• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You and almost every other 90s kid™.

Can't see Microsoft budging there though. They probably want the Minecraft guy (Steve?) in Smash more than any of their other IPs.

I would cringe with you. Smashboards would have to change it's name to Tumblrboards.
But Phil Spencer and that tweet about Banjo in Smash and Phil Spencer and actually responding to Rare Replay on Wii U and Phil Spencer...

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Yeah, I just checked. Both Tetris and Minecraft are the best selling games on multi-platforms, but Wii Sports sits on top for a single console game.
Do we know how much specifically the Java Edition of Minecraft has sold?

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Tetris sales count a whole bunch of different platforms, including mobile where it's been downloaded over 100 million times. The best selling non-multi platform game (at number 4 on the list) is Wii Sports, which was a bundled game so probably doesn't count either.

I think Mario Kart Wii in sixth place is the highest selling, single-platform, non-bundled game.
Wii Sports was bundled with the Wii in North America, but in Japan it didn't come bundled, so it doesn't have a 1 to 1 attach rate with the Wii.

D

Deleted member

Wii Sports is kind of cheating when it's bundled with every Wii console.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Tetris sales count a whole bunch of different platforms, including mobile where it's been downloaded over 100 million times. The best selling non-multi platform game (at number 4 on the list) is Wii Sports, which was a bundled game so probably doesn't count either.

I think Mario Kart Wii in sixth place is the highest selling, single-platform, non-bundled game.
Mario Kart Wii was also bundled, I think. Just not in America, iirc.

Pokemon Red and Blue is the true, highest-selling, single-platform unbundled game.

And if you don't count that because they're two separate games, that honor instead goes to New Super Mario Bros.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well why the **** didn't we get a Wii Sports rep?
We got three kinda
Mii Brawler, Gunner and Swordfighter

What, did you want Mii Athlete?

EDIT: We also got a Wii Sports Resort stage.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, you can't really deny how big of a phenomenon Minecraft has become and it's available on, like, every platform there is. Selling well on Nintendo consoles as well, worldwide. Steve would definitely be an oddball choice for Smash, I kinda see it happening... but then again not...

As for Undertale, I've lowkey anticipated for it to come to Switch and now that it actually is coming, I'm excited to play it once it comes out. I have limited knowledge on the game though so I dunno how anything of it would translate to Smash.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I really don't think cringe is a good reason for anything. We have to remember that Smash is a game targeted towards children, and "cringe" usually involves making fun of said children because their interests are, y'know, weird or childish.

Cringe culture makes me go bleh. What good has it ever done anybody except bully kids for having interests?
I also cringe at 40+ year old males that watch a colorful tv show about miniature horses who conquer evil with the power of friendship.

Cringe is life, my dear friend.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You said his name three times in one post. Be careful. He's coming for you.
He's going tell me about his terraflops and how great the competition is.

Just imagine Banjo being in and having the reveal at E3, during Microsoft's conference.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'd genuinely love to have Undertale songs in Smash, but nothing more, really. A stage is probably as far as I'd go without being baffled, and I'd still find it a little confusing (although I do know the game is popular in Japan.)

I also cringe at 40+ year old males that watch a colorful tv show about miniature horses who conquer evil with the power of friendship.

Cringe is life, my dear friend.
It really isn't.

There's far better reasons to dislike many fandoms, even in the case of bronies. 'Cringe' is not and never will be a valid reason, it's just childish as it literally doesn't amount to anything other than "haha, you're weird!"

We're not school bullies, and we shouldn't act like them.

Especially in the cases of Undertale and FNAF where you're literally just laughing at children for enjoying something. Isn't this the same thing Nintendo fans have had a problem with, people judging you for liking cartoony games by a "kids company"?

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I'd genuinely love to have Undertale songs in Smash, but nothing more, really. A stage is probably as far as I'd go without being baffled, and I'd still find it a little confusing (although I do know the game is popular in Japan.)

It really isn't.

There's far better reasons to dislike many fandoms, even in the case of bronies. 'Cringe' is not and never will be a valid reason, it's just childish as it literally doesn't amount to anything other than "haha, you're weird!"

All right... Here's another one.
How about people who dip their fries in cola and eat them as if the cola was a saus?

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'm not that stupid. I could be that one guy who wanted a Fortnite character in Smash.
I always forget Fortnite even has characters outside of the PUBG mode that blew up.

I was actually looking forward to that game before they focused everything on following trends instead of fixing their main mode for launch, lol.

And this is why I should have put a /s
Honestly, after everything I've read on this site it's almost impossible to tell what's serious anymore. Poe's law is everywhere, always watching...

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
The third party reps imo are the hardest to guess at cause for one thing there are so many to choose from and even when you narrow down who is likely its all about what the companies want and who nintendo ends up negotiating with.

A lot of people are guessing crash lately but its really just cause he was part of the same direct as the smash announcement. I think he has a chance I think he deserves it and I think it could happen but I'm very aware of the fact someone like steve from minecraft is just as possible maybe even as a deal to get Banjo or any other number of 3rd party characters whos companies have recently been working with nintendo, cause frankly a lot of companies have been working with nintendo post-switch so its hard to weigh which evidence is more likely.

The only things I can say that seem holds weight at one 3rd party character over another concretely is that none of the third party characters we've gotten have been western companies BUT they are running out of big name japanese ones with Konami being the odd man out but with snake cut last time and all the kojima controversy I dont know whats gonna happen there for snake, bomberman, and simon belmont. I dig all three a lot but its a sticky situation.

And lastly rayman/rabbids seems probably the most likely if i had to guess a single third party I was confident in. rayman very oddly had a trophy last smash and last years E3 had nintendo and Ubisoft super buddy buddy with mario and rabbids so despite being a western character rayman seems the most guessable at this point.

but who knows we got Ryu and Cloud as DLC I never would have guessed either would actually be in smash so its near impossible these days to know what could happen behind the scenes with smash.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Poe's Law in action.
I'd never heard this phrase before, except a couple of pages ago. It's actually quite useful.

Back on Smash though, are there any references you'd like to see in skins/colours for characters? I'd like to see a detective Pikachu hat for, well, Pikachu.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I'd never heard this phrase before, except a couple of pages ago. It's actually quite useful.

Back on Smash though, are there any references you'd like to see in skins/colours for characters? I'd like to see a detective Pikachu hat for, well, Pikachu.
I want some of the Mario Odyssey outfits for Mario. Especially the Casual Clothing, thats the best.
A lot of people are guessing crash lately but its really just cause he was part of the same direct as the smash announcement. I think he has a chance I think he deserves it and I think it could happen but I'm very aware of the fact someone like steve from minecraft is just as possible maybe even as a deal to get Banjo or any other number of 3rd party characters whos companies have recently been working with nintendo, cause frankly a lot of companies have been working with nintendo post-switch so its hard to weigh which evidence is more likely.
I'm not saying that Crash is guaranteed for Smash Switch, but now that hes coming back to Nintendo consoles, Id love to see him join the roster.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Miis are a weird one. I think they absolutely will return, but I think it's very possible not in the same way at all.

Personally, I'd like for them to overhaul the Miis so that you choose your weight off of 3 (Heavy, Average, Light) instead of basing it off of your Mii, and just remove equipment entirely.

More classes would be fun as heck too.

I know not everybody enjoys Miis but they're one of the most fun parts about Smash 4 in my eyes.

I wouldn't complain if they removed the custom moves for them, but I also wouldn't complain if they stayed just for the Miis. I'd much rather have more classes and the ability to play online than custom moves though.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

It really isn't.

Especially in the cases of Undertale and FNAF where you're literally just laughing at children for enjoying something. Isn't this the same thing Nintendo fans have had a problem with, people judging you for liking cartoony games by a "kids company"?
Okay I know you don't like cringe and all but you obviously have never typed "Ridley Jr." into the Smashboards search bar.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'd like to see the Kart/Mario sports outfits available for all the applicable Mario characters.

More Captain skins for Olimar would be cool too.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
A sporty character who uses sports equipment would actually make a nice newcomer.
This is what I've always imagined Waluigi to be, honestly. Originating from Mario Tennis, it always seemed fitting to me to get a Waluigi that encompasses and references all of the Mario spin-off series he appears in, with his quirky personality and mannerisms.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Maybe appeared a stage from Paper Mario series, I want that.
I'd personally like to see the Paper Mario stage return, even if Sticker Star is still totally forced down the throat of it.

I'd also very much enjoy an entirely 64/TTYD focused stage.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I want some of the Mario Odyssey outfits for Mario. Especially the Casual Clothing, thats the best.

I'm not saying that Crash is guaranteed for Smash Switch, but now that hes coming back to Nintendo consoles, Id love to see him join the roster.
Oh totally, and im not saying he wont. Again I think he totally deserves it and, at least here in the west, mario/sonic/crash all battling it out would be an amazing thing as they were all company mascots of the big three during a certain era. But I guess all im saying is that I see him guessed at being very likely as who our third party character(s) will be where as something like a minecraft rep is rarely guessed at lately and I honestly think when you take it all into consideration crash is about about level with lots of 3rd party characters who have recently appeared on switch (doomguy,bomberman,steve,amaterasu etc..) as far as who is possible. I'd personally much rather have crash than most of em but again its so hard to guess at 3rd parties this time and im just not as confident as I seem to hear most people are in him.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'd personally like to see the Paper Mario stage return, even if Sticker Star is still totally forced down the throat of it.
They'd probably use the Colour Splash designs which were actually good.

That reminds me, as we approach E3, the Thousand Year Door HD 'leaks' must be coming soon.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I have issues with how Miis were implemented in Smash Wii U and 3DS, they felt like outcasts to the rest of the roster, being excluded from Online and random selection. Being so tied to customization and replacing the multimen team of the past. If they return, I want them integrated better.

Actually, I don't really want them back at all, I wasn't a fan of customization in general last time, custom moves are a cool concept but they were executed so poorly

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe appeared a stage from Paper Mario series, I want that.

I'd also very much enjoy an entirely 64/TTYD focused stage.
What I really want is for Paper Mario to get a sequel stage like the ones Flat Zone and Pictochat got. Maybe something that'll put an emphasis on the original game and SPM. Color Splash wasn't too bad, and while I wouldn't have a problem with it getting represented, I feel like it'll completely hog the stage like Sticker Star did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom