• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I agree, but it loops back around to "What do they have to gain" as well.

Yeah, Cloud's "Mister RPG" and iconic, but he's also perfect brand marketing, especially since FF7 remake is coming.... maybe before the heat death of the universe?

Geno's.....a party member from a single game, and had a cameo in one other game.

They have nothing to lose, but they also have very little to gain at the same time.
True, and I think if I were to work for SE, I'd probably choose a different character to rep the company alongside Cloud since SE's legacy is huge.

I guess it just depends on how badly they want that sweet Smash moolah... :p

Noipoi

Howdy!
Square both has nothing to lose, but not much to gain by allowing Geno to be in Smash.

I guess it's up to what decision they felt was best at that moment.

I hope it's the one that makes me and a lot of others really happy.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I agree, but it loops back around to "What do they have to gain" as well.

Yeah, Cloud's "Mister RPG" and iconic, but he's also perfect brand marketing, especially since FF7 remake is coming.... maybe before the heat death of the universe?

Geno's.....a party member from a single game, and had a cameo in one other game.

They have nothing to lose, but they also have very little to gain at the same time.
They'll gain something... My heart.

beans

Smash Lord
I actualy dont see Geno making it in
Before any argument of "Square doesnt use him so why not"
If Geno released as DLC, with a part of the money going to Square, how many people would actualy buy this really niche character from this SNES RPG. At most his fans (wich are quite big in numbers, I give you that), completionists who want the entire rooster and some random buyer that just goes "I dunno why i shouldnt"
They would get more fans to buy the DLC if it was a less niche character, like Squall, Tidus, Noctis.
TL;DR: Square: "Who will sell more? A niche character from the SNES or any character that we have used in the past decade? Thats quite a conundrum"

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I cant wait for Ken to be a unique fighter like Isabelle and all the salt thatll bring in

(I REALLY hope ken makes it in somehow)

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yes
Shadow
Ken
Even Dixie Kong
Dixie's been a little slept on when it comes to obvious echoes.

Of course you have the power couple of Incineorar and Ken, just waiting to be confirmed.

And Geno with the best chance he's had in years.

And then there's Shadow who i'm confident will be an echo if there's more than two characters left.

But then there's Dixie, who doesn't get brought up too much recently. I wonder why...

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
hey, don't blame the messenger
blame tetsuya nomura
Don't blame him either. He has noted that the remake was announced way too early. Square Enix just decided to get it out of the way because they were afraid of leaks.

Also he stated that he's wanted to share news on the project, but Square Enix insists saving it for later. That's not even mentioning he only learned he was in charge of the project when it revealed at E3.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Geno released as DLC, with a part of the money going to Square, how many people would actualy buy this really niche character from this SNES RPG. At most his fans (wich are quite big in numbers, I give you that), completionists who want the entire rooster and some random buyer that just goes "I dunno why i shodnt"
They would get more fans to buy the DLC if it was a less niche character, like Squall, Tidus, Noctis.
TL;DR: Square: "Who will sell more? A nchie character from the SNES or any character that we have used in the past decade? Thats quite a conundrum"
He'll make money either because DLC bundles, or Smash Bros. profits if he's in base.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
If Geno released as DLC, with a part of the money going to Square, how many people would actualy buy this really niche character from this SNES RPG. At most his fans (wich are quite big in numbers, I give you that), completionists who want the entire rooster and some random buyer that just goes "I dunno why i shouldnt"
TL;DR: Square: "Who will sell more? A niche character from the SNES or any character that we have used in the past decade? Thats quite a conundrum"
I mean I can't say I'm a big fan of Geno by any means, but they did expect people to buy Corrin as DLC so...

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If they can get away with putting Sora in a onesie for the first game, they can find some way to roll a heart up and smoke it.
I always knew Kingdom Hearts was a joint.

Nomura, your impeccable storytelling and use of symbolism astounds me to this day.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I always knew Kingdom Hearts was a joint.

Namoura, your impeccable storytelling and use of symbolism astounds me to this day.
You joke but I mean if someone had told me that before I sat down and studied the story I would have believed them.

...I still would.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We really are underestimating the PR factor.

"Square Enix happily allows underdog, long-wanted candidate into Smash Bros" sounds good to me.
Nah, more like "Sakurai does the impossible and manages to get Geno from greedy corporate Square Enix!"

Don't know about you, but I rarely ever see "Thanks to the companies that gave Nintendo their characters!" threads or comments.

Plus, unless you're Itsuno from Devil May Cry fame, it's pretty hard to determine exactly what companies think.
Literally everyone will sell.
It's smash. Most people want the full roster.
People will buy full price echoes and be happy all the same. Heck, if they made a playable sandbag that couldn't actually do anything, you know people will buy it all the same.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
MFW people say that Geno won’t get in just because of this one fake leak getting disproven.

View attachment 170989
Honestly, the fact that I haven't seen a single person even say that so far is pretty assuring to me.

In fact, most of the extremes I've seen are from the Geno support side, haha.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Square both has nothing to lose, but not much to gain by allowing Geno to be in Smash.

I guess it's up to what decision they felt was best at that moment.

I hope it's the one that makes me and a lot of others really happy.
Except money. Lots and lots of money.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Dixie's been a little slept on when it comes to obvious echoes.

Of course you have the power couple of Incineorar and Ken, just waiting to be confirmed.

And Geno with the best chance he's had in years.

And then there's Shadow who i'm confident will be an echo if there's more than two characters left.

But then there's Dixie, who doesn't get brought up too much recently. I wonder why...
Dixie is super likely since Diddy's tail jab is taken out and his pink alt hasn't been seen yet. All they need to do to Dixie is give her Donkey Kong's up-B and a bubblegum pop gun, and boom. She's implemented perfectly.

NineS

Smash Lord
Don't blame him either. He has noted that the remake was announced way too early. Square Enix just decided to get it out of the way because they were afraid of leaks.

Also he stated that he's wanted to share news on the project, but Square Enix insists saving it for later. That's not even mentioning he only learned he was in charge of the project when it revealed at E3.
I think putting him in charge of both Kingdom Hearts III and the FFVII remake didn't help either.

I would like to add that Nomura has been Norted. I'm surprised he doesn't sympathize with Sora.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Geno gets in
"BUT I THOUGHT SQUEENIX WOULDN'T DO THIIIIIIS"

Geno doesn't get in
"SQUEENIX COULD HAVE GAINED SOMETHING FROM THIS"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Geno gets in
"BUT I THOUGHT SQUEENIX WOULDN'T DO THIIIIIIS"

Geno doesn't get in
"SQUEENIX COULD HAVE GAINED SOMETHING FROM THIS"
Wait...
Wait a second...
Are you...
No.wait....

Are you implying that there people with different opinions?
NON SENSE!

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Dixie is super likely since Diddy's tail jab is taken out and his pink alt hasn't been seen yet. All they need to do to Dixie is give her Donkey Kong's up-B and a bubblegum pop gun, and boom. She's implemented perfectly.
Ehhhhhhh. Only issue I have with "just give Dixie DK's Up-B" is that's not how she flies, it's much closer to how Tiny Kong flies.

beans

Smash Lord
Nah, more like "Sakurai does the impossible and manages to get Geno from greedy corporate Square Enix!"

Don't know about you, but I rarely ever see "Thanks to the companies that gave Nintendo their characters!" threads or comments.

Plus, unless you're Itsuno from Devil May Cry fame, it's pretty hard to determine exactly what companies think.

Literally everyone will sell.
It's smash. Most people want the full roster.
People will buy full price echoes and be happy all the same. Heck, if they made a playable sandbag that couldn't actually do anything, you know people will buy it all the same.
To quote myself "...completionists who want the entire rooster..."
Its not about who sells, its about who would sell more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom