• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I can't tell if that post was serious or a parody.
Oooh. Well no, it was serious. I figured if a Indie character would get in, Freddy is the biggest they could get if going by popularity and sales and recognicion and such. Plus, I believe the FNAF remakes will release on Switch, whenever the'll be revealed.

Again, I am not saying Freddy would be a likely character at all. It'd just be IF a Indie can get in, and IF they wanna get the biggest one. ^^

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Imma have to slap you all as I always play Smash with more than 4 players total
Exactly the same here. If Smash 5 removed 8-Player I'd have to go back to just playing Smash 4 casually instead.

The ability to play with 5-6 people (and even up to 8 when you're having/at a patty) is just way too valuable to ever cut IMO.

As much as I love Ice Climbers, they can get the boot so fast if I can play with more than 3 other people... or better yet, just don't allow them in 8-Player Smash if it's an issue. They have no problem disabling stages.

We don't know how much of an issue it even will be, though. The Switch is definitely stronger than the Wii U was.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh god, Pyra debates got here too? Still, regardless if it's too sexualiaed for Smash, it might not be of Sakurai's liking. He covered Corrin's leg window even though we had ZSS and Shulk in the base game.
I don't know if he sees swimsuits as okay or if he's just really inconsistent but I'd bet he'd change Pyra somewhat.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Oooh. Well no, it was serious. I figured if a Indie character would get in, Freddy is the biggest they could get if going by popularity and sales and recognicion and such. Plus, I believe the FNAF remakes will release on Switch, whenever the'll be revealed.

Again, I am not saying Freddy would be a likely character at all. It'd just be IF a Indie can get in, and IF they wanna get the biggest one. ^^
Shovel Knight or Shantae would be the biggest contenders. Hell, Sans has a better possibility.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Shovel Knight or Shantae would be the biggest contenders. Hell, Sans has a better possibility.
Shovel knight has kinda become the face of indies so I can very well see him getting in. It would be great if him and Shantae could get in though.

*insert Ness is Sans joke here

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Alright, so whenever I think about censorship in Smash, its usually when I'm not playing the game.

Because when I'm in the middle of a match, I don't really have time to look at Bayo's butt or Corrin's toes.

Of course, as a grown-up, I don't mind risque things, but I could see the parents complaining about this supposed family friendly game having some overly suggestive content.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
CommanderVideo gets a trophy and isn't even considered a top contender. :upsidedown:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Mr. Game & Watch is a character based from Game & Watch series for Super Smash Bros. series. Therefore will continued to appear in Super Smash Bros.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Well, as I said, I also think Shovel Knight would most likely be the first/only indie to get in, IF they would ever concider indies, I just meant that, if they wanted the biggest one, then I do not think Freddy would be any problem at all. Plus, extremely famous franchise, especially with kids. XD I doubt getting Freddy in would be hard for Sakurai, Scott would probably love that.
I think Freddy is a lot like Steven from Minecraft. Extremely recognizeable and a huge deal, but not really exciting characters for most Smash fans.

I'm sure Shovel Knight would get in before him, and I love Shovel Knight, so I'd be totally fine with that. ^^

Note that I am not trying to argue or such, of course. To each his own, I just personally feel that Freddy would be awesome and a popular character with the younger people.

D

Deleted member

There isn't even a FnaF game on a Nintendo console and it's most definitely not the most well known indie game out there.

Also, hi, MasterofMonster, been a long time.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Oh god, Pyra debates got here too? Still, regardless if it's too sexualiaed for Smash, it might not be of Sakurai's liking. He covered Corrin's leg window even though we had ZSS and Shulk in the base game.
I don't know if he sees swimsuits as okay or if he's just really inconsistent but I'd bet he'd change Pyra somewhat.
My lame advice: If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. (Not really)
Yeah, sorry... but then again, I deny that this is my problem... and I accept people's own opinion... it is just that most people already consider Pyra's design tweak a guarantee is mind boggling to me...

If just state that "I wish they tweak Pyra's design because I don't like it."... than hey, ok, I got no problem with that...
My only argument is that Corrin was release after Smash 4 release where the age rating is set stone...

Again, I have not problem if they change Pyra but you can't just sit here and say "I'd bet" when we have no words from Sakurai, or any gameplay footage for now. So yeah, that's my stance and my mere opinion.

Shovel knight has kinda become the face of indies so I can very well see him getting in. It would be great if him and Shantae could get in though.

*insert Ness is Sans joke here
Yeah, I am actually a huge supporter of Indie characters to Smash. Shovel Knight and Shantae are on the list...

And my wishful thinking is they include Skullgirl or Indivisible characters....
Alright, so whenever I think about censorship in Smash, its usually when I'm not playing the game.

Because when I'm in the middle of a match, I don't really have time to look at Bayo's butt or Corrin's toes.

Of course, as a grown-up, I don't mind risque things, but I could see the parents complaining about this supposed family friendly game having some overly suggestive content.
Same, when I play Xenoblade 2, unless I am looking at cutscenes, when I am battling, all I care is : When will Zeke do the launch attack?

Some parents (Like mine) complain video games in general.... so that's that... and Smash Bros Switch, even though hard to say but I doubt it will be a family friendly game... we are in speculation stage at this point.

So please, enough with Pyra debate for now, I just hope Rex, Pyra/Mythra, and other rare Blades can be in... will get design tweaks? I just wanna say: I don't know and don't care at this moment.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I very much enjoy watching 8-Player Smash, but I'd rather have IC's back instead if I had to choose between 'em.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I very much enjoy watching 8-Player Smash, but I'd rather have IC's back instead if I had to choose between 'em.
The first time I play 8 player Smash, I loved it...

Played for ??? time...

Kill me...

Staarih

Smash Master
Shovel Knight has the advantage of being a Nintendo "favorite", the amiibo support alone is a pretty big thing. I bet he climbed up pretty high in the ballot as well. I definitely wouldn't mind him getting in but I'm not sure if indies are even taken into consideration.

Hmm, shouldn't King of Cards be close to finished by now (I remember "early 2018" for its release)? What about the new amiibo 3-pack with the other knights?

Major Shovel Knight announcement imminent

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
There isn't even a FnaF game on a Nintendo console and it's most definitely not the most well known indie game out there.

Also, hi, MasterofMonster, been a long time.
True, though Scott did say the FNAF remakes/remasters would not appear on Wii-U since it was on it's way out, but that it 'could appear on the NX', and I doubt a FNAF remake collection would skip the Switch. It'd actually be fitting, lying in your bed, under the covers, and getting Bonnies in your face. :p

Oh, and hello. ^^ Not really been here in.. a few years, I think, but I did say I'd return properly when a new Smash was announced. XD Glad to be back.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
True, though Scott did say the FNAF remakes/remasters would not appear on Wii-U since it was on it's way out, but that it 'could appear on the NX', and I doubt a FNAF remake collection would skip the Switch. It'd actually be fitting, lying in your bed, under the covers, and getting Bonnies in your face. :p

Oh, and hello. ^^ Not really been here in.. a few years, I think, but I did say I'd return properly when a new Smash was announced. XD Glad to be back.
FNAF on Switch to me, is like having Captain Toad on Switch, it will be a blast to play but... I didn't ask for this...

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Had a dream last night where Sans got announced for Smash. Everyone here was pissed.

What would your actual reactions be?

Stratos

Smash Ace
If appeared a character based from Nintendo Labo, I believe its Final Smash is the Robot Kit.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, last thing I remember about you was our PM. Don't think you'll know who I am though, I've changed my username ever since :p
Had a dream last night where Sans got announced for Smash. Everyone here was pissed.

"Oh thank god Ness is back"

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Your dream was right.
FNAF on Switch to me, is like having Captain Toad on Switch, it will be a blast to play but... I didn't ask for this...
Speaking of Captain Toad, I think it's high time he got added to Smash. Also if the 3DS version of Captain Toad had them Odyssey levels, I might just pick it up

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
mario123007 mario123007 It's not that mind boggling when it's happened before. :4bayonetta::4corrinf::4peach: (and Tharja).
EDIT: Mind you I'm not asking for a redesign of either of them. I don't think Pyra or Mythra's designs are that bad, I'm mainly talking about how they'll be censored a tad.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Not that I think there's any chance of this happening, but Quote from Cave Story would be cool to see in Smash, even if it's just as a trophy. It's been on four Nintendo systems now, and is an indie game from wayyyy back, first releasing in 2004 (although not hitting Wiiware until 2010).

Do people still consider Minecraft as an indie game?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Haha, well, if we only ever got things we knew we wanted, how would we ever get anything New and Surprising? ^^

I'd love to see Freddy in Smash and I think he'd bring a lot to it while also being very popular with the younger demographic, but I can tell it is not a popular opinion here and I do not wanna accidentally start any arguments, so I will stop now.

Imagine Kirby with a Freddy Mask, tho...

@Shishœ
Oooh, sorry about that. Then yeah, I have no idea. Do feel free to PM me and remind me, tho. XD

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Honestly, if we get an Indie character, I want Shantae. Shovel Knight would be my 2nd most wanted Indie character, but Shantae should definitely come first.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Not that I think there's any chance of this happening, but Quote from Cave Story would be cool to see in Smash, even if it's just as a trophy. It's been on four Nintendo systems now, and is an indie game from wayyyy back, first releasing in 2004 (although not hitting Wiiware until 2010).

Do people still consider Minecraft as an indie game?
I guess some people do but being owned by Microsoft seems to have changed how most people view it.

If Nintendo was going to Microsoft for a charcter though, I'd rather Banjo.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
This is an opinion that I know would get most vilified, but I unironically think Minecraft deserves representation in Smash.

On every recent Nintendo console including the 3DS, is the 2nd highest selling game of all time, essentially defined a generation of kids in games along with creating &/or popularizing it's respective genre to a ridiculous degree.. and while it's absolutely not an indie game anymore by any stretch of the imagination, it did start as one and could be considered representation to that if they wanted to call it that.

What form it would take I have no idea. I won't lie and say I don't think Steve as a character sounds amazing (although absolutely not a character I'm asking for), I think a Mario Maker stage would be very fitting.

I think the #1 best selling game of all time, Tetris, also deserves some more in Smash than one song. I have no evidence but I think it's possible Ubisoft was being the main problem there.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
My initial reaction to Sans would be "Why? Why this at all?" however I couldn't be mad.

I genuinely love Undertale as a game way too much to be mad about it, it's probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite singleplayer game behind Mother 3 and most recently BotW. Admittedly, though, I haven't played Undertale since literally the day or so after it came out.

I don't think it's a good idea and I'd never want it, but it's not something that would really get a negative response out of me. Just confusion.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
This is an opinion that I know would get most vilified, but I unironically think Minecraft deserves representation in Smash.

On every recent Nintendo console including the 3DS, is the 2nd highest selling game of all time, essentially defined a generation of kids in games along with creating &/or popularizing it's respective genre to a ridiculous degree.. and while it's absolutely not an indie game anymore by any stretch of the imagination, it did start as one and could be considered representation to that if they wanted to call it that.

What form it would take I have no idea. I won't lie and say I don't think Steve as a character sounds amazing (although absolutely not a character I'm asking for), I think a Mario Maker stage would be very fitting.

I think the #1 best selling game of all time, Tetris, also deserves some more in Smash than one song. I have no evidence but I think it's possible Ubisoft was being the main problem there.
This is the best I can help you with.
I´d cringe. I wouldn´t be mad, I would just cringe.
I cringe at the idea of Minecraft and/or Undertale in Smash. Thankfully Sakurai is smarter.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
If Nintendo was going to Microsoft for a charcter though, I'd rather Banjo.
You and almost every other 90s kid™.

Can't see Microsoft budging there though. They probably want the Minecraft guy (Steve?) in Smash more than any of their other IPs.

I´d cringe. I wouldn´t be mad, I would just cringe.
I would cringe with you. Smashboards would have to change it's name to Tumblrboards.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I respect your opinion on wanting a Minecraft rep, but this? Is Tetris really the best selling game of all time?

Edit- Holy smokes, it is. But that's with multi-platforms.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I really don't think cringe is a good reason for anything. We have to remember that Smash is a game targeted towards children, and "cringe" usually involves making fun of said children because their interests are, y'know, weird or childish.

Cringe culture makes me go bleh. What good has it ever done anybody except bully kids for having interests?

It always confuses me why people say fandoms like Undertale and FNAF are the worst ever because they're "cringe". While I don't participate in any of these, I still think it's a bunch of balogna. Sorry, but I just find toxicity in games like LoL and the general fighting game community to be a lot worse fandoms.

I respect your opinion on wanting a Minecraft rep, but this? Is Tetris really the best selling game of all time?
Yep.

Minecraft is the best selling "single" game, but Tetris' different versions have sold the best overall.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

Yeah I actually agree on minecraft. I always found it such a strange thing cause I got minecraft in like 2008?ish? played on my computer for a bit it was neat then I was done... cut to like 4 or 5 years later and SUDDENLY tons of minecraft merch every kid I see is all about minecraft and I'm over here like... why did this happen 5 years after I played the game? what the heck made it blow up?

I guess it was just literally the face of youtube/streaming/lets play era gaming and that generation of kids loved it.

I dont hate minecraft, i dont love minecraft, I just found its rise in popularity extremely odd. That said I would be fine with Steve in smash since I have ALWAYS thought of smash as a celebration of gaming itself and he really DOES represent those gamers and that era. Its the same reason I want Banjo Kazooie, they are the face of N64 era gaming.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Not played Undertale, so I only know about sans from his design, but I will play it 'eventually', if you know what I mean, hah.

I'd not want Minecraft in Smash, but I'd accept a stage, if something. Would people be ok with a bunch of Third Party stages, even if there was not characters from those franchises? Like, a Bomberman stage without Bomerman, and, such?

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
If you count all of the bajillions different versions of it as a single game? Yes.

But that shouldn't count because they're still different.
I really don't think cringe is a good reason for anything. We have to remember that Smash is a game targeted towards children, and "cringe" usually involves making fun of said children because their interests are, y'know, weird or childish.

Cringe culture makes me go bleh. What good has it ever done anybody except bully kids for having interests?

Yep.
Yeah, I just checked. Both Tetris and Minecraft are the best selling games on multi-platforms, but Wii Sports sits on top for a single console game.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Tetris sales count a whole bunch of different platforms, including mobile where it's been downloaded over 100 million times. The best selling non-multi platform game (at number 4 on the list) is Wii Sports, which was a bundled game so probably doesn't count either.

I think Mario Kart Wii in sixth place is the highest selling, single-platform, non-bundled game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom