• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

https://smashboards.com/threads/get-psyched-the-william-b-j-blazkowicz-support-thread.452620/

Turns out there is a support thread after all. Huh. *shrug* Not much has happened there though...

I really ought to pick up Wolfenstein II somewhere used some time.
I will only accept this if Mecha-Hitler will be a boss. Just IMAGINE playing as a Mario brother destroying the reincarnation of the Nazi leader.
You know you want it now, and now I'm sad that'll never happen.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Tl; DR :
Square are probably the reason Geno ain't in yet because they have nothing to win by putting it in the game, he will look out of place with the other third parties and have no future as a "product", and remind people that Square needs to be OKAY to put Geno in, also reminding the lost cameo from the Super star sage remake.
Cloud Inclusion perhaps did hurt Geno's chance as, for this one in a lifetime chance, Sakurai could have gotten Geno but ultimately went for Cloud and cloud only, the Mii costume even maybe hurting it's chance by quoting that Sakurai already talked about Geno and that this costume allowed him to have something "Close to that" as a playable characters

Sora's famous yadda yadda, if you say "muh disney" that's a non-argument
He explain Nintendo and Disney strong ties. That ultimately Nomura can, by himself, put Disney on board for Smash if Sakurai ever asks for him
Sakurai being a Kingdom Hearts Fan himself Talking about the interview between him and Nomura where he talk that after Snake reveal, he just searched to push the barrier even further for Smash in term of surprise, and that is after Cloud. People underestimate how Sora probably did in the ballot. And goes about Hashimoto's antic being a filthy cheeky **** *** troll in general and his tweet.
But that In the end, they need Nomura and Disney okay for him to be in.

In the end he say that both are worthy to be in smash, would be cool in smash, and should be in smash.
He decided to play the devil advocate for Geno and be the Lawyer for Sora since both have point that people forget/don't want to look at/
Issue with the lost cameo is that it assumes Geno would have some sort of "you get him for whatever" contract when he'd require 2 entirely separate things.
A contract for a small, forgettable RPG cameo that made no real sense in the first place.
And a contract for a game he has been long-requested for that he'd fit into.

Appearing out of place as a third party is a stupid argument as Richter exists.

The development time for Cloud AND Geno as DLC would've been pretty nuts I imagine. That's why I don't feel Cloud being in has any impact on Geno. The Ballot was used for Ultimate, I doubt it was used for 4.

BTW I totally get you're just transcribing the video, not shooting at you, just arguing my points with the video's.

beans

Smash Lord
I will only accept this if Mecha-Hitler will be a boss. Just IMAGINE playing as a Mario brother destroying the reincarnation of the Nazi leader.
You know you want it now, and now I'm sad that'll never happen.
Please, Mario would join him, along with Cloud. Together they will bring back the Axis Power

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Post characters that almost nobody but you wants in Smash
View attachment 168584
Almost everyone I want has a small fanbase. Grovyle, Maxwell, Fawful, Kamek, Decidueye (now), etc...
I'm in the same boat. Octoling's only hope is pretty much DLC, and even then I'm slightly scared that if Spirits is an Adventure Mode with Nintendo enemies, they'll just be made grunts in it.

Please, Sakurai, think of the Veemos. They deserve better:

I actually feel like Octolings could be base game. It wouldn't take much time at all to make them echoes, and that "Year of the Octoling" thing they said in the march direct caught my interest.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Idk guys, that Paper Mario pic looks sick. Like, who in their right minds would create a 3d character that has a 2d illusion to him? Not only that but he got the outline right as well. I'm trying to stay positive about it in order to keep the discussion alive lol.

Hopefully this guy is the Ken leaker and will post a more thorough picture soon

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Appearing out of place as a third party is a stupid argument as Richter exists.
I mean, Richter is an Echo, and became a things because Simon needed moves and used Richter's ones. Richter is also top 3 most famous Belmont alongside Soma/Alucard (Alucard who became an Assist trophy)
So shrug The others points you say are fair though, but in the end, It all goes into each and all interpretation of what we knows about the situation and interviews we have.

I'm still rooting for both of them to get in tbvh

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For characters I support without large followings, look at my sig, I run several support threads. Most popular one is Hilda at nearly 50, a lot of them have much less than that.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'll list the amount of Pokéball Pokémon we haven't seen yet, from across all games:

Arceus
Articuno
Beedrill
Blastoise
Bonsly
Celebi
Chansey
Chikorita
Clefairy
Cyndaquil
Dedenne
Fennekin
Fletchling
Gardevoir
Genesect
Gogoat
Groudon
Gulpin
Hitmonlee
Ho-oh
Inkay
Jirachi
Keldeo
Koffing
Kyurem
Manaphy
Marill
Meloetta
Moltres
Munchlax
Onix
Oshawott
Piplup
Porygon2
Raikou
Snivy
Spewpa
Starmie
Swirlix
Togepi
Torchic
Unown
Venusaur
Victini
Weavile
Weezing
Wobbuffet
Zapdos

Charizard used to be one of these fellows, but became playable later, so he doesn't count. Which of these Pokémon would you all like to see again?
Gardevoir as a character
So if you had to add one newcomer from your favorite series, who would be?
For me,
:ultlink:: Skull Kid
:ultsamus:: Sylux
:ultshulk:: Rex and Pyra
:ultmegaman:: Zero
:ultsimon:: Alcuard
:ultmarth:: Lyn (and if disconfirms are not allowed), Fjorm
:ultfox:: Krystal (^ otherwise) Miyu
:ultshulk:: Elma
:ultsonic:: Blaze the Cat

:ultcloud:: Terra
:ultryu:: Sakura
:ultzelda:: Impa (Hyrule Warriors (unique))
:ultpikachu:: Gardevoir
:ultpit:: Phosphora
: Amaterasu (It Is one of my favorite series)

EDIT: Added Blaze the Cat

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean, Richter is an Echo, and became a things because Simon needed moves and used Richter's ones. Richter is also top 3 most famous Belmont alongside Soma/Alucard (Alucard who became an Assist trophy)
So shrug The others points you say are fair though, but in the end, It all goes into each and all interpretation of what we knows about the situation and interviews we have.

No matter how you put it, Richter's in the game, and impact-wise isn't really near any other third party. (I'm glad he's in for the record).
Yeah, the "two SE reps" speculation fell off but it's still an awesome scenario imo.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I hope all DLC characters are at least semi-unique instead of being echoes.
If echoes are last-minute upgraded skins, then with no deadlines for DLC, there should be more time to flesh them out a bit more.

beans

Smash Lord

I think you mean top 3 protagonists, Soma and Alucard are the pretty much the opposite of a Belmont.
Man I stopped wishing for Soma a long time ago.
Shanoa though...
Jonathan and Charlotte as Ice Climbers Echo when?

Arcad5

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I hope all DLC characters are at least semi-unique instead of being echoes.
If echoes are last-minute upgraded skins, then with no deadlines for DLC, there should be more time to flesh them out a bit more.
I would take echoes as DLC if they came in bundles. Like for the price of 1 newcomer, there would be 3 echoes or something like that.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think you mean top 3 protagonists, Soma and Alucard are the pretty much the opposite of a Belmont.
Shanoa though...
True true~ My mistake I went as >Playable = Belmont shortcut.
But boy... Jonathan and Charlotte would be ****ing great too

D

Deleted member

Correction: Richter is THE most popular Belmont and Top 3 most popular CV character, constantly competing with Soma and Alucard for the title.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Remember that echoes also help to make balancing easier. The more unique characters they add the harder it is to balance them all. Echoes alleviate that a bit.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Shanoa though...
Yes but consider: Alucard gets in with a Soma echo.

(Shanoa would be sick as hell; I love OoE and she would be so fun to play I think)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Idk guys, that Paper Mario pic looks sick. Like, who in their right minds would create a 3d character that has a 2d illusion to him? Not only that but he got the outline right as well. I'm trying to stay positive about it in order to keep the discussion alive lol.

Hopefully this guy is the Ken leaker and will post a more thorough picture soon
If by "sick" you mean sick as in diseased, then you'd be correct.

I like to think I have an eye for consistency within picture leaks (as in, do the characters pictured fit into the Smash Bros. art style) as I correctly called the ESRB leak alongside the Ken leak, which will be proven. The Paper Mario in that image just doesn't look right.

D

Deleted member

Yes but consider: Alucard gets in with a Soma echo.

(Shanoa would be sick as hell; I love OoE and she would be so fun to play I think)
I haven't played whatever game Soma comes from but I can bet my ass that wouldn't work

beans

Smash Lord
True true~ My mistake I went as >Playable = Belmont shortcut.
But boy... Jonathan and Charlotte would be ****ing great too
I know right, their Final Smash could even be the Dual Crush: Greatest Five which is pretty much Megaman's Final Smash.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

I like to think I have an eye for consistency within picture leaks (as in, do the characters pictured fit into the Smash Bros. art style) as I correctly called the ESRB leak alongside the Ken leak, which will be proven. The Paper Mario in that image just doesn't look right.
Idk I've never seen a design or model that was that original done so well before. It s probably fake, yes, but it looks like a smash design. Many character designs in Smash are original, so I wouldn't doubt they'd do the same for someone like paper mario. It's just weird for a leak.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Y'know dual fighters aren't unheard of in Smash? Maya could make it in as well in so many ways, ranging from select moves, to Assist trophies, to final smashes.
Also, not to knock the Vs. Series, I love them, but let's be honest, not even counting how currently, MvC:I stripped away a lot of creativity, I can assure you, Smash has the higher consistency of creativity and faithfulness in movesets.

You really think Sakurai wouldn't be capable of crafting a proper moveset for Phoenix Wright?

Well then, I've got a bridge to the turnabout to sell ya.
1. the hostrpy of dual fighters in smash gave us icemclimbers and rosalina not a good precedent
2. mvci issues concern its cast and graphics. its BY FAR the most creative versus game in team structure and combo tree. anything you want to do thre is a a way to do it you just have to find it
3. phoenix wirght would be very wierd to represent in smash becuase his game mechanics dont transfer well. the only 3rd parties we've seen hace been fighters in their own series. cloud and bayonetta lucked out becuase the game itsekf already had systems and assests in place that could be used as a base for their abilities.
4. the vs. series has done a great job creating unique interesting movesets without relying on smash's over use of clone and semiclones. they have done everything from create characters for the versus series (amigo and some people suspect viper) to push th elimits on what a charatcer can be (dark phenix and modok). i love smash but the fact is as long as smash characters have limited movesets the representation is limited when it comes to 3rd parties.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Remember that echoes also help to make balancing easier. The more unique characters they add the harder it is to balance them all. Echoes alleviate that a bit.
I'm a bit of a skeptic on how difficult regular clones are to balance when we've had "Cloudonetta ft Corrin" and semi-clones seem to be universally worse than their originals.

Besides, Sakurai cares more about character uniqueness than balance.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/04/09/sakurai-on-balance/

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Post characters that almost nobody but you wants in Smash

Pretty much Phosphora and Monster Hunter. Well, Phosphora's case is more of others preferring Medusa, Viridi, or Hades as a KI choice, where MH's case is pretty much being overshadowed by other Capcom characters, well, and just other characters in general.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

To be fair, TPC, just about everyone called the Ken leak lol

Paper Mario leak isn't real, sadly.
And I mean that sadly.
Like, really sadly.
Really.

beans

Smash Lord
I haven't played whatever game Soma comes from but I can bet my *** that wouldn't work
You kinda right.
Soma's gimmick is that his games allows him to go Pokemon on monster's souls.
He has a chance gain control over a monsters soul, and gain an ability from it, be a passive boost, an attack or even a familiar.
My hopes would be him as an Alucard echo if Sakurai wasnt willing to try and recreate the soul mechanic from the Sorrow games.
My dream is a Soma unique with the moves being references to the souls he can use, like a Peach-like Floating (from the Medusa Head soul) or a Shulk like change in status (from the passive souls that gives him boosts)
A Miracle would be Soma getting in with the Souls system, being a Kirby like character, copying the abilities of other fighters.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
To be fair, TPC, just about everyone called the Ken leak lol

Paper Mario leak isn't real, sadly.
And I mean that sadly.
Like, really sadly.
Really.
I will say a lot of people said the Ken leak was fake until the OP posted a bigger picture with the other characters. Then everyone started calling it real. If the OP for the Paper Mario one does the same, then we'll at least have something interesting to talk about but for now I'm gonna call it a super original and good fake.

Yeah it really doesn't fit the style of Smash, and 3D Paper Mario just looks so uncanny
I mean, many characters were 2D only at one point. Pit and Ice Climbers were original 3D designs made for Smash. This paper mario pic has this 3D-2D vibe about him (He looks both) that I've never seen before. It would be super unique and interesting take on the character.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I haven't played whatever game Soma comes from but I can bet my *** that wouldn't work
Eh, one's Dracula's son and one's the reincarnation of Dracula and they both rely more on shortswords than rapiers...

You could flub it if you really tried, but it's a moot point considering Alucard's already an AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom