• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Also has Vergeben said anything about this? AFAIK he went radio silent on Smash leaks about halfway through Isabelle's reveal - present day

Chrono.

So if the guy was really impersonating Eric, that's an actual felony.

Not sure what happens after that.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Something I've been thinking about lately...

Due to the blurriness of the leak the leaker, if fake, wouldn't even need to draw new renders for the new characters. If we're to assume that the whole thing is fake then the blurriness is intentional and was due to hide discrepancies, thus new renders aren't necessary as all that matters would be that the new characters could be recognized. How would he get the new renders though? Well just piece together various existing renders.

...I did that all the time when I was younger and made Sonic fan characters.

Trisepta

Smash Cadet
Then what’s the payoff? Faking this image, staging it in a print shop, having the Grinch stuff visible, and just over a month before the game really releases? And the whole thing with the guy’s name. If it was never real, why stage that only to not get in trouble over a fake image for ****s and giggles?
Hard to say. Could simply just be for a laugh. There was a big " :laugh: LOL" on the snap after all. Everything else can still be real without the Smash banner being real.
And there is the possibility that he didn't expect it to get this much attention. Apparently, he didn't "leak" it, but someone screenshotted his snapchat. The same can be said for why risk his job for a real leak?

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
A couple things to think about, is there any proof that Eric is the source of the original snapchat, is it possible someone else could have taken the snapchat from what Eric had lying around, maybe he really did not know about this, maybe these could even be mockups someone else recieved from the company or Eric, can be way off, I do not know how these things work but just some ideas.

Also saw thought billybo10k had an interesting idea in his latest video, perhaps a different background was made for different promotion items where they wanted to stress the fighters more and not draw as much attention to the background for whatever reason like for smaller prints like wristbands and this is what the company has to work with. IDK i am really back and forth with this but am really enjoying the ride.

Also wonder if there are good points of interest in the background, assuming a potential faker did not know about the e3 picture since they would match up probably then, there is a lot going on and it does look pretty close especially if there are certain other points without a good view from other releases of the art that would have been more difficult to replicated.

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Photoshopped little mac guy, RelaxAlex, still seems to be going strong with his youtube channel. Curious how his name isn't more well known/immediately recognizable for how big the meme is.

Regardless you def have a very good point. I wasn't around for ESRB (well I was around for the speculation cycle, just didn't know about the leak) but everything I'm hearing and seeing about this leak seems to correspond very well with how ESRB went.

The thing is, though, that argument rests on people's feelings and intuitions, which are purely subjective. Feeling a certain way about a leak has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it's factual and legitimate.

The circumstances seem similar to the ESRB but we can't say that confirms it because, well, it doesn't. It's definitely interesting to note the similarities though.
OH he was the one that said that?? I never knew, I love RelaxAlex

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
I noticed people saying Serebii said the leak was fake.
Did he make more posts on the subject than the two I saw?

The last I heard, he was explicitly refraining from calling it fake, but was saying that in a leak like this he feels the burden of proof falls on "team real" and not those wishing to debunk it.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
So when is the next Direct? I believe maybe there will be one final Direct to reveal all it might not be this month, but it will be on a Happy Rusev Day when we finally see Medusa.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Something weird I just now realized. GameXplain came out and said they won't be talking about the leak anymore. The only thing they did was making a short video shooting the leak down and didn’t really have much serious discussion. Something this massive and they're essentially just ignoring it. Seems kinda suspicious to me.

3A6726EF-109E-43FA-BF34-D058C05D92B2.gif

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How to get the real Grinch debate experience:

-Open your session in Smashboards.
-Get into the main Ultimate threat.
-Smoke some crack until you see things.
-Start posting.

Enjoy.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Question:

How can you be certain that the information provided by Resetera, Spawn Wave, and Nintendo life is credible and reliable?

Considering that many of these reputable leakers with insider info, have confirmed having shoddy and inaccurate sources before, and have been wrong in the past, combined with the fact that we know that Nintendo has likely been spreading false leaks in order to catch moles and create confusion. It's a very real possibility that the sources all these leakers have all have fake leaks for info. Especially since it's very likely they all come from the same source (info passed around by Nintendo themselves), and the evidence presented to us is nothing more than "I know this guy with insider info." Words, nothing with any verifiable evidence. The fact that "they've been right before" can be nothing more than them falling for the set-up presented by Nintendo, leak some safe, small info to certain sources to they gain credibility, but feed them false info just the same to see who's leaking what, and hide whatever you really wanna keep hidden. Given Nintendo's track reckord with leaks, especially in Smash, this is not an outlandish assumption.

Thus, just in the same way it very possibltat both the Chadnondorf leak, and the Grinch leak, could have been made by the same person as some sort of master plan to ruse people (unlikely, but I won't deny the possibility is there), you have to admit that the possibility that all these accredited leakers with certified info, have fake info, and that's why it's not lining up with the Grinch and Chadnondorf leaks. After all, many of them have been way off in the past.

It's very disingenious of you to present their argument as "hard evidence" when nothing they're presenting is verified in any way. In fact, what you're doing is you're appealing to authority in order to try and win an arguement, without pausing to try and verify the sources of your own claims (their own claims) and see if they're something with any authentically verifiable evidence. As it stands, the Grinch leak holds more weight than the words of "authority figures" saying "trust us" because at least the Grinch leak has more evidence, and is being verified by what seems to be two separate sources.

Now, while it might be possible all of that could be a ruse, it's up to the opposition to provide PROOF to disprove that. Not use a weaker argument and an appeal to authority as a substitute for proper debate. That's called a logical fallacy, please don't do that.

I bring this up because Serebii came up in the thread saying that "the burden of proof lies on the grinch leak to prove itself" but the grinch leak already has evidence supporting it. Really, the burden of proof now falls on the opposition to try and break down that evidence with solid arguments. Arguments that align more than "trust us, it's fake cause I know a guy who told me something different, and he's an insider" as I said before, insiders can, and very likely do have false information. Thus, in order to dispell the Grinch leak, you need to bring forward solid evidence that the Chadnondorf and Grinch leaks are both by the same person, and both fabricated, OR provide evidence that the claims being made by the insiders are verifiably true in some fashion. If you can't do neither, then you don't have an argument, and your best bet is to just wait it out till the Direct to see what happens.
Thank you for this, ManlySpirit.

This has been bugging me for the past few hours, and I'm glad someone more knowledgeable stepped in.
.watch someone steal that build and datamine it
*coughs up blood*

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Also has Vergeben said anything about this? AFAIK he went radio silent on Smash leaks about halfway through Isabelle's reveal - present day
Vergeben have been awfully slient since that music theory incident where some dumbass thinking that music theory being kill means that verge was wrong after all which made him pissed off. Since then, he didn't comment with any news from his insiders. I think it can be safe to say that Verge left the smash community in the gamefaq alone and in the general.

Last edited:

larlargaming

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LarlarGaming
3DS FC
2578-3594-9063
Something weird I just now realized. GameXplain came out and said they won't be talking about the leak anymore. The only thing they did was making a short video shooting the leak down and didn’t really have much serious discussion. Something this massive and they're essentially just ignoring it. Seems kinda suspicious to me.

View attachment 171988
but they literally uploaded a bit earlier about the leak again
https://youtu.be/S8ICoSzCiyE

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

View attachment 171988
I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Let me guess; it was like SourceGaming's podcast?

At least Box Theory is finally dead tho. Good riddance.
honestly watching people talk about this is like, 50x more entertaining than box theory could have ever dreamed to be

Noipoi

Howdy!
This is like the reverse esrb. It's a huge leak that everyone wants to be real.
I'd hate to see the fallout if it turns out to be fake. People say this is way too much effort to be a fake, and I agree somewhat, but humans are strange creatures. I could absolutely believe some guy with way too much free time did this all.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
i think joe made a good point; we should be trying to find what makes it real and not what makes it fake

otherwise it's just a loop();
We already did. The people calling it definitively fake are not listening to the evidence for support, or giving flimsy excuses. Now that we've accumulated a lot of evidence from the image as well as the circumstances surrounding the image, it's now in the court for those wanting it to be fake to provide their evidence.

*sees nothing but shadows and clouds*

(obviously I'm exaggerating to prove the point--there are alternative explanations, but that's what they are, alternative--there's no tangible evidence until an insider decides they can share something non-trivial).

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253

View attachment 171988
I don't really trust them... They don't seem very reliable, imo.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom