• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Here's my thought on the "ruffled feathers" thing, assuming it's true and there's been something leaked that Nintendo just recently found out about:

Either Incineroar isn't in, or what's ruffled feathers is a leak of planned DLC. I've made it pretty obvious in this forum that I believe the box theory and the pattern it follows. An echo character, like Ken, wouldn't "ruffle feathers" the same way a legitimate newcomer would-- and Incineroar was "leaked" months ago. That final spot on the box is someone we haven't been expecting.

In my mind, the final newcomer in this scenario would be someone that hasn't been commonly leaked, someone unexpected. Or, we're going a Mewtwo route, and Nintendo planned on announcing a DLC character before launch-- and that DLC character was recently leaked.
...Now that I think about it, there have been credible sources saying that there'll be a Smash DLC reveal at The Game Awards this year.
We might have our "leak".

D

Deleted member

...Now that I think about it, there have been credible sources saying that there'll be a Smash DLC reveal at The Game Awards this year.
Not as good as i imagined the leak.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So far, I think MKX is the pinnacle of their success when it comes to meta. Injustice 2 felt so stale to me. I know many people criticized the heavy mix-up style of MKX, but it was at least more hype visually. Gameplay moved so quick, MKX was far more satisfying to watch than Injustice 2.
Injustice 2 has a projectile problem that MKX mostly avoided. There's too much spacing that slows down the gameplay. Watching people block from far away all match just isn't all that entertaining.

I also think there's something to be said about the MKX characters being much larger onscreen. I've always kind of disliked just how far away the camera is from IJ2's characters.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, some goober on twitter said folks at Nintendo are getting their feathers ruffled because of a leak?
And we don't know what that leak is?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It did, it also had a picture of a red and grey alt for Skull Kid.

Obviously you know my bias towards hoping this one is real, but the Rayman does look off to me, will admit.
I can see how that leak would “ruffle feathers” if true — the Isaac fan base. They thought that since Loz was proven wrong on his direct predictions in September, that Skull Kid wasn’t happening and Isaac still had a shot. If Skull Kid were in they’d be...upset to say the least since Skull Kid was the character Loz backed the most (and he seemed to flip flop about Isaac being in)

D

Deleted member 269706

Finally got around to preordering Ultimate, decided to pay the whole thing off. Now, to buy a switch

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So, some goober on twitter said folks at Nintendo are getting their feathers ruffled because of a leak?
And we don't know what that leak is?
Pretty much.

But hey, something new to talk about.

D

Deleted member

Since when is LeakyPanda credible?

Oh wait, he's not. Move on!

D

Deleted member

Not as good as i imagined the leak.
Better this than what they would release afterwards. If they knew about Google's Project Steam and Nintendo's fall line-up outside of VERY few people like PlayersEssence or DreamcastGuy, then you know they're bound to find out what that DLC character might be. These guys Spawn Wave have are kind of out of this world, when it comes to knowing stuff others don't.

D

Deleted member

Since when is LeakyPanda credible?

Oh wait, he's not. Move on!
Honestly, if I were to guess moving forward, LeakyPandy is just using any information Spawn Wave's sources have and try to claim it as they're own. :nifty:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Plot twist...
What if the leak was the Arle and Steve video from a week or two back? It's probably fake, but it would be hilarious if two controversial characters made it in

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
But Star's more popular in Japan™!

I have no proof, but just believe me! It must be true!

Fant4stic made a little over $2million in Japan.

So I guess they don't mind them, at the very least.

EDIT: Also, @Tougon, I have never once in my life seen that Star whatever show. But I think the facial animations in that clip have won me over.

Is it worth watching?

Last edited:

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
LeakyPanda are just a couple of people from Vandal joking around, literally never trust them on anything.

Also I would love stout Geno

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And I'm not saying they should want to play as Pokemon Trainer if they don't want to? Maybe I'm missing something, jumping in the middle of the conversation. :upsidedown:

Having all the Pokemon separate with new final smashes and moves would probably have been too much work, and for "everyone is here" Squirtle and Ivysaur needed to come back (also without "Pokemon Trainer" themselves, it would still feel like not everyone is here, even if they are a passive character). I would have been very disappointed if only Charizard came back--it would feel false to the spirit of the game. All I'm saying is that, for my purposes (which are not "tier" based, as I'm a casual player, not a competitive player) I am glad Pokemon Trainer returned the way they did, and I agree with almost all of the compromises that had to be made, and to me, made Pokemon Trainer the best character in the game (not just in terms of "tier", but in terms of variety and fun). Some may not, in which case, it's their choice if they want to play as Pokemon Trainer or main someone else. One thing I would agree on is I wish it didn't automatically switch after a KO--that should be the decision of the player.
You missed the context, yep.

People were just annoyed they couldn't play solo Charizard anymore.

That's all. There's really no getting around how impossible it is with Ultimate's design. Also, maining 3 characters is far far harder than just 1. So "better" is subjective. And I agree entirely that it would've been pointless trying to have 3 separate ones. It would be fine to have a unique separate Charizard as an option(like maybe a clone using Mega Charizard Y who transforms into Mega Charizard X for the Final Smash. Is it inaccurate? Definitely. But it works to a degree. It's still at least Charizard in some way, so who knows how it would go).

But yeah, with major changes, people don't always want it that way. Some never liked PT to begin with and only wanted to play as one Pokemon. Just how it is. I get it. It's too bad there's no way to have a solo option for any of them specifically, but them's the breaks. It however is pointless to constantly say "but this is better" because that's not what they're looking for. Which was the point I was getting at(the first post of mine you quoted). They were never looking for a return of the trio, they just like the solo option only.

D

Deleted member

Wait, LeakyPanda said this?
He said DLC reveal at the game awards, so that's 100% false. If it does happen, it's a coincidence, and all the details will be wrong.

Fant4stic made a little over $2million in Japan.

So I guess they don't mind them, at the very least.
This is the part where I make up numbers about how popular the Japanese dub of Star is to try and win a pointless argument.

:4pacman:

D

Deleted member

He said DLC reveal at the game awards, so that's 100% false. If it does happen, it's a coincidence, and all the details will be wrong.

This is the part where I make up numbers about how popular the Japanese dub of Star is to try and win a pointless argument.

:4pacman:
And this is where i end the argument forcing everyone to watch World's Greatest Heroes.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Also, I have never once in my leave seen that Star whatever show. But I think the facial animations in that clip have won me over.

Is it worth watching?
Worth watching...great show

D

Deleted member

Hold on, was I actually right about them using Spawn Wave's sources? Because that's what his sources have been saying for a good while.
HOLY **** I HAVE VISIONS.

pasted image 0.png

D

Deleted member

I like Star and The Forces Of Evil too.

I just love the Fantastic Four as much as Metroid, Crash and Godzilla.

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
Okay so where did this "feather rustling hidden leak" originate? And why exactly are we taking it seriously? Not trying to be facetious just genuinely wondering what exactly we know here

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
A word of advise on rational "theorizing"--our theories should conform to the evidence, not the other way around. When the assumptions of Blog Theory were challenged, I didn't throw out that new evidence--I modified the theory. And kept modifying until it became unreasonable to continue believing.

That being said, whatever's going on currently is far too vague to make any concrete statements until whatever's being talked about is found.

You missed the context, yep.

People were just annoyed they couldn't play solo Charizard anymore.

That's all. There's really no getting around how impossible it is with Ultimate's design. Also, maining 3 characters is far far harder than just 1. So "better" is subjective. And I agree entirely that it would've been pointless trying to have 3 separate ones. It would be fine to have a unique separate Charizard as an option(like maybe a clone using Mega Charizard Y who transforms into Mega Charizard X for the Final Smash. Is it inaccurate? Definitely. But it works to a degree. It's still at least Charizard in some way, so who knows how it would go).

But yeah, with major changes, people don't always want it that way. Some never liked PT to begin with and only wanted to play as one Pokemon. Just how it is. I get it. It's too bad there's no way to have a solo option for any of them specifically, but them's the breaks. It however is pointless to constantly say "but this is better" because that's not what they're looking for. Which was the point I was getting at(the first post of mine you quoted). They were never looking for a return of the trio, they just like the solo option only.
No, it doesn't look like I missed the context then--my point was to say why I'm glad they didn't bring back solo Charizard in place of Pokemon Trainer. A clone, I think, would have been awkward, but that's a side thing (it also still adds more labor, even if less labor than separating all three). I made sure to point out in my first part that it was my *subjective* opinion that Pokemon Trainer is better in almost every way to solo Charizard, and that the suggestion of only bringing Charizard back would defeat the purpose of Ultimate. It's my opinion, and I'm in no ways saying that's a "factual" way to view it (not sure if anybody could claim such a thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom