• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graizen

Smash Champion
>Digimon is more recongizable than Tekken and All Tales of games

Have you seen EVO? So much amazing **** involving Tekken have happened there, and it even showcased Maijn against those Korean dudes which was very hyped. And I still think that pokemon is more recognized than Digimon is, I don't think that kids today never heard of it before.
So what?
If you show a group of random people a picture of Agumon and a picture of Heihachi.
For sure alot of people will remember Agumon, and only a portion will know who Heihachi is.

Random people that don't even play Video Games knows Agumon.

Thats what it means to be recognizable.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
There's plenty of people who care about digimon, also can't deny that it once had a much larger fanbase. Some people in this thread hold it to a high regard too.
I'll be honest, since I've hopped into this thread I have seen only that one guy talk about Digimon while everyone ignores him because it's never adding to the discussion. That should be a clue as to where Digimon is now.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The ol' Graizen "they SHALL discuss Digimon" trick has worked again and we have fallen for it RIP
It's better than talking about the same characters ad nauseam. Generally I don't complain because people should feel free to talk about whoever they want. Whether it's Kencineroar, or Digimon. When it's Kencineroar, I just generally don't reply (because I have very little to say, and even fewer positive).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sonic the Hedgehog. Yes, this is very biased as I am in fact a long time Sonic fan, but it's faxx.
Anyways, I'd say the franchise seems pretty good, as it is the only third party with two stages, Knuckles as an Assist Trophy, and Shadow more than likely happening. I think Sonic is in a good spot. Though, I hope only having two more new/possibly returning songs isn't just it for the soundtrack, and my goodness Sakurai needs to give me Tails already.
Err, the topic was more of how you feel about the series itself, not about their representation in Smash.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Bandai Namco developed Smash with Sakurai, and developed Pokken.
Bandai developed every single Digimon game and Virtual Pet.
Digimon vs Pokémon is a legendary rivalry from the 90s.
Digimon is the third biggest Bandai Namco Franchise, losing only to Pac-man and Virtual Pets.
Digimon have 13 Games on Nintendo Consoles.
Digimon Universe have a Game on 3DS from 2017 and Digimon Survive will be on the Switch in 2019.
Digimon is also much more recognizable than Tekken and all Tales of games.

Say again why Digimon is not the best choice from all the Bandai Namco franchises?
Because of your obsession for it. I'd love for a Digimon to make the game, but dude, your obsession for this is getting out of hand. Take a break from the forms or something and try to idk....focus on something that's NOT Digimon for a change?

Hell if I want a Digimon, I'd pick Gatomon

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It's better than talking about the same characters ad nauseam. Generally I don't complain because people should feel free to talk about whoever they want. Whether it's Kencineroar, or Digimon. When it's Kencineroar, I just generally don't reply (because I have very little to say, and even fewer positive).
Other threads exist outside of this
Such as a thread for discussing other games
So I do think discussing the characters is better for this specific thread

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Here's something I thought would be interesting to discuss:
What is your favorite franchise in Smash represented with at least one playable character, and what are your opinions of that franchise in its current state? My favorite series is Pokemon, and honestly, it's kind of difficult to be a fan of it now. I really dislike the direction that the franchise has gone in lately. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee look absolutely terrible. The graphics look like they came straight from a mobile phone game. Mew is stuck to a $50 peripheral, so if you haven't gotten one yet, you're screwed. There's no Cloud Save compatibility. The moves have such half-***** animations. They couldn't even get Blastoise to fire water out of its cannons. The director, Masuda, constantly makes up lousy excuses for why certain features are left out or made worse. Those are just a few of my gripes with the games, but I have honestly never wanted a Pokemon game to fail as much as it has now. The worst part is that so many apologists of the games try to shut down all dissent and criticism, as if GameFreak can do no wrong. Earlier, there was one guy who compared critics of LGPE to freaking BRONIES. It's just... ugh, I can't. Sorry for complaining so much. Regardless, though, I still love Pokemon and am really looking forward to using the Pokemon Trainer in Ultimate, especially Leaf and Ivysaur.
The Mother series. Current state: Dead. Feelings about it: It's great as is; still love it to death.

Well that was easy...

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
So what?
I love when people make up facts like this. Have you ever gone around showing people pictures of Agumon? How do you know?
Not trying to sound mean, but I really doubt your average non-gamers would recognize him.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Because of your obsession for it. I'd love for a Digimon to make the game, but dude, your obsession for this is getting out of hand. Take a break from the forms or something and try to idk....focus on something that's NOT Digimon for a change?

Hell if I want a Digimon, I'd pick Gatomon
What, you talked about Digimon today?
How!? Alone?

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Dude, you’ve posted stuff like this before. Check. Your. Information. Before. You. Post.
Loz NEVER said half those characters. Please for the love of god, check your information before you post things like this.
I know my information is true.. Oh its true, its damn true!!

I don't remember any of this coming from loz18 (except Skull Kid) :S
Must be his personal fav since he talked about him the most.. He also mentioned King K Rool and look what happened, oh and Ridley and Belmont as well.. I probably would have disregarded his info if the characters were idiotic like some of these fakes but the characters he mentioned in his leak made perfect sense.. So lets see what happens, I hope these last characters are good.. Im not interested in idiotic characters.. Bad enough we have to have a spot wasted on a Pokemon, if its not Incineroar than yes it would be something idiotic.

Last edited:

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Is it weird that, for as much as I admire the fan community for Mother and all the w/o they've done, I refuse to play Mother 3 until there's an official translation?
Yes? If you care about the game, you should play it ASAP. I guess by now you've already been spoiled on it since it's been available so long, but it's really worth experiencing on your own. Nintendo could very well never localize it.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
So what?
If you show a group of random people a picture of Agumon and a picture of Heihachi.
For sure alot of people will remember Agumon, and only a portion will know who Heihachi is.

Thats what it means to be recognizable.
>show a group of random people a picture of Agumon and a picture of Heihachi
>claims that alot of people will remember Agumon WHEN they never play Digimon in their life, while people will likely heard of Heihachi due to Tekken arcade.

Sounds like you tried to be defensive about how "recognizable" Digimon is, CLEARLY today's kids never heard of it before. Where in the ****ing world is your evidences that digimon is more recognizable than other bandai namco games?

Graizen

Smash Champion
Not in 2018 they don't.
So lets see...
Digimon Started in 1997.
Thats 21 years ago!
The people that talked about Digimon 21 years ago, are alive today! (Not everyone, but the majority)
And for your surprise, they remember Digimon! And Talk about it! Ohhhhh!

Please.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Bandai Namco developed Smash with Sakurai, and developed Pokken.
Bandai developed every single Digimon game and Virtual Pet.
Digimon vs Pokémon is a legendary rivalry from the 90s.
Digimon is the third biggest Bandai Namco Franchise, losing only to Pac-man and Virtual Pets.
Digimon have 13 Games on Nintendo Consoles.
Digimon Universe have a Game on 3DS from 2017 and Digimon Survive will be on the Switch in 2019.
Digimon is also much more recognizable than Tekken and all Tales of games.

Say again why Digimon is not the best choice from all the Bandai Namco franchises?
The thing with Bandai-Namco is that (IMO) they don't really have a franchise that's universally notable like Mario/Pokemon/Sonic. Yeah there's Pac-Man, but he's more remembered for.. you know being Pac-Man, not really for his franchise (plus he's already in Smash).

From my perspective, the best / most logical franchises to include from Bandai are Xenosaga, Tales, Tekken, Digimon and Soul Calibur. But not one really has an advantage over the other. A rep from each franchise will excite their fanbases, but I'm sure there will be people, regardless of franchise, that will have absolute no idea where a Bandai character comes from.

This is all kind of ironic since Bandai is actually the one developing the games, yet they're the only 3rd party company that doesn't have a second rep (Square also, but at this point I think most people can agree that we're get a new Square rep at SOME point).

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I know my information is true.. Oh its true, its damn true!!

Must be his personal fav since he talked about him the most.. He also mentioned King K Rool and look what happened, oh and Ridley and Belmont as well.. I probably would have disregarded his info if the characters were idiotic like some of these fakes but the characters he mentioned in his leak made perfect sense.. So lets see what happens, I hope these last characters are good.. Im not interested in idiotic characters.. Bad enough we have to have a spot wasted on a Pokemon, if its not Incineroar than yes it would be something idiotic.
If it's true, then prove it.

It's your word versus literally everyone else's who have never seen Loz say what you claim.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Here's something interesting I found out about Ike. Aether doesn't clip through the ledge anymore, it seems. Eh, not that important compared to other things though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is it weird that, for as much as I admire the fan community for Mother and all the w/o they've done, I refuse to play Mother 3 until there's an official translation?
Yeah it is pretty weird.

I could understand if you're not a fan of RPGs or of Mother, but if the only thing stopping you from playing a franchise is the official Nintendo seal of approval, that's pretty dumb. You're basically depriving yourself of an experience you'll probably enjoy for a pretty arbitrary reason.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So if Graizen is considered “that Digimon Guy”, and Zinith is considered “that Yoshi Guy”...

What’s my nickname guys?

I want to make nicknames for everyone now.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
>show a group of random people a picture of Agumon and a picture of Heihachi
>claims that alot of people will remember Agumon WHEN they never play Digimon in their life, while people will likely heard of Heihachi due to Tekken arcade.

Sounds like you tried to be defensive about how "recognizable" Digimon is, CLEARLY today's kids never heard of it before. Where in the ****ing world is your evidences that digimon is more recognizable than other bandai namco games?

Yeah , just like Duck Hunt Dog!
All the Kids in 2018 know about him! Thats why he is in Smash!

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Yes? If you care about the game, you should play it ASAP. I guess by now you've already been spoiled on it since it's been available so long, but it's really worth experiencing on your own. Nintendo could very well never localize it.
I basically know the gist of the story, spoilers and all. It's just a weird hang up of mine, I admit. Im also pretty sure, one day, it will be localized. One day.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The moment you seriously say "no one cares about x" is the moment you start speaking lunacy.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
loz18 only mentioned Skull Kid and what was in the E3 demo.

Simon came from Vergeben, no one leaked K. Rool; Verg asked loz18 about "no new DK characters" among other things because he felt off about it, and loz18 said he didn't believe it.

And what characters are "idiotic" is entirely subjective.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
So lets see...
Digimon Started in 1997.
Thats 21 years ago!
The people that talked about Digimon 21 years ago, are alive today! (Not everyone, but the majority)
And for your surprise, they remember Digimon! And Talk about it! Ohhhhh!

Please.
There were a lot of things around 21 years ago that aren't talked about anymore. Just because something has been around for 21 years doesn't mean everyone alive for the last 21 years remembers it.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Here's something I thought would be interesting to discuss:
What is your favorite franchise in Smash represented with at least one playable character, and what are your opinions of that franchise in its current state? My favorite series is Pokemon, and honestly, it's kind of difficult to be a fan of it now. I really dislike the direction that the franchise has gone in lately. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee look absolutely terrible. The graphics look like they came straight from a mobile phone game. Mew is stuck to a $50 peripheral, so if you haven't gotten one yet, you're screwed. There's no Cloud Save compatibility. The moves have such half-***** animations. They couldn't even get Blastoise to fire water out of its cannons. The director, Masuda, constantly makes up lousy excuses for why certain features are left out or made worse. Those are just a few of my gripes with the games, but I have honestly never wanted a Pokemon game to fail as much as it has now. The worst part is that so many apologists of the games try to shut down all dissent and criticism, as if GameFreak can do no wrong. Earlier, there was one guy who compared critics of LGPE to freaking BRONIES. It's just... ugh, I can't. Sorry for complaining so much. Regardless, though, I still love Pokemon and am really looking forward to using the Pokemon Trainer in Ultimate, especially Leaf and Ivysaur.
I'm going to have to go with the Mario series being my favorite, as I've been a fan of it ever since I started playing video games. The main games have always been a blast to play, and I have loads of fun with a lot of the side games, most notably Mario Kart. Peach was my favorite character to play as in Super Mario Bros. 2, and I think that is where my gravitation towards her came from, as I basically mained her throughout every spinoff game I could play as her.

Mario also got me into RPGs with Super Mario RPG being my first one, so I definitely have a lot of love for the game. It's why I would love the idea of Geno being playable in Ultimate as well, as I'd greatly enjoy some themed teams involving Mario, Geno, Bowser and Peach, even if I primarily stuck with Peach and Geno (whom I preferred most in SMRPG anyway). Plus, I still enjoy playing the newest 3D Mario adventures to this day, and Odyssey was among my top games of last year, and a serious contender for my favorite 3D platformer of all time.

Mario has introduced me to two of my favorite genres, with Platformers and RPGs; The fact that Smash is a Platform-Fighter essentially keeps me connected with my childhood, and it is as such that the Mario series is one I love to death. :love:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
If it's true, then prove it.

It's your word versus literally everyone else's who have never seen Loz say what you claim.
My word vs the people? Dont make me laugh, the people never matter and I couldnt care less about their word... Because Im the best in the world at what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom