• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That's not actually my point, lol. The company is clearly (whether real or fake) in charge of making physical advertising materials, and it makes perfect sense for that to be outsourced. I'm not questioning why they'd have the banner in the first place.
Oh neither am I, just pointing out that organizing the banner itself, or the characters on the banner, is a little weird.

Unless I'm double crazy and that is the case.

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
Even if the leak is fake, i won't be disappointed, tbh. I'm sure Sakurai is saving the best for last and box theory is pretty dead for me by now. but if this leak is real, then HOLY **** what a ****ing beautiful game.
With this in mind, if we assume the box theory is true, who would Sakurai bank on getting a huge reaction from to finish off the character reveals for the base game? Incineroar (probably not since a TON of people adamantly hate him apparently) or Ken (Cool to have him, yet underwhelming) don't seem to fit the bill.

I'm willing to bank on the very low possibility of part of the leak being true because the only way those two end up being the last revealed characters is if they were added last minute to the game.

On the other hand, if a DLC announcement is the "big one" that's being rumored, that's just a kick in the gut as far as I'm concerned.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It means the background has indeed changed, or least able to be changed.
I thought it looked like Mega Man was shifted to the right but *shrug*

IIRC the tailgate thing was announced before Isabelle was revealed (it says it started on the 22nd but I think it was advertised before then.)
Yes. It's been going on for a while. I know this because we were talking about it in the Discord and I was mad that the closest to me is in Blacksburg and I'm not driving out there to play video game at a tailgate

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
it's funny watching this unfold from three different perspectives.

most on 4chan are convinced its real, mainly because of the based boomer picks and the fact it would BTFO vergeben, steve and incineroar.
as we can see here, smashboards is mostly undecided and still broiled in constant debate over it
GameFAQs is vergeben's headquarters, so obviously most people there believe him and are against any and all leaks

it is a true battle between hope and despair. I unironically think this leak is gonna become The Tragedy if it's revealed to be fake. the amount of despair that would wash over the world from one single direct or an official announcement is unparalleled.
I know this is besides the point, but why are we calling these characters "boomer" picks if that generation's birth date ended in the 60s? I think only Mach Rider could barely even count. I'm technically a Millennial, being born in 1991, and so my pick is still technically a Millennial pick.

I know this is most likely ironic, and also I hate these arbitrary generational delineations in the first place, but still.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
With this in mind, if we assume the box theory is true, who would Sakurai bank on getting a huge reaction from to finish off the character reveals for the base game? Incineroar (probably not since a TON of people adamantly hate him apparently) or Ken (Cool to have him, yet underwhelming) don't seem to fit the bill.

I'm willing to bank on the very low possibility of part of the leak being true because the only way those two end up being the last revealed characters is if they were added last minute to the game.

On the other hand, if a DLC announcement is the "big one" that's being rumored, that's just a kick in the gut as far as I'm concerned.
Just because Incineroar and Ken don't please you doesn't mean they won't please the crowd, unfortunately

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Vaan brings up a great point.

Why would the marketing firm be in charge of organizing the banner? That would lead to discrepancies among promotional material.

Why would a print shop be in charge of graphic design for the company? Unless I'm missing something, this is a huge hole.
Print companies still do sometimes gain access to fully editable assets, even if they're not in charge of actually editing them. (I work in graphic design and send things to print like this all the time.) To me, it looks like this company has been tasked with taking the complete mural and modifying it to fit onto their stock promotional materials. (In my own experience, the print company we use often makes slight adjustments to our artwork in order to make it fit their templates.) It's really not that out there.

On the other side of the argument, Nintendo is a much bigger company than the one I work for, and it's reasonable to suggest they wouldn't grant access to their files so readily. We cannot know.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings

But Brawl ended off with Olimar and 4's last reveal was Shulk. Smash has never prioritized "saving the best for last".

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Wait, really? I wanna see.
It's not important, imo

Oh neither am I, just pointing out that organizing the banner itself, or the characters on the banner, is a little weird.

Unless I'm double crazy and that is the case.
I had initially quoted you saying "I'm pretty shocked this needed to be said at all, and I don't know how this can be interpreted as a hole" but I deleted what I had said in the case I was misunderstanding the point.

Surely if they're sent the materials design to print... they'll be able to print them

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Well that's an interesting find

You can't see the crystal in the middle picture because Megaman is in front of it. Pay attention to where his foot is placed. He's shifted over significantly to the left in the first image.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
But Brawl ended off with Olimar and 4's last reveal was Shulk. Smash has never prioritized "saving the best for last".
Dude this game is different. They've planned from the start to reveal everyone before release so ending big makes a lot more sense.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Read through my posts if you care to; I am on team fake currently
I believe this leak will surpass Rayman if it's fake and I don't see how that's too debatable. Rayman leak's a DAMN good leak don't get me wrong but look at what this leak has done to not only us but mainstream media.

Not sure why it's a competition though we both sad af in the end
Oh, I agree that if this leak is fake, then it's the greatest fake leak to date.
I don't believe it because simply put, I was burned the last time for believing a leak 100%, and that was my fault. Oh, and the fact that there quite a few discrepancies.
I'm already satisfied with the roster and I don't want to go into a Direct expecting these characters due to a leak.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
The blank background could be for the games logo, since that wristband or whatever has one side with the fighters and another side with the games logo on the battlefield, maybe they send out separate layers so the different reigons can apply their logo? Though, thata kind of a weak explanation, since all of Europe seems to just use 'Super Smahs Bros" instead of something like Japan, but its something.

Also, I dont want to be privy, but how long has Papagenos' source known about the banner leak? It seems a little odd that this news didnt break out until the day of the Grinch leak. Im not trying to accuse the man of anything, but when another brand new source (from a new company) that conviently knew about all 7 banner characters and Inceneroar comes into play, Im going to have a couple concerns. Obviously I gotta respect privacy, but anything we can find out helps here. Thanks.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Just as summary: Mega Man was moved, the background didn't change, and it's an old banner.
Which is why it means nothing.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Judging from the last few post, we still haven't debunk the mural yet. Anything of interest that happened in the last few hours?
New item in the Smash trailer nintendo posted on twitter for their demo tour. An item is found that looks like a sprout and seems to be similar to something from Golden Sun.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Hey guys, been without Wi-Fi almost all day. What’s the status of the Grinch leak?

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord

I honestly can't seen Ken and Incineroar being the only two last fighters, that would be a tremendous hype killer. Just a clone and a Pokémon? Nope, no way. I think daddy Sakurai is holding something much bigger alongside those two.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I'll be honest and say this reminds me 100% more of FF materia than anything in Golden Sun. But that little sprout IS weird and so is the arrow not aligning

KMDP

Smash Legend
As someone who hasnt played GS, what would that do?
Growth in Golden Sun has two purposes.

On the field, when you use the Growth spell on a sprout, it grows into a vine that you can climb to reach higher ledges.
In battle, the spell grows huge thorny vines that damage the enemy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It is strange that two new items would both use such a similar looking sprout. But clearly they're different.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I know this is besides the point, but why are we calling these characters "boomer" picks if that generation's birth date ended in the 60s? I think only Mach Rider could barely even count. I'm technically a Millennial, being born in 1991, and so my pick is still technically a Millennial pick.

I know this is most likely ironic, and also I hate these arbitrary generational delineations in the first place, but still.
The major problem is that gaming in general is a millennial thing, so it's hard to separate "generations" of gamers.

I was born in '89 and I am old compared to most of the people I Smash with. Yet I'm also quite young compared to many of the people I met at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom