothing?

If he wanted to make a good fake, he wanted to make a good fake. It's more likely than you guys are giving it credit for. People just do what they want to do. This guy happened to be better than other people at it, if it turns out to be fake.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I've been lurking for several days now to let things calm down. After speaking with friends in the industry, conferring with fellow journalists and watching a few in-depth and objective videos, I can now say I firmly doubt the legitimacy of this "leak." People in the community here in Tokyo, with whom I have spoken, also thinking this is fake. Everybody admits it would take some bit of effort to do this, as though people don't put effort into anything ever. Not here to argue my case, just to say where I stand. I would love to see these characters in the game, but let's be honest, it'd be improved with the addition of Ayumi Tachibana.
Is this a hint? Pack your bags, Ayumi is confirmed guys. It's 1000% official.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Wat? I'm just saying he posted onto 4chan while under anonymity how is that giving the guy super good planning credit it's literally what they all do
Forgive because that was worded poorly in response to your quote.

What I'm getting at is the story up to this point that has told is some guy sent a snapchat video to his friends, they screenshotted it, and it spread to 4chan from there. The explanation that he must have also leaked it 4chan to me is reminiscent of the people saying that he must have placed the grinch photos there on purpose and used the name Eric Brickard to link the leak to a company that may or may not have ties to Namco and Illumination. A lot of the explanations against the leak are just people trying to say that the leaker had everything planned out and knew what conclusions would be drawn.

On a side note, I don't think whoever the source of the image was, whether or not it is actually Eric Brickard, originally intended for the image to spread past a few people because the name Eric Brickard is right there. The common explanation I've heard is that the folks who screenshotted it attempted to cover up the name.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Don't worry guys, I made a picture of every person even remotely associated with Megaten together
Not sure whether robertman2 or Mutsukki gets to be the middle one, but I'll leave it up for them to decide.
Forget SMT x FE, give me Persona x SMT. That's what I need.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
JSYK I'm on team fake is the thing, my question is just...there's such a monumental amount of effort put into this, that even though I think it's fake...I'll be a bit surprised if it's fake.
But the fact stands that so many insiders have come out against this leak. It's just so...bizarre.
I'm on the fence and leaning fake, but I do agree. No matter the result, the truth is going to be surprising as all ****.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
We still have this guy's info:
https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1055690987341791234

granted I don't know anything about his past, I just remember it being said he's credible or something, that he's leaked stuff before.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Here's a possibility I thought of...

What if some of the things on the banner were real and some were fake? Like say for this instance this is a foolproof way to catch the leakers. By giving out something that has real info but also info that isn't real.

And if you want to get even more meta, what if some of those characters aren't actually in the game and the real banner has characters not yet shown off? i.e. Incineroar is in the game and Mach Rider isn't.

I know this sounds way out there but if everyone can give out their crackpot theories then so can I lol.
The only scenario like this that I think has a chance of being true is if the whole scene is completely fake, everything, every picture, but the leak is based on some real informations mixed with fake ones to confuse Nintendo in order to not get spotted by them.
That's the only possible option of it being somewhat true, but I still think it's unlikely because a real leaker wouldn't risk law troubles by using the name of a different person (impersonating him) and of an existing company to make a fake scene; the risk of being fired is already enough, I can't see a person being that crazy.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
The one thing the Grinch leak has really shown me is why the popularity of forums have waned over the years; the past few days I've been trying to keep up with this thread and see every post to make sure I don't miss any new interesting developments, but it has been about impossible to keep up with how ridiculously fast it moves and I'm currently over 80 pages behind, it's such a time investment to keep up with such a large volume of posts in the forum format and ensure you don't miss anything.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Let’s looks at this leaked newcomer list. They are god tier choices to a lot of people.

No look at Incenroar. Is he cool? Yes. Is he super popular? Eh he’s overshadowed by decidueye even though he is the face of ash’s team in the anime(or will be).

So what if the leak is missing Incenroar because he was cut last minute? We know bowser jr. Was on the chopping block in smash 4.

So what if Incenroar unfortuantely we lower priority and the team fell behind leading to him being cut?

So it would come down to Incenroar and chorus kids imo. Now if you were to be Sakurai, you’d likely cut Incenroar I’d imagine. Pokémon has tons of reps do I think they would opt to keep a brand new ip to the game over a Pokémon when Pokémon is highly repped as is.

All the insiders could have just not learned that they cut Incenroar and that’s why they believe he’s in. Plus it would mean the entire banner had to be redone.

Although at the same time I wonder if hey would finalize the banner if there was a chance someone could get cut.
Since pretty much all "insider sources" are saying Incineroar is in, there are only 3 options:

1) He's actually in the game
2) He was put out as leak bait
3) He was in a Gematsu-like situation, like Chrom and Chorus Kids, but was ultimately cut.

Which one is it? I don't know. Not enough evidence to draw any definitive conclusion. Only time (or a direct) will tell whether or not he's in.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hey, DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , I made a picture of us together:

Woah how'd you get a still from the anime dude? That's some high quality stuff.
Why do we even care what insiders think? No insiders or even Nintendo treehouse employees knew about Everyone is here.
Being serious, people knew about Everyone is Here because it was leaked before the E3 reveal. Vergeben and loz18 knew about it, and we know Vergeben had sources who knew because he said no cuts and Ice Climbers (technically wrong, but it likely a misinterpretation by either him or his source).

We care about what insiders think because they have proven track records for knowing insider information. It's almost like it's in their name or something.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Why do we even care what insiders think? No insiders or even Nintendo treehouse employees knew about Everyone is here.
This is not true.

At least for the insider part. Multiple insiders claimed snake ice climbers wolf, were al back as well as Ridley and Simon before E3. Some also had access to the E3 booth and learned everyone was here.
That's an interesting theory though I doubt a PKMN newcomer would ever be low priority.

I considered the possibility that Incineroar could have been outdated info or a foolproof measure by Nintendo.
I don’t know they cut ****ing mewtwo from melee so he was lower priority.

And mewtwo is arguablely one of the top five mascots for Pokémon. So if he can get cut, I don’t see why cutting a starter with lesser popularity is out of the question. Especially when dlc could just add a gen 8 Pokemon and be a better addition.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
On a side note, I don't think whoever the source of the image was, whether or not it is actually Eric Brickard, originally intended for the image to spread past a few people because the name Eric Brickard is right there. The common explanation I've heard is that the folks who screenshotted it attempted to cover up the name.
This is the issue I have trouble with, honestly. Anyone who spends time on 4chan is going to know how they think and what will get their attention and a partially covered name will do just that. It would have been far easier to crop the name out rather than lazily put some black over it. The uploader showed basic cropping skills, so it wouldn't have been difficult.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I could see Incineroar being originally planned for the game but then cut in favour of finishing the other characters as gen 7 would be wrapping up and almost over when this game releases.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And as for a Pokémon this game? If there’s no Incenroar I’m betting Melmetal will be DLC and I’ll be hyped as hell

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Alright! It's finally done!

Unfortunately I couldn't get each and everyone of you in this picture. I just randomly picked a bunch of users to draw. I wish I could make more fit.
However, the castle in the background is supposed to represent the board itself with everyone in it. So technically I did get everyone in this picture!

And now, without further ado, I give you...

drumroll...

THE SMASHBOARDS ANIME POSTER!!!
(it looks nothing like actual anime but I tried my best okay?).

The users in this image are Yours truly, Luigi The President Luigi The President , Zinith Zinith , @ToasterBrains , @Opossum , @lightdrago , @Mr. Wario , @Smashing Ramen , @Idon , @TotsBS , @Raspberry , @Tougon , @Zachmac , papagenos papagenos , and @Pazzo. . I really wanted to get more users in this but hey, what can you do?
Lucky for me, I'm nowhere to be found. Looks great!

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

No. The Pokemon Company is too high profile for Sakurai to cut one of their characters. Incineroar may not be popular, but Pokemon sure is.
Man, it's almost as if the misinformation campaign idea isn't plausible.
1497720590789.gif

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I really think misinformation was thrown out by Nintendo or Incenroar was cut. They make the most sense if the leaks real

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Mystic's claim-that characters (character/S/ being the key there) in the leak are in, but not all of them-fascinates me.
As does the "two characters will share a trailer" claim.

Hm.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I really think misinformation was thrown out by Nintendo or Incenroar was cut. They make the most sense if the leaks real
The misinformation campaign idea is flawed, and shouldn't even be considered in the first place in my opinion.
This might've been posted here already, but I thought this was really interesting, since I saw an argument that the characters in the leak aren't interacting with the rest of the cast:

https://twitter.com/ngamethecube/status/1055922146147352576?s=21
This has already been covered just so you know. It is a nice little detail.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Okay I'm gonna go all in on another one of my opinions.

I believe if Grinch leak is fake, we're still going to get more than Kencineroar.

D

Deleted member

Mystic's claim-that characters (character/S/ being the key there) in the leak are in, but not all of them-fascinates me.
As does the "two characters will share a trailer" claim.

Hm.
I'm telling you all, Mickey Mouse 'boutta THROW. HANDS.

Where were y'all when Goofy showed up at an EVO Ultimate Grand Final?

Tinarg

Smash Cadet
I've been following this thread as a guest since Ultimate was announced back at E3. I thought I'd finally make an account so I could join in on the discussion.

I'm not sure how I take this leak. Just about all the evidence that supports it can be reworked against it and vise-versa. Really the only irrefutable points we have are that this guy exists and the company he represents works in advertising. A direct can't come soon enough.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552

At this point I don't care if it is real or fake, the ****posting during this period of speculation has far surpassed that of Sm4sh
hey dat me!

I made this but wtf that steve

Thanks for liking my poor photoshop! Makes me happy!

Here's my original:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I've been following this thread as a guest since Ultimate was announced back at E3. I thought I'd finally make an account so I could join in on the discussion.

I'm not sure how I take this leak. Just about all the evidence that supports it can be reworked against it and vise-versa. Really the only irrefutable points we have are that this guy exists and the company he represents works in advertising. A direct can't come soon enough.
Hmm, there are a lot of new accounts popping up because of this leak...

Anyways, WELCOME!!! :yoshi:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Is it possible we have the wrong Eric Brickard all together?

Have we thought of that? Because I have my issues/doubts about it being the 50 year old dude and why if it's fake someone would choose to frame this random 50 plus year old man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom