• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an idea I would like to see that I keep bringing up on the boards. I like the idea of expanding the "Vault" into a full blown museum experience similar to how the Namco Museum PS1 games did this. We have seen museum-like presentation in Smash for Wii U, so why not expand on it.

Here's a video that could help explain this a little better. This vid starts Namco Museum: Vol 3's museum mode at 2:44.

Build up on this concept (even better if Bandai Namco develops the next Smash game) and I think it would be great if you not in a match. I also like a quick option for this idea as a "get on with it" option. You can buy costumes, accessories, get better masterpieces, talk to the franchises NPC's like Toads in Mario themed "halls" or maybe a Goron or a Zora in a Zelda "hall" as you play as a Mii.

For example, a 1st floor of Peach's Castle from Super Mario 64 can be a good "hall" for the whole Mario franchise. It will actually feel like you're there.
This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the namco stuff during the smash direct today haha.

Still want it a lot

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
So guys; now that we know the remaining Smash amiibo are going to be released on July 21st in addition to Cloud and Bayonetta getting their alternative variants as amiibo (which I question, but won't argue about any further), what are the chances we might see something Smash related at E3? To me, it seems off that they would release them on July 21st, as if they were to show off veterans or newcomers for a theoretical port or new game, it would really seem off if they were to receive amiibo based off the timing of the other amiibo's release date. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see no correlation between Smash news at E3 and the amiibo release date.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think what Yellowlord Yellowlord is getting at is that maybe Nintendo might announce Smash 4 Switch at E3, about a month before the amiibo release date.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I think what Yellowlord Yellowlord is getting at is that maybe Nintendo might announce Smash 4 Switch at E3, about a month before the amiibo release date.
Yeah, that's what I am attempting to get at; my main concern is regarding if the amiibo might get in the way of a release for the theoretical port. I could be very wrong on that, but that's just me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Yeah, that's what I am attempting to get at; my main concern is regarding if the amiibo might get in the way of a release for the theoretical port. I could be very wrong on that, but that's just me.
One thing I noticed is it says Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS so it is either:

1. There's no Smash 4 Switch. The amiibos are actually for Smash 4 Wii U / 3DS.
or
2. They are using Smash 4 Wii U / 3DS to keep Smash 4 Switch a secret. The amiibos actually work on Wii U / 3DS / Switch.

Personally I'm hoping for the latter. I really want 3DS stages and Smash Run on the big screen. I really want Wii U stages on the go.

And I would be amazed if Smash 4 Switch can connect with Smash 4 Wii U / 3DS.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So guys; now that we know the remaining Smash amiibo are going to be released on July 21st in addition to Cloud and Bayonetta getting their alternative variants as amiibo (which I question, but won't argue about any further), what are the chances we might see something Smash related at E3? To me, it seems off that they would release them on July 21st, as if they were to show off veterans or newcomers for a theoretical port or new game, it would really seem off if they were to receive amiibo based off the timing of the other amiibo's release date. What do you guys think?
Honestly, I don't think this wave's release date has to do with anything. We haven't had amiibo releases correspond with anything before other than game release dates, and so we've no reason to believe that's suddenly changing now. This doesn't affect the chances of Smash news at E3, but it does raise the question of whether we could see another wave around the holidays or so.

One thing I noticed is it says Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS so it is either:

or
2. They are using Smash 4 Wii U / 3DS to keep Smash 4 Switch a secret. The amiibos actually work on Wii U / 3DS / Switch.
Well, why would they have them listed as working for a game that hasn't even been announced yet? Roy wasn't ever listed as working for Echoes until he was revealed to be compatible with it.

Though I'd temper your expectations of assuming it'll add in everything the 3DS version had...

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター

or

Personally I'm hoping for the latter. I really want 3DS stages and Smash Run on the big screen. I really want Wii U stages on the go.

And I would be amazed if Smash 4 Switch can connect with Smash 4 Wii U / 3DS.
1. I doubt this is the case at all; why would they advertise a game that is essentially now on a slowly fading away console in a Nintendo Switch themed presentation? It would be best for them to move on at this point and port it over to the Switch as demand and sales for the console rises.

2. I think this is the more likely case, honestly (if that was even the intention).

In general, I still have hope in regards to Smash being shown off in some capacity at E3.

Honestly, I don't think this wave's release date has to do with anything. We haven't had amiibo releases correspond with anything before other than game release dates, and so we've no reason to believe that's suddenly changing now. This doesn't affect the chances of Smash news at E3, but it does raise the question of whether we could see another wave around the holidays or so.

Well, why would they have them listed as working for a game that hasn't even been announced yet? Roy wasn't ever listed as working for Echoes until he was revealed to be compatible with it.
I want to hope that these amiibo are not related to any future DLC waves for characters and that we will receive more characters in the future.

As for your other point, I do know that Illusory Female Corrin was found out in the data for Echoes, although is it really tied to the Female Corrin amiibo when it won't be out until July 21st? Only guess is that it will be DLC.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
People are already screaming "SMASH 4 PORT CONFIRMED GUYS"...due to the amiibo.

My guess is that there won't be a port and that we'd get a proper Smash 5 for Switch later this year or early next year. Collectors and die-hard fans would get the amiibo regardless. Development would've started as soon as they got the Switch dev kits a couple of years ago.

As for unexpected Direct stuff, definitely Fate/Extella. I'll get it.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
People are already screaming "SMASH 4 PORT CONFIRMED GUYS"...due to the amiibo.

My guess is that there won't be a port and that we'd get a proper Smash 5 for Switch later this year or early next year. Collectors and die-hard fans would get the amiibo regardless.

As for unexpected Direct stuff, definitely Fate/Extella. I'll get it.
Eh... to be honest, Smash 4 is perfect as is style wise; why change that further with Smash 5? I would say having a port of the game will additional content over the months and years would be a good idea.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
The idea of a port seems a little too beneath for Sakurai and the way he works with games. It's too much of "an easy way out". I could see a proper Smash 5 with Smash 4 as a base with its development having started as soon as they got the Switch development kits a couple of years ago. I wouldn't call Smash 4 "perfect"...no game is and no game should ever attempt to become that.

Smash 4 will be 3 years old in November. Taking the Switch name into account, I could see a Smash 5 really "switching" things up.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Reposting this from the NintenZone, but I recently thought up something crazy:

Hey guys; here's a crazy theory for you regarding the amiibo. What if the 4 Smash amiibo on the CPSIA website are actually pertaining to new characters and the other amiibo have seperate CPSIA entries (which includes the alternate costumes of Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta) that are currently remaining unseen? Just a theory I thought of that is entirely based off a comment I saw recently regarding this on a YouTube video covering the amiibo announcement. As we know right now, we only have 4 CPSIA entries and I am uncertain if the alternate costumes of AC Cloud and Bayo 1 are going to get separate amiibo entries as is, so...

I never actually thought about this until I saw that comment, but it's an interesting perspective.

Just remember; this is just another crazy theory I came up with; I doubt it will actually be true, but its something to imagine. :p

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Reposting this from the NintenZone, but I recently thought up something crazy:

Hey guys; here's a crazy theory for you regarding the amiibo. What if the 4 Smash amiibo on the CPSIA website are actually pertaining to new characters and the other amiibo have seperate CPSIA entries (which includes the alternate costumes of Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta) that are currently remaining unseen? Just a theory I thought of that is entirely based off a comment I saw recently regarding this on a YouTube video covering the amiibo announcement. As we know right now, we only have 4 CPSIA entries and I am uncertain if the alternate costumes of AC Cloud and Bayo 1 are going to get separate amiibo entries as is, so...

I never actually thought about this until I saw that comment, but it's an interesting perspective.

Just remember; this is just another crazy theory I came up with; I doubt it will actually be true, but its something to imagine. :p
What of the Pikmin/Splatoon/Zelda amiibos? Couldn't they fit into those CPSIA entries?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
What of the Pikmin/Splatoon/Zelda amiibos? Couldn't they fit into those CPSIA entries?
These 4 CPSIA entries are specifically labeled for the Smash series, so the answer to that question would be no. I imagine those other amiibo entries for Pikmin/Splatoon/Zelda will show up later on, but will not be tied to Smash in any shape or form.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

1. I doubt this is the case at all; why would they advertise a game that is essentially now on a slowly fading away console in a Nintendo Switch themed presentation? It would be best for them to move on at this point and port it over to the Switch as demand and sales for the console rises.

2. I think this is the more likely case, honestly (if that was even the intention).

In general, I still have hope in regards to Smash being shown off in some capacity at E3.

I want to hope that these amiibo are not related to any future DLC waves for characters and that we will receive more characters in the future.

As for your other point, I do know that Illusory Female Corrin was found out in the data for Echoes, although is it really tied to the Female Corrin amiibo when it won't be out until July 21st? Only guess is that it will be DLC.
To be fair, for your first point, it was a Nintendo Switch and 3DS presentation, the latter of which has Smash already, hence why the amiibo were shown off at all.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Releasing the Smash port and Splatoon 2 so close to each other seems like a bad idea. It's mid-July, not mid-November.

I don't imagine that's what happens.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Releasing the Smash port and Splatoon 2 so close to each other seems like a bad idea. It's mid-July, not mid-November.

I don't imagine that's what happens.
Then the question remains as to what will happen; maybe the port will release sometime after Splatoon 2 gets released?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Then the question remains as to what will happen; maybe the port will release after Splatoon 2 gets released?
Well I can't imagine it happens before. It would not only release less than a month after being announced (assuming it gets announced at E3), which wouldn't happen for a title of that caliber, but then it starts getting too close to ARMS. Nintendo's June and July are already fine for big-name games, considering they are slower summer months. The earliest I see getting the Smash port is August.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well I can't imagine it happens before. It would not only release less than a month after being announced (assuming it gets announced at E3), which wouldn't happen for a title of that caliber, but then it starts getting too close to ARMS. Nintendo's June and July are already fine for big-name games, considering they are slower summer months. The earliest I see getting the Smash port is August.
Yeah; it would be silly to release it relatively quickly when you have ARMS and Splatoon 2 being the more prominent games available. Either way, I REALLY want to hope that the port comes in August so I actually have time to play it. If it releases in September instead, well... that might be a bit annoying, but I'd work my way around it somehow. :p

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord

Then the question remains as to what will happen; maybe the port will release sometime after Splatoon 2 gets released?
I don't believe that we'll get a Smash 4 port in the same vein as the Mario Kart 8 port. If anything, something more like Splatoon 2 in which it's a new game but with the previous game as a base. As for its release date, Holiday 2016 so it could release alongside Mario Odyssey, or, to prevent cannibalizing on Mario Odyssey sales, Q1 2017 or Q2 2017. They need big hitters for next year as well as giving Splatoon 2 and ESPECIALLY ARMS, some time to shine on their own. Throwing Smash in the middle of that would affect both games negatively.

@ amiibo listing: It's possible that it could be 4 new characters or the sets of Cloud and Bayo amiibo sharing the same numbers.

But if it's 4 new characters...oh yes.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
So, Team Kirby Clash Deluxe has been a wild ride so far.

In terms of characters, we have Bandana Dee as one of two NPCs in the village alongside Magolor (who also has his own armor set). Dark Matter Swordsman has its own set of armor and sword for the Sword Hero class (after appearing in Planet Robobot no less) and wouldn't be impossible to see as its own boss in this game as well considering bosses can also have armor in the game. Taranza is a confirmed boss fight (and armor set), while Susie and Chuchu get their own set of armors. In other words, anyone remotely relevant to the Kirby series outside of Dedede and Meta Knight (and even then I wouldn't rule out the possibility altogether) has made an appearance in this most recent game. All the remotely possible future Kirby characters in Smash are getting their time in the limelight, in other words.

Not that Kirby desperately needs a fourth character in the first place, but considering how big the series is in Japan, as well as this being right on Kirby's 25th Anniversary, and I'd call this side game a pretty big deal terms of what it means for the series and its relevance to Smash moving ahead.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
To be fair, for your first point, it was a Nintendo Switch and 3DS presentation, the latter of which has Smash already, hence why the amiibo were shown off at all.
That's true... I guess Nintendo is not finished with the 3DS for now.

Still... Smash 4 Switch would be so awesome if it's real. Both Wii U and 3DS versions in one game with all the DLC included... it would be like the Definitive Edition!

Honestly, the 3DS version has some of the best new stages like Magicant and Find Mii (Wandering Heroes for Smash!) and I really enjoyed Smash Run. The stuff in the 3DS version would look so amazing on the big screen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

In terms of characters, we have Bandana Dee as one of two NPCs in the village alongside Magolor (who also has his own armor set). Dark Matter Swordsman has its own set of armor and sword for the Sword Hero class (after appearing in Planet Robobot no less) and wouldn't be impossible to see as its own boss in this game as well considering bosses can also have armor in the game. Taranza is a confirmed boss fight (and armor set), while Susie and Chuchu get their own set of armors. In other words, anyone remotely relevant to the Kirby series outside of Dedede and Meta Knight (and even then I wouldn't rule out the possibility altogether) has made an appearance in this most recent game. All the remotely possible future Kirby characters in Smash are getting their time in the limelight, in other words.

Not that Kirby desperately needs a fourth character in the first place, but considering how big the series is in Japan, as well as this being right on Kirby's 25th Anniversary, and I'd call this side game a pretty big deal terms of what it means for the series and its relevance to Smash moving ahead.
Honestly it just sounds like they reused a bunch of assets. Anyone there exclusive from Kirby's sprite days? Or yarn game?

Gooey? Rick? Ribbon? Adeleine? Nightmare? Marx? Prince Fluff?

D

Deleted member

You say "everyone", yet we're still missing a certain galactic knight whose name escapes me.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

If we've gone this far without any announcement, and considering Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an April release first teased last fall? I'm starting to think November. But they'd need to make sure it wasn't released the same day as Super Mario Odyssey, so...hm...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If people think we're honestly getting a Smash 5 this year, they're setting themselves up for disappointment.

Smash 4 port can work this year, but Smash 5 would be mid 2018 at the earliest.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
If people think we're honestly getting a Smash 5 this year, they're setting themselves up for disappointment.

Smash 4 port can work this year, but Smash 5 would be mid 2018 at the earliest.
More like mid 2019, if not 2020. A massive, super-intricate crossover fighting game on Smash's scale takes a long time to develop. We've reason to believe Smash 4 took at least 2 1/2 years!

Then again, it seems like a lot of the people who are talking Smash 5 are talking new content using Smash 4's mechanics as a base...which is almost a Smash 4.75, like a Smash version of Splatoon 2. Though competitive shooters tend to keep more things similar between games than fighting games do...

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
It would be rather strange for Switch exclusive characters from the supposed Smash 4 port to not get amiibo. Either Nintendo are lying and there are secretly more coming, or the port doesn't have additional characters. Even Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a port, has new characters alongside all of the old content...

They could theoretically release a new Smash amiibo range of veterans and newcomers in new poses to coincide a new game, separate from the current Smash Bros. amiibo. "Smash 6", which had a job listing, could be a new game, but re-using Smash WiiU's engine, assets, etc. Re-using game engines, assets, etc isn't exactly a new thing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
ither Nintendo are lying and there are secretly more coming,
Uh how?

They just announced the :4bayonetta::4bayonetta2::4cloud::4cloud2::4corrin::4corrinf: amiibos.

It's not like they can't announce more without lying.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Uh how?

They just announced the :4bayonetta::4bayonetta2::4cloud::4cloud2::4corrin::4corrinf: amiibos.

It's not like they can't announce more without lying.
That's the point.

Nintendo just said that these character amiibo are the last of the Smash Bros. amiibo line. This means that there shouldn't be any more in the series to come. However, people are expecting new characters for an unconfirmed, rumoured port. Wouldn't it be odd if those characters didn't have amiibo?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think I'll just give it until E3 if there actually is a port of Smash 4 for the Switch. Otherwise I'll probably just assume that either a brand new entry is in the works or Sakurai is just busy with another game in the meantime and gets back to Smash at a later point...

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Personally, I couldn't care less for the six upcoming Smash Amiibo.

I do love the new TLoZ Amiibo, though. Now, we have a version of Link from almost every big TLoZ installment.

I think the new Splatoon Amiibo are pretty cool, too. I know that they were stated to be compatible, but I wonder if the old Splatoon Amiibo will be able to grant the cool outfits we saw.

Joel_Tarkus

Smash Cadet
NNID
explodingmuffin7
User was warned for this post
Joel_Tarkus Joel_Tarkus do you mind if i ask why your dream character is the mushroom genie?

Im curious since it seems like a "random" choice. :)
I just like him far more than someone should. He makes me smile a smile that is smiley and his mustache makes me giggle like a little school girl. I also like the unchanging expression on his face as he flies you around. An expression I fail to identify as any recognizable human emotion. For you see that is just how amazing the Mushroom Genie is, he is so fantastic that he has managed to transcend all human emotions. I think we can all learn something about something from the Mushroom Genie.

Joel_Tarkus Joel_Tarkus do you mind if i ask why your dream character is the mushroom genie?

Im curious since it seems like a "random" choice. :)
LOL Is it the manly mustache? The strong arms? :love:
It's definitely the mustache[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Honestly it just sounds like they reused a bunch of assets. Anyone there exclusive from Kirby's sprite days? Or yarn game?

Gooey? Rick? Ribbon? Adeleine? Nightmare? Marx? Prince Fluff?
Drawcia is one of the end-game armors for Beam Mage. There's also something for Beam Mage that looks like it could be the Fairy Queen of Kirby 64, but I have no idea. Wham Bam Rock aka Prototype Master Hand is an end-game set for Hammer Lord as well, so that's neat.
You say "everyone", yet we're still missing a certain galactic knight whose name escapes me.
Oh don't you worry. What with being synonymous with the words "Kirby" and "Boss Fight" nowadays, and given that this game is four times the former and nothing but the latter, I'm almost positive he's going to show up as the brutal bonus boss at the very end, not unlocked until Taranza is already beaten.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Oh don't you worry. What with being synonymous with the words "Kirby" and "Boss Fight" nowadays, and given that this game is four times the former and nothing but the latter, I'm almost positive he's going to show up as the brutal bonus boss at the very end, not unlocked until Taranza is already beaten.
Keep in mind that all of this is based on stuff coming from leaked /v/ stuff, and while it does have screenshots and the like I'm filling in blanks myself... (Just got passed Whispy. Curse you, free to play moddle forcing inacivity!)
Sorry to say, but it seems that no knight based battles are in the game, Meta, Dark, or Galacta. Guess the developers thought it wouldn't work in the environment.

The main plot line seems to involve the world being invaded by alternate universe counterparts, including Susie and Landia.

Taranza eventually uses the Dimension Mirror to turn himself into "Dark Taranza" with more bee-like qualities.

However, he is defeated by the true final boss, a Dark Mind-possessed version of Dedede known as "King D-Mind".

While they are still mostly re-using assets, it's still a surprising number of plot twists...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Keep in mind that all of this is based on stuff coming from leaked /v/ stuff, and while it does have screenshots and the like I'm filling in blanks myself... (Just got passed Whispy. Curse you, free to play moddle forcing inacivity!)
Sorry to say, but it seems that no knight based battles are in the game, Meta, Dark, or Galacta. Guess the developers thought it wouldn't work in the environment.

The main plot line seems to involve the world being invaded by alternate universe counterparts, including Susie and Landia.

Taranza eventually uses the Dimension Mirror to turn himself into "Dark Taranza" with more bee-like qualities.

However, he is defeated by the true final boss, a Dark Mind-possessed version of Dedede known as "King D-Mind".

While they are still mostly re-using assets, it's still a surprising number of plot twists...
Ho ****, they brought back Dark Mind with a twist; possessing Dedede (or is this supposed to be Shadow Dedede from the same world?) like Dark Matter would do. Cool, so we get to introduce kids to the good old days of Dedede's stomach getting ripped open to show teeth and a giant ey-

-sees last picture-

GOOD GRACIOUS **** THEY MADE IT EVEN WORSE THAN BEFORE

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
What are some unrequested characters that would be amazing to have in Smash 5? I vouch for King Boo as part of the Luigi franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom