• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I am definitely of the opinion the empty banner is the same as the filled banner. That's not how you're going to prove this one fake.

link2702

Smash Champion
...it finally happened,it’s come full circle. During brawls lifetime people speculated that characters were hidden in the clouds of sse cutscenes.

Now people are so desperate once again for any news they’re seeing characters hidden in the clouds of smash ultimate’s artwork.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I am definitely of the opinion the empty banner is the same as the filled banner. That's not how you're going to prove this one fake.
What's your stance on the matter? Team Real or Fake?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Yeah sure, but the two characters I'd be estatic about making it in; Banjo and Isaac, have some serious design flaws on that one pic. So I won't believe it.

I mean, look, it's exactly this render.

For once, this is a "leak" I would like to believe, but I just cannot. Isaac is also too short.

It's not this render at all. I can't tell if it could be Grunty's Revenge render, but Kazooie here and Koozie and the Mural are totally different.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But weren't they taken in the same room? On the right hand side, you can see that what's a rich red has become basically white.
Well light is going to appear and be processed differently by the camera based on the angle and whether it's a picture or video.

As far as this goes, I think the big test is -

"Is a person actually dumb enough to fake a leak at risk of getting fired?"

People are dumb enough to do that and leak real info, as has happened multiple times, but this really hinges on if a random French guy is willing to risk his job and possibly his career on this. We're focused on the Ult thing, but faking two prints including Grinch promotional material for the purposes of attempting to convince people would be a double whammy since he's "Fake leaking" information from multiple companies. I don't see how he wouldn't lose his job.
Yeah, this is an underplayed factor. People can fake leaks all they want, but you don't just spread your real name and all the repercussions that come with it to troll some Smash nerds on the internet. I mean... then you're the one getting trolled, or much much worse.

Last edited:

PurpleStuff5

Smash Cadet
Idk if it's already mentioned but someone in 4chan said that the Banjo render looks to similar to their art from Grunty's Revenge. Opinions?

Look at the expressions and head tilt of both Banjo and Kazooie, both very different than this render. It's just a similar pose but that isn't too out of the ordinary given that it's from the games themselves.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Yeah sure, but the two characters I'd be estatic about making it in; Banjo and Isaac, have some serious design flaws on that one pic. So I won't believe it.

For once, this is a "leak" I would like to believe, but I just cannot. Isaac is also too short.
Idk if it's already mentioned but someone in 4chan said that the Banjo render looks to similar to their art from Grunty's Revenge. Opinions?

Hah.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, and I missed NONE.

Bow down to your new leaks god: ManlySpirit. Check the archive. I posted this
View attachment 171467

as a prediction just before E3 2018.

Plus, Verge was also horribly off on the DBFZ leaks, which is why I never believed him to begin with. Among many things, he predicted Radditz and Zarbon would be base game, then he said DLC, and now he's saying they'll be season 2. He also failed to predict A.21 who was fairly obvious in hindsight, and highly speculated to have a "Majin form" well before she was ever properly revealed.

He's more wrong than he is right, and when he's right, it's on very safe picks most of the time. Again, I'm just saying to be skey of people claiming to have "insider info" 90% they're full of ****, or maybe they DID get something from a friend at sone point, but once they "got famous" it's likely that friend broke contact, and then they just milked their fame with speculation for attention. These people aren't even journalists, they're just randos on the internet who get famous because you people give them too much attention.

That too. It's just too much. It's too hard to debunk at this point. I'm 100% sure this one's for real.

A lot of the stuff that verifies it too, is stuff that puts the worker and company at risk, not something a "leaker" would do if they were faking. Really, the fact that the stuff that verifies it, is stuff that was done due to oversight (when usually it's oversight and la k of attention to detail that debunks this stuff) proves it's real.

Goddbless the Grinch leak. Sakurai saved Christmas. What an impossible roster, really.
Get off of your high horse, will ya? I didn't see you predicting Ridley, Isabelle, Chrom or Richter. You missed **** too.
I've been predicting Chrom, Damus, Shadow and Isabelle ever since E3, but it doesn't make me more accurate than an actual leaker.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
...it finally happened,it’s come full circle. During brawls lifetime people speculated that characters were hidden in the clouds of sse cutscenes.

Now people are so desperate once again for any news they’re seeing characters hidden in the clouds of smash ultimate’s artwork.
I mean, people did this during Smash 4 too.

"RIDLEY IS IN THE CLOUDS!"

"PAC-MAN IS IN THE CLOUDS!"

"RAYMAN IS IN THE CLOUDS!"

I remember these well.

D

Deleted member

I'm leaning towards fake, it just doesn't feel right to me. No, I'm not saying this because Gardevoir isn't in it (unless you believe hard enough).
If this was someone being spiteful, then why is this all so blurry? Wouldn't you want to make sure everything is as crisp as possible?
If they were trying to leak stuff anonymously, why was their name able to be easily found out? If this was legit, they've probably been found out already.
Could you imagine how big of a lawsuit this leaker could've gotten themselves into?
It's blurry cause the original was a snapchat video, and someone grabbed some screencaps of it before it could be deleted, and stitched it together.

PurpleStuff5

Smash Cadet

Take a closer look at banjo & kazooie in the leaked image. They look nothing like this render. They're totally different. Also, Isaac appear so short because he is kneeling.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Gothitelle Gothitelle
loop.png

I took the very left of the filled image and the very right of the empty image you posted so you can see the similarities.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm not seeing all this supposed evidence people are talking about that makes it even more legit. It's no different from any other good image leak, blurry and small, so it's hard to make out the details.
I'll be on #TeamFake until someone can show me some level of detail similar to the Ken leak.
It's certainly not on the level of the Ken leak. But there are some good points:

- From what we can see it's clean--all of the renders looks genuine and posed naturally, many characters have been moved around in a way that seems logical, and they all seem proportionate.
- Would have required redoing the entire background for the shot without characters, and the models of certain characters when moving them around
- The person who sent the Snap is purported to be working for a French print company that works for Bandai Namco
- And just the little details like the character poses, expressions (that we can see) and how overall it all "fits" together

None of this means that it's real, but if it's a fake it's a really good one.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
What's your stance on the matter? Team Real or Fake?
You can go through my post history to see opinions so far. I never make a definitive call until I finish my analysis.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Am I being stupid? What word is pronounced ひろ?
Are you naming your bird after Emperor Hirohito?
It's a "Japanese sounding" name, because I thought of it when thinking of naming it after Sakurai. It's a pun on it being my hero, despite (one of) the japanese word(s) for hero is ヒーロー and not ヒロ
Whether or not Sakurai is Hirohito is up for debate.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Well light is going to appear and be processed differently by the camera based on the angle and whether it's a picture or video.

Yeah, this is an underplayed factor. People can fake leaks all they want, but you don't just spread your real name and all the repercussions that come with it to troll some Smash nerds on the internet. I mean... then you're the one getting trolled, or much much worse.
This is the part that confuses me and I’d like to see someone explain it away.
I mean it could simply be someone PRETENDING to be Eric B.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not this render at all. I can't tell if it could be Grunty's Revenge render, but Kazooie here and Koozie and the Mural are totally different.
They might have taken a picture of banjo and a seperate picture of kazooie and edited them together.

Look up other pictures and see if anyone can find the kazooie

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I'm feeling very conflicted about this leak.

The leaker's background makes me believe there's a decent chance of it being legit, and it's around that time of speculation, so I do believe that a big leak revealing the last few fighters could pop up at any second. But the thing is... seven? FIVE of which are unique? And nearly half of these five are third party?
I don't know. We're 1.5 months away from release. I find it a very tough pill to swallow.

...But if it IS real, then I feel like alot of people are going to be happy, especially considering Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, and Isaac are in. I've also seen plenty of people asking for a Rhythm heaven character. And I guess there's Mach rider, who I've seen a few people mention as a possible retro newcomer after Takamaru's deconfirmation.

As for me, personally. I'd be interested in seeing Isaac and Banjo and Kazooie in particular, despite not having played either of their games. (I've only just started Golden Sun myself.) But I'll be pretty sad due to the lack of Bandana Dee. I guess I'll at least have my wish of Chrom fulfilled.
Oh well, in case it ends up being real, I can stiill hope for DLC.

But in the end, I'm personally on team doubt. The amount of characters supposedly left to be revealed are the biggest red flag for me especially considering how long we have left until release. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Yeah I just think the Banjo & Kazooie render is slightly posed similarly but it does look different enough to me to be unique, also I think Sakurai would definitely stick to the classic N64 design like those artworks did

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'll be gone for a bit! Hoping to see a Vaanrose & PushDustIn verdict later. I'm on TeamHmmmm since this is pretty unusual as far as leaks go.

D

Deleted member

Get off of your high horse, will ya? I didn't see you predicting Ridley, Isabelle, Chrom or Richter. You missed **** too.
I've been predicting Chrom, Damus, Shadow and Isabelle ever since E3, but it doesn't make me more accurate than an actual leaker.
"Actual leaker," see that's the part where you're wrong.
There is nothing except a few lucky guesses to verify Vergeben. By that standard, me guessing K.Rool, Simon, and Banjo makes me just as credible if I lied as said I had "sources."

That's not official art, it's fanart. It's different from the art in the leak. And it's a very typical and iconic pose of the two, probably the most common pose they're seen in.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Lucina's official Smash 4 render was a flipped version of her Awakening artwork. It's not the best way to debunk a leak
That's true of other characters too. It's not uncommon for character renders to mimic other official art.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I'm still on Team Hmmm, but I'm kinda leaning towards real. Just have a feeling...hmghnghgn....
The fact that Geno is there, who I feel needs to be in to make this game feel complete (Ridley, King K. Rool, Geno) and the fact that Isaac is here, to make the game feel even more complete than complete... AND the fact that my most wanted newcomer, Banjo-Kazooie is there... and my most wanted retro rep, Mach Rider (good job PapaGenos if this is true) is there... I'd love for this to be true! But there's too much that just looks fake, to me. Banjo-Kazooie look similar to the fake render. Isaac looks really short. Ken's proportions are off.
Also, Banjo-Kazooie being in the base roster just gives it a too good to be true feel.
There's no Ninten, Louie, Shantae or Kid Icarus rep, but this roster is far too amazing to complain about. But, I won't believe it until I see it, honestly. I'm on Team Fake, but I'd be even happier than when Ridley was revealed if this ends up being true.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'm not saying there's no chance the images are existing renders, but I am saying there's no reason they have to be. The whole thing is a painting, and unpopular opinion here, but I think the banner art style is really poor and easily emulated as a result.

Shroob

Sup?
"Actual leaker," see that's the part where you're wrong.
There is nothing except a few lucky guesses to verify Vergeben. By that standard, me guessing K.Rool, Simon, and Banjo makes me just as credible if I lied as said I had "sources."

That's not official art, it's fanart. It's different from the art in the leak. And it's a very typical and iconic pose of the two, probably the most common pose they're seen in.

Thing is, you'll never be able to prove it.

Not to defend Vergeben, but I bet you said the same things about Gematsu, and this leak kinda sorta retroactively confirms Gematsu, among other things.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
It's a "Japanese sounding" name, because I thought of it when thinking of naming it after Sakurai. It's a pun on it being my hero, despite (one of) the japanese word(s) for hero is ヒーロー and not ヒロ
Whether or not Sakurai is Hirohito is up for debate.
Is it really? I think we all know that Sakurai is actually the Showa Emperor.
Gothitelle Gothitelle
View attachment 171469
I took the very left of the filled image and the very right of the empty image you posted so you can see the similarities.
Well I knew that. I meant specifically the area that Ice Climbers are over is pure white in the top image.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You can go through my post history to see opinions so far. I never make a definitive call until I finish my analysis.
Same

This is the first time in a while I can't really say one way or the other past my personal biases.
I'll probably come back to it later after work to look at it if it hasn't been debunked by then.

Feel like it won't be.

I think we all know that Sakurai is actually the Showa Emperor.
Is he not a shapeshifter? You've seen those pictures comparing his age over time, right?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The image has been mirrored? Did you mean to say left hand side?

But weren't they taken in the same room? On the right hand side, you can see that what's a rich red has become basically white.
It's taken from a snapchat video. Grab your phone camera, record a video, move the camera around to zoom on different things, and then take screenshots of it.

Notice how the exposure in the images will change relative to the position of your phone to the light sources and the focus.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
They might have taken a picture of banjo and a seperate picture of kazooie and edited them together.

Look up other pictures and see if anyone can find the kazooie
I've sent a distress call to my fellow Banjoroos. From looking at it myself, I've been combing renders. While Banjo vaguely resembles the Smashified pose (there are still differences), I can't find any where Kazooie is in that pose. Still, a graphic designer could do some crazy things.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But his prediction that it'd be a reboot cutting like 75% of the cast was completely accurate!

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Goodnight ya'll. Let's see what tomorrow brings. You've got about 7 hours until I'm awake and looking for answers!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
New leak?

Welp, where's the forum for those of us who'd rather not be spoiled? I guess I'm out before I find out too much...

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I'm not saying there's no chance the images are existing renders, but I am saying there's no reason they have to be. The whole thing is a painting, and unpopular opinion here, but I think the banner art style is really poor and easily emulated as a result.
Oh hey. As for me, I think I'm leaning toward real. It was screenshotted using a camera in a proper way (IRL walls, etc.).
Also...Why do you look familiar to me? Are you that 'leaker' in Smash 4?

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
So I just got here after a long morning, would someone be so kind as to summarize the reasons because this leak might be legit? I'm a bit lost :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom