• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
And then IF Incineroar or some Gen7 rep comes out, we all looks like a fool with egg on our face.

I'll wait and see what happens, personally.
That's fine, I'm not saying its perfect. If something changes, then either the theory is bunked or we have to adjust it (depending on the situation).
Wow, I'm used to this thread going a lot slower since the leak thread exists, so seeing it jump this much was interesting.

So, Pokémon music? So it looks like Music theory or Vergeben are wrong, which should mean more speculation and less "It can't happen because of this reason people made up." Pretty cool remix too - it's gonna be tough to put all of these songs onto proper stages. I think this is sounding very good for Spear Pillar, but the Pokemon League stages are also good thoughts.

But really, bring on the next Direct.
It's more fun that way

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

What’s not to love? ^_^
DEJA VU!
I HAVE BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFORE

HIGHER ON THE STREET
AND I KNOW IT’S MY TIME TO GOOOOO

[ahem] anyway...

They usually post a second post on music days, right...?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I've watched the intro cutscene many times before today and now I can safety say that it is the best part of the game.
“Where’s that DAMN 4th Chaos Emerald?”
“Disgusting Black Creatures, get out of my sight”
“Shadow! Why are you working with those black creatures?”
Edgy Music

Best parts of the game
Trying to think of one...Plusle and or Minun?
Both as echoes of Pichu

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
“Where’s that DAMN 4th Chaos Emerald?”
Disgusting Black Creatures, get out of my sight”
“Shadow! Why are you working with those black creatures?”
Edgy Music
Oh boy that wouldn't work

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So as someone who firmly believed in the leak trifecta, otherwise known as Vergeben's Music Box™, this is a bit of a predicament, as now at least one of those theories is incorrect.

Personally, I view the Box Theory as the single most likely scenario, wherein we only get you-know-who as an echo, and one other newcomer. From there, assuming the Box Theory holds water, there are a few ways to go.

1. The final non-echo base game newcomer is a Square-Enix character that isn't Geno. This is the one that assumes the Music Theory is right. As we already have a Mario song, though, Geno would be discounted. Incineroar would then be DLC. DLCineroar, if you will. This might also help explain why it took a while for Vergeben's sources to decide on Incineroar.

2. The final non-echo base game newcomer is Incineroar, SE is DLC, and the Music Theory is dead. This one would also allow for Geno, because clearly the Music Theory would only work for the base game. It would also reaffirm my opinion that the way they've been handling the website has been a mess lol.

Of course, this is all under the assumption that, above all else, the Box Theory is correct. I understand that that is too lofty an assumption for some people to make, though.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Just in case you guys don't believe me.
They brought Steven's theme into Smash Ultimate???

THEY BROUGHT STEVEN'S THEME INTO SMASH ULTIMATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

MY FAVORITE CHAMPION'S THEME AND MY FAVORITE TRACK FROM POKEMON FINALLY MADE IT INTO SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY SMOKES, THAT METAL ROCK REMIX IS AMAZING FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD SO FAR!!!!

Okay, I'll calm down, but trust me, you don't know how happy I am about this. I've been WANTING this song to be in Smash for so long!!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh also Steven's theme is fantastic. I'm thrilled we're getting more Hoenn music.

D

Deleted member

Oh also Steven's theme is fantastic. I'm thrilled we're getting more Hoenn music.
I'm glad they're revisiting some of the older Champion themes (even if ORAS may have had something to do with it here). It gives me hope for Iris's Theme a real remix of Lance's Theme.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
So, what have I missed?

And BTW, can anyone else see the images attached in the posts? I've been unable to for a long while, and I'm finally getting annoyed by it.
Pokemon music was upload this week, which puts a wrench on either the music theory or Vergeben who's been claiming Incineroar. In other words, it's open season again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm glad they're revisiting some of the older Champion themes (even if ORAS may have had something to do with it here). It gives me hope for Iris's Theme a real remix of Lance's Theme.
We really need more Gen 2 music as I'm pretty sure there's literally one track from it in the entirety of Smash 4 and it's a remix of the trainer/wild Pokemon battle theme(don't remember which one)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A few other things I want to add.

First, I sincerely hope that over the past few weeks I haven't scared anybody into necessarily being forced to believe Box Theory or any other theory. I also hope that I didn't make anyone feel stupid. It's Smash Bros. Everybody should be having fun with this sort of stuff. :)

One thing I'd like to mention for everyone to keep in mind, is the order in which this is all occurring. Verg has been spot on since he started leaking Smash Ultimate. He's gotten Simon, Ridley, Snake, Ice Climbers, what have you. To suddenly believe that, because of Music Theory, that Verge is suddenly wrong? That seems like a leap in logic to me, is all.

Now, I'm not going to blame anybody for getting hyped. I'm really hyped for this game myself, and I'm really excited to play it. I also realize it's not my responsibility to keep other people from getting their expectations squashed. However, I simply have reason to believe that fans should be wary of Box theory, not because I think it's the be all end all of Smash leaks, but because of the implications of there being something to it.

If Box Theory is legit and ends up as our base roster, I just get the feeling there's going to be a lot of salt. The other theories seem to suggest that there will be more characters, or characters that we considered as a lost cause prior to today. All I'm saying is, in a completely harmless and not intending to defuse your hype way, to keep these things in mind. Sure, we could wind up with another 20 characters (which I think is already way too much considering the whole, "I hope you aren't expecting too many characters" bit), but the differential between 20 and 2 characters, with one being an echo, is pretty substantial.

That would lead to a lot of salt.

I'm just hoping that in the event of Box theory being real, people don't get upset is all. It's inevitable that people will be upset, and people will be frustrated, and I guess I can't really do much besides encourage people to be careful. I can't force anything on anybody.

At the end of the day, I know a lot of people seem to like my posts considering the average like total I've been getting on comments. The likes are nice, but I do sincerely mean this stuff. I don't want to come across as a **** with this stuff. We should be enjoying discussing this stuff with other fans. Despite me having the feeling that Box theory is more than meets the eye, I won't discourage speculation.

I can only encourage caution. So that's all I'll say!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Heh.... he's going full anger now
You look at what he's responding to and tell me he's not right to react that way.

Even I don't necessarily like the dude but I would damn well act the same way if people gave me as much garbage as they give him.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
We really need more Gen 2 music as I'm pretty sure there's literally one track from it in the entirety of Smash 4 and it's a remix of the trainer/wild Pokemon battle theme(don't remember which one)
I'm honestly shocked the Johto champion theme hasn't found its way to Smash Bros. It's arguably the most iconic boss theme from the series.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I've watched the intro cutscene many times before today and now I can safety say that it is the best part of the game.
Should have just played Sonic Adventure 2 when it came around. Shadow’s game was awful.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Eh, i'm not worried. Music theory was just that, a theory.
Until we get solid evidence to the contrary i'll still believe in Incineroar.
It's not like an Alola song was posted either, it's got nothing to do with Incineroar besides being a Pokemon song itself.

Also, that remix is pretty rad, I love Steven.

Cynthia's still the best champion however, and Iris and Lance still have the best themes.

Shroob

Sup?
>getting angry from reading text on a screen
Yeah, sure i would do the same
Oh, my dear, it's not just that.

Imagine if you had 100 brand new PMs.

And not only that.

But 100-200 notifications of people messaging you.

And not only that.

People posting threads claiming of things you "Said" which you never said, having to clear that up whenever it arises.

Yes, he has full right to get mad, like it or not. The fact that people actively try to drag his name through the mud over **** he never says? 100% in the right to defend himself.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Oh, my dear, it's not just that.

Imagine if you had 100 brand new PMs.

And not only that.

But 100-200 notifications of people messaging you.

And not only that.

People posting threads claiming of things you "Said" which you never said, having to clear that up whenever it arises.

Yes, he has full right to get mad, like it or not. The fact that people actively try to drag his name through the mud over **** he never says? 100% in the right to defend himself.
He brought it on himself for constantly leaking games, left and right, trying to bring attention to himself. To quote Ike, he will get no sympathy from me.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
So I looked up Soshi Abe, since I was unfamiliar with him, but apparently he was a contributing musician for Breath of the Wild. With how great this new remix of Steven's Battle Theme turned out, his will be a name to keep in mind for future compositions (Maybe even at least another Smash track). :)

D

Deleted member

I'm honestly shocked the Johto champion theme hasn't found its way to Smash Bros. It's arguably the most iconic boss theme from the series.
That theme was enough to instill fear into 10-year old me. Don't think it's a coincidence Lance opens up with a Gyarados.

Also, Silver's theme, thr Gym Leader battle theme and the Rocket Battle theme
ESPECIALLY the Team Rocket theme

LetterO

Smash Lord
You know.. WarioWare also hasn't had a song yet.. and there's a character who already has a stage repping them in the game..

ga,er[p.png

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
Vergeben should probably just stop lurking around and just appear when he has something to say. It's clearly not something he can handle easily, and he doesn't really need to clarify anything if people starts spreading misinfo, he has his social media accounts open to everyone to see, and anything outside that is misinfo.

I think Music Theory still holds, we got Metroid Music with Ridley, Castlevania, DK and AC music with the respective newcomers, and echoes haven't really gotten music released with them.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Well, Pokemon did get Pokemon Trainer and Pichu back. Maybe the roster for Ultimate is so limited that not even a relevant Pokemon could make it, and Sakurai considers bringing back the cut Pokemon reps as enough for Pokemon in the base roster. Pichu, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are 3 characters built from the ground up without any assets borrowed from Smash 4, after all (bar Pichu with most of Pikachu's moveset).

Hopefully, this can lead to a Pokemon DLC that would be a character more overall liked than Inceneroar (since his popularity is a bit divided in the community). It may not be apparent since people generally like the starters, but Pokemon hasn't had a purely popular character addition since Melee's Mewtwo, with PT added for the 10th anniversary of Red & Blue and Greninja added for Gen 6's relevancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom