• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminario

Smash Lord
If you guys were to pick an assist trophy to become a playable character, which one(s) would you choose for the Switch version?
Ashley and Isabelle are super popular and have lots to work with so I can see them being easily promoted. I wouldn't mind Lyn but I feel there are more unique FE choices. I'd at least like Isaac to return as an AT if he's not playable, but he's got quite a bit to work with to be a fully fledged fighter.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If you guys were to pick an assist trophy to become a playable character, which one(s) would you choose for the Switch version?
Midna (or Ghirahim, or Skull Kid), Takamaru, Waluigi, and Saki stick out for me.

If we include former assist trophies, then Isaac and Ray as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Takamaru, Waluigi, Samurai Goroh, Saki, Starfy, Dark Samus, Tingle, and Midna.

In addition to Isaac, Ray, and Excitebiker if we can count them.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Isaac, Starfy, Takamaru, and Tingle are my top choices for Assist Trophy promoted to Playable Character. :4littlemac:

Meowth is definitely my top choice for Pokeball Pokemon promoted to Playable Character. :4charizard:

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I guess I'm the only one who will bring up Barbara the Bat....

Though I would be alright with Waaaa, Starfy, Saki, Lyn, Taka, Goroh, Midna, Ghirahim, Dark Samus, and Sheriff.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What if SSB5 has a new item called Assist Amiibo? It's like Assist Trophy but it summons playable characters who are not part of the match.

Example: Mario vs Link battle. Assist Amiibo would summon a random playable character like Kirby or Pikachu or anyone but Mario and Link. It's like a "what if" item... what if Mario was an Assist Trophy? How would Mario be like if he was an Assist Trophy?

That would really screw with the Smash speculation as people would see a new Assist Trophy and be in denial and claim they are actually Assist Amiibo. :troll:

Basty

Smash Ace
Isaac, Starfy, Lyn, Ghirahim, Takamaru, Skull Kid, Saki, Excitebiker, Isaac, Waluigi, Ray, Dark Samus, Jeff and Dr Kawashima!

I want a few Assist Trophies as characters...

Edit: and Prince Sable

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
The real question is: Which AT characters would I NOT want upgraded to being playable? Well, I guess a couple maybe (Color TV-Game 15; not a character, but yeah), but there are so many good ones from both the past and present...

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Among the current cast of Assist Trophies I could see the likes of Ashley and Takamaru receiving a playable promotion.
The former for her continuous appearances outside of WarioWare and general popularity. Takamaru is just a bit more well known now, which could help push the idea to finally add him.

I'd love to see Dillon or Waluigi make the jump too, but I'm not holding my breath.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I really, really want Wario to have a Wario Land moveset. I'd do anything for that.

The way I'm picturing it, he'd be considerably larger,, making him a super heavyweight like Dedede/DK/Bowser. The way I'd explain it is that he ate a garlic bulb powerup from WL1 and grew to his bigger size.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I really, really want Wario to have a Wario Land moveset. I'd do anything for that.

The way I'm picturing it, he'd be considerably larger,, making him a super heavyweight like Dedede/DK/Bowser. The way I'd explain it is that he ate a garlic bulb powerup from WL1 and grew to his bigger size.
As much as I like Wario Land, the much larger Wario would seem more like a Super Mario Land call back imo. I don't think it'd fit when his current size already matches what it's supposed to be.

Plus the Garlic Bottle doesn't actually make him bigger. (I mean it does, but it only restores him to normal size if he's Tiny Wario, otherwise it just gives him the stronger tackle and ground pound.) The artwork just depicts his arms getting extra beefy for emphasis on the increased strength. His actual size stays the same.

I get shrinking Bowser, or increasing Olimar's size, but it's not really needed for characters like Wario who are already at the right size/proportions that they need to be.

It's doubtful they'd ever move away from the Wario Ware moveset, but I'd at least take customs that actually give him abilities from Wario Land instead of adjusted variants of what he's already got like most customs in the game. It still feels weird that Mega Man and Palutena alone are the only ones with actual different customs. And Mega Man still has some variants like the Plant Barrier.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I feel like the best way to handle Wario is do what the Project M dev team did, keep his moveset mostly the same but also give him his shoulder bash + ground pound and he suddenly feels a lot more faithful to his role in Wario Land.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I feel like the best way to handle Wario is do what the Project M dev team did, keep his moveset mostly the same but also give him his shoulder bash + ground pound and he suddenly feels a lot more faithful to his role in Wario Land.
I'd rather they replace his dash attack with the charge. Make it a strong attack with armor but a bit of end lag so that it replicates the feel of the shoulder charge. And I still think the ground pound could be used as a custom. Wario Waft's animation already mimics the position for a GP, so they could just have him plummet down instead of using the waft. They could possibly swap his D-Tilt out for his short roll attack, but his current one is a good spacing tool, so I kind of want to keep it.

To me at least, Wario is another Ganondorf sort of case. As much as I want some Wario Land representation I'm still very fond of the way he currently plays. Though I'm a bit more reluctant to change Wario than I am with Ganondorf, with him being a semi-clone of Falcon and all.

I would be perfectly fine with having his throws changed though. I know it'd take away from DK being the only one with his cargo throw, but I really wish you could walk around after you grabbed an opponent like you can in the WL games. Similarly, I'd like his F-Throw changed to match that of WL, and maybe his U-Throw could be taken from Shake It! He could shake the opponent and toss them up at the end of the animation. It could also work as new pummel as most usually suggest, I just happen to like his current one. It just fits.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Assist Trophies I'd love to see as playable characters:

Ashley, Takamaru, Waluigi, Dark Samus, Isabelle, Prince Sable, and Tingle.

Basty

Smash Ace
On the topic of Wario Land Wario

I'd rather have shoulder bash his f-smash again, the smash 4 one is just so... unoriginal!

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Do you think this would be a good size for him?
God his head is huge.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I feel like his bike is just as iconic for Wario as his shoulder bash at this point. If he needs his shoulder bash, they should do like what they did for DK and his iconic roll and make it his new dash attack. It feels like it should be there more imo.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of Ashley, Nintendo Badge Arcade does offer a large amount of Ashley badges. That probably helps with her popularity, but the irony of the story is that Smash 3DS / Wii U came before Nintendo Badge Arcade.

Level UP

Smash Rookie
I have a feeling the first Smash game we'll see on the switch will be like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. So Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch with all DLC, and Possibly 2 new characters Like the Inklings from Splatoon and maybe another character.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Same applies to Isabelle, she has a ton of badges
Isabelle, Ashley and Nikki seem to form some sort of Badge Arcade idol trio. They seem to be the only 3 characters who are popular enough for get into a ton of custom crossover badges.
I'd also say each one of them could have very unique movesets too. Move over Inklings, these 3 girls are the TRUE shoe-ins of Smash Switch :awesome:.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Isaac and Excitebiker are the main two assist trophies I'd want to see promoted. I feel like most of the other assist trophies fit their role as an assist trophy. Riki is another character I'd like to see playable, but I don't know how likely it would be to see a second Xenoblade Chronicles character on the roster. (I mean from the first game specifically, not the franchise) My guess is that we'll either see an X character (though I'm not sure who) or a Xenoblade 2 character if Smash comes out after it does.

I guess some other assist trophies I wouldn't mind seeing playable would be Takamaru, Ray, Dillon, Saki and Starfy.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Do you think this would be a good size for him?
God his head is huge.
Yeah I'd say that's about the right size.

The main reason I want his moves retooled is because I feel this just isn't the Wario that I grew up with. He's not the same character that went on epic treasure hunting adventures. He's been changed into a farting clown to try and get a chuckle out of the younger generation instead of the cool anti-hero he used to be. They made him into the Dan Hibiki of Smash which I absolutely hate.

I wrote up a new moveset for him based on Wario Land a while ago, maybe I'll post it when I find it later.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I always thought that the Wario series should get a second rep and that would be "Overalls Wario"... the Wario from the Wario Land games... with moves from Wario Land games. That was the main reason why I supported Wario for SSB2 and SSB3... not the Wario from the WarioWare games.

So... yeah... :4wario: can keep his SSB4 moveset (I'm sure that moveset has its fans) while :4wario2: is no longer an alternate costume and is a separate character who is not a clone (:4zss: is not a clone of :4samus: even though they are the same person... same idea applies here).

SouthMingo

Smash Rookie
I would have to say Midna (w/ Dark Link), Takamaru, Dark Samous, Chrom, Isaac, Cross(?), Inklings, Ashley, Toad, Starfy.

While I do want Wario Land to get more representation in Smash, I feel adding Wario with Wario Land-based moveset as a separate character would be going too far. I think adding moves like Shoulder Bash and shaking to Wario's moveset would be enough.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Why do people believe that Lucina is the most likely FE character to be cut for Smash 5 when she is one of the most popular, iconic and heavily promoted Fire Emblem to this day?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah I'd say that's about the right size.

The main reason I want his moves retooled is because I feel this just isn't the Wario that I grew up with. He's not the same character that went on epic treasure hunting adventures. He's been changed into a farting clown to try and get a chuckle out of the younger generation instead of the cool anti-hero he used to be. They made him into the Dan Hibiki of Smash which I absolutely hate.

I wrote up a new moveset for him based on Wario Land a while ago, maybe I'll post it when I find it later.
This Source Gaming article may clear things up. In short, Japanese Wario is quite a bit different from the localized/NoA Wario.

D

Deleted member

Why do people believe that Lucina is the most likely FE character to be cut for Smash 5 when she is one of the most popular, iconic and heavily promoted Fire Emblem to this day?
Simply because she was added as a last-minute clone and was more similar to Marth than Roy ever was, which is believed to make her the lowest priority out of all the Fire Emblem characters.

Just like how Falco got cut and Wolf stayed due to the latter being less of a Fox clone, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Simply because she was added as a last-minute clone and was more similar to Marth than Roy ever was, which is believed to make her the lowest priority out of all the Fire Emblem characters.

Just like how Falco got cut and Wolf stayed due to the latter being less of Fox clone, right?
At least the mentality that "less unique=more likely to be cut" had some validity for pre-Smash 4 speculation given that all the characters cut from Brawl except Mewtwo were clones. Given that all the characters cut from Smash 4 weren't even clones, that mentality doesn't work anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom