• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesehead302

Smash Rookie
All this over analyzation of the banner is gonna look really stupid if the leak turns out real. Just gonna drop that right now.
Here's my thing about this and why I am largely still Team Neutral: like you said, previously, inconsistencies in leaks that turn out real obviously mean nothing, like the big Smash 4 leak back in the day everyone thought was fake. On the other hand, the quality of fake leaks have improved immensely since the days of Smash 4, and it can be beneficial to point out graphical issues in this leak, or it's not useful. That's the problem. Small mishaps could either be telling to the leaks legitimacy or to its illegitimacy, it just depends.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'm ready to embrace my future as a fruit.

On-topic:

My point wasn't that the "leaker" couldn't have done that, it was to counter vaanrose's argument that it could be done quickly when in fact it's not easy to do at all.
It was done quickly by the very guy trying to say it can't be done.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Imagine it being fake though. Not the fact that he did all that work, but he chose the goddamn Grinch to add to it.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Anybody who thinks the current comparisons are anything approaching Shulk is Little Mac territory simply does not understand how incredibly easy cutting out and moving characters is and how incredibly difficult completely changing one character into another is.
Also, we can't forget this is a blurry, zoomed-out image, which could hide potential mistakes. yeah, we're nowhere near Shulk is Little Mac territory.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I can't shake off the feeling that history is repeating itself; the ESRB leak had a similar situation where many pointed out errors and yet it turned out to be real.

The claims being made against it are also nearly the same funnily enough.

When everything is said and done though, I'm pretty much just here for the ride now.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
All this over analyzation of the banner is gonna look really stupid if the leak turns out real. Just gonna drop that right now.
I disagree. Some people are pessimists on most leaks (me being one of them except for this particular one), and this one is no exception for most of them. In fact, I imagine this is the one that they want to give the most scrutiny because it essentially gift wraps an alarming number of highly wishlisted characters. So, not wanting to look or feel like fools just because there's so many "confirms," they choose to ground themselves in reality and find evidence in order to not be disappointed.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The thing about the “too detailed/too much effort to be fake” argument is that, despite all the effort that went into the thing, there’s still problems. Problems that have no reason to exist on an official Nintendo promotional item.
That’s enough of a counter argument for me.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I missed the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared talk? :(

For real though; however heated disagreement might get here, at least its better than /v/ where we'd be spamming crying wojaks at each other.

Also Halloween Smash direct please Sakurai: if the Grinch stuff is fake, then we need one holiday to BTFO the other.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So I log onto SmashBoards, and I immediately notice that we've devolved into talking about whether or not it's acceptable to eat the Grinch.

...Moving on from that, anything I missed while I was gone?

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
If this ends up being fake I think it'd be hilarious that he put all this effort into discovering an obscure French company, found connections with The Grinch and made all these great renders... but didn't find out that there was a blank battlefield.

In a way it makes it somewhat more believable to me. I mean if this guy's gonna put so much research into this he'd have to try to find any blank battlefields.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Are we going to have a sequel of the arrival of the Grinch if we get another game? I swear, if this ever comes back somehow.

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
This is off-topic as hell, but I would personally consider eating a talking, sapient being to be basically cannibalism. Doesn’t really matter what they look like on the outside; that dude is a walking, talking person.

Don’t ever speak about The Grinch like that again.
You're right. Silly me. Grilling the grinch. You gotta deep fry that bad boy.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm of the opinion that it's either Grinch or Box for the base roster, with no other options. Either Ken+Incineroar, or Ken+Chorus Kids+Shadow+Mach Rider+Isaac+Geno+Banjo.

One of the two is gonna be right.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Oh no, ethics

But you eat chickens, I imagine, right? Yet chickens have been proven to feel boredom, frustration, hunger, pain, fear, and happiness. They even feel stress, becoming paranoid after predator attacks and visible discomforted by unnatural temperatures. And, perhaps most importantly, they feel empathy. They're also just very, very cute with lots of personality. They may not be able to verbally communicate with humans, but they're certainly intelligent creatures.

But yet, you would not eat the Grinch
difference being chickens are delicious while the grinch looks like he'd taste like sweaty grass
not gonna argue the ethics of eating animals on a flippin' video game board tho

atm i'm kinda more interested in that mystery sprout item than the leak, even if it's not golden sun and just something original it's something new and officially in the game whereas the leak discussion is just gonna keep going in circles until we get another character confirmation in however many weeks that takes

D

Deleted member

So what’s the general consensus on the grinch leak as of now?
It's fake/real

Jokes aside nobody knows
The paper trail seems credible... wait no it's not but it might be
The banner has inconsistencies!!!... but there are things that make total sense as well
It's possible to fake it fairly easily with the right tools... but the leaker had to be playing 99D chess with the grinch stuff, the armband, the mural itself with Isaac using growth
Not to mention the new leaked sprout item...
At this point it's time to just wait for a direct. Until then, just enjoy the ride

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Man, this thread is rocketing by lately. It’ll be interesting to see Nintendo's response.

I’d laugh my *** off if Sakurai saw this, and then immediately threw in a low effort echo and released them. Just so we could all go “oop, dead. He’s bot in the leak!” Heck, Alph already has a model in game...

Gotta say though, I feel bad for the Bara Tiger fans. It sucks to get your favorite ‘leaked’ and then realize they’re out...see thr Chorus Kid and Chrom fans last round. I was starting to come around too...

Oh well. I hope even with such massive fanservice in base that we’ll still have extensive DLC. I got characters I’m really happy about and sone I’ll barely play, but I’d be super happy if some of my pipe dreams were in the cards for later. And besides, I can’t see them topping this game anytime soon, so keep the fun coming! I’d take a few years worth of DLC support and characters over a tear down reboot even 10 years from now.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I missed the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared talk? :(

For real though; however heated disagreement might get here, at least its better than /v/ where we'd be spamming crying wojaks at each other.

Also Halloween Smash direct please Sakurai: if the Grinch stuff is fake, then we need one holiday to BTFO the other.
It's okay, to muck talking makes your teeth go gray!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
why does everyone insist on arguing over something that cannot be proved.

team real, you will never find any damning evidence that proves it real.

team fake, you will never find any damning evidence that proves it fake.

you know why? because nintendo is the only source that can confirm or debunk the rumor. i'm not saying you can't take sides in the argument, but nobody should have the end goal of proving/debunking the leak because it is impossible as much as some would like to believe its possible.

ekc

Smash Cadet
I think the best consensus is that there is no consensus. We go in circles, and for every pro leak thing we find a potential counter. It's the never ending debate.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
So, I do have a question at this point:

Say it's fake. I think it's pretty unanimous that a ton of time, research, and effort went into this, such as custom-made assets, obscure lore-based additions to those assets, insane levels of detail (Banjo's birb reacting to Snake, for example), tying a movie promotion to it, and tying some poor, random, otherwise un-notable dude who could plausibly have an interaction with Smash Ultimate and that random-ass promotion.

Everything could have been researched and determined beforehand:

• An event, that Nintendo is attending, having the Grinch movie as a sponsor
  • An employee that was working on promotional material for said movie
  • Same employee having a reasonable interaction with Smash via their job/role in the company of aforementioned movie
  • A random 4chan speculation post
  • Lore and character specifics, such as personality (again, in the case of Banjo's bird)
  • General movement patterns for characters in the banner, some that are so minor that I doubt anyone not working on the banner itself, to the level we've seen, would notice. (I certainly didn't)
  • A ton of minor other developments that are slipping my mind after this whole circus and after my view of real vs fake has shifted back and forth

Now, the ability to do all of that is legitimately possible. If you list out a ton of random things, all tied together, you can make anything sound like a situation where you'd be force to say, "You did all of THAT just for a payoff that will only last a few weeks?" 100% possible. If I listed off the process for modding Skyrim in the same style and list format, you'd definitely say, "Dude, WTF" when I told you I played that build for a week then stopped.

So, after all that, you're telling me the dude (or dudes), that put in a ****-ton of work and effort to include details so obscure that they are unquestionably going to be memed about for the next decade, failed to do the research necessary to find a clean version of Battlefield? One that took us, what, 2 days to find?

That is one of the only few things keeping me the real side. Ya, everyone makes mistakes, but it'll be hard to convince me that something as fundamental as finding and using a reference, again one that we ourselves found very quickly after the leak came up, was that mistake.

But the whole changes in the background deal still has merit, too, and I don't have the tools, nor time necessary to replicate the process that would of lead to its creation in the first place (print, snapchat record with an unknown device, screenshot with an unknown device, upload to discord). So I'm torn.

Really, I'm waiting for the direct to confirm or deny the leak. This stuff is just fun to think about/read about during down time at work. The point of a good, "oops, didn't mean to have this get out!" sort of leak is to have just enough "proof" to cause discussion, backed up with a good back story and a few good events to solidify it. This whole thing fits that bill perfectly.

Just my thoughts. I should get back to the thing I'm payed for, though. Lol

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
When it comes to ESRB leak comparisons, the biggest factor that is most often overlooked IMO is that it wasn't just the roster that was leaked. Most fake leaks don't bother with content beyond the roster because that's what people care about.
  • The stage roster.
  • The amount of trophies.
  • How the menus looked.
  • Classic Mode's difficulty slider.
  • The victory screen.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Godamn, another coincidence.

Either is PURE luck, a super farfetchd fake or everything makes sense.

Attachments

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
why does everyone insist on arguing over something that cannot be proved.

team real, you will never find any damning evidence that proves it real.

team fake, you will never find any damning evidence that proves it fake.

you know why? because nintendo is the only source that can confirm or debunk the rumor. i'm not saying you can't take sides in the argument, but nobody should have the end goal of proving/debunking the leak because it is impossible as much as some would like to believe its possible.
Which is why I'm team Zinith. I say at this point we just (try to) keep calm and wait 'til November 8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom