• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Attempting to be speak outside the context of just this image:

Upon reflection no Pokemon is in abstract a little less implausible given the return of Pokemon Trainer and Pichu, to say nothing of the 13 new Pokemon + Scizor. Pokemon, like The Legend of Zelda, is getting no shortage of attention in this game even without a new character being taken into account.

Edit: To be clear, I do think a Pokemon character is likely, even before taking anything Verge said into account.
I agree. I would never bet against a Pokemon newcomer.

That said, Pokemon newcomers are often largely promotional. I suppose, given how much closer we are to Gen 8 starting and there's only going to be a handful of months before the focus shifts away from Gen 7, it'd be within the realm of possibility that GF/TPC had the foresight to opt for Gen 8 DLC instead of late-in-the-game Gen 7 base inclusion.

That doesn't seem overly likely, but I guess it's possible. I mean as far as promotion goes, that'd be more practical.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm on this team. Team Hmm, Indeed.
You can also add me as a member.

Nah, he loves making games too much for that. Also, I doubt characters are the only big thing remained.
And it just means he would try even harder to cover things up next time.

I found this image randomly. A guy posted it, and someone found it on Discord. Apparently, EITHER the LEAK is REAL, or THE FAKER went through a lot of trouble.
Can we call this The Grinch Leak?
I think this is more or less what vaanrose was saying earlier.

Of all things, why the hell would you go through the effort of faking GRINCH promotional material?
Must be because The Grinch had a game published by Konami on the GBC once. If THAT'S their reasoning, ooh boy...:laugh:

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I agree. I would never bet against a Pokemon newcomer.
I feel called out unintentionally because I've been literally betting against a Pokemon newcomer :laugh:
Though I agree, I think it's rather unlikely.

But most of all, and most importantly to me, not impossible.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Would you be surprised at all?
I'd definitely be positively surprised at this many newcomers, especially if they're all revealed in the span of a month or even less, despite Sakurai's comments on both roster size and reveal schedule.
We've had a lot of "Sakurai, the madman did it" moments but this one would take the cake by far.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
I think this is more or less what vaanrose was saying earlier.

Of all things, why the hell would you go through the effort of faking GRINCH promotional material?
Heh, you foolishly optimistic person who's taking even smallest bit of stock in leak, Grinch is a photo-shopped little mac, stop being blind.

Shroob

Sup?
That's the other thing that makes me sit back and say "Huh?"

Not only would this guy be faking a Smash leak, but he'd....also be faking Grinch promo material?.......why? To make himself look legit?

Does anyone here seriously give a **** about the new Grinch movie and how it'll butcher the classic cartoon?

That seems ridiculously unnecessary.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I found this image randomly. A guy posted it, and someone found it on Discord. Apparently, EITHER the LEAK is REAL, or THE FAKER went through a lot of trouble.
Unless they have real Grinch material but faked the banner.

Idk, it just seems so good I don't want to be screwed over if it turns out fake.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Then when you move it you're left with a giant white gap in the background
That's the thing though, it's blurry. You can barely tell what most of the background even is

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh my gosh ! By lord Dark Schneider is it for real ? And Mach Rider holy guacamole

The final roster is here ? So could we have DLC then ?

With Incineroar, Steve, Black Shadow, and perharps some from my wish list below ?
Probably fake, thats waaaay to many newcomers to be expected on dec. 7

D

Deleted member

I haven't read the thread, but as far as I'm concerned, this leak is 100% legit. The more people try to debunk it, the more that comes up to further strengthen it. If there's one downside to it, it's that it kinda ruined tge surprise that's gonna be that reveal, but that aside, it all seems to check out and is very likely totally legit.

1540373992372.jpg
1540375679974.jpg

And so, henceforth I'll be dubbing this, "The Grinch Leak."

Because the printing company was also doing doing some Grinch lrints, and it lines up with him saving Xmas from those GODAWFUL Vergeben leaks.

If there's a lesson in this, it's to be skeptical of people claiming to have "insider info" just cause they guessed a few things right, be they LKD, Vergeben, Loz, or whoever. They're mostly doing that **** for attention. Hell, prior to E3, I guessed: Ken, Dark Samus, Shadow, K.Rool, Simon, and Banjo. If this leak is true (which at this point I think it's all but confirmed), I'm 6 for 6. I guess I should start telling you all how my friend who works for NoJ told me those characters would be in, right?

1540379214629.jpg

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If there is no new Pokemon, I'll eat a sock
I wish there was a spreadsheet to keep track of everyone's bet penalties. People doubling down on things makes this more fun to me.
This is how I gamble without money.

I'd definitely be positively surprised at this many newcomers, especially if they're all revealed in the span of a month or even less, despite Sakurai's comments on both roster size and reveal schedule.
We've had a lot of "Sakurai, the madman did it" moments but this one would take the cake by far.
I don't disagree it would totally seem like a huge contradiction, and it would even be a little jarring, but I'd probably just be like "ayyyye sakurai got us again what a dude" or something

It seems like half of the goal of Ultimate is to "take the cake" as it were.

Portal content confirmed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I haven't read the thread, but as far as I'm concerned, this leak is 100% legit. The more people try to debunk it, the more that comes up to further strengthen it. If there's one downside to it, it's that it kinda ruined tge surprise that's gonna be that reveal, but that aside, it all seems to check out and is very likely totally legit.

View attachment 171463View attachment 171464

Because the printing company was also doing doing some Grinch lrints, and it lines up with him saving Xmas from those GODAWFUL Vergeben leaks.

If there's a lesson in this, it's to be skeptical of people claiming to have "insider info" just cause they guessed a few things right, be they LKD, Vergeben, Loz, or whoever. They're mostly doing that **** for attention. Hell, prior to E3, I guessed: Ken, Dark Samus, Shadow, K.Rool, Simon, and Banjo. If this leak is true (which at this point I think it's all but confirmed), I'm 6 for 6. I guess I should start telling you all how my friend who works for NoJ told me those characters would be in, right?

View attachment 171465
Should it transpire that this leak is real, my heart will grow three sizes that day.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Even if it's fake, it's more fun to speculate on this than literally ANYTHING else we have for the last month.

"Why yes, I'd like to discuss box theory again." Said no one ever.
Psst, guess what, not talking about box theory and not pretending the newest fake leak is real aren't mutually exclusive. You can just not do either.
is that fact alone enough to invalidate the context behind this leak?
The fact that all leaks are fake is enough to invalidate the context behind yet another fake leak.
The funny thing is you're sighing and huffing and not a single person has entered 100 percent belief of this.

You're just trying to belittle people to appear bigger than them.
No. I'm just expressing my frustration about not being able to check the general discussion thread without having to wade through this constant HUGE WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY that is leak discussions.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

View attachment 171463

Dont forget the banner used in nintendo events before is on there too

Shroob

Sup?

View attachment 171463View attachment 171464

View attachment 171465
"Godawful Vergeben leaks"

And even still, Vergeben only missed a single character if this leak is legit, Incineroar.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's the other thing that makes me sit back and say "Huh?"

Not only would this guy be faking a Smash leak, but he'd....also be faking Grinch promo material?.......why? To make himself look legit?

Does anyone here seriously give a **** about the new Grinch movie and how it'll butcher the classic cartoon?

That seems ridiculously unnecessary.
In my honest opinion, if I want to see a modern version of the Grinch, I'll just rewatch the Jim Carrey version.

Any movie that uses the "Happy" song dates itself faster than limburger cheese.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
  • Inklings
  • Ridley
  • Simon Belmont
  • King K. Rool
  • Isabelle
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Geno
  • Isaac
  • Chorus Kids
  • Mach Rider
  • Daisy
  • Richter Belmont
  • Chrom
  • Dark Samus
  • Ken
  • Shadow
  • Ice Climbers
  • Pichu
  • Young Link
  • Snake
  • Squirtle
  • Ivysaur
  • Wolf
- The video game.
Quickest image-meme post I could find, ignore all the swords if you want to.

I think with a line-up like this, if anyone had doubts about Ultimate, they've vanished into the ether.

But with this, I think I might consider going on hiatus (once again)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The Grinch Stole Sakurai's Thunder.

Just hope we get to see trailers in a Direct and not in a leak.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I feel called out unintentionally because I've been literally betting against a Pokemon newcomer :laugh:
Though I agree, I think it's rather unlikely.

But most of all, and most importantly to me, not impossible.
I, too, originally thought we wouldn't get a Pokemon newcomer--since Pichu and Pokemon Trainer were returning and from Sakurai's words, returning veterans meant less newcomers. Doubted that, and then gave in that Incineroar was likely every since Verge. It's the one major thing, among other things like the amount, that makes me doubt this current leak.

That being said, when trying to recreate this roster in roster builder using my old one from 2 months ago, I'm surprised that it had the same number of characters (for a perfect 13x6 square), except I thought we were getting a whole lot of echos rather than unique newcomers. If this turns out to be true, my original guess was right in terms of number of newcomers, but not the proportion of unique/echoes.

Shroob

Sup?
Psst, guess what, not talking about box theory and not pretending the newest fake leak is real aren't mutually exclusive. You can just not do either.
The fact that all leaks are fake is enough to invalidate the context behind yet another fake leak.
No. I'm just expressing my frustration about not being able to check the general discussion thread without having to wade through this constant HUGE WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY that is leak discussions.

Hey, the leak thread got shut down, not our fault we have to discuss it here.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let's be honest, even with leaked characters, Sakurai is gonna find a way to make our jaws drop.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I wish there was a spreadsheet to keep track of everyone's bet penalties. People doubling down on things makes this more fun to me.
I once gambled that I'd change my avatar and Smash mains to something non-Yoshi, but I'm not particularly passionate about the final roster enough to make one again...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think it's crazy that we wouldn't get a Pokémon newcomer, in fact I was on this boat until Vergeben went all in on a Gen 7 Pokémon. There's not a single series that benefitted as much from Everyone Is Here as it did, and Ultimate's release is timed really awkwardly in that Gen 7 has been winding down for quite some time, but it's also too early for Gen 8.

Regardless of that, the lack of a perceived likely newcomer is never proof of a leak being fake or not.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Funny thing, bub?

Leaks are a part of general discussion.

And the even funnier thing is? Some of them are true!

Just because you don't like them or don't want to spend time investing in them, etc, etc, doesn't make any of that less true.

Especially when there's a chance that the real deal could show up and then of course that's what everyone is going to want to talk about.

What else are they going to talk about?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Now that I think about it, the model Sakurai bought could even have been for Ray who was supposedly cut.

Though I gotta wonder just how realistic it is that a Custom Robo character would have been included in the first place. The trademark didn't even get renewed.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Is it really that hard to do? I mean, I took a photoshop class in school and you learn how to select singular objects in pictures in the 101 class to move them
No, it's actually really easy for anybody with even a passing experience with Photoshop.

In my opinion, it's actually significantly easier to erase every character from the banner than it is to paint the new images to place on it. I'm not gonna do the entire image, cause I'd rather not spend an hour proving a point, but here I've erased Peach in about three minutes.

Any ugly bits in the paint job would get hidden by the tiny, overexposed photograph.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman

Just wanted to point out something I noticed, shamelessly stealing this picture from /v/:
  • The Zero/Gardevoir/KOS-MOS cloud has a totally different formation in the empty battlefield.
  • The area Ice Climbers are over is a lot darker in the filled battlefield.
  • The reds on the right hand side are completely different hues, and if I'm not mistaken, different shapes too.
Needless to say, I don't think the empty battlefield is real.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
There have been real leaks before, lol. Go back to GameFAQs if you're going to be that obstinate.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Let's be honest, even with leaked characters, Sakurai is gonna find a way to make our jaws drop.
I'm actually quite shocked that we haven't had any legitimate rumors concerning the new mode. I'm sure whatever's in there is going to knock our socks off (and then put them on only to knock them off again).

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Unless DLC was planned a bit more beforehand and our "Mewtwo reveal" is Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Isaac maybe and the two echoes splashing onto the banner. Then I think it could be the base roster

I don't disagree it would totally seem like a huge contradiction, and it would even be a little jarring, but I'd probably just be like "ayyyye sakurai got us again what a dude" or something

It seems like half of the goal of Ultimate is to "take the cake" as it were.

Portal content confirmed.
If Sakurai didn't say "We're gonna slow down reveals" in his Famitsu column, I would believe this one hundo p because he'd just outdo himself again or brace himself for unneccesarily high expectations with his "Not a lot of newcomers" comment in the E3 (like akin when he said "Brawl's roster size was kinda the max of what we could do without skewing balance")
But the comments he made recently would lean more towards intentive bamboozling than setting expectations a bit lower than he's gonna deliver.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I once gambled that I'd change my avatar and Smash mains to something non-Yoshi, but I'm not particularly passionate about the final roster enough to make one again...
I feel you.
Though, I'm hoping someone throws you a bone for DLC

I'm particularly interested this morning about this "leak", because this roster means I win quite a few of my bets AND the date in my signature is hilariously relevant again.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Just wanted to point out something I noticed, shamelessly stealing this picture from /v/:
  • The Zero/Gardevoir/KOS-MOS cloud has a totally different formation in the empty battlefield.
  • The area Ice Climbers are over is a lot darker in the filled battlefield.
  • The reds on the right hand side are completely different hues, and if I'm not mistaken, different shapes too.
Needless to say, I don't think the empty battlefield is real.
I think the clouds are being covered by Luigi's trail.
The background appears shifted so that the Ice Climbers are on the right hand side of the top image.
Can't say anything for the different hues other than standard photo taking ****ery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom