• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Remember people actually measuring the shadow and comparing it to Pikachu? Ridley speculation was absolutely wild and I'm shocked we aren't seeing more of his passionate cult making an appearance here.
Don’t worry. The Cult of Ridley will be back in full force when we get more info.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Remember people actually measuring the shadow and comparing it to Pikachu? Ridley speculation was absolutely wild and I'm shocked we aren't seeing more of his passionate cult making an appearance here.
I still remember the Rayman leak. Good lord, what a wild ride. The debunking of that leak was the reason why I joined Smashboards in the first place. I loved speculating.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
True, but you also have to keep in mind that Capcom has confirmed they have plans to bring *every* Ace Attorney game to the Switch, plus develop a new one for the system.
They haven't confirmed that.

Those are rumors.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
True, but you also have to keep in mind that Capcom has confirmed they have plans to bring *every* Ace Attorney game to the Switch, plus develop a new one for the system.
I literally didn't know that.

I'm hyped

Those are rumors.
Aww, maaan.

you can't just do this to a guy.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I remember being a part of it, completely nuts, but awesome. I imagine once there is some sort of gameplay it will ramp up, especially once Metroid stuff turns up. The Ridley thread is discussing colour palettes at the moment and there is a glimmer of hope due to Ridley's latest appearance being much more balanced and scalable. Personally I hope that the purple space dragon gets his chance this time.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I agree. In terms of recent relevancy Dixie is far and away more likely than K.Rool as he has not been seen since the N64. They are both really good additions at least
King K Rool appeared as a playable character in Mario Super Sluggers on the Wii, as well as the primary antagonist in DK Jungle Climber (DS) and King of Swing (GBA). Before Tropical Freeze he was actually more relevant than Dixie.

Nowadays I'm not sure who I'd expect more (we did get the costume after all). KKR remains far and away my most wanted newcomer though!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I remember being a part of it, completely nuts, but awesome. I imagine once there is some sort of gameplay it will ramp up, especially once Metroid stuff turns up. The Ridley thread is discussing colour palettes at the moment and there is a glimmer of hope due to Ridley's latest appearance being much more balanced and scalable. Personally I hope that the purple space dragon gets his chance this time.
I really love Ridley, I think he has an incredible design and story. But it would take a true miracle for Sakurai to change his stance. I suppose we just hope for a miracle.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Why? If a Donkey Kong character gets added, it should be for an actual reason other than just digging for characters for the sake of having DK characters. DK will get characters when there are characters from the series that Sakurai decides he wants to add.

That's just a dumb joke by Rare. Like how Wario stole Koopa's go kart from Super Mario Kart and painted it purple.

Cranky Kong being "The og DK" has literally no bearing on his inclusion.
I really don’t care if it was ever a joke. It’s perfect material for him. Cranky would certainly be unique and that’s a huge plus for me.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Those are rumors.
Are you sure? I know I saw a lot of news about it on the Ace Attorney subreddit.

At the very least, new Ace Attorney for Switch is 100% confirmed. I know that for a fact.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
King K Rool appeared as a playable character in Mario Super Sluggers on the Wii, as well as the primary antagonist in DK Jungle Climber (DS) and King of Swing (GBA). Before Tropical Freeze he was actually more relevant than Dixie.
Wasn't Dixie in all of those games? So how was he "more relevant"?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wasn't Dixie in all of those games? So how was he "more relevant"?
Admittedly she was not important to the plot in King of Swing and Jungle Climber.

K.Rool was vital to both.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Now let's be honest here, are you speaking from your mind and logic, or are you thinking with your heart and emotions?

Be truthful here.
Just mere observations. Nothing too deep. Tropical Freeze is still the latest big DK game so I could see any potential DK newcomers coming from that particular title. Funky Kong’s inclusion in Smash 5 would certainly draw attention to the Tropical Freeze port in the eyes of the casual audience. That or at least, a stage.

Last edited:

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
Admittedly she was not important to the plot in King of Swing and Jungle Climber.

K.Rool was vital to both.
Dixie wasn’t important but they are spin offs tho.

She was vital and important in main entries (DKC2 as the side protagonist, DKC3 as the main protagonist, DKCRTF and the switch port as a playable character)...

They really are two different things for comparing them imho

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Dixie wasn’t important but they are spin offs tho.

She was vital and important in main entries (DKC2 as the side protagonist, DKC3 as the main protagonist, DKCRTF and the switch h port as a playable character)...

They really are two different things for comparing them imho
I understand all that.

That wasn't the point I was addressing at all.

Why does that matter? Characters don't get based on who's more vital to the plot.
I mean, we do get main characters before anything else.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I think an interesting thing to look out for for this Smash will be GameCube controller support. Since they made the adaptor for the WiiU I do not see any way they can decide to remove it for this one. So I guess this will mean that there will be a rerelease of the adaptor and maybe some new official GameCube controllers, which would be cool.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I think after how crazy it was last time, many people have a more cynical view on the matter (especially with the Sakurai interview), and have more tempered expectations. Ridley discussion has definitely been muted compared to last time.

At least he's still relevant, even if he's definitely not favored to get in at this point. I definitely hope he defies the odds and makes it in though.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
K. Rool and Dixie both have their merits, and I think it's really hard to choose between them. K. Rool provides more uniqueness on the surface, but Dixie doesn't necessarily have to be a Diddy clone, or even a semi clone. He made Mario and Luigi different, he made a ton of sword characters different, etc. he can make Dixie very different too. I would be shocked if at least one of those two didn't join the roster, and there's plenty of merit and room for a unique gameplay style on both sides.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think an interesting thing to look out for for this Smash will be GameCube controller support. Since they made the adaptor for the WiiU I do not see any way they can decide to remove it for this one. So I guess this will mean that there will be a rerelease of the adaptor and maybe some new official GameCube controllers, which would be cool.
Doesn't the Wii U adapter still work with the Switch? Granted, it's not optimal, but I think it works fine.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The Wii U adapter works on Switch, and HORI is confirmed to be making a Nintendo authorized Gamecube Adapter for Switch.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
K. Rool and Dixie both have their merits, and I think it's really hard to choose between them. K. Rool provides more uniqueness on the surface, but Dixie doesn't necessarily have to be a Diddy clone, or even a semi clone. He made Mario and Luigi different, he made a ton of sword characters different, etc. he can make Dixie very different too. I would be shocked if at least one of those two didn't join the roster, and there's plenty of merit and room for a unique gameplay style on both sides.
I don't know what else to say, but that expecting Dixie to have no similarities to Diddy is just unrealistic. They both share a similar model and she has the gumball gun just like Diddy has the peanut gun.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, so then wouldn't we have gotten Toad before Rosalina? Or Andross before Falco?
Falco is a main character and plot important.

Rosalina is a main character to the mainline games she appears in. Toad wasn't one outside of SMB2, 3D World and the Captain Toad series.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I think after how crazy it was last time, many people have a more cynical view on the matter (especially with the Sakurai interview), and have more tempered expectations. Ridley discussion has definitely been muted compared to last time.

At least he's still relevant, even if he's definitely not favored to get in at this point. I definitely hope he defies the odds and makes it in though.
Oh yeah it definitely is not where it was for Sm4sh. I'm pretty sure one thread went over 2000 pages, which was crazy.

Yeah, his relevancy has not died down, which will be a plus for him. It could also be an opportunity to hype up Metroid Prime 4 as it is very likely he is involved in that.

Doesn't the Wii U adapter still work with the Switch? Granted, it's not optimal, but I think it works fine.
Yeah it works, recognising the GameCube controller as a wired controller. What I mean is that we will probably see Nintendo official sell it to go along with this version of Smash again.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
whenever someone says Dixie as a Diddy clone I sigh. I guess it could work, but I can't see Dixie acting exactly as diddy.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
whenever someone says Dixie as a Diddy clone I sigh. I guess it could work, but I can't see Dixie acting exactly as diddy.
You don't remember Dixie using a peanut popgun and having a barrel jetpack? Next thing you'll say is that she has never been known to play the electric guitar :p

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I don't know what else to say, but that expecting Dixie to have no similarities to Diddy is just unrealistic. They both share a similar model and she has the gumball gun just like Diddy has the peanut gun.
Mario and Luigi look the same and they both have a fireball. There is almost no similarity in how the characters function. Dixie and Diddy would probably be really easy to differentiate.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Nobody ever suggested that Dixie would be a full on clone of Diddy, EVER.

What's just as unrealistic is the reverse. People who think she will share ZERO similarities to Diddy. She'd probably be on the level of Lucas, but with more unique special abilities. But, she will inevitably share some similarities to Diddy.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong can be an All-Rounder.

Her hair spin and possible-long range with her ponytail gives her a slightly different flavor than other ones like Mario and Pit.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pipe dream time: Give me K. Rool, Dixie and Cranky Kong.

That trio making it into Smash would make me ecstatic.

Yeah Baybeeeeeee

I even paid the 3$ so I could update my tag!
Hope you've been well!

Seeing so many familiar faces that I haven't seen in a long time returning with the announcement of a new Smash game takes me back. It's really starting to feel like Smash 4 speculation again, haha.

Just mere observations. Nothing too deep. Tropical Freeze is still the latest big DK game so I could see any potential DK newcomers coming from that particular title. Funky Kong’s inclusion in Smash 5 would certainly draw attention to the Tropical Freeze port in the eyes of the casual audience. That or at least, a stage.
I don't disagree that K. Rool's long absence from games has been and might still be a hindrance.

That said, with the exceptions of Pokemon and Fire Emblem, newcomers aren't usually very likely to come because of very recent appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom