• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's the craziest person in the world going out of their way to make incredibly boring cardboard cut-out models using promotional material from the upcoming Grinch movie because he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company. To this end, he then got himself an office, printed out the name of an employee of said company, and haphazardly half blurred out the name because, once again, he's some kind of super genius beyond the mental capacities of mortal man and he knew that the internet's crack team of cybersleuths would find his red-herring name in seconds.

This absolute Einstein of social engineering also happens to moonlight as an expert artist and after presumably spending hours carefully cutting and pasting characters from the Smash poster, he then went out of his way to produce 7 more drawings of his own with obscure elements like vines for Isaac that hardly anyone would be able to make out, and then, for the fun of it, he saw to making a completely unique drawing of the blank version of Battlefield just because he could. He made sure that this fake roster of his perfectly mirrored one posted on 4chan last month by someone whose first language clearly isn't English because he knew that people would immediately make the connection to the French marketing company that he is pretending produced this image. The fact that 5 new characters lines up with the 5 missing stages from Corocoro was all part of his master plan. He also made sure this coincided with Nintendo renewing relevant trademarks.

The lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. Apparently he knew where people would look at every turn, making him at the minimum more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.

I suggest you think about which outcome is the most likely here
I wanna marry with this reply.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Yeah it's the craziest person in the world going out of their way to make incredibly boring cardboard cut-out models using promotional material from the upcoming Grinch movie because he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company. To this end, he then got himself an office, printed out the name of an employee of said company, and haphazardly half blurred out the name because, once again, he's some kind of super genius beyond the mental capacities of mortal man and he knew that the internet's crack team of cybersleuths would find his red-herring name in seconds.

This absolute Einstein of social engineering also happens to moonlight as an expert artist and after presumably spending hours carefully cutting and pasting characters from the Smash poster, he then went out of his way to produce 7 more drawings of his own with obscure elements like vines for Isaac that hardly anyone would be able to make out, and then, for the fun of it, he saw to making a completely unique drawing of the blank version of Battlefield just because he could. He made sure that this fake roster of his perfectly mirrored one posted on 4chan last month by someone whose first language clearly isn't English because he knew that people would immediately make the connection to the French marketing company that he is pretending produced this image. The fact that 5 new characters lines up with the 5 missing stages from Corocoro was all part of his master plan. He also made sure this coincided with Nintendo renewing relevant trademarks.

The lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. Apparently he knew where people would look at every turn, making him at the minimum more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.

There doesn't need to be a single goddamn post after this one.

You win.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

XPNC really snapped with this one

D

Deleted member

Nothing. Though I'm super convinced that it's fake. I have no interest in it being real or fake, I just hate liars.
Well, so do I, but most people barely put any effort into their lies. They just go off on tangents about how their father's uncle's best friend's next door neighbor's gardener's cousin works for Nintendo and such.

I just feel like this has enough credible evidence, as well as a lack of information that could deconfirm this besides the blurred quality (which since has had that hurt with a slightly improved version of the banner), as well as how the person doing this clearly had an ax to grind with someone and did this on purpose if we are to believe that profanity-laced tirade back in September.

And my heart tells me that the way you're going about it is not approaching this in a constructive sense but rather for the sake of instigation, that's all. I hope I didn't upset anybody for saying this, but that's just how I felt.

KMDP

Smash Legend
50 fact extravaganza and every 10th fact is a newcomer
Something I already suggested... god, it must have like 20 pages ago. :laugh:
Trying to keep up with this thread today has been a nightmare lol

Assuming this "Grinch Leak" is real (which it does seem very likely), I feel so sorry for Sakurai for having these characters blown out like this. What a shame to not be able to surprise us with 7 newcomers, which most of us weren't expecting after taking Sakurai's words of "don't expect too many newcomers" to heart, and I personally would liked to have been surprised by the man himself than through a leaker.

However, this is honestly a very solid set of newcomers that would please pretty much everyone, especially those of us who have been involved in speculation for a long time, and I myself would be very happy if these were our remaining newcomers. Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Chorus Kids, Isaac, Mach Rider, Shadow and Ken essentially round out the roster of dreams, and all are choices I could see Sakurai choosing for Ultimate.

On a personal scale, Geno, Isaac and Banjo appeal to me the most, while the other four are also solid choices. Super Mario RPG is one of my favorite SNES games, and Geno does evoke the sense of nostalgia I had when playing the game for the first time. Golden Sun + The Lost Age is one of my favorite series on the GBA, and I'd love to see Isaac's abilities represented in Ultimate. Banjo-Kazooie is a game I love dearly from the N64 era (which perfected the collectathon in my opinion), so their inclusion would be wild for me, as I never thought that they would truly see the light of day in Smash.

Mach Rider is the Retro pick that I would totally see Sakurai choosing, and was considered for Melee from what I recall, so seeing the character make it in now would be wonderful. Chorus Kids would be the final Smash 4 scrapped character to make it in, and bring new franchise representation as well, which I appreciate. Shadow has been a long-time request even back in the Brawl days ever since Sonic made it into the roster, and I'd be very happy for his fans to see him make it in. And Ken makes perfect sense to join Ryu as the OG Echo Fighter, but I would also hope that he has at least a couple unique differences with his moveset as well.

I'm not going all in on this leak, as there is the possibility that it could be fake, but it certainly seems more likely to be real than fake from what I've seen throughout the day. What I really hope for is that the next Smash Direct will confirm or deny these newcomers, so that we can move forward with discussing Ultimate itself and the possibility of DLC candidates. If November 8th turns out to be true for our next direct date, it's going to be a wild two weeks until then, you can bet on that. Until then, I'm going to keep my expectations tempered, but will remain hopeful that our characters will make it in. I will be very interested in seeing what happens when we reach the end of this crazy hype train we're on now. ;)
Good post, Sigma!

I am very interested in what Sakurai chose to do with Mach Rider (assuming leak realness).

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

Immediately screenshotted for copypasta format purposes. YOU'RE the genius here.

Edit: Holy **** I can't stop giggling at this it's so good

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion

This is gods words

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
View attachment 171732

Someone posted this claiming it as proof it's fake

Idk actually makes it seem more real to me lol. The leaker actually provides more art as a result of the characters shifting. People arguing that its so easy to move characters around don't even realize that many of these characters don't even have complete art renders. Many of the characters shifted have more art to them now, like Jigglypuff, Snake, Greninja, Roy, and many more.

Why, of all things, would a leaker shift characters and add more art to make work for themselves. Seems like a lot of needless work if they didn't already have the assets.

Last edited:

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't Square Enix angry at some point this month due to a real leak that nobody was able to identify because literally all of them had been proven fake? What if they knew about this one, but only the part about the Snapchat message being sent to someone else (that may have been dealt with back then, hence the leaker not working there anymore now)?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Idk actuall makes it seem more real to me lol. The leaker actually provides more art as a result of the characters shifting. People arguing that its so easy to move characters around don't even realize that many of these characters don't even have complete art renders. Many of the characters shifted have more art to them now, like Jigglypuff, Snake, Greninja, Roy, and many more.

Why, of all things, would a leaker shift characters and add more art to make work for themselves. Seems like a lot of needless work if they didn't already have the assets.
Actually, it's the opposite

THe guy said this is proving it REAL

I found the source for it

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The Grinch is a funnier character than we've ever had before.
Yes, he is very funny, right down to the core.
No one knows why, so don't bother to ask
But the humor he does bring sure does last
The Grinch may seem mean down to the heart
But he does have that humor within every part
You too will laugh at the Grinch's humor, I say
For he will bring joy and laughter to your day

Sorry, I just had to do a Dr. Seuss.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Uh- that's a nice thread, please, go ahead and read it... Leaker might have made a botch With Mii Swordman

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Well I am a bit surprised. Took me some time to catch up on this thread (yes I read EVERYTHING) and still the banner leak is alive?

Hmmm. Still hoping it grows stronger.

Eric must feel like Rita Repulsa "Watch my monster GROW!!!"

*Takes a seat, pours some tea* Anyone thirsty? Just made a fresh pitcher.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Trying to keep up with this thread today has been a nightmare lol

Assuming this "Grinch Leak" is real (which it does seem very likely), I feel so sorry for Sakurai for having these characters blown out like this. What a shame to not be able to surprise us with 7 newcomers, which most of us weren't expecting after taking Sakurai's words of "don't expect too many newcomers" to heart, and I personally would liked to have been surprised by the man himself than through a leaker.
I don't think Sakurai will ever be able to watch Grinch again. RIP.

for real tho i agree

D

Deleted member

"The Smash Bros. Conspiracy: Follow The Grinch..."

*X-Files music plays*
Every year, all Smashers will have to play some version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas as a tribute to the green one's act of selflessness selfishness.

Noipoi

Howdy!

This is what I log in for.

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
I am also team #real!
This is so good on so many levels that you don't even need the Snapchat info that i have to believe it.
And if you consider that the snapchat story really happened it just gets bulletproof.
(Man i will be disappointed in a few weeks right?)

KMDP

Smash Legend
69: Mach Rider
70: Chorus Kids
71: Isaac
72: Banjo-Kazooie
73: Geno
38e: Shadow
60e: Ken

How I see it personally.
Personally, I'd switch around Banjo & Kazooie and Geno, but otherwise, this is a good order.

Also, it's kind of funny that you chose the character nobody can determine the sex of to be #69. :laugh:

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Uh- that's a nice thread, please, go ahead and read it... Leaker might have made a botch With Mii Swordman

This leak is dead. Let's move on to the next leak.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

"Looks more like they moved the background so Bayo's hair would stand out"
Thoughts?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't think Sakurai will ever be able to watch Grinch again. RIP.

for real tho i agree
Just goes to show that he's a mean one (the Grinch).

Maybe Sakurai will become a Grinch towards us fans.

Maybe there's a Grinch in all of us.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So i now uploaded my Snapchat chat (warning German) on Imgur, the guy i spoke with is my friend from France, he is not into gaming but definitly saw the story after i asked him. (Sorry he asked me too censor his name for obvious reasons)
https://imgur.com/y2ZcyTk
Translated: "yes the snap was 100% real something with bracelets and drawings. got it myself but something does not itch. But the story is gone"

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Something I already suggested... god, it must have like 20 pages ago. :laugh:

Good post, Sigma!

I am very interested in what Sakurai chose to do with Mach Rider (assuming leak realness).
All i want is for it to be girl mach rider

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Interesting. Someone else also pointed out that DK's vine is cut off.

Hard to say too much against it because the picture is so blurry, but I'm starting to see more and more questionable parts to this leaked pic surface. Wonder if we'll find more.

Last edited:

SmashNStache

Smash Cadet
Boy, I tell ya, keeping up with all this has been a wild ride.

If this is real, I'll be a little bummed that Incineroar isn't in (or not on the base game). But I'd still be happy with the remaining newcomers. Gotta mentally prepare myself for the hard time I'll be getting if this is the real deal though.

Still, happy for the fans of these characters! Especially for Banjo's fans!

Wambo

Smash Ace
Wasn't Square Enix angry at some point this month due to a real leak that nobody was able to identify because literally all of them had been proven fake? What if they knew about this one, but only the part about the Snapchat message being sent to someone else (that may have been dealt with back then, hence the leaker not working there anymore now)?
Chadondorf may have been the guy who got Nintendo's feathers ruffled in the first place. Some random dood currently names most of the remaining fighters?

Sakurai's reaction:

D

Deleted member

Well, guess I'll give it another day. If its still not definitively bunked by noon tomorrow, I'll start thinking of who I'd like to see as DLC. Perhaps Incineroar will make it in that way (or maybe Necrozma, already a Boss if this leak is correct), can have a playable version. I wouldnt mind seeing Shantae dance into danger either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom