• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm sorry for starting this arguement.

Thank you for putting words in my mouth everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
The Thing about Captain Toad, is that he is not just another non-jumping character.
He is *the* character who cannot Jump.
Consider this: Mario, aka Jumpman, has always had wide screen, scrolling, environments, from which he utilizes his ability to jump to physically get to his destination, even utilizing the same movement, the Jump, as his primary means of attacking enemies.

Captain Toad, antithesis of Jumpman, explores contained environments and overcomes his inability to jump by utilizing his brain to solve puzzles and reach his goal.

Not being able to jump is just part of gameplay to other characters. To Captain Toad, it is a founding principle to the play of his games, and maybe even the very most thing that makes him unique.
This is how I feel aswell. I would like to see Captain Toad in Smash, but him being able to jump (or at the very least, double jump) really defeats the main focus of his character and playstyle.

I feel like he'd be a lot of fun if he were a low mobility character with a lot of area control on the ground. He could also just simply use his recovery in place of jumping, if they wanted to design him around that.

Yeah that's the plan
Reminds me of the fan game Super Mario War... I'm sad it hasn't really been touched in forever, it's a lot of fun to break out on the Wii homebrew.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Uh... how about we segway into most wanted new third party characters?

Rayman is mine. Most wanted character overall this time for me. I'd also love to see Simon Belmont.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Do you not know what a cult icon is? It's something that while big? Not everyone is going to know her. She has most certainly reached that status.

Icon does not always equal up to mega-watt. I'm not in any way saying she's as iconic as the other third parties or even Mario, Link and Pikachu who I'd consider to be Nintendo's big three.

Yet she has a quite sizable fanbase that is much larger than some of the Nintendo franchises not represented that people call for being represented, etc, etc.
I just find it funny that so many people who call Bayonetta a nobody then immediately say someone like, say, K. Rool, was robbed...when his own series has all but abandoned him and most people just see Donkey Kong as a Mario offshoot anyway.

I love K. Rool as much as the next guy, but come on, folks. Have some self-awareness. :p

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'm surprised to see so many people not care about 8-Player Smash here. I thought that mode was an excellent addition. Maybe it's because I'm the only one here with more than 3 friends :troll:

Just kidding. I have no friends.
I played 8 player Smash probably a total of 10 times (with the full 8 player count). I was SO hyped for it. Each time, my friends hated it. People had a hard time telling what was going on, controllers seemed to not respond as well (that could have just been psychological, but several people felt that they had a lot more input lag and had a harder time controlling their character) and it seemed like the knockback was increased as well. So it was one of those modes that was only fun for 1-2 rounds, then people wanted to go back to 4 player Smash. I was actually really bummed out about it.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Shovel Knight is absolutely my no contest most wanted 3rd party character, if not most wanted overall.

He's pretty much begging to be a Smash character. I don't feel like I've ever seen another non-platform fighter character that would be so easy to make movesets of.

Even custom moves he has so many options for, it's ridiculous just how well he'd fit.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Nice to see people still immediately assume you dislike something because you criticize said thing on the internet.

Anyhow...

Most wanted 3rd party newcomer?
Can't decide between Crash, Simon Belmont and Bomberman.

EDIT: Never mind. Somehow I forgot about banjo & kazooie. I make them my most wanted newcomers. Though they have less chance than the aforementioned three.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace

Rayman is mine. Most wanted character overall this time for me. I'd also love to see Simon Belmont.
I think Crash and Banjo+Kazooie would do the most for me. Snake is always welcome back. I'm open to Shovel Knight. After that there's a lot of characters I like but they aren't at the same level.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just find it funny that so many people who call Bayonetta a nobody then immediately say someone like, say, K. Rool, was robbed...when his own series has all but abandoned him and most people just see Donkey Kong as a Mario offshoot anyway.

I love K. Rool as much as the next guy, but come on, folks. Have some self-awareness. :p
I was personally talking about series like Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Chibi-Robo, Advance Wars, Pushmo, Panel De Pon, etc.

Like while it's perfectly fine to want any and all franchises to be represented to say that Bayonetta who is in the current gaming spotlight a lot, if not necessarily mega-watt famous she is certainly certainly in a better off place than any of those franchises above and the characters people call for from them.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I played 8 player Smash probably a total of 10 times (with the full 8 player count). I was SO hyped for it. Each time, my friends hated it. People had a hard time telling what was going on, controllers seemed to not respond as well (that could have just been psychological, but several people felt that they had a lot more input lag and had a harder time controlling their character) and it seemed like the knockback was increased as well. So it was one of those modes that was only fun for 1-2 rounds, then people wanted to go back to 4 player Smash. I was actually really bummed out about it.
I find that in my circle of locals, Smash works up until five, MAYBE six players. The more skilled the players on screen, the fewer the players their needs to be.

D

Deleted member

I'll give a cookie to whoever guesses my most wanted 3rd Party character.

Morbi

Scavenger
My most wanted third-party character is Goku. And realistically, it is going to happen. He is the only third-party character that is going to top Cloud, so it is inevitable. :cool:

D

Deleted member

Wait, I actually want Snake more than Crash. Forgot him cuz he's a veteran.
Phoenix Wright and Shovel Knight are also high up there for me. Rayman too, but admittedly less than he used to be.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wait, I actually want Snake more than Crash. Forgot him cuz he's a veteran.
Phoenix Wright and Shovel Knight are also high up there for me. Rayman too, but admittedly less than he used to be.
Rayman was a character I sort of bandwagon-ed on because I thought he had relatively good chances. I guess he is actually quite likely now. It is not as though I would be disgusted, but with Crash more or less serving a similar purpose, that is obviously my preference.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Crash Bandicoot for me, easily.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My most iconic 3rd party want that I know I'll never get is Lara Croft.

And not modern Lara Croft. I want PS1 era Lara Croft in the way she looked in Anniversary or similar.

But even if Sakurai considered her I'm not sure Square Enix wouldn't try to push modern era Lara on him.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The Thing about Captain Toad, is that he is not just another non-jumping character.
He is *the* character who cannot Jump.
Consider this: Mario, aka Jumpman, has always had wide screen, scrolling, environments, from which he utilizes his ability to jump to physically get to his destination, even utilizing the same movement, the Jump, as his primary means of attacking enemies.

Captain Toad, antithesis of Jumpman, explores contained environments and overcomes his inability to jump by utilizing his brain to solve puzzles and reach his goal.

Not being able to jump is just part of gameplay to other characters. To Captain Toad, it is a founding principle to the play of his games, and maybe even the very most thing that makes him unique.
Yeah but non-jumping, game-design wise, is the means to achieve gameplay where you have to explore and use your brain to get to the goal instead of using mobility to easily clear it.

In Smash, this could translate to more than just "no jumps", like weird mobility in general.
Whereas Mario can approach by running and jumping, Captain Toad would need his devices to reliably get around the stage.

The goal, the anti-thesis between Mario and Captain Toad, can be achieved without a gameplay-reasoned hard limit

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

For third parties in general, Snake, but since he's not new, it's a tough call between Rayman, Shovel Knight, Doomguy, and Travis Touchdown for me. I'd like to see them all in, but for wildly different reasons.

Morbi

Scavenger
My most wanted third party character is Phoenix Wright, love those games :D
I love his games as well; however, he is one of those characters that I personally believe should stay in his lane. I thought I would love him in MvCU. It was creative, I guess. But I learned my lesson from that.
What? How did you figure it out?

But for real, it's not just her, there's a certain someone else from a Square RPG and he looks like Goku

Now that's just cheating
Vegeta?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I was personally talking about series like Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Chibi-Robo, Advance Wars, Pushmo, Panel De Pon, etc.

Like while it's perfectly fine to want any and all franchises to be represented to say that Bayonetta who is in the current gaming spotlight a lot, if not necessarily mega-watt famous she is certainly certainly in a better off place than any of those franchises above and the characters people call for from them.
Put it also together that most people must had also voted for the characters from those franchises as well in the Ballot. Yet out of them came Bayonetta as the winner. I think that should tell a big ton of something.

I think this kind of criticism on Bayonetta's victory on the ballot is something I find not only pointless, but also bit petty. Whether or not she was niche, she's earned her way to be in the game - at this point we should be respecting that, whether or not any of you consider her as "mega-watt famous" as other gaming icons.

I'm sorry for starting this arguement.

Thank you for putting words in my mouth everyone.
Eh, it takes a whole crew to tango here, so if you can, don't dwell on it for long. :dr^_^:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'know on second thought I want to see this as some of my best friends love Fate and Saber still looks more tasteful than Pyra despite coming from a hentai game
The distasteful Fate designs actually come from the mobile game(and Apocrypha, in Jack's case). And even then it's not that bad. Lancer Artoria, who has gigantic bouncy bouncies still wears a proper chestplate and not a breastplate.

The only reason it was even an eroge VN was because Nasu knew that was the only way to sell it.
Artoria wears full armor, Medea has a bunch of robes and Medusa just has big boobolos

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm over that.
Just bothers me that an arguement started because of my half-joke post.
Then follow the Elsa memed road, dude: let it go.

My most wanted third party character is still Carmen Sandiego.
Meaning, it would somehow give me the most hype.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Most wanted 3rd party character? Can I just keep Ryu? Does that count?

(Low-key want Ken to be in as a clone character. I'd accept an alt costume as well.)

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
My thoughts on the ballot (pure speculation):
1- I think they really wanted it to be a third party character
2- They needed that third party character to be easy to sign on (meaning, legally already cleared)
3- This lead to only current third party companys' characters being considered.
4- Of these, Bayonetta was the top choice from a new franchise.
this exactly couldnt have said it better. I would only add that she was also human shaped and from a developmental point of view thats easy to prevent clipping on stages and when holding items etc... since many other characters have a similar look, also she didnt have a drastically bizarre fighting style like say inkling inking up the stage would have, that would be difficult to implement if the game itself wasnt built with it in mind.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Rayman's my no.1 too for 3rd Party reps currently.

Others are bit all over the place - while I like Shovel Knight and see the sheer versatility and unique potential on him, personal preference would be on Rayman anyway due having been longer and Ubisoft having good ties to Nintendo lately.
Crash is very nostalgic since my childhood, but I dunno if I bank on him as much - though I'd also love to see him.

Aside from that, IDK who else I can see there. Much like @Freduardo, I'd totally love me some Bonk, but he's gone extinct since supposed Wiiware-days. Wishful thinking.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Honestly don't really want any. Smash 4 had way too many 3rd Parties in my opinion, and I'm not a fan of adding even more.

If they trimmed down the number though, I'll admit that Banjo & Kazooie or Bomberman would be pretty cool.

But counting veterans, all I'd like to see return would be Sonic.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
As far as keeping old 3rd parties goes, I genuinely hope they all stay.

Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Sonic at the very least I would be devastated if were removed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom