• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Oh, and for those who don't know, the only Ultimate news we got was that Frostbite 2019 will have Ultimate (of course), but no SSB4 (death). Then there will also be a crew battle with Abadango and Nairo as the crew captains.

Other than that, no news of any announcement at all.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh yeah I know that one,

About the character selection, I dunno if Jack Frost is really that recognizable.
If they wanted someone everybody knows I'd say we're going to get P5 MC, but you already they would go for Persona if they wanted popularity.
I'd prefer the Demi-fiend still, even tough he would be a "who?" character for a lot of people, he looks more "impactful" with his design, not meaning to throw shade in other characters design.
Nah, I think just about everyone knows Jack Frost. After all, he's the mascot of not just Megaten, but Atlus as a whole. They use him EVERYWHERE, even in games that aren't part of Megaten. He's an advertising GOD.
Heck, he even has unique dialogue ala Pikachu in Pokemon.

And he's even made anime cameos:

I think if you've even heard of JRPGs, then you gotta have heard of Jack Frost.
Especially in Japan. They love this little guy.

And yeah, Demi-fiend's my favorite main protag design, because it's such a radical and confident design decision.

Last edited:

ChrisJamie

Smash Cadet
So if you had to add one newcomer from your favorite series, who would be?
For me,
:ultlink:: Skull Kid
:ultsamus:: Sylux
:ultshulk:: Rex and Pyra
:ultmegaman:: Zero
:ultsimon:: Alcuard
:ultmario:: Paper Mario
:ultlink:: Impa
:ultdk:: Dixie Kong
:ultkirby:: Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultmarth:: Azura
:ultpit:: Medusa
:ultshulk:: Pyra/Mythra (like how Zelda used to work)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's possibility still hope guys for something to be announced. Either tonight or maybe tomorrow even especially being with the former its close to 8:30 in Japan. Could be 9 or 12 or later tonight over there they announce something.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Oh, and for those who don't know, the only Ultimate news we got was that Frostbite 2019 will have Ultimate (of course), but no SSB4 (death). Then there will also be a crew battle with Abadango and Nairo as the crew captains.

Other than that, no news of any announcement at all.
So, I forgot to mention, we're basically having a sequel to this gem of a crew battle (NA vs. Japan). It's going to be good.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
to people saying nothing happened, it doesn't end until 7:00 pm pst at the latest, 6:00 pm pst at the earliest (they left time for bracket resets and such), it could still happen, nintendo has been retweeting a lot of stuff which is kinda suspicous tbh

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I’m suprised that nobody on the social media team had tried to leak stuff out on their own tbh...

beans

Smash Lord
Nah, I think just about everyone knows Jack Frost. After all, he's the mascot of not just Megaten, but Atlus as a whole. They use him EVERYWHERE, even in games that aren't part of Megaten. He's an advertising GOD.

And yeah, Demi-fiend's my favorite main protag design, because it's such a radical and confident design decision.
I know Jack Frost is popular is just that I don't think he has a lot of popularity outside of JRPG genre.
I mean he is surely an icon of the genre but I believe the genre as a whole is niche, and that the Persona line is where he gets closer of the mainstream.
But hey, Isabelle is used in lots of advertising in Japan and has become a face of her franchise, so maybe Jack Frost can make a splash.
TL;DR: I think Jack Frost is a bit of a niche character outside of the JRPG comunity and that may be a blow to his chances

Untouch

Smash Master
August 8th direct was announced before GFs.
Of course, this is a pattern of exactly one other instance so there isn't a rule here but it isn't technically over yet.

ChrisJamie

Smash Cadet
:ultmario:: Waluigi (Hey, you never said it had to be realistic. :upsidedown:)
:ultinkling:: Octoling
:ultlink:: Midna
:ultsamus:: No one is really left to add, so I'd probably just make Dark Samus unique.
:ultkirby:: Adeleine
:ultvillager:: K.K. Slider
:ultyoshi:: Yarn Yoshi
:ultdk:: Dixie Kong
:ultmarth:: Tiki
:ultsonic:: Tails
:ultness:: Kumatora
I am so glad to see someone mention Adeleine :D

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911

I don't doubt his popularity in Japan, but as an American video game fan who mostly discovered games through friends and commercials rather than the Internet I actually didn't know who Jack Frost was until probably six years ago or so when I was researching Virtual Boy games and heard about Jack Bros. Even then it took me another two years or so to realize that Jack Frost was a character from that Persona series I occasionally heard briefly mentioned online and not Atlus's interpretation of the Jack Frost widely known to the Western world.

Slimes, Chocobos, Cloud, and of course Pikachu and maybe Charizard if you count Pokémon—that's pretty much the entire list of JRPG characters that you could expect any average gamer in America to be able to recognize at all, I'd say, and even Slimes and Chocobos wouldn't make the cut if you limited it further to just "people that have a passing awareness of video games."

For characters like Jack, Slimes, Jibanyan, Doraemon, Hatsune, and Kenshiro to be widely recognized among younger generations, wow, I can't even imagine. Japan really is a magical place. Desu! ✨

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
As someone who is in the "we're totally getting something this week" camp, I'm not remotely surprised that we didn't get an announcement today. EVO Melee Grand Finals and The Big House 8 Smash 4 Grand Finals have entirely different levels of magnitude when it comes to viewership. I think we're just going to get an announcement from Nintendo's Twitter account sometime within the next few days, just like we did for the general Direct.

EDIT: I mean, I suppose they could announce it before Melee grands, but that's not gonna happen either imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, I still don't think we'll get anything at that tournament. I'll be amazed it happens though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What time will the Grand Finals be, matter of curiosity?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Probably in about an hour and a few minutes, if the sets don't take too long. Maybe less, but it depends.
So it does line up with morning in Japan so there's that.

You guys look at the stream, I'll be here looking at the twitter feeds.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So it does line up with morning in Japan so there's that.

You guys look at the stream, I'll be here looking at the twitter feeds.
I'm gonna sit back on this one and then have a **** eating grin if nothing happens.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm gonna sit back on this one and then have a **** eating grin if nothing happens.
If you're wrong do you have a **** eating frown or a regular smile because the **** you have to then eat is just metaphorical.

Where did that expression come from anyway? Why would anyone grin after eating that?

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
IF anything happens this week, I'm betting it's getting announced on Tuesday.

That being said I really hope something does get announced here soon.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So if you had to add one newcomer from your favorite series, who would be?
For me,
:ultlink:: Skull Kid
:ultsamus:: Sylux
:ultshulk:: Rex and Pyra
:ultmegaman:: Zero
:ultsimon:: Alcuard
:ultlink: Impa
:ultmarth: Tiki
:ultdk: Dixie Kong
:ultmario: Captain Toad
:ultkirby: Bandanna Waddle Dee
:ultbayonetta: Jeanne
:ultolimar: Alph w/Rock Pikmin (Upgrade from alt)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If you're wrong do you have a **** eating frown or a regular smile because the **** you have to then eat is just metaphorical.
I'm wrong but I still gain because there's Smash news. The only thing I lose if I lose is my pride.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman

Let's not forget that my boy can be in as an echo:

D

Deleted member

A meme summerizing how this thread currently feels;

Last edited by a moderator:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Oh, Devil Survivor.

Which raises one important question: which part of the S/MT franchise would they pick a character from first, that, the main series, Strange Journey or Persona? One wouldn't know where to begin.

Or Jack Bros, if they want to feel funny, hee-ho.
There was a cute teacher you could romance in Devil Survivor?

Time to replay it

Also since they went with popularity for Final Fantasy, so Persona is more likely imo, especially when mainline Persona goes multiplat soon

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I think Joker, Jack Frost, Flynn, Demi-Fiend, and the protagonist of SMT 5 are all possible for SMT/Persona representation.

Maybe DLC when SMT 5 gets closer? Just to promote it since it’s a Nintendo exclusive now.

If I had to guess though I’d say the protagonist of SMT 5, Corrin style or even Flynn since he was in two Nintendo exclusive games.

Though my preference is always Jack Frost

beans

Smash Lord
Let's not forget that my boy can be in as an echo:

Is that a Black Frost? Did they go for this pun?

There was a cute teacher you could romance in Devil Survivor?

Time to replay it

Also since they went with popularity for Final Fantasy, so Persona is more likely imo, especially when mainline Persona goes multiplat soon
Wait, Persona is going multiplat? Oh man, I hope all the RPG companies shift to the Switch, so that it becomes the ultimate weeb machine. Now we just need Neptunia with that Keiji Inafune summon and all Disgaea games stacked over each other.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Is that a Black Frost? Did they go for this pun?

Wait, Persona is going multiplat? Oh man, I hope all the RPG companies shift to the Switch, so that it becomes the ultimate weeb machine. Now we just need Neptunia with that Keiji Inafune summon and all Disgaea games stacked over each other.
Not confirmed yet, but it's looking pretty likely

Also isn't Neptunia already coming?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Aight unless you're talking about Q, which I'd hardly consider mainline, that series seems pretty content to be on Playstation.
I doubt it stays exclusive, especially after 5 blew up.

Also you damn well know Atlus isn't gonna leave that portable money on the table for some bs tradition

beans

Smash Lord
Not confirmed yet, but it's looking pretty likely

Also isn't Neptunia already coming?
Im pretty sure is not a mainline, is just a spinoff by the look of it.
My friend is big on Neptunia stuff so he knows more about it than I do.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
For characters like Jack, Slimes, Jibanyan, Doraemon, Hatsune, and Kenshiro to be widely recognized among younger generations, wow, I can't even imagine. Japan really is a magical place. Desu! ✨
Dang, I remember Doraemon airing on Disney XD and I loved it.

Now it's gone =/ (well, in USA(?))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom