• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
What is Dahlia?
A snow bunny blade in Xenoblade 2. People were throwing a fit because of her design.
She's obtainable at the game's gacha pool. You could go through an entire playthrough and never get her. Dahlia was one of my last rare blades I got from the pool, and I got her after beating the game. She's got a southern accent in the dub. Gameplay wise, she's not even good. For one, she's a healer and there's already another ice blade healer that is superior to her in every way: Ursula. If Loritha's "You will pay for your insolence" doesn't faze you, then prepare to endure the hardship that is...
Because Ursula's blade quest requires you do a bunch of merc missions. Over and over and over and over and over and over until you get like 99/99/50 stamps from three different categories. Yeah Ursula's quest is a pain, but if you successfully beat it, you got one of the best healers in the game at your disposal. Get her early so you can clear it as soon as you can. Late game becomes a chore.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Not excusing Dahlia's weird-ass proportions, but she's a pretty nice character personality-wise IMO.

Boreas, Wulfric and Zenobia are my favorite rare blades in the game. Especially Wulfric, he's such a cool guy.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly, seeing people complain about Pyra's design is making me nostalgic. It's a nice change from the typical arguments about Vergeben, the box theory, and other popular rumors.
Elma vs. Rex debates were way more fun.

I can relate as well. The second you bring up "Chun-Li" and "thighs" in a sentence, you trigger everyone.
Chun-Li. Thighs. There, I mentioned them. :p

D

Deleted member

There weren't even any plotholes in XC. Sure, some things weren't explained in as much detail as they could have been but that doesn't make them plotholes and it's something that can be said of any story. We don't need to know Klaus/Zanza's motivations and how they got that power because they don't really matter to the overall plot.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If there really is a character reveal soon, I think they're just gonna pull a :ultlucina::ultrobin:ultfalcon: and just have a small steam with only the trailer. I really don't see a bigger Smash direct until late November, and certainly not another Nintendo Direct so soon.

Chrono.

And I have no problem with that.
I'm not forcing people to like what I and others like, I'm just tired of seeing the same arguments whenever the game is brought up.
Ditto to that.

I just ignore it until something else comes along.

Or make a smokescreen.

Hey guys I thought Sonic Forces was actually a decent game.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
@Alastor017 Whilst everyone else was freaking out, they forgot mods existed (Can’t blame them. They where in the moment. I almost forgot to.) I contacted a mod and they handled it quickly. Thanks mods!
Mhmm. They freaked out and "forgot" the mods existed.

Skepticism.

The best part of Xenoblade 2 is the music. This isn't even up for debate :p
Absolutely. XC2 has a lot of flaws, namely the designs and voice acting, but it does excel in a few areas.

Music is definitely one of those areas.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
@Alastor017 Whilst everyone else was freaking out, they forgot mods existed (Can’t blame them. They where in the moment. I almost forgot to.) I contacted a mod and they handled it quickly. Thanks mods!
Though I do find it funny that the freakout didn't start until after one user had to have the avatar pointed out to them right before freaking out.

D

Deleted member

Ditto to that.

Or make a smokescreen.

Hmm, let me try that. *ahem*

Hey! Everyone! I think Brawl is better than Melee!

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Mhmm. They freaked out and "forgot" the mods existed.

Skepticism.

Absolutely. XC2 has a lot of flaws, namely the designs and voice acting, but it does excel in a few areas.

Music is definitely one of those areas.
Not literal. Just a joke. I meant I don’t remember anyone else contacting the mods. I mean, maybe someone did. I dunno.

D

Deleted member

The thing is, as soon as Rex+Pyra get into Smash, Sakurai will 'fix' her design to fit into an E+10 just like he did Bayonetta and Female Corrin.

Dem booty shorts are a Final Smash on their own.
If anything, it'll be a kin to the artbook's design. IIRC, it was a bit more toned down.

That is definitely not a fact.

If it wasn't explained in its entirety, isn't the sequel a point to improve upon the foundation of what was left before then? :drshrug: It doesn't make the story less valuable because of a plot hole, it just means it can be expanded upon in the next story if something wasn't explained properly. Besides, you're comparing lore to plot. Whatever Klaus did, he did, but his motives doesn't affect the overall plot and the characters.

You're not calling Xenoblade an inferior story, you're calling Klaus an inferior character compared to his appearance in the second game.
Xenoblade 2 selling 2/3rds of Persona 5's sales figures? That's a pretty damning fact.

If it was explained correctly and unlike how Alvis explained it, I wouldn't have as much of a gripe with that plothole than I do now. The story is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but that has to be the one con of the story I will no doubt mention. What part of what I'm saying is lore, though? It's pretty obvious that Alvis is a part of the trinity processor.

It just seems ridiculous that Klaus initiated the conduit just because of "simple curiosity" where there's a reason why he did it in the first place, where Xenoblade 2 finally gave exposure to that. I'd at least like to know when I played the original an inkling WHY he did it, and Xenoblade 2 go into more depth.

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
Regarding sales:
-You specify west, meaning not worldwide
-Chrono Trigger received more rereleases throughout the years then Mario RPG, meaning it reached an wider audience.
-Even if that were the case, you could literally slap Mario's face onto anything and of course it'd sell more initially in the west.
But most importantly
-Sales don't matter.

If they did, no one would be talking about Earthbound, a literal cult-classic.

Chrono Trigger has the critical acclaim and influence in the gaming world. Do you see Mario RPG in any "Top Ten Games of all time" lists? Do you see any games basing their mechanics off it that aren't other Mario RPGs?
You literally can't look at Chrono Trigger and not see all that it gave to gaming, from an actual good story, something rare in games at the time(FFVI being a notable exception); mechanics that would serve as examples of how to do the genre right, such as non-random encounters and a great difficulty curve, to other small things such as the enemy placement and skill interaction and double and triple techs; and things that would become staples of gaming as a whole, like the New Game+, while not the Ur-Example, is the Trope Namer and Codifier of almost every RPG nowadays.

I know I'm somewhat biased in this subject but to call and act like Mario RPG is more popular, influential and better than Chrono Trigger just smells like contrivances to try to justify Geno's inclusion

/Rant

Also
>Complaining about greentexting in red
Doesn't make my point any less valid
sales in the west are the only thing relevant to the conversation; RPGs didn't need saving in japan. i only meant to point out that super mario rpg, by the numbers, did more to popularize the genre in the west than chrono trigger. no more, no less.

edit: i wanted to add that i'm not interested in arguing whether or not rpgs were in need of any saving at this point, as it's too subjective a thing to debate about. what seems like a success to one person could be a complete failure to another person

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I’d argue the two most recent Trails of Cold Steel games up there too, but they’re only out in Japan currently.

But 7 games of previous continuity all having effects before them and aaaa so good. Ok I’ll stop trying to talk about my Niche jrpg series in here I already am in my signature advertising it :p.
I need to try those games. They're on Steam right?
There weren't even any plotholes in XC. Sure, some things weren't explained in as much detail as they could have been but that doesn't make them plotholes and it's something that can be said of any story. We don't need to know Klaus/Zanza's motivations and how they got that power because they don't really matter to the overall plot.
Plot holes has become a meaningless term at this point tbh.
Ditto to that.

Or make a smokescreen.

I agree. Sonic Forces as decent.

Better than Unleashed, Lost World, Heroes and 06

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
>All this XC2 Discussion
>was about to post my comment about rare blade before I remember that I can't get KOS-MOS because her chance are really low to get

why does this hurt me more than it does, man

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
The thing is, as soon as Rex+Pyra get into Smash, Sakurai will 'fix' her design to fit into an E+10 just like he did Bayonetta and Female Corrin.

Dem booty shorts are a Final Smash on their own.
I mean ZSS had her two skimpy outfits in For, if anything Pyra may just get some anatomy changes like the former did for Ultimate.

Also for those calling Rex's design generic:
You haven't seen his Master Driver armour.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
You caused nothing.

And you're just not helping.
I was just joking.

Ditto to that.

Or make a smokescreen.

Oh! Oh! Lemme try! Uh...
Fnaf is my 2nd favorite franchise. Don’t @ me.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, until Ultimate comes out, Brawl will always be the best Smash Bros. game. It edges out above Melee's single-player content and brought so many good things to the table. I sincerely hope that Sakurai has listened to the fans about Smash for Wii U, because that game is easily the worst out of the Smash games.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I’d argue the two most recent Trails of Cold Steel games up there too, but they’re only out in Japan currently.

But 7 games of previous continuity all having effects before them and aaaa so good. Ok I’ll stop trying to talk about my Niche jrpg series in here I already am in my signature advertising it :p.
Agreed.
I can't stop listening to A****a e no Kiseki.

Such a hype theme.

Edit: Agh, Smashboards censors. I guess they wouldn't like A****a e no Kodou either.
The best part of Xenoblade 2 is the music. This isn't even up for debate :p
Agreed.
Annnd, now this thread has crashed into rock bottom.
Hey, *PTHBBT* who do you *PTHBBT* think the next *PTHBBT* newcomer is going *PTHBBT* be?

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
We can all agree Malos has a great voice right? You know it's true.
DnB9ME7UcAASEiJ.jpg

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Xenoblade 2 selling 2/3rds of Persona 5's sales figures? That's a pretty damning fact.
What about it? Sales don't make objective quality alone.

What? Aside from state my opinion on XC2, what'd I do?
Setting up the classic "gee whiz, this sure is down the stinker huh? *laugh track* *likes guaranteed*" bait. :p

D

Deleted member

Honestly, until Ultimate comes out, Brawl will always be the best Smash Bros. game. It edges out above Melee's single-player content and brought so many good things to the table. I sincerely hope that Sakurai has listened to the fans about Smash for Wii U, because that game is easily the worst out of the Smash games.
I don't think Smash 4 was bad. I enjoyed it a lot.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
You're not supposed to know Fiora is a Mechon until like halfway into the game. If anything Jade Face was a bigger spoiler than her.
I'd argue Jade Face stopped being a big spoiler AFTER you'd already seen Mecha Fiora and realized that Homs were powering Faces. That realization plus Metal Face/Face Nemesis already being revealed and Gadolt openly stated to be "missing" made it pretty obvious he was a Face.

Fiora, on the other hand, is literally seemingly impaled and killed in front of the player's eyes, and is the main motivator for the first half of the game. There is no direct indication she's alive until Prison Island (minus some brief hints when it shows Vinea). Her survival as a Mechon is a major plot twist more than Gadolt being a Face.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Ditto to that.

Or make a smokescreen.

Alright. You guys asked for this...

We need more sword-wielding Fire Emblem characters on the roster.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I need to try those games. They're on Steam right?

Plot holes has become a meaningless term at this point tbh.
Trails in the Sky's 3 games are on steam as are the first 2 Cold Steel ones yes, but theres others to the story that are kind of important too, that I hope manage to get localization even before Cold Steel 3 & 4, because the 2 Crossbell games Zero & AO are very important contexually x.x

Which is why theres of course huge effort fan translations in the works for those 2.

D

Deleted member

Setting up the classic "gee whiz, this sure is down the stinker huh? *laugh track* *likes guaranteed*" bait. :p
Well I didn't intended to bait anyone. I was just commenting on how crazy people were going over one topic. But whatever.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I mean, the. Again, we can’t just assume that, can we?
My ratings
Worst - 64 Melee Brawl 4 - Best They seem to just get better and better.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Can’t we all be friends?

25A7EA55-1DDC-4672-ABE1-DCCC3BA8C695.jpeg

These guys get along just fine. Though people have been skeptical of Elma lately (:(), I think this can very well happen in Smash too...

Some of you guys have been arguing about Xenoblade 1 and 2, and yet here we are, where Rex is best friends with Shulk now... and Elma.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If that was the case, I guess that "Award for Excellence" should've gone to Ys VIII. :dazwa:

I don't think Smash 4 was bad. I enjoyed it a lot.
That's the thing, I enjoyed it too! But it has poorly aged and doesn't really hold a candle compared to every other Smash game.

Oh, and I give it this, I'm liking Torna a lot more than the base game
Alright, you get a pass. Arguably Torna is the best Xenoblade game out of the bunch. The fact that it took THIS ****ING LONG to have an indicator of where unique monsters are is kinda sad.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I can't tell if you're trying to be provocative to try and change the topic or if you're actually serious here...

:ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom