• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Imagine not adding Rex from Xenoblade 2. Sakurai would have taken the worst decision in his life
Assuming the Roster was Finalized in 2015 while Rex was Finalized in 2016, I'm sorry but it doesn't look like it's happening...
Would you take Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X as a Substitute?
Imo, she has way more move set potential with her use of both swords and guns...

Last edited:

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
Anyone heard about the accidental tweet sakurai tweeted about shadow and geno? i wanna make sure if my friends are not trolling me or if it's real

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not at all. I've been saying that since before we knew Ultimate was a thing.

People who were surprised about Isabelle just weren't paying attention.
Does "most predictable" mean the same thing as "most predicted"?

Because I watched a LOT of prediction lists that came out after the Inkling trailer, and almost none of them had Isabelle. Captain Toad, Spring Man, Decidueye, Rex & Pyra and even some 3P characters all showed up WAY more than Isabelle did.

In fact, she barely showed up at all until echoes were revealed and everyone started predicting she could be a Villager echo. If she was so predictable, then why were so few people predicting her?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Imagine not adding Rex from Xenoblade 2. Sakurai would have taken the worst decision in his life
I'm on the Elma train but it wouldn't surprise me to see him turn up as DLC. Add Lora while you're at it, why not.

Anyone heard about the accidental tweet sakurai tweeted about shadow and geno? i wanna make sure if my friends are not trolling me or if it's real
Fake, the dude who made the picture admitted it was for a fun hoax an hour later.

Last edited:

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
Assuming the Roster was Finalized in 2015 while Rex was Finalized in 2016, I'm sorry but it doesn't look like it's happening...
Would you take Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X as a Substitute?
i never played the game elma is in so i don't want her
Rex is (unfortunately) a lock for DLC imo
If that so it''s fine all that matters is he joins the game

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Do you guys think they could drop a Robin/Lucina style trailer next week with no promotion at all, and just catch us off guard ?
I don't think it'll catch us off guard, because we're expecting either one to happen :p

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
Is the next direct this month october?

Is it possbile for Noctis to join smash as dlc or base game? I mean cloud joined so...

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry guys, I am having a hard time catching up. What makes people think that we are having an announcement today or tomorrow?

When should the direct or trailer be aired then?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry guys, I am having a hard time catching up. What makes people think that we are having an announcement today or tomorrow?

When should the direct or trailer be aired then?

Thanks!
The "NEW" was removed from the fighter section on the site, and apparently the Japanese fighter playlist was updated a few days ago.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Reminder that these were the characters considered most likely for the base roster by people around here pre-E3 according to the Rate Their Chance thread.

1. Rex and Pyra (64.69%)
2. Decidueye (57.87%)
3. Takamaru (57.56%)
4. Dixie Kong (57.51%)
5. Bandana Dee (56.64%)
6. Captain Toad (48.60%)
7. King K. Rool (48.49%)
8. Rayman (48.29%)
9. Isabelle (46.09%)
10. Elma (42.60%)
So far, only two of these characters have been confirmed and they didn't make it into the top 5 with Takamaru (number 2) and Captain Toad (number 6) being disconfirmed.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Does "most predictable" mean the same thing as "most predicted"?

Because I watched a LOT of prediction lists that came out after the Inkling trailer, and almost none of them had Isabelle. Captain Toad, Spring Man, Decidueye, Rex & Pyra and even some 3P characters all showed up WAY more than Isabelle did.

In fact, she barely showed up at all until echoes were revealed and everyone started predicting she could be a Villager echo. If she was so predictable, then why were so few people predicting her?
It was a combination of different things that caused people to doubt her. Some people thought she was "too innocent" to be put in Smash, some thought she wasn't requested enough, and some thought Villager represented AC fine by himself.

I think most people considered Isabelle to be a character who "made sense", but there were enough counterarguements against her to make them doubt she'd actually get in, similar to Ridley before Verge. Unlike the latter though, I don't remember many people being passionate about getting Isabelle in Smash, so they probably didn't care enough to explain why they thought she was likely/unlikely.

Last edited:

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
None of this information is new and I bet most of you have come down to this conclusion, but I might as well say this anyway.

I see the next two months taking a few options. We have one to two more announcements. Either in October or November or both. One of these will be a direct so that they can show off whatever Spirits mode is and more. The possible other is a single character trailer. Seeing how things are going with the whole Smash Youtube listing and stuff, we will likely have two more announcements. I can only see 1 to 3 more newcomers being announced(excluding echoes). If there is only a direct left, there are 1 to 2 more characters left, and if there are is one announcement trailer and direct, 2 to 3. This is because Sakurai tends to only showcase a trailer at the beginning or the end of a direct. Incineroar is pretty much confirmed to take one of those spots, so we have the possibility of having no more newcomers to two more remaining after it.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
if i'm not mistaken xenoblade 2 did well and sakurai himself played it and praised it.
Xenoblade 2 may have sold well, but New Leaf transcends it in terms of sales.

I think most people considered Isabelle to be a character who "made sense"
That was pretty much my view on the idea of Isabelle being in Smash. But the only character I ever thought was a shoo-in from day 1 was Inkling.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Care to explain why you hate him so much instead of just always going "nyehhhh Rex bad nyehhhh"?
I dislike Xenoblade 2's base game, and would rather have Elma if I had to choose an Xenoblade rep. Taking it a bit further, Rex is a big part of why I dislike Xenoblade 2.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
There's two big Ultimate tournaments this weekend I think.. seems like a great moment to announce a Direct I'd say.
Hmmm the only one I knew of was the Detroit one which I assumed wasn't a big deal like EVO....but it is advertised on the official Smash site... It's possible we could get an announcement on October 7th, similar to what happened at EVO. That's what I'm hoping for right now.

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
I dislike Xenoblade 2's base game, and would rather have Elma if I had to choose an Xenoblade rep. Taking it a bit further, Rex is a big part of why I dislike Xenoblade 2.
He may not be a great character. but i just want a character i know. a character i played the game of. many smash characters are unfamiliar to me. inlkings would be the first character in smash 4 and 5 that i'm familiar with

osby

Smash Obsessed
And I'm sure there's plenty of people here who would make that statement, vice-versa.

We all have different tastes. Some prefer the anthro secretary doggie, some prefer the scuba diver JRPG protagonist.
I actually wouldn't mind seeing both in. That being said, I think Isabelle "deserves" being in Smash more due to being easier to make and coming from a bigger franchise.

She'd also be a less controversial addition but that's another topic.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Who cares about isabelle. If sakurai adds her and not rex i'm done with the game
A lot of people actually. Isabelle is quite a big deal. Actually she's a bigger deal than Rex overall if we're talking PR and the success of her games/series. And this is coming from a Xenoblade fan.

Part of life is accepting things that you can't control. Rex missed the deadline for Ultimate's base roster, meaning it'd be quite a stretch for him to make it at launch. There's precedent with Greninja, but its unlikely. Elma probably has a better shot of being in at launch simply because her game arrived at the perfect time to meet deadlines.

Also, we both know that you'll still buy the game if Rex doesn't make it.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Since people are talking about Rex. I want to say that I never had a problem with him and actually like him as a protagonist. Besides Ai Weaver being a bad VA and his clothes being odd to most, I don't really see why he is disliked.

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
I actually wouldn't mind seeing both in. That being said, I think Isabelle "deserves" being in Smash more due to being easier to make and coming from a bigger franchise.

She'd also be a less controversial addition but that's another topic.
Xenoblade franchise is big itself so... shulk made a ruckus when he joined smash

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Reminder that these were the characters considered most likely for the base roster by people around here pre-E3 according to the Rate Their Chance thread.

So far, only two of these characters have been confirmed and they didn't make it into the top 5 with Takamaru (number 2) and Captain Toad (number 6) being disconfirmed.
I remember people bashing on me in the RTC thread for saying Dark Pit was 100% chance after Palutena's trailer, saying I was raising the score of a character with zero chances and my vote should not be counted. Honesty the community's opinion rarely reflect the reality.

Last edited:

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people actually. Isabelle is quite a big deal. Actually she's a bigger deal than Rex overall if we're talking PR and the success of her games/series. And this is coming from a Xenoblade fan.

Part of life is accepting things that you can't control. Rex missed the deadline for Ultimate's base roster, meaning it'd be quite a stretch for him to make it at launch. There's precedent with Greninja, but its unlikely. Elma probably has a better shot of being in at launch simply because her game arrived at the perfect time to meet deadlines.

Also, we both know that you'll still buy the game if Rex doesn't make it.
yeah for dem inklings :ultinkling::ultinkling::ultinkling:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I remember people bashing on me for saying Dark Pit was 100% chance after Palutena's trailer, saying I was raising the score of a character with zero chances and my vote should not be counted. Honesty the community's opinion rarely reflect the reality.
Wait, people didn't get Dark Pit was playable after that trailer? Then again, Pyrosphere incident was a thing, so...

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Hmmm the only one I knew of was the Detroit one which I assumed wasn't a big deal like EVO....but it is advertised on the official Smash site... It's possible we could get an announcement on October 7th, similar to what happened at EVO. That's what I'm hoping for right now.
The Big House tournaments are among the most major Smash tournaments of all time, next to Genesis. A teaser for a Direct at Big House 8 seems very possible.

D

Deleted member

I remember people bashing on me in the RTC thread for saying Dark Pit was 100% chance after Palutena's trailer, saying I was raising the score of a character with zero chances and my vote should not be counted. Honesty the community's opinion rarely reflect the reality.
RTC is only really good when a nonsense character, like Lucas from The Wizard, gets enough nominations to be rated.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
why? the more sword fighters the better
I don't hate swordfighters, and a lot of characters I like use swords. I'd lose my mind if, say, Crono or Isaac (even if he's primarily magic) or Squall/Zack Fair/Sephiroth/Impa/2B/Lloyd Irving/Travis Touchdown were added. But out of every new Squeenix rep they could add, Noctis is by far the least exciting for me from a character standpoint. I don't enjoy him, I don't enjoy FFXV, and he's just such a...shill character, I guess. It's complicated.

hell I wouldn't even say no to more fire emblem reps.with swords if they played differently from the ones we have; I really like fire emblem

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
He may not be a great character. but i just want a character i know. a character i played the game of. many smash characters are unfamiliar to me. inlkings would be the first character in smash 4 and 5 that i'm familiar with
Then why don't you try playing the games of the characters you're unfamiliar with? Who knows, you might end up liking them!

Smooth Criminal

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
yeah for dem inklings :ultinkling::ultinkling::ultinkling:
You should definitely familiarize yourself with some other Nintendo IPs. Smash is really enjoyable when you have a history with Nintendo's beloved games. I've played games that feature more than half of the current Ultimate roster and it really enhances my enjoyment of the experience.

Inversely, I played many Nintendo games BECAUSE their characters were in Smash and got me intrigued. Its a great opportunity for you. Xenoblade 2 is a decent game but there's a lot more to offer in these franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom