• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Do we still have Ghirahim as an Assist Trophy?
Do we have a main console Zelda game without an AT?
I know most of the handheld ones don't have a character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Do we still have Ghirahim as an Assist Trophy?
Do we have a main console Zelda game without an AT?
I know most of the handheld ones don't have a character.
Ghirahim is still an Assist.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There's nothing wrong with more Bayo content, but it'd be hard for Sakurai to add new stages or new characters without it looking like blatant favoritism or forced promotion.

The Bayo franchise has its fans, but it's easily overshadowed by the others. Then when you look at the very little new content third-parties have been getting so far in Ultimate, Bayo getting something special feels suspicious. Why should her franchise get a new character when people have been asking for a new Sonic character for years? Why give her franchise a new stage, but not the more popular series like Mega Man or FF?
You know this happens for literally any franchise in Smash getting anything right? People call bias and favouritism all the time, most noticeably Kirby and Star Fox, Kirby went from barely having any content due to Sakurai DELIBERATELY wanting to prevent people calling favouritism but the public wanted Meta Knight and Dedede. He adds them, "Boooooo Kirby bias!" People claim Star Fox bias in Brawl, but come around Smash 4? "Sakurai hates Star Fox! Bias!"

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In regards to the Zelda talk, BotW was a very good game and has set up an unbelievably strong foundation for future Zelda games, but it has too many issues for me to consider it the best Zelda game as we're talking about a series with several games that border on being flawless.

I didn't actually enjoy 3D Zeldas until the past three or so years, so it came out a little after I had played through all of the 3D titles for the first time (bar Skyward Sword, never was a fan of motion controls), so nostalgia isn't a factor when I'm rating those. My personal opinion is that Majora's Mask, ALttP and ALBW are all above it, and I'd rate it alongside OoT and WW, it's still very good company to be in, but I didn't get this truly special 10/10 feeling from it that it seems like so many other did. It has set up future titles to potentially be that though, it just didn't get there itself imo.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Since were rating the 3rd party characters
1-:ultsnake:-MGS is one of my fav series, of course Snake is up here
2-:ultryu:-Still the only character Im good with in Street Fighter...
3-:ultsonic:- Questionable quality nowadays, but Id be lying if I said I was never a big Sonic fan as a kid. Mega Collection was one of my favorite games on Game Cube (I remember having to call my friebd who is huge into Sonic to ask how to spindash to progress through Sonic and Knuckles, I wasnt a smart kid lmao)
4-:ultpacman:- Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man and Pac Man World 2 are some outstandimg games, and I loved all 3 of them growing up.
5-:ultmegaman:- I really like his games but I dont have that huge childhood connection like with Sonic or Pac Man. The only way I could play his games back then were on those old flash/java websites that hosted NES emulators.
6- :ultcloud:- No nostalgia bias, but I really like FF7.
7-:ultsimon:- Same as Mega Man but to a much lesser extent.
8-:ultbayonetta:- I dont like anything about Bayonetta. The game or the character.
9-:ultrichter:-Never played any of his games.

Pakky

Smash Hero
If you want to say that the game does not need to be fair, I hear that. It doesnt, and it wont be.
But to tell me its not fair for Bayonetta to be passed over for more content... seems... to not understand how little Bayonetta has caused waves.
Nintendo is putting a lot of eggs in that basket. Bayonetta fans are among some of the luckiest in the world.
Let's not pretend there is anything unfair toward it.
The game needs to have some semblance of balance, her being 'good' isn't a problem but its needs to be put into perspective.

I think where is applicable series should have what makes up their identity in Smash. For Bayo its Bayo and Jeanne reall at the moment y, and Rodin but he's fine as a assist since he's the shop guy. For Sonic honestly its Sonic Tails and Eggman. Shadow has become a part as well but I don't he's as important as Tails or Eggman. For SF really it should be Ryu Ken and Chun-Li with anyone else being a AT.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
JC of Treehouse had some interesting things to say about echo fighters.

Generally when it comes to an echo fighter, like 90-95% of their stuff is the same
(moveset, character handling etc.). It’s going to be mostly the same.

Let’s just start with Mario and Dr Mario right, The reason why Mario and Dr Mario are so different is that their utility is different. Dr Mario hits harder, is heavier, the forward air trajectory etc. make him different because you have to use him differently.

There’s a couple of other differences that are SO different enough that he’s technically not an echo fighter anymore because of how you use the tools that character has.

So for something like Princess Daisy and Princess Peach, you know Daisy, DOES have a couple of differences, but it’s mostly, like thematic and cosmetic. The vast majority of the character is the same. Then they would be considered an echo fighter.

SOMEONE ELSE: It really seems like a certain degree there, some minor changes is one thing but if you really dramatically affect a way a character performs and the way you fight and approach with that character that kind of moves beyond an echo fighter it sounds like...

JC: Mmm-hmm. But I also wouldn’t put it out of the realm to see - you know you saw Chrom do his Up B. Although his moveset is very similar to Roy’s, Chrom’s Up B is not that, it’s very similar to Ike’s. So yes, you will see some changes and it just depends per character so I am looking forward to people finding out what these changes are.
Around the 12:30 mark in this video.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Thinking about things in terms of Tecmo, does Ninja Gaiden mean more than DOA?

I've never seen DOA as a BIG franchise, because everyone who matters from there is also a part of NG

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
What is the best version, btw? I've played both of the psp versions in some capacity, but there seems to be several.
Best to check this out.

It's a full PC retooling of Rondo of Blood and it's English translation from the PSP port.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Thinking about things in terms of Tecmo, does Ninja Gaiden mean more than DOA?
Yeah, I would say so...
The only Problem is Ryu Hayabusa's name... (before you say Roy, he was an alt)
Problem solved, just refer to him by his full name.
That's a lot of syllables though. Would be weird to hear the announcer say "Ryu Hayabusa Wins!"
(Don't get me wrong. I would love him in smash... It's just gonna be tough to not Confuse him with Ryu)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see people were discussing the topic of best Zelda a few pages ago. I also see that people have a weird way of spelling Majora's Mask nowadays. ;)

That picture of Ganondorf staring at the moon makes me think he's about to Warlock Punch it into dust. ...TBH I would pay large sums of money to see that.

Goodness, this thread used to be a bit more populated. Did everyone move over to the leak thread?

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Ken is 100 percent confirmed, no chance that leak is fake even the mistakes in the stage such as the lighting bugs are present.

I guess that means no skull kid or Geno. Fair enough

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah, I would say so...
The only Problem is Ryu Hayabusa's name... (before you say Roy, he was an alt)

That's a lot of syllables though. Would be weird to hear the announcer say "Ryu Hayabusa Wins!"
(Don't get me wrong. I would love him in smash... It's just gonna be tough to not Confuse him with Ryu)
Doesn't he already say "Rosalina and Luma"? Or is it just Rosalina?

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I'm personally astounded at how Sakurai has barely ever acknowledged the big leaks. Maybe he and his crew just want to focus on designing what they've seen the people want out of Ultimate?

Say what you will about him, there's no excuse for us to deserve him...

D

Deleted member

Ken is 100 percent confirmed, no chance that leak is fake even the mistakes in the stage such as the lighting bugs are present.

I guess that means no skull kid or Geno. Fair enough
Why would Ken deconfirm anyone else? If this is about Box Theory, that won't be proven true or false until Sakurai says what the final character count is. Plus, we know nothing about Ken right now. For all we know, he's a semi-clone like Isabelle. I mean, I doubt he isn't an Echo, but anything is possible given how Isabelle turned out.

Also, even if Ken is an Echo, all it'll take for Box Theory to die is another Echo to be shown off with him. Ken leak doesn't really affect Box Theory IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

FE doesn't need anymore characters. It already has far too many and there are a lot of characters who deserve to get in over just another FE character.
No doubt. I wasn't trying to say Alm should get in for Ultimate, I was merely giving my thoughts on how he might be unique as an FE fighter, instead of being reduced to some echo. I'd sacrafice :ultchrom: for him to be honest.

Inb4 we get a Three House character for DLC

D

Deleted member

Another thing to consider as well is even if the picture looks incredible, literally ANYTHING can be faked nowadays. I personally think it's real, but there's nothing to confirm it without a doubt until Ken is actually shown off. People can do some very, very impressive things with Photoshop nowadays and just because the picture is "too good to be faked" doesn't mean it can't still be a fake. The person who made it could have simply both done their homework and also be knowledgeable enough about game design that they checked to make sure everything in the picture looked as legit as possible. I'm not saying that's what happened, but hey, it's a plausible scenario.

No matter how good the leak or track record of the leaker, I always think it's best to keep an open mind and not treat everything as 100% fake or real. However, this discussion is probably better off for the leak thread, so I'll end this off here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
"This is fine." - Ganondorf, a moment before ****ing moon hits him.
He has the Triforce of Power. He probably can just Warlock Punch the Moon to dust.

JC of Treehouse had some interesting things to say about echo fighters.

Around the 12:30 mark in this video.

Nothing we haven't known already based on gameplay but it's good to have an official confirmation of where they draw the line.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So this a troll but what if at Steve's reveal fat Banjo waddles out and tells everyone to go home...

I'm sorry that was rude, it sounded funny in my head...

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
But I like Jeanne too. I think she's going to be an echo, she was one of the two trophies in 4 from Bayo that weren't Bayo.
Liking her aswell is gonna be worse when she kills you (also I think she’ll either be an echo or alt, either works for her)
Bayonetta is the single franchise that I think should feel lucky at all.

I also have a bit of an issue with franchises that have more content than they have games (Hey you Kid Icarus, nearly there yourself Earthbound).
1. I’d say Cloud and the rest of the Final Fantasy series would be the one series to feel lucky, especially with the series being only focused on 7 (add that with Bayonetta already being close to Nintendo to the point where she’s practically one of their exclusives and how she was expected to join Smash any day and badaboom)
2. Can’t blame Kid Icarus for getting that Sakurai love (Uprising had a lot of content that can go to Smash and there is no problem with that) nor Mother/Earthbound for also getting that Sakurai love (the series has been in Smash since the beginning, it only makes sense to give them lots of content...same with F-Zero...one day)

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Liking her aswell is gonna be worse when she kills you (also I think she’ll either be an echo or alt, either works for her)

1. I’d say Cloud and the rest of the Final Fantasy series would be the one series to feel lucky, especially with the series being only focused on 7 (add that with Bayonetta already being close to Nintendo to the point where she’s practically one of their exclusives and how she was expected to join Smash any day and badaboom)
2. Can’t blame Kid Icarus for getting that Sakurai love (Uprising had a lot of content that can go to Smash and there is no problem with that) nor Mother/Earthbound for also getting that Sakurai love (the series has been in Smash since the beginning, it only makes sense to give them lots of content...same with F-Zero...one day)
I just hope Uprising’s difficulty bs is gone from smash.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I mean
It still kinda makes me want to see a fight between Majora and Ganondorf.
If we treat the Fierce Deity mask as canon rather than the result of an optional sidequest, I'd argue Majora. Ganon in his true from lost only because of the light arrows and sword of evil's bane designed, essentially, to hurt him specifically, so it's hard to find a true weakness. But if Majora's Mask could only truly be defeated by the Fierce Deity mask's power, the sheer magnitude of what Majora can do-- pull the moon down from its ****ing orbit-- trumps Ganon's raw power.

If, however, a child-aged Link can beat Majora's Mask just with his wits and the ability to turn into a deku scrub, a normal-ass goron and a garage band zora, then Ganon pretty much wins by default.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
If we treat the Fierce Diety mask as canon rather than the result of an optional sidequest, I'd argue Majora. Ganon in his true from lost only because of the light arrows and sword of evil's bane designed, essentially, to hurt him specifically, so it's hard to find a true weakness. But if Majora's Mask could only truly be defeated by the Fierce Deity mask's power, the sheer magnitude of what Majora can do-- pull the moon down from its ****ing orbit-- trumps Ganon's raw power.

If, however, a child-aged Link can beat Majora's Mask just with his wits and the ability to turn into a deku scrub, a normal-*** goron and a garage band zora, then Ganon pretty much wins by default.
But fierce deity though

Untouch

Smash Master
Not totally familiar with how Famitsu works, but is this week getting skipped? I can't find any info about this week, but they have the cover for a November edition already.

edit: wait that's November 2017 lol why is that still for sale?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Now that I think about it, Banjo & Kazooie is kinda like about a bear 'mauling' an obese woman...

I've never played Banjo and Kazooie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom