• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I was going to mention this. Isaac's assist, among others, had some wacky issues. Drill Dozer was cut too right? I remember her getting stuck in stage geometry on occasions pretty well.
Just a guess but here are the cut trophies from Brawl to 4:

Barbara: Old DK FS basically. Can't see it being cut due to technical issues. But it was similar to DK at the time so its possible it was removed for that reason.
Excitebikes: Like 12 different bikes go on the screen at once, so I can see this causing problems for the 3DS version
Helirin: Was super glitchy on certain stages and creates a rotating wall, which I'm sure messes with the 3DS.
Grey Fox: Cut due to Snake, back in Ultimate
Isaac: Similar to Helirin, had glitchy issues with the walls he creates due to his fist.
Jill: She gets stuck like you said with her drill.
Little Mac: Promoted
Mr. Risetti: An annoying waste of space. I'm glad its not an AT anymore tbh. Was funny the first few times then the dialogue overwelcomes its stay.
Ray Mk II: Ray did a crap ton of things on the screen and seemed pretty resource intensive

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My problem that keeps coming up in my head with Minecraft content and more so Steve is that every single character in Smash has been, just that, a character. Every single franchise represented in Smash has been from character driven games.

Pikmin, Mario, Sonic, Metal Gear, Yoshi, DK, Castlevania, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Splatoon even Duck Hunt and Game & Watch, and so on are all games driven by it's characters, the one exception is maybe ROB and that mother ****** is an exception to a LOT. Minecraft is not a character driven series. Steve is not really a "character" in the sense of the rest of Smash's representation. Steve is moreso an idea than anything else. There is no motive, there is no rhyme or reason to what you're doing in Minecraft thus the charm and characterization of that game falls on the shoulders of the world, the enemies, and animals that inhabit it.

In a sense Minecraft lines up in the way that Tetris, Sim City, Hanenbow, or Nintendogs would. Where the charm is in the surroundings, the stage of you will. Now you might say "why would they go after Minecraft content if they weren't going for a character?" Well that's not easily explained unless you take into account that maybe that's all Sakurai thought the series warranted, or that maybe Sakurai was approached by Mojang, or least likely went for Banjo and for Minecraft content alongside or in its stead after plans fell through. There are infinite possibilities.

I don't necessarily think that Steve is unlikely, but I think it is good to be open to the idea that just because Minecraft sells really well doesn't mean it has to be represented by a character. A stage, maybe even a creeper assist trophy, could work just as well.

Food for thought.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'm just gonna say, moreso than Missing ATs, Mii Costumes really do seem to be pointing to possible smash Representation in some form or another.

Protoman- Part of Mega-man's FS
Zero- Assist Trophy
Knuckles- Assist Trophy
Isabelle- Playable
Inkling- Playable
K. Rool- Playable
Chrom- Playable

Tails, Heihachi, Lloyd, Geno, Black Knight Majora's Mask (Skull Kid) and Monster Hunter are certainly some of the more notable costumes on their not yet translated from Mii Costume to being in the game in another form, not that I expect all of them to be.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
My problem that keeps coming up in my head with Minecraft content and more so Steve is that every single character in Smash has been, just that, a character. Every single franchise represented in Smash has been from character driven games.

Pikmin, Mario, Sonic, Metal Gear, Yoshi, DK, Castlevania, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Splatoon even Duck Hunt and Game & Watch, and so on are all games driven by it's characters, the one exception is maybe ROB and that mother ****** is an exception to a LOT. Minecraft is not a character driven series. Steve is not really a "character" in the sense of the rest of Smash's representation. Steve is moreso an idea than anything else. There is no motive, there is no rhyme or reason to what you're doing in Minecraft thus the charm and characterization of that game falls on the shoulders of the world, the enemies, and animals that inhabit it.

In a sense Minecraft lines up in the way that Tetris, Sim City, Hanenbow, or Nintendogs would. Where the charm is in the surroundings, the stage of you will. Now you might say "why would they go after Minecraft content if they weren't going for a character?" Well that's not easily explained unless you take into account that maybe that's all Sakurai thought the series warranted, or that maybe Sakurai was approached by Mojang, or least likely went for Banjo and for Minecraft content alongside or in its stead after plans fell through. There are infinite possibilities.

I don't necessarily think that Steve is unlikely, but I think it is good to be open to the idea that just because Minecraft sells really well doesn't mean it has to be represented by a character. A stage, maybe even a creeper assist trophy, could work just as well.

Food for thought.
I mean, Villager is just Steve?, but round, more or less. They're a blank slate with no real personality.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Food for thought.
Very interesting and very valid POV.

However I don't feel Minecraft lines up with those franchises. It's in a weird middle space IMO.

Steve is his own character. It's just a fact. He's got merch, a name, the whole shebang.

I feel it'd be as comparable as anything else. The character of Steve is a sort of icon at this point. He's a face of the game. I feel that's more than enough but again that's entirely just me.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

Food for thought.
I don't see how G&W or Duck Hunt are character driven. Even Villager doesn't exactly have a lot of "character" to him. You give him the character, much in the same way you do with Steve.

If what you mean is they are icons/mascots of their given games and series, well Steve can be considered a pretty big mascot for Minecraft alongside the creeper.

I mean

He's actually got a NAME for one thing

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I mean, Villager is just Steve?, but round, more or less. They're a blank slate with no real personality.
Villager is capable of emoting and communicating with people though. That emotive and social aspect just isn't true for Steve.

Shroob

Sup?
Villager is capable of emoting and communicating with people though. That emotive and social aspect just isn't true for Steve.
I think 'social aspect' can be taken in several ways, because since Steve? is an avatar, you can customize him however you want, meaning that when playing multiplayer, theoretically every 'Steve?' can be different.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If Steve where in, he'd represent the gameplay of Minecraft through his moveset. Maybe he wouldn't have a gimmick, but his moveser would still represent building the same way Villager's represents collecting. That's how a lot of Smash Brothers characters operate.

Having Steve as playable would totally be an appropriate way to represent the franchise. I'm not going to rule out the possibility of us just getting a stage or the like, but I don't think its fair to just shoot Steve down either.

Last edited:

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
The "Steve is not a character, it's an avatar" argument is pretty dumb tbh, I mean, Corrin, Robin, Pokemon Trainer, Inkling, and Villager are all avatars with different levels of customization

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Wait, I got it, Spirits mode is a new stage builder based on Minecraft, cracked it, pack it up everybody

Chrono.

I will be inexpressibly confused if they went through the immense work of licensing Minecraft for a stage builder theme but we'll just have to see
I mean they went through licencing Monster Hunter for a boss. I imagine it's because they thought MH was well represented by only having a boss fight, just like Minecraft would be well represented with a stage or stage builder tools.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

Danpal65

Smash Lord

osby

Smash Obsessed

Food for thought.
While I'm open to Minecraft only adding a stage, I'm not sure if I would call Game&Watch character driven. Or Miis or Wii Fit.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Ah yeah, reddit has some new picture leaks they're chewing on from 4chan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9m37ub/spoilers_more_most_likely_fake_renders_have/

Make of them what you will. The Skull Kid render looks like literally every Skull Kid model ever.
Not a fan of that Steve render. I think the one in the Arle/Steve leak looked much better, the one with him carrying the TNT. Although to be fair, that one was only partly shown due to being in an icon during battle, so it might have looked worse in the whole render.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't see how G&W or Duck Hunt are character driven. Even Villager doesn't exactly have a lot of "character" to him. You give him the character, much in the same way you do with Steve.

If what you mean is they are icons/mascots of their given games and series, well Steve can be considered a pretty big mascot for Minecraft alongside the creeper.

I mean

He's actually got a NAME for one thing
"Character Driven" it means that the motivations of the character pushes the game forward. Duck Hunt as a conglomerate character kind of falls out of this boundary but the dog still does have a motive. To catch ducks. Ducks have the motive to get away. The shooter has the motive of well, shoot ducks.

Game & Watch in all of his different carnations is working towards a goal. I cant remember the name of all his games but each one of his moves represents a different motive.

Villager has more character than either of those. He's the most emotional character in Animal Crossing and the only one in there who actually has a goal. Even if that is getting out of ****ing debt. Not having a name doesn't make him not have character motivation.

Steve? However, well, first of all isn't even a name. It's more of a moniker. Something that people can call him for convenience purposes but not necessarily his name, hence the ?. "He's" mostly meant to be the catalyst for you. You drop into a blank canvas of a world and are told "go wild" there's no backstory, no set up, no rhyme or reason to what you're doing in this world there's no CHARACTER motivation. Only yours. The game is based on what motivates you to play. The same could be said for a Sim City builder, or a Nintendog Owner, or Tetris player, etc. The same can't be said for any character in Smash EXCEPT maybe ROB who is, y'know, not even a game character.

It's just one thing I've noticed. It's not a death note towards Steve but I could see it possibly being a reason why Sakurai COULD pass up on the character.

Last edited:

Chrono.

That Skull Kid is also really low poly.

Like they took the in-game model for the render instead of the actual render artwork.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Ah yeah, reddit has some new picture leaks they're chewing on from 4chan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9m37ub/spoilers_more_most_likely_fake_renders_have/

Make of them what you will. The Skull Kid render looks like literally every Skull Kid model ever.
Lol the image with Skull Kid has the Geno character select box offset from the rest of the others. Definitely fake

Not a fan of that Steve render. I think the one in the Arle/Steve leak looked much better, the one with him carrying the TNT. Although to be fair, that one was only partly shown due to being in an icon during battle, so it might have looked worse in the whole render.
To be quite honest, I'm also having a hard time thinking Sakurai would put that version of Steve in Smash. All of his characters, including Game and Watch/Rob/WFT, are all super expressive. This model is exactly the opposite of that.

Whether or not people like Minecraft Storymode, I'd more imagine character designs to be inspired more from there.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
"Character Driven" it means that the motivations of the game pushes the story of the game forward.
Of course, how could I forget that Wii Fit has one of the most compelling stories in all of gaming?
Steve? However, well, first of all isn't even a name.
Kind of like "Villager" or "Wii Fit Trainer"?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
"Character Driven" it means that the motivations of the character pushes the game forward. Duck Hunt as a conglomerate character kind of falls out of this boundary but the dog still does have a motive. To catch ducks. Ducks have the motive to get away. The shooter has the motive of well, shoot ducks.

Game & Watch in all of his different carnations is working towards a goal. I cant remember the name of all his games but each one of his moves represents a different motive.

Villager has more character than either of those. He's the most emotional character in Animal Crossing and the only one in there who actually has a goal. Even if that is getting out of ****ing debt. Not having a name doesn't make him not have character motivation.

Steve? However, well, first of all isn't even a name. It's more of a moniker. Something that people can call him for convenience purposes but not necessarily his name, hence the ?. "He's" mostly meant to be the catalyst for you. You drop into a blank canvas of a world and are told "go wild" there's no backstory, no set up, no rhyme or reason to what you're doing in this world there's no CHARACTER motivation. Only yours. The game is based on what motivates you to play. The same could be said for a Sim City builder, or a Nintendog Owner, or Tetris player, etc. The same can't be said for any character in Smash EXCEPT maybe ROB who is, y'know, not even a game character.

It's just one thing I've noticed. It's not a death note towards Steve but I could see it possibly being a reason why Sakurai COULD pass up on the character.
I think you're reading far too into what constitutes for character inclusion in the first place, especially since you think Sakurai may consider this. I think Sakurai doesn't consider this in anyway what so ever. He put representatives of Wii Fitt, Duck Hunt, G&W, and Miis into these games without much trouble, there's nothing about Steve's lack of character motivation (which I would actually define as "survive" since in the main/original game mode of Minecraft, no matter what you want to do, you have to get food, shelter, and fight off monsters, you HAVE to survive) which would limit him as a Smash fighter. He is a mascot. He has unique moveset potential.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Of course, how could I forget that Wii Fit has one of the most compelling stories in all of gaming?
Actually, Wii Fit Trainer has one of the most tragic and compelling backstory of all Smash Bros characters. Of course, it's all in the guidebooks and the Japan-only manga adaptation, so it's understandable you don't know about it.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Wait why is there a possibility of news tomorrow?

I only need the ten words or less version. It's not the Trinen thing is it?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Food for thought.
Wii Fit is also not a series that's character driven either, and you can argue that examples like Duck Hunt aren't really character driven either as the focus is just on the shooting minigame with very little on the Dog, Duck or even the player themselves. Additionally, as mentioned above, Steve? serves the same role as the Villager when it comes to the player: both are required to interact with the world of the game and thus the character of Steve? functions as the means to connect the player to the game.

Honestly, this reminds me of the argument against Ridley/Dark Samus where fans would state that they shouldn't be playable as Metroid is all about isolationism and having only Samus works for that. While the thematic of the game can mean that the franchise can be represented through other means, that doesn't mean that a playable character isn't an option at all and sometimes those franchises can lend characters that would be enjoyable options in their own right. WFT, Villager/Isabelle, ROB, and so on are great examples of that, Wii Fit could've just had the Balance Board as an Item, AC could've remained as a series of stages and items, ROB could've stuck to being a quirky NPC enemy, but ultimately those options were overlooked for playable status because Sakurai saw potential in exploring those options. The same can happen to Steve, just because Minecraft is focused on the world of building doesn't mean that Steve can't serve as a playable character, it's all a matter of what they see the franchise bringing to the table.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wii Fit Trainer is the ONLY character in Wii Fit. The trainer has the motivation to get the player fit. They didn't add "Wii Fit Player" to the roster. Besides that, it doesn't have to have a complex story, or a narrative for that matter. Just a motive.
Tell this to the person that said Steve? had a name. I was just pointing out that Steve? wasn't a name as much as it was a "Villager" or "Wii Fit Trainer".

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Wait why is there a possibility of news tomorrow?

I only need the ten words or less version. It's not the Trinen thing is it?
Big House is a tournament and maybe Nintendo make announcement

EDIT:
'd

Last edited:

Chrono.

Honestly, this reminds me of the argument against Ridley/Dark Samus where fans would state that they shouldn't be playable as Metroid is all about isolationism and having only Samus works for that.
People actually said this?

Jesus.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wow guys, when I said food for thought I didn't mean "this is my gospel". I just thought it was an interesting thing that Steve? doesn't quite have that the others do. And that is a motivation.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Steve became his official name a while back.

I also find it disingenuous to say the Game&Watch games represent a different motive when most of them are very simple high score chasers. Juggling balls for as long as possible doesn't seem anymore motivationally driven then surviving in and exploring an unkown world.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
Just a guess but here are the cut trophies from Brawl to 4:

Barbara: Old DK FS basically. Can't see it being cut due to technical issues. But it was similar to DK at the time so its possible it was removed for that reason.
Excitebikes: Like 12 different bikes go on the screen at once, so I can see this causing problems for the 3DS version
Helirin: Was super glitchy on certain stages and creates a rotating wall, which I'm sure messes with the 3DS.
Grey Fox: Cut due to Snake, back in Ultimate
Isaac: Similar to Helirin, had glitchy issues with the walls he creates due to his fist.
Jill: She gets stuck like you said with her drill.
Little Mac: Promoted
Mr. Risetti: An annoying waste of space. I'm glad its not an AT anymore tbh. Was funny the first few times then the dialogue overwelcomes its stay.
Ray Mk II: Ray did a crap ton of things on the screen and seemed pretty resource intensive
It's also possible Mr. Resetti was cut because Animal Crossing has been straying from marketing him as one of the mainstay characters, ever since the whole "retirement" thing they did in New Leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom