• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
IF we get ken incineroar soon here (like next week) and that isnt the end...

i'd guess Geno or Sora or maybe Steve? for the final directs "big" character reveal (maybe a dragon quest character instead, whatever the square rep is).

probably an echo or two left as well: shadow/dixie make the most sense to me (i think dixie is better represented as an unique fighter and not as an echo but shes the final really deserving purely nintendo character thats not in the game in any form yet and her as an echo just makes her easy to include). theres also impa, medusa, black knight, and black shadow who all have some what of a chance imo (potentially hilda/octolings but im leaning more towards no on those).

theres a few other characters who might surprise us and make it in (if we do have a few more beyond ken/incineroar) waddle dee, elma, isaac, skull kid, rhythm heaven rep, maybe paper mario... some of these might be held off for dlc, some just might not have made the cut, but MAYBE one of them made it in base roster.

theres a few other potential third party characters: heihachi/lloyd for a second namco rep, rayman has a shot, same with shantae, maybe banjo if steve isnt playable but just minecraft "content" in smash so microsoft is on board. i feel most of these are more likely dlc choices than base roster right now though. shantae might be an assist trophy too(if shes in at all), also dante MAYBE has a chance base roster if matt walker was straight up lying when he said "no dante" but im not at all holding out hope for him.

I obviously dont expect all of this or even close, just laying out who i think is "possible". I feel like best case scenario is like 5-6 fighters more likely 3-5 though (with of course box theory ken/incineroar and thats it as the absolute worst case scenario).

best case scenario might look like: ken/incneroar/geno/shadow/dixie/waddle dee (though admittedly steve? is more likely than waddle dee i just think best case scenario is minecraft is a stage/assist trophy and not a playable character but thats my personal preference).

middle ground would be like 4 more: ken/incineroar/shadow/geno or something close to that (or go with like dixie/sora if you prefer over shadow/geno) a single unique newcomer and a single unique echo for two more reveal cycles. This is if the square rep is in base roster, otherwise it could be Steve? and an echo for the final reveal though i feel thats a controversial final reveal so im leaning towards "minecraft content" and not playable steve? at the moment.

worst case is of course: ken/incineroar and thats it. though i think even then the square rep is either a surprise reveal for the base roster at the end OR revealed as DLC before launch.
Those are all very good points.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I actually wouldn't mind seeing both in. That being said, I think Isabelle "deserves" being in Smash more due to being easier to make and coming from a bigger franchise.

She'd also be a less controversial addition but that's another topic.
I can't downplay Isabelle's criticism and throw Rex under the bus. As much as I like her, she had her own share of controversy too.

Don't know if Rex would be better received as DLC, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get in at some point. XC2 might not be remembered because of it's wonderful protagonist or incredible character designs, but the game was a huge milestone for the franchise. I don't think anyone can deny that.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
He may not be a great character. but i just want a character i know. a character i played the game of. many smash characters are unfamiliar to me. inlkings would be the first character in smash 4 and 5 that i'm familiar with
Looks like there's a reason for you to play more games then

I Still don't get why rob is a thing in smash...
He's a significant part of Nintendo history

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
ROB basically saved gaming after the video game crash of 83... He was used as a Trojan Horse to sell the NES, and it worked! If it weren't for ROB, Smash Bros would probably not even exist. If you ask me, I'm surprised he wasn't in sooner...
I hate it when people say that ROB has no Place in smash, despite evidence on the contrary

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ROB basically saved gaming after the video game crash of 83... If you ask me, I'm surprised he wasn't in sooner...
With that heroes vs. villains theme going on, we should get the villain of R.O.B.'s franchise in here; E.T.

:4pacman:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait, people didn't get Dark Pit was playable after that trailer? Then again, Pyrosphere incident was a thing, so...
It's not that outlandish. He didn't get a splash screen or gameplay footage. There was no reason to think he was playable, especially since he wasn't a veteran like Game and Watch was.

The prevailing theory was that he'd somehow be a stage boss on Palutena's Temple.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
With that heroes vs. villains theme going on, we should get the villain of R.O.B.'s franchise in here; E.T.

Atari 2600 Pac-Man is gonna be Pac's echo.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Because he saved home console video games. When the NES was set to launch, it happened right after the video game crash in the early 80s brought about by Atari's poor business practices. People were skeptical that games had a future and were prepared to let them go to the wayside.

However, Nintendo averted disinterest in their new system by advertising a robot peripheral called R.O.B. that would play some games with you. Games had become lame, but robots were cool, so R.O.B. helped Nintendo move consoles. Even though his two games were mediocre, people who bought the NES and R.O.B. got access to the great classic games like Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda, which renewed faith in gaming.

Thus, R.O.B.'s advertising helped save gaming as we know it. His history is one of the most important histories.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Wait, people didn't get Dark Pit was playable after that trailer? Then again, Pyrosphere incident was a thing, so...
People were hell bent Lucina was a costume, even having her own page on the site... Sakurai even had to make a statement on this. Honesty people can't overcome their own bias.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The Big House tournaments are among the most major Smash tournaments of all time, next to Genesis. A teaser for a Direct at Big House 8 seems very possible.
Ah I did not know this! Seeing as Ultimate is available to play there as well I could definitely see Nintendo dropping an announcement. Ok time to look at the schedule for Big House and decide when the best time for them to drop it is...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's not that outlandish. He didn't get a splash screen or gameplay footage. There was no reason to think he was playable, especially since he wasn't a veteran like Game and Watch was.

The prevailing theory was that he'd somehow be a stage boss on Palutena's Temple.
And that theory wasn't as crazy as it sounds. The 2014 April Direct had "HP" at the top of the screen during a shot of Palutena's Temple, so we were convinced that there would be some type of hazard on the stage.

We never did get an explanation on that did we? As far as I'm aware, there aren't any bridges or platforms that would require HP.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice

i would think the Virtual Boy would be a much more fitting villain for ROB since it was a failed Nintendo console lmao

SonicMario

Smash Master
I admit I didn't think it meant anything. And let's be fair here, they didn't give Dark Pit the splash art plus at the time the trailer was made. Dark Pit might of still been planned as only an alt. costume of Pit rather then the (retroactively) echo fighter he turned out to be.

D

Deleted member

And that theory wasn't as crazy as it sounds. The 2014 April Direct had "HP" at the top of the screen during a shot of Palutena's Temple, so we were convinced that there would be some type of hazard on the stage.

We never did get an explanation on that did we? As far as I'm aware, there aren't any bridges or platforms that would require HP.
The bridge on Palutena's Temple breaks when it takes enough damage. unless you're in 8-Player Smash

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It could either be on the 5th OR on the 7th. IF ANY announcement.
I'm like 90% sure we're getting an announcement. I've seen enough evidence it to be likely.
i would think the Virtual Boy would be a much more fitting villain for ROB since it was a failed Nintendo console lmao
"All hail the Virtual Boy"

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Worth mentioning ROB wasn't the only reason why the NES saved gaming. HEAVILY controlling what third parties released also helped.

Though that's a double edged sword

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Ridley was a coinflip had been rejected in earlier games and it's hard know if Sakurai have changed.
K. Rool was popular but after 4 people were unsure about still putting him as likely.
Predicting what spesific clones are actually added isn't that easy so Daisy wasn't that obvious, but after the concept of Echoes were introduced, and therefore pretty guaranteed to be more clones, Dark Samus and Chrom were obvious (tho, most people who chrom was echo of)
Not counting leaks Simon would not be an easy guess until after we knew Snake was back and Bomberman an assist. Richter straight out was a surprise.
The only real thing Isabelle had going against here were the possibility of Sakurai unpredictably going "too innocent".
Does "most predictable" mean the same thing as "most predicted"?

Because I watched a LOT of prediction lists that came out after the Inkling trailer, and almost none of them had Isabelle. Captain Toad, Spring Man, Decidueye, Rex & Pyra and even some 3P characters all showed up WAY more than Isabelle did.

In fact, she barely showed up at all until echoes were revealed and everyone started predicting she could be a Villager echo.
Most Prediction lists are wishlists in disguise.
This was really obvious during smash 4 speculation when people refused to put miis on their prediction lists just because they didn't like them.
Isabelle wasn't that common because the Smash fan Animal Crossing fan overlap isn't quite that big, and some of those are Tom Nook fans that can't admit that Isabelle is the mascot now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I dunno, E.T. is an actual character from a classic film and his game has had a bigger impact on the industry in a way no other non-game character has. He also made a return to gaming recently.

download.jpg

He's relevant and historically significant. Nintendo also has ties to Universal through the theme park stuff, so I think E.T.'s more likely.

Am I allowed to make an E.T. support thread?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The other thing to remember with Dark Pit's reveal is that there was precedence for Stage Bosses to be revealed in the stinger at the end of the trailer thanks to Yellow Devil.

Hell, Metal Face further solidified that, though that was obviously after we knew Dark Pit was playable. :p

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I dunno, E.T. is an actual character from a classic film and his game has had a bigger impact on the industry in a way no other non-game character has. He also made a return to gaming recently.

View attachment 168084

He's relevant and historically significant. Nintendo also has ties to Universal through the theme park stuff, so I think E.T.'s more likely.

Lowkey now I want ET in smash as this eldritch abomination that causes ruin everywhere he goes.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226

View attachment 168084

Can't wait for his title card be
E.T. CRASHES THE VIDEO GAME MARKET!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is the ideal roster. You may not like it, but this is what peak representation looks like.

ideal.png

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Most important thing for me: does Incineroar bring a Pokémon Sun/Moon stage? That gives my Chorus Kids more chance!

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
Because he saved home console video games. When the NES was set to launch, it happened right after the video game crash in the early 80s brought about by Atari's poor business practices. People were skeptical that games had a future and were prepared to let them go to the wayside.

However, Nintendo averted disinterest in their new system by advertising a robot peripheral called R.O.B. that would play some games with you. Games had become lame, but robots were cool, so R.O.B. helped Nintendo move consoles. Even though his two games were mediocre, people who bought the NES and R.O.B. got access to the great classic games like Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda, which renewed faith in gaming.

Thus, R.O.B.'s advertising helped save gaming as we know it. His history is one of the most important histories.
damn thx for the info

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
You know I've noticed something. Whenever I bring up characters like Dante, Leon Kennedy, Jin Kazama IIRC, and Doomguy being in Smash, people more or less tend to not be excited. Not I'm not denying that there's some people out there that support these characters, but I feel as if any four of those characters would be a rather divisive inclusion if any of them got into Smash.

I am right in thinking that?
They would be like Bayo. I know alot of people like her and alot don't. I am neutral to her inclusion personally. Doomguy would have to be super watered down to get into Smash. He would probably fit better in Mortal Kombat tbh.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Doomguy would have to be super watered down to get into Smash. He would probably fit better in Mortal Kombat tbh.
He doesn't need to do glory kills, and has appeared in T-rated games before.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The edgy angel who didn’t get his own splash screen and made a quick cameo in Palutena’s trailer (and makes an even less obvious appearance in her poster)...and how many assumed he’d be an assist or a boss character at best...so yes a majority didn’t think Kid Icarus would get a 3rd playable character

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
At this rate that big red pokemon is 100% joining smash. in each smash game there's a new pokemon
Yup, it's the only franchise to have a newcomer added in every game...
Not sure if it's mandatory by the Pokemon Company, or the fact that having over 700 potential fighter choices makes it really viable...

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

View attachment 168084

When E.T. makes sense as a character you know you’ve done something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom