• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So what exactly does that mean for Custom Robo’s right? Is it in the public domain, or can nobody use it ever again?

D

Deleted member

Just to change the subject a moment, this 'Smash Down' theory thing. I know its something like 'the characters in the last battle are no longer selectable', but for how long does that mode last? Does it go until no characters are left and the person with the most KO's wins? Is it a set number of rounds? What do we know exactly about it? I'm curious.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I said it once and I'll say it again, October is the last month they can use to reveal stuff because the bundle releases on Nov. 2 and it WILL have the finished mural in its box.
Huh, that's an interesting point...

D

Deleted member

The biggest giveaway to me personally that the final reveal is gonna be in October is the fact that the console bundle is coming with a download code for the game. I don't think they're gonna let people buy a console with a game code you can't even use yet, so my guess is that Nov. 2 is gonna be when the preload goes live.

I mean, I could be wrong off course, but that's what makes the most sense to me. Gonna have to wait and see.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So what exactly does that mean for Custom Robo’s right? Is it in the public domain, or can nobody use it ever again?
I googled what trademark cancellation means and I think it means it’s public domain now, Nintendo no longer owns the rights to the IP

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I truly believe the final smash direct WILL happen from Oct 15th through Nov 2nd. Once November comes around legit leaks WILL happen since the game will be dispersed for companies to be reviewed etc... If i was trying to beat the leaks to the punch then Oct 15th through Nov 2nd is it.
And that's a fair point. But assuming that the box theory is correct, there are only two newcomers left. Brawl and Smash 4 both had their final couple characters leaked before officially announced. So there's precedent.

In the end, Nintendo's marketing department is more focused on optimizing exposure and sales than making certain that obsessed circles of the internet don't find out about the last characters in advance. They could make a direct in October, or in November. We really can't know, only make educated guesses.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Just to change the subject a moment, this 'Smash Down' theory thing. I know its something like 'the characters in the last battle are no longer selectable', but for how long does that mode last? Does it go until no characters are left and the person with the most KO's wins? Is it a set number of rounds? What do we know exactly about it? I'm curious.
We don't know for sure. But I'm willing to say that the number of characters isn't going to matter too much. Unless you don't unlock Smashdown until you have all the characters, it will have to consider people trying out the mode early on.

In cases where the roster isn't the perfect divisible number by 2, 3, and 4. It's likely the mode ends once there's more players then characters left, or there's an elimination process where the player with the least wins or lowest score is out as the Top 2 or 3 are in the final round(/s)

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The biggest giveaway to me personally that the final reveal is gonna be in October is the fact that the console bundle is coming with a download code for the game. I don't think they're gonna let people buy a console with a game code you can't even use yet, so my guess is that Nov. 2 is gonna be when the preload goes live.

I mean, I could be wrong off course, but that's what makes the most sense to me. Gonna have to wait and see.
Actually, allowing customers to purchase digital copies of a game way before preloading is starting to become common practice. On Xbox they were pushing digital preorders for E3 titles on their home screen on the very same day, even though they released in the fall.

Nintendo's also done it, allowing you to purchase the BotW season pass, FE Warriors season pass and Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion before allowing you to preload anything. It's just ticking a box on your account saying that, once the game becomes available, it's yours.

D

Deleted member

And that's a fair point. But assuming that the box theory is correct, there are only two newcomers left. Brawl and Smash 4 both had their final couple characters leaked before officially announced. So there's precedent.

In the end, Nintendo's marketing department is more focused on optimizing exposure and sales than making certain that obsessed circles of the internet don't find out about the last characters in advance. They could make a direct in October, or in November. We really can't know, only make educated guesses.
Characters aren't the only things left, though. With the way they're teasing it, Spirits sounds like it's gonna be big, and I don't think Nintendo would want that part of the game leaked. Not to mention everything in Vault and Games & More.

To each their own, though. Them waiting until mid-to-late November to do one is possible, but IMO, it would be a huge mistake unless they're forgoing a preload, which I kinda doubt.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Re: time between Simon/K. Rool and Isabelle wrt when NEW disappeared: I think it was only two or three weeks after the 8/8 direct

If Nintendo is doing something at TGS for only investors to see, they may remove the NEW and bam, Smash Direct in September

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Did vergeben ever get back to us about the box theory?
He's said multiple times he can't confirm or deny how the box is made, but he's sticking to Ken and Incineroar being in the game.

Basically, "Yeah, that lines up with what I know, but I don't actually know anything about the box's final design."

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Nice to see the daily arguments continuing about Steve/Banjo!

If Steve does end up getting included, what do you guys expect his moveset to be?

We've gone over BK's moveset countless times. For the platformers they come from, their attacks seem to be pretty much built for a smash game. Although with Steve, it's a bit hard for me to picture what he would actually look like as a fighter.

Anybody got any moveset ideas for Steve? Genuinely curious!
Don't have a full moveset, but to share some of my ideas.
  • Neutral and Down Special would related to some Building and/or crafting gimmick. Possibly the side special as well.
  • Enderpearl Teleport and/or Elytra for recovery
  • Minecart as either side special or dash attack
  • Bucket of lava as side or down smash
  • Flint & Steel Down Tilt. That or some pickaxe move that "mines" the ground (low attack that also gives resource for the building gimmick)
  • Tools and weapons fills out normals that doesn't have better ideas.
Would probably be some sort of zoner gameplay build around attacks similar to Villager's tree & Pac-Man's Hydrant.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Re: time between Simon/K. Rool and Isabelle wrt when NEW disappeared: I think it was only two or three weeks after the 8/8 direct

If Nintendo is doing something at TGS for only investors to see, they may remove the NEW and bam, Smash Direct in September
Or October to finally unveil Shadow the Hedgehog

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait till october, Soul Calibur 6 will keep me occupied till Smash for sure. Btw, I feel like I am much more mellow when it comes to Smash news and leaks. Especially considering the amount of characters and the fact that everyone is returning. So much good is happening. I also follow SC6 news and leak cycle, and...let's just say it's a ride.

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
Nice to see the daily arguments continuing about Steve/Banjo!

If Steve does end up getting included, what do you guys expect his moveset to be?

We've gone over BK's moveset countless times. For the platformers they come from, their attacks seem to be pretty much built for a smash game. Although with Steve, it's a bit hard for me to picture what he would actually look like as a fighter.

Anybody got any moveset ideas for Steve? Genuinely curious!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn3UugsjanY
Steve as... Link's echo

D

Deleted member

Actually, allowing customers to purchase digital copies of a game way before preloading is starting to become common practice. On Xbox they were pushing digital preorders for E3 titles on their home screen on the very same day, even though they released in the fall.

Nintendo's also done it, allowing you to purchase the BotW season pass, FE Warriors season pass and Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion before allowing you to preload anything. It's just ticking a box on your account saying that, once the game becomes available, it's yours.
The reason it would create a problem for their marketing and reveal schedule is if the preload does go live before the final Direct, datamining will happen and literally everything will be out of the bag. I just don't see them doing that, not with how Sakurai's commented on them trying to avoid that as much as possible this go around.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can't wait till october, Soul Calibur 6 will keep me occupied till Smash for sure. Btw, I feel like I am much more mellow when it comes to Smash news and leaks. Especially considering the amount of characters and the fact that everyone is returning. So much good is happening. I also follow SC6 news and leak cycle, and...let's just say it's a ride.
Heard something about :ultlucina: being a guest character in the Switch version of SC6? Was that confirmed or denied or?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The reason it would create a problem for their marketing and reveal schedule is if the preload does go live before the final Direct, datamining will happen and literally everything will be out of the bag. I just don't see them doing that, not with how Sakurai's commented on them trying to avoid that as much as possible this go around.
Right, I get that. But do you know what would very easily fix that problem?

Not allowing preload until after the final direct. Nintendo's kind of in charge of when that happens.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
First was the PS1 version, they didn't just add animated cutscenes(which are great mostly) but they added an animated ending which has some random baby in it to tie in with (the non-existing) Chrono Cross.
Then the DS version has the Dream Devourer or whatever its name was and it not only makes everything in the game completely pointless and throws a big middle finger to every Schala theorists but also has Magus's memories erased making his whole character arc pointless and that's not even resolved in the (non-existing) sequel.

But yes, SE should make a whole fighting game around their characters, I'd buy it solely for Crono but I'd love to see TWEWY, Bravely Default and Octopath too.
Ergeiz God Bless the Ring says hi

Also daaaaaamn Nintendo let Custom Robo go into public domain. That's. That's genuinely shocking

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That would be cool! If that were legit it would only make me want a “Soul Emblem” even more!
Never in my life have I needed something so much and never known until I received it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ergeiz God Bless the Ring says hi

Also daaaaaamn Nintendo let Custom Robo go into public domain. That's. That's genuinely shocking
Ergheiz never happened. Ever. There is only Dissidia

And yeah, pretty much. I’d think Bandai Namco would snap up Custom Robo if anything

D

Deleted member

Right, I get that. But do you know what would very easily fix that problem?

Not allowing preload until after the final direct. Nintendo's kind of in charge of when that happens.
Agreed. However, their preloads are typically three to four weeks before launch. Unless they, for whatever reason, change that now, late October or first week of November is what I'm expecting personally for our final Direct. It would especially make sense given how Nintendo usually does their single game focused Directs a month or two before they launch.

To each their own, though. It's very possible I could be wrong. :)

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
https://www.dualshockers.com/soulcalibur-6-no-switch-maybe-later/

Considering they still haven't said they're even doing a Switch version *shrugs*.

The thought is there, but it doesn't look like anything of the sort was planned.
You should read that
https://nintendoeverything.com/drag...ame-after-the-ps4-and-xbox-one-versions-more/

It's the same song with Soul Calibur 6 or even One piece world seeker, when they say "we consider it after the launch of X version" it means there is a higher chance that the switch version is already in developement. They said the same thing with fighter Z for the switch "we are currently doing Xenoverse 2 but we will see after it" it was already planned.

Typically Bamco pr talk.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Poor Custom Robo. Then again... it's free.

Get on it, fangame creators.

D

Deleted member

We don't know for sure. But I'm willing to say that the number of characters isn't going to matter too much. Unless you don't unlock Smashdown until you have all the characters, it will have to consider people trying out the mode early on.

In cases where the roster isn't the perfect divisible number by 2, 3, and 4. It's likely the mode ends once there's more players then characters left, or there's an elimination process where the player with the least wins or lowest score is out as the Top 2 or 3 are in the final round(/s)
Well, the reason I ask is because we may not necessarily need a roster thats divisible by certain numbers depending on the limitations of Smashdown.

Like, what if its a 4 person only mode that goes 5 rounds? That would mean you only need 20 characters total. Each of these is a full on fight before determining next round, so I can't really see this thing going beyond 10 rounds to be honest (in which for 4 players, it'd be 40 choices minimum would be needed) and would be akin to a 10 stock match.

Even if its a mode than can utilize up to 8 participants, then a 5 round Smashdown for 8 people would be 40 characters. Unless I'm missing something (definitely possible), each person selects 1 character (so anywhere from 2-8 players), then it goes to the next round with the previous 2-8 characters (depending on the number of players) unable to be selected. As long as there's a max number of "Rounds" (which is probably around 5 since its techinically a 5 stock match where the 'stock' changes character each time), then you don't really need it to be divisible by anything other than the max player number: 8 if 8 players is possible).

Going further on this thought, if it does max out at 5 rounds, then only 40 characters max are needed and we've already got 28 more than that, so we don't necesarlly need to have the roster divisible by anything. Its more than likely designed so that no matter what, players participating will always have a choice on who to use for the final round. We're still 12 characters over necessary if it goes up to 7 rounds (since 7 rounds with 8 players would be 56 characters).

I mean, I guess it can be a type of 'keep going until all characters are used' thing, but then towards the end, you're forcing people down to where they can't even choose a final character since there will only be an exact amount left. I don't think they'd design this mode that way. It's much more likely that you choose a number of rounds for the 'Smash Down' and play that way. Since most people play 3-5 stock; I'd imagine the mode would end up being selectable for anywhere between 2-5 rounds (though they've got the characters already to do 7 rounds with players still being able to choose a final character instead of being forced into one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom