• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I sense you are angry.
That does not make your point correct.
The Inkling trailer was still a reveal trailer.
Or are you one of those people who likes to make up smash terminology to justify your point?
If not, please direct me to the official Smash Bros definitions you think you are educating me upon.
While I don't want to get into the argument about Pet Peeve, I do think it's important to note a distinction between how Inklings were revealed, and how every other character were revealed. Whatever terminology you want to use, they're different enough to consider Inklings an exception to any pattern regarding the reveals, though personally I gave up on the idea that unique characters were being revealed in the order of their appearance. It was always a dubious pattern to begin with, but, selfishly, I don't like the idea that we're skipping decades of potential characters, since many of the likely contenders (Geno, B&K, Isaac) are in that gap, just to stick to a pattern of only 4 characters, which could most likely be coincidental. But for all we know the next reveals could still hold, especially since the next likely contender, Incineroar, also fits the pattern.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
No. My entire thing is that there is no definition of "late additions." I'm actively rejecting these tired notions that individual smash speculators decide upon, and then continue about to be didactic and condescending. "Late additions" is not a smash term, it is not vocabulary defined.
In fact, *that* is what I consider to be nonsense. Do I need to define nonsense, now? Unlike the point made before mine it has an actual definition.
So you respond by... doing exactly what I said you do and talking around with a bunch of nonsense instead of just admitting you were misinformed. It's pretty factual what a late addition means, a character added later in development, not a character who was there since the very beginning. Jigglypuff/Toon Link/Wolf in Brawl and Bowser Jr. in Smash 4 are not late additions, being on the project plan and development happening on them since development started, while the Melee clones, Sonic in Brawl, and Dr. Mario/Lucina/Dark Pit are late additions as they were added to the roster later in development.

Like it's ok to admit you were wrong about something, no one is going to judge you for making a mistake, people make mistakes here all the time about Smash's development history, including with the very same mistake you made, you don't need to try twisting everything into some quasi-philosophical **** every single time to avoid admitting being wrong about something.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The purple color is a cursed color

Don't matter how many purple characters Sakurai adds

A new one's fanbase is always lurking behind a corner

Until every purple video game character ever is in
Waluigi is too purple to be playable. Even Ridley isn't as purple as he usually is.

HEY WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW I'M A BEARDED ISAAC SUPPORTER NOW.
WHY DO PEOPLE PUSH FOR THE VERSION OF HIM THAT HAS NEVER SEEN A MIRROR IN HIS LIFE???
Wait, what?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For consistency's sake, I really hope the people who paint the entire Waluigi fanbase as nut jobs because of one person on Twitter do the same for Ashley and Rayman. If you think that **** is exclusive to Waluigi, you haven't been paying attention.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So you respond by... doing exactly what I said you do and talking around with a bunch of nonsense instead of just admitting you were misinformed. It's pretty factual what a late addition means, a character added later in development, not a character who was there since the very beginning. Jigglypuff/Toon Link/Wolf in Brawl and Bowser Jr. in Smash 4 are not late additions, being on the project plan and development happening on them since development started, while the Melee clones, Sonic in Brawl, and Dr. Mario/Lucina/Dark Pit are late additions as they were added to the roster later in development.

Like it's ok to admit you were wrong about something, no one is going to judge you for making a mistake, people make mistakes here all the time about Smash's development history, including with the very same mistake you made, you don't need to try twisting everything into some quasi-philosophical **** every single time to avoid admitting being wrong about something.
I'll admit it is misinformed when you can inform me with more than your opinion, with a source as to the smash definition of 'late addition.'
I'll happily voice that I'm wrong, when you can show me that I am. Otherwise, the easiest definition of "late addition," is, "added late to the game." It has nothing to do with planning, or any other claim you are trying to make.

List of things in smash about which I was wrong:
  • All characters (not) returning
  • Third parties (not) getting echoes
  • Only a single unique character at E3
  • Isabelle (not) being an echo
  • The idea that "semiclones" (Not a real term but at least colloquially enough used) were gone
  • Probably a whole lot more.

List of things I am so far not wrong about:
  • these fanbase made terms.
Don't make this about my honor when that has nothing to do with the discussion in any way.
Is a your momma joke next?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
For consistency's sake, I really hope the people who paint the entire Waluigi fanbase as nut jobs because of one person on Twitter do the same for Ashley and Rayman. If you think that **** is exclusive to Waluigi, you haven't been paying attention.
I don't remember any Rayman fans acting like that. But yeah Ashley had some very vocal fans, one expressed wanting to murder Sakurai and another spawned the "X, a dead franchise, gets Y, B, D, W, F and Ashley gets NOTHING. What a joke" meme. Though I have seen some people paint all Ashley fans like that, especially in fanart involving K.Rool. Or as pedophiles, though I unfortunately know of a case of a pedophile being an Ashley fan

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hate to say it too but there was also fanart of King K. Rool him beating up Ashley and such by K. Rool fans when she was revealed as a assist trophy. That really disgusted me and this is coming from a K. Rool fan myself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do people forget how bad the K.Rool fanbase got during the DLC period? Because I certainly don't.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't remember any Rayman fans acting like that. But yeah Ashley had some very vocal fans, one expressed wanting to murder Sakurai and another spawned the "X, a dead franchise, gets Y, B, D, W, F and Ashley gets NOTHING. What a joke" meme. Though I have seen some people paint all Ashley fans like that, especially in fanart involving K.Rool. Or as pedophiles, though I unfortunately know of a case of a pedophile being an Ashley fan
Whoa... there are many lines I dont think are uncrossable, but maybe this is not the place to discuss pedophilia :ultpacman:

D

Deleted member

Assuming that Incineroar and Ken are the final two characters, the main reason that characters like Isaac, Bandana Waddle Dee, Shadow, Dixie, Elma, Skull Kid, and the like didn’t make the roster was probably just time constraints combined with Ultimate’s “bring everything back” design philosophy. That’s it, really; it has nothing to do with the fact that these characters are “undeserving,” or anything of the sort. If Ultimate was a game more focused around new content rather than bringing back all the old content, then we probably would have seen more of these characters in the base roster. However, I think it was a worthy tradeoff because now the DLC can entirely focus on characters such as these, especially since there won’t be another Smash game on the horizon to replace this one like Ultimate did to Smash 4.

The only three characters I feel have a good chance to not make DLC if they don’t arrive in the base roster are Elma, Decidueye, and Shadow. In Elma’s case, Rex will probably be prioritized over her for DLC, though that’s not as much of a probelm if Sakurai is willing to give Xenoblade two more reps, (which I think he should.) Decidueye probably won’t have to compete with Incineroar for DLC, but Sakurai might not be willing to include two fully evolved starters from one gen, and people might get grumpy of that happens, though I certainly wouldn’t complain. Finally, if Shadow doesn’t make base roster, the best we can hope for is that his Assist Trophy truly was replaced by Knuckles so that he has a better shot of being DLC. His fate may also depend on whether or not DLC echoes will be a thing; if Sakurai only wants to make fully-fledged newcomers as DLC, then Shadow’s chances diminish more. Pretty much every other commonly speculated character has just as much of a shot making DLC as they did the base roster in my eyes, if not higher such as in the case of Bandana Waddle Dee and Banjo, (which is a separate topic of discussion.)
If I may.

If Smash Ultimate wouldn't go as far as it did with bringing back all the old content and gave them the Smash 4 treatment of just making it look like how they were, I think anyone - including me - would be VASTLY disappointed. BUT, the fact that they went back to practically every stage in Smash history and brought back every fighter in Smash history, giving the old guys a huge facelift, too, was definitely the right choice and I'm so glad Sakurai went this route.

I'm honestly really happy with how this game is turning out, and some people might say that they'd feel complete in life when they get games like Kingdom Hearts 3 or what have you. Nah, Smash Ultimate is the one to do it, for me at least. Really, as much as I seem like I'm vouching for Banjo or some other character hard, I am happy with what I can get at this point. Ken is great, Incineroar, nice. Gotta have that Pokemon. (But you all better bring the WWE memes) The only characters I want left out of Smash Ultimate at this point is both Geno and Rex & Pyra. Mainly for one reason: closure.

Super Mario RPG and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are probably in my top 3 of "most impactful games of all time". I mainly want Geno so we can, A, finally have everyone get one more long-awaited character, and B, to show Nintendo WHY Super Mario RPG mattered and that whatever Mario RPGs that got going on right now isn't good. More stuff like Super Mario RPG is what'll bring back Mario RPGs in a big way, and not something like Paper Jam or whatever they got. What made Super Mario RPG amazing was it's cohesive, memorable and new Mario designs with intricate gameplay and fantastic OST. I feel like if we get more of that in new Mario RPGs - or even port over the amazing Paper Mario games as a stepping stone, it's a wrap, Switch best console of all time.

Same goes for Rex & Pyra, I want Nintendo to keep on pushing the Xenoblade franchise as hard as they're doing right now, because Xenoblade 2's base game - AND ESPECIALLY THE TORNA EXPANSION, I AM STILL HELLA SAD - might be some of Nintendo's greatest games of all time. You wanna know why that Gang-Plank Galleon remix is so amazing? Composed by the same people who composed Xenoblade 1 & 2. :4pacman:

We know that these two (and a half) characters have a high chance of getting in, but I just want some closure to know that they're in the game. These are characters I actually really have emotional investment in, and it suuuuucks having to wait to know if they're in. Really, those are the only two characters I want left in Smash Ultimate. Everything else is an amazing bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They won't.

Those type of people simply don't like the character and have just been looking for a reason to dump on both him and his fans.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Hate to say it too but there was also fanart of King K. Rool him beating up Ashley and such by K. Rool fans when she was revealed as a assist trophy. That really disgusted me and this is coming from a K. Rool fan myself.
It's just fan rivalry. Harmless banter. Not everybody is going to enjoy the same things.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Back when the Artsy Omni stuff happened, someone posted a death threat toward him in the Rayman thread on this very site when it turned out to be a hoax.

Anywho, long story short, painting an entire fanbase as toxic because of one or two people is dumb, but it's even more dumb to be inconsistent about it.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Really? Leaks are half of the conversation that happens in this thread. What made the mods consider doing this now? I know I was not the first to suggest it long ago.

Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen what is a memory man? (Thinks of method man on memory foam).
Because there are people like the person I replied to that want to chat and speculate but don’t want any potential spoilers from leaks. I’m with you on this, but I can understand that point of view.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The jeuxvideo poster is back on 4chan. At the very least, he's confirmed it to be his account

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/432571184

This just got interesting for Reference Here's his text:

Hi everyone.

I am LaPailleDor. Some of you might know me, because I leaked info on the upcoming Smash Bros game on a french site, Jeuxvideo.com back in July, and the thread was bumped around 2 weeks ago, leading to the creation of a thread here talking about it: https://yuki.la/v/430215445
Long story short, the thread was deleted by a mod and I was banned. Then a mod got to the thread here claiming the screenshot was faked. They first claimed that the thread did exist but I had merely "put in random characters", then claimed it wasn't Smash-related at all.
But the thread is real, it did exist. This is not the first time leaks happen on JVC, especially on the 18-25 forum, hence why it was censored and the mods tried to claim it as fake. That's why I'm posting here now as I get the feeling the censorship isn't going to be nearly as strong.

First of all, here's a proof that I indeed own the account:
https://i.gyazo.com/c1ee444ec4f1b6da9dcc90edd9659aef.png
https://i.gyazo.com/9d6b85c892a2cd552560ab9dcef36788.png
https://i.gyazo.com/e02fb5745e434422be3bc5b6d24b4ea9.png

If you guys still aren't convinced, there's this page: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/profil/lapailledor?mode=favoris. Basically it's a page where each user is allowed to make a list of their "favorite boards". Due to an oversight on JVC's part, it's possible to edit this list even when your account is banned. So you guys can just give me games and I'll put the boards pertaining to them in the list (JVC has a board for virtually every game).

Anyway, sorry for the long intro. The reason why I'm posting here is because I have since then managed to gather even more info on the game.
First of all, I can confirm what I said back in July: Ken, Black Shadow and Isaac are in. Giygas is there as a boss, and Event Mode is returning. Everything else I said then have been confirmed since, as you probably noticed.

There will be at least 5 more playable characters:
- Skull Kid, from the Zelda series
- Medusa, from Kid Icarus
- Ayumi Tachibana, from Famicom Detective Club
- Ninten, from the Mother series
- Reimu Hakurei, from Touhou Project

As well as 2 more bosses:
- Zero-Two from the Kirby series
- Kyurem from Pokemon

I also got info pertaining to stages.
- We're getting a new version of the Poke Floats stage from Melee. And I don't mean just a remastered version, it's a brand new stage, with new Pokemon and everything.
- We'll have the ability to choose the design of the Battlefield, Big Battlefield and Final Destination stages, between the designs of every Smash game up until now (Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Smash 4, Ultimate). They apparently made a version for each of them with remastered graphics.

That's all I got for now. I'm open to questions.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Don't know any specifics but he's mad Echoes can be a bit more unique and Daisy doesn't have that
Lol she’s like the only Echo newcomer that doesn’t have some sort of unique differences from their base other than maybe Richter (But even then he’s already Echoing a newcomer so I don’t really count him)

Like Dark Samus has more floatier physics and animations from what I’ve noticed, and Chrom is essentially a hybrid fighter of the different Fire Emblem characters.

What does Daisy have that makes her so different from Peach besides bouncier animations?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The jeuxvideo poster is back on 4chan. At the very least, he's confirmed it to be his account

Hi everyone.

I am LaPailleDor. Some of you might know me, because I leaked info on the upcoming Smash Bros game on a french site, Jeuxvideo.com back in July, and the thread was bumped around 2 weeks ago, leading to the creation of a thread here talking about it: https://yuki.la/v/430215445
Long story short, the thread was deleted by a mod and I was banned. Then a mod got to the thread here claiming the screenshot was faked. They first claimed that the thread did exist but I had merely "put in random characters", then claimed it wasn't Smash-related at all.
But the thread is real, it did exist. This is not the first time leaks happen on JVC, especially on the 18-25 forum, hence why it was censored and the mods tried to claim it as fake. That's why I'm posting here now as I get the feeling the censorship isn't going to be nearly as strong.

If you guys still aren't convinced, there's this page: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/profil/lapailledor?mode=favoris. Basically it's a page where each user is allowed to make a list of their "favorite boards". Due to an oversight on JVC's part, it's possible to edit this list even when your account is banned. So you guys can just give me games and I'll put the boards pertaining to them in the list (JVC has a board for virtually every game).

Anyway, sorry for the long intro. The reason why I'm posting here is because I have since then managed to gather even more info on the game.
First of all, I can confirm what I said back in July: Ken, Black Shadow and Isaac are in. Giygas is there as a boss, and Event Mode is returning. Everything else I said then have been confirmed since, as you probably noticed.

- Kyurem from Pokemon

- We're getting a new version of the Poke Floats stage from Melee. And I don't mean just a remastered version, it's a brand new stage, with new Pokemon and everything.
- We'll have the ability to choose the design of the Battlefield, Big Battlefield and Final Destination stages, between the designs of every Smash game up until now (Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Smash 4, Ultimate). They apparently made a version for each of them with remastered graphics.

As blatantly fake as this is, a 02 boss would be dope. Although it'd boost the age rating so that sucks

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Because there are people like the person I replied to that want to chat and speculate but don’t want any potential spoilers from leaks. I’m with you on this, but I can understand that point of view.
My point was that we have had leaks for months. I think leaks *are* a completely specific conversation, this is supposed to be a general forum.
The issue is that it is the only forum that moves in close to real time speed, which makes it the often makes it one of the most interesting.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Fanbase generalizations just suck, obviously fanbases are going to act differently as pretty much every potential character has its own unique appeal, so every character will to some extend draw somewhat similar people towards them, but generalizations mostly only take the bad apples into account as those are the ones that you remember. Like, you're not going to remember the Ridley fan that went "oh well" when he was deconfirmed for Smash 4, but you will no doubt remember the one who trashed the game's developer and ranted about your favorite newcomer.

Then you have the case of the Waluigi fanbase which has gotten a really bad rap because news sites wrote articles about a few idiots on Twitter, then it got on Reddit who are the kings of blowing things way way out of proportion, so they're bad enemies to make. I don't even care about Waluigi, but the amount of hate his fanbase has gotten is ridiculous.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also yeah some of the anti-Ashley fan art from after her disconfirmation made me feel slightly uncomfortable, like this one where she was being burned alive by Richter and Simon with her screaming in horror rubbed me the wrong way.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

Hi everyone.

- Kyurem from Pokemon

I somehow think that if those are the real picks people would be even saltier than if we got Ken, Incenroar, SE rep, besides like Skull Kid

andres22

Smash Cadet

Hi everyone.

- Kyurem from Pokemon

>Reimu Hakurei, from Touhou Project

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Reality is, fanbases have toxic members. Let's not talk about that, though, as some of the stuff they did isn't worth talking about and has some uncomfortable discussion being created due to it.

Or basically, move on.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I remember when Daisy was confirmed as an Echo I was in so much disbelief cause I literally thought she’d never be in Smash cause of the exact reason she got in lol.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I remember when Daisy was confirmed as an Echo I was in so much disbelief cause I literally thought she’d never be in Smash cause of the exact reason she got in lol.
"She's way to much like Peach she could legit just be an alt costume"

Sakurai: "EXACTLY!"

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
I've had some bad experience with the Shantae base, but I try not to let those color my view of them.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Also yeah some of the anti-Ashley fan art from after her disconfirmation made me feel slightly uncomfortable, like this one where she was being burned alive by Richter and Simon with her screaming in horror rubbed me the wrong way.
You know she isn’t a real person, right? :p

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Without echos. This game probably wouldn't reach this many playable characters. They don't take too much time to come up with thus using less data leaving more room. I think echos are necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom