• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The press have a bad habit to leak Nintendo Games tho- especially the Pokemon games like XY and S/M so who knows.
But I don't think there going to be anything leakable for that Smash. I truly hope we will know everything before the reviews copy start flying around
I'm almost positive X/Y was leaked by a BRAVE AND NOBLE Canadian who managed to snag a copy pre-street-release.

Shroob

Sup?
I have a hard time imagining that the game hasn't gone gold at this point.

There's only 50 days until release... Unless they're cutting it close, it either has gone or is on the verge of going gold.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Looks extremely legit. :,)
This is clearly fake. The Luminary isn’t even in the same style as everyone else. He kinda clashes and is a bit of an eyesore really lol. I really want a Dragon Quest character in Smash but please not this guy. It has to be Erdrick or Eight.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
That 100 video game medley posted on the main page is sick

When comparing the music in the medley to the music available in Ultimate it again shows of how big of a crossover SSBU really is

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm almost positive X/Y was leaked by a BRAVE AND NOBLE Canadian who managed to snag a copy pre-street-release.
Yeah, I remember sitting up all night on Serebii while waiting for the one or two people who had a copy to progress through the game and discover new Pokémon, great times.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
They said why. This time around, he wanted all the Zelda characters to be from different parts of the franchise.
Except Young Link still takes wayyy more influence from Ocarina of Time than Majora’s Mask, so I’m inclined to say that’s not as a hard rule as much as a neat idea Sakurai played around with for the Zelda characters.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Except Young Link still takes wayyy more influence from Ocarina of Time than Majora’s Mask, so I’m inclined to say that’s not as a hard rule as much as a neat idea Sakurai played around with for the Zelda characters.
You say that but Young Link probably has a fierce deity final smash

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
One of those Zelda characters should've been based on Skyward Sword...

Maybe Impa :yoshi:
Nintendo probably wouldn't agree. The sales for Skyward sword are the lowest of all the Zelda games (and I don't think that many people liked it). Having a character in the Twilight princess style would appeal to the zelda fans more.

Fun fact apparently phantom hourglass sold more than skyward sword (I prefer phantom hourglass but it surprised me considering SS is a main console game)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Is there actually discussion or a general consensus where we might see a charadter includes in the character mural if they were not all rearranged in order to make the character fit? Like any spaces or openings that logical make sense?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Nintendo probably wouldn't agree. The sales for Skyward sword are the lowest of all the Zelda games (and I don't think that many people liked it). Having a character in the Twilight princess style would appeal to the zelda fans more.

Fun fact apparently phantom hourglass sold more than skyward sword (I prefer phantom hourglass but it surprised me considering SS is a main console game)
Twilight Princess is my least favorite 3D Zelda

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

The DS had a user base over 50 million greater.

Skyward Sword may be the lowest selling console Zelda but it's not the worst selling Zelda game. That would actually be Minish Cap from the sales figures I've seen.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Twilight Princess is my least favorite 3D Zelda
Same, it was boring and if you don't get into the story straight away you're not going to enjoy the game

Skyward Sword may be the lowest selling console Zelda but it's not the worst selling Zelda game. That would actually be Minish Cap from the sales figures I've seen.
Which is weird for me because Minish Cap was my favourite 2D zelda game (I loved all the capcom games)

also Skyward Sword was on the best selling console at the time (or at least the most owned) so it should have done much better than it did, something went wrong.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Also I wouldn't call Skyward Sword a failure in any reasonable measure. If Nintendo wanted to brush it under the rug, it wouldn't have been heavily referenced in Hyrule Warriors, the Skyloft stage in Smash and even the Fi reference in freakin' Breath of the Wild

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Skyward Sword's biggest problem (besides the wonky controls) was how linear it was. Besides that - great dungeons, great bosses, great characters, emotional story, etc.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

As a Minish Cap fan, this makes me sad....
I'm not too surprised on Phantom Hourglass though, despite It's reception, I recall it selling quite well. (At least well enough to get a sequel)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Also I wouldn't call Skyward Sword a failure in any reasonable measure. If Nintendo wanted to brush it under the rug, it wouldn't have been heavily referenced in Hyrule Warriors, the Skyloft stage in Smash and even the Fi reference in freakin' Breath of the Wild
Its sales figures aren't even that far off numerous other titles in the series. It even outperforms Majora's Mask is you just count the N64 release.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Skyward Sword has Fi so it factually cannot be bad.
I feel like you and me are remembering a different game, Fi was the worst companion i've ever had in a game fullstop. She was a fine character but because of all her 'assistance' the game is VERY hard to pick up and play again.

Skyward Sword's biggest problem (besides the wonky controls) was how linear it was. Besides that - great dungeons, great bosses, great characters, emotional story, etc.
The bosses weren't that good, besides the golden statue dude all the bosses where obvious to kill and were not in any way unique, they also took a lot of hits when you just had to do the same thing over and over (also I hate the scorpion because of the game controls).
The characters were different for zelda, however minus link and zelda I'd say all (most after Oot) the other games had more likeable characters and better villains.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I feel like you and me are remembering a different game, Fi was the worst companion i've ever had in a game fullstop. She was a fine character but because of all her 'assistance' the game is VERY hard to pick up and play again.

The bosses weren't that good, besides the golden statue dude all the bosses where obvious to kill and were not in any way unique, they also took a lot of hits when you just had to do the same thing over and over (also I hate the scorpion because of the game controls).
The characters were different for zelda, however minus link and zelda I'd say all (most after Oot) the other games had more likeable characters and better villains.
Gotta disagree. Ghirahim is one of the series best villains by far. And Impa and Groose are great supporting characters. And I don't think the bosses were repetitive, besides Ghirahim, and he was supposed to be, since he made you fight more advanced with your sword.

But I agree about Fi. She was the worst. And I loathed her every time I was low on batteries. I guess cuz of that I included her with the wonky controls rather than the characters :p

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I shouldn't have to type /s after something so obviously sarcastic.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
SS is one of my favourite Zelda games, particularly from a story telling POV. The controls weren't great, sure, but what annoyed me most was the it reminded you what each item was every time you loaded the game haha.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Gotta disagree. Ghirahim is one of the series best villains by far. And Impa and Groose are great supporting characters. And I don't think the bosses were repetitive, besides Ghirahim, and he was supposed to be, since he made you fight more advanced with your sword.

But I agree about Fi. She was the worst. And I loathed her every time I was low on batteries. I guess cuz of that I included her with the wonky controls rather than the characters :p
I did enjoy Ghirahim as a character, however compared to the other villains in other games;
  • Ganondorf: A man with a valid reason for taking over Hyrule, method behind madness (in wind waker his character was greatly improved)
  • Vaati: The great wind mage in the four swords titles (EDIT) he has lost his humanity and causes great unrest in Hyrule after kidnapping the 7 maidens (EDIT). However in Minish Cap Vaati has a backstory and he becomes a 'relatable' villain (also hella fun to fight)
  • Skull Kid (Majoras Mask): Probably one of the best villains to come out of a Zelda game, originally just trying to make friend uses the mask just to play tricks. But the Mask itself is just plain old evil, no reason, no explaination and its great.
  • Onox: pretty much an Iron Knuckle, fun to fight, He abducts Din to disrupt the four seasons and cause chaos in Holodrum all to light the Flame of Destruction, one of two flames needed to resurrect Ganon.
  • Veran: Abducts/possesses Nayru and goes back in time, changes the past causing the people of Labrynna great Sorrow. This is all done so that the Flame of Sorrow is lit the other flame needed to bring back Ganon.
  • Ganon: The foulest form of evil, and possessor of the Triforce of power. With no real motive other than to destroy all in its path the beast lay waste to all.
sorry kind of got into it... :p

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
They said why. This time around, he wanted all the Zelda characters to be from different parts of the franchise.
They said it's because "BotW Zelda is more into research anyways" but the real question you should be asking is why is it her Link Between Worlds appearance? Hmm.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Is there actually discussion or a general consensus where we might see a charadter includes in the character mural if they were not all rearranged in order to make the character fit? Like any spaces or openings that logical make sense?
I think the thing that stands out to me right now is that the Mii Gunner is seperated from the other Mii fighters, as if she is just covering up an empty spot right now. I could see her moving to the other Mii fighters and something or someone taking her place.

D

Deleted member

Ganondorf: A man with a valid reason for taking over Hyrule, method behind madness (in wind waker his character was greatly improved
I wouldn't call "I want my people to have a better home" a valid reason for genocide. Actually, I wouldn't call any reason valid for genocide. Is Ganondorf somewhat relatable? Yeah, but he really crossed the line when he did everything he did which, oh boy, is a really big list.
Vaati: The great wind mage in the four swords titles he is similar to Ghirahim in the fact he's trying to resurrect Ganon rather than Demise. However in Minish Cap Vaati has a backstory and he becomes a 'relatable' villain (also hella fun to fight)
Correction but Vaati never tries to ressurrect Ganon. Rather, in FSA, Ganondorf II releases him as a distraction. By the point Vaati is fought in FS and FSA he's already lost any semblance of hunanity(or whatever is the equivalent to the Minish)
SubSpace Emissary was boring View attachment 170504
Dunno what's worse: the fact you used pepe or that you think you're doing some controversial hot take

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wouldn't call "I want my people to have a better home" a valid reason for genocide. Actually, I wouldn't call any reason valid for genocide. Is Ganondorf somewhat relatable? Yeah, but he really crossed the line when he did everything he did which, oh boy, is a really big list.

Correction but Vaati never tries to ressurrect Ganon. Rather, in FSA, Ganondorf II releases him as a distraction. By the point Vaati is fought in FS and FSA he's already lost any semblance of hunanity(or whatever is the equivalent to the Minish)

Dunno what's worse: the fact you used pepe or that you think you're doing some controversial hot take
Tbf Ganon just wanted power to help his people but he went mad with it

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Vaati had spoken lines and human emotions in Four Swords (at the very least, he had the classic villain arrogance, as well as a rather disturbing degree of lust). Four Swords Adventures didn't give him any dialogue or characterization, though. He did get a more fleshed-out personality in Minish Cap, which completely changed his motivation from lust for ...erm, Princess Zelda to a lust for power.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Ganon's motives are a mess at this point tbh. Wind Waker suggests he cares for the Gerudo but then SS and BOTW come along suggesting that before there was Ganondorf there was Ganon and that his Gerudo form was just some kind of cynical reincarnation (I think Urbosa says something to that effect). SS really didn't help with the whole Demise thing - who wasn't even an interesting villain anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom