• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
People already hate(d) Corrin. I would legit consider skipping this game if it had almost an entire ****ing row of FE characters.
That’d be an oof reason to skip any Smash game
Hyrule Temple or Palutena's Temple. I just want to live in the sky.
Go to Hyrule. Palutena is a terrible cook so I wouldn’t recommend you going to her (and Pit’s) home
I would pick the Rhythm Girl (aka The Tap Trial Girl). She's my Avatar for a reason. I just feel like she would be a good pick because it wouldn't seem out of place for her to use Items and Characters from the different Rhythm Games in her moveset (It be weird to see the Chorus Men or Karate Joe holding around a Tambourune or a Microphone...). Besides, Characters like the Chorus Men and possibly Karate Joe (though I think he might make a better assist trophy) would probably be involved with her specials... Also, she technically appears in every Rhythm Heaven game, With her Rhythm Game Tap Trial being playable in every Game except for the DS one (Although she does make a cameo in that one)...
Those are some good reasons for wanting those two as RH rep

D

Deleted member

I would say DO not trust in LeakyPandy. He has been wrong all the time, so for him to comment about Smash not being the GoTY is just wrong.

Smash is the most hyped game. I don't see why that game wouldn't be the game of the year.
I dont think its possible to be considered 'Game of the Year' when it releases a day before the Awards ceremony. Nominations end before the game releases, so yeah; Smash can't technically be 'Game of the Year' for 2018.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Gonna put this again since it got unfortunately stuck at the end of last page https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1042314852189040640

This supports Verg eventhough it’s unrelated to smash considering the whole Castlevania collection, deal he mentioned ages ago. These 2 games would be highly likely on one considering their connection to each other and legacy.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Considering the ARMS dev team said it's too early for Smash, I don't think we're getting Spring Man anytime soon.
I always assumed by too soon he meant for the base game
Hopefully the fact that all characters have returned we will get new Nintendo characters for DLC and not just returning characters and third party guests.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Considering the ARMS dev team said it's too early for Smash, I don't think we're getting Spring Man anytime soon.
I feel like that statement was a cop-out seeing as Roy and Corrin were both included in Smash before their worldwide releases of their respective games.
That said, ARMS is still a new franchise (where Fire Emblem wasn't) and hasn't gained much prominence in the Switch's library, let alone the industry as a whole. Yeah, it sold over a million copies, but that has nothing to do with fighter selection.

My thoughts on Steve's inclusion? It only makes sense. Minecraft is one of the biggest games of all time and I'm positive that Sakurai, if he's had the chance, would have gone all in to showcase the IP in Smash. It wouldn't make sense if Banjo-Kazooie was announced along with the Minecraft stage that has been heavily rumored---no, it has to be Steve.

Trust me, I would LOVE to see Banjo-Kazooie in Smash; the first two games are some of my favorite games of all time. But I guess we'll have to hope for DLC.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Is anyone else really disappointed in that Castlevania collection? I was hoping for a collection of the GBA and DS Castlevanias (obviously with the 2 screen issue fixed). SotN aged a lot worse than those and Rondo is one of the linear titles, which I've never cared much for.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I always assumed by too soon he meant for the base game
Hopefully the fact that all characters have returned we will get new Nintendo characters for DLC and not just returning characters and third party guests.
The good thing about DLC in this game is that EVERYONE IS HERE — so no need for Veteran DLC.

An ARMS character will definitely be DLC, no question. Rex/Pyra, Isaac and Octoling are also likely to be DLC unless a miracle allows them for base roster, which is unlikely in comparison. Other ballot picks, fan favorite wanted newcomers, new faces like the Dragalia Lost protags, and new third parties are also candidates. Like if Skull Kid and/or Impa aren’t on base they could be DLC if they aren’t ATs.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I have been thinking about ARMS lately and Spring Man's inclusion in Smash. Although sales for the IP are great, the "dying" support and fanbase the game has this year compared to Splatoon 2 makes me wonder if Sakurai will have second thoughts on adding Spring Man as DLC. People say Spring Man's inclusion is obvious, but IDK. I am just keeping wary of the status of every Nintendo IP.
If anything, I can see that as more reason to go with Spring Man as DLC.

You have a brand new IP that has sold well, has a colorful cast of characters with abilities that'd fit right into Smash, and had continued support for a while through DLC. Sure, it's not a break-out on par with Splatoon, but still sold pretty damn well for a new IP.

Then, you add Spring Man into Smash, introducing him to many new people. If they like him in Smash, they may look into ARMS, see how much content it has to offer since its launch, and may decide to buy into it. Sudden boost of sales may help ARMS in the future, whether it be more DLC, or encouragement for a sequel down the line.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Is anyone else really disappointed in that Castlevania collection? I was hoping for a collection of the GBA and DS Castlevanias (obviously with the 2 screen issue fixed). SotN aged a lot worse than those and Rondo is one of the linear titles, which I've never cared much for.
I love the linear titles, but I prefer some of the handhelds to SotN as well. I was hoping some would be in the bundle.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The good thing about DLC in this game is that EVERYONE IS HERE — so no need for Veteran DLC.

An ARMS character will definitely be DLC, no question. Rex/Pyra, Isaac and Octoling are also likely to be DLC unless a miracle allows them for base roster, which is unlikely in comparison. Other ballot picks, fan favorite wanted newcomers, new faces like the Dragalia Lost protags, and new third parties are also candidates. Like if Skull Kid and/or Impa aren’t on base they could be DLC if they aren’t ATs.
That reminds me. Has there ever been a case of Assist Trophies being added as (parts of) DLC?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Moydow Moydow
Never ask me for anything ever again.
Technically I didn't even ask you for anything, I just poked fun at you until you came up with this idea by yourself. :p

But I have a two-hour train journey ahead of me, which will probably get longer because of the storm we're having, so I might consider coming up with something to return the favour anyway. though making me come up with a roster is probably a bad idea unless you really like getting salty because I forgot to include someone important, so I might change my mind

View attachment 165502
This is completey 100% biased so I'd like to know how you'd all feel if I had free reign over the roster.
...okay, fine, I wouldn't complain about this, I guess you win for now. Except the twin Bowser Jrs, but everyone else already pointed those out so eh

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Hopefully ultimate being on switch means there will be more DLC than in 4 which was successful on an unsuccessful console
Keep updating the game with new content for a few years. Characters, stages, alternate costumes, new modes, etc
Make it truly ultimate

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Hopefully ultimate being on switch means there will be more DLC than in 4 which was successful on an unsuccessful console
Keep updating the game with new content for a few years. Characters, stages, alternate costumes, new modes, etc
Make it truly ultimate
Man, I'm worried about Sakurai working for that long.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Technically I didn't even ask you for anything, I just poked fun at you until you came up with this idea by yourself. :p

But I have a two-hour train journey ahead of me, which will probably get longer because of the storm we're having, so I might consider coming up with something to return the favour anyway. though making me come up with a roster is probably a bad idea unless you really like getting salty because I forgot to include someone important, so I might change my mind

...okay, fine, I wouldn't complain about this, I guess you win for now. Except the twin Bowser Jrs, but everyone else already pointed those out so eh
good taste

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Considering these are my favorite in both catagories. No. Aria of Sorrow does come close though.

and saying SoTN has aged poorly is kind of funny to me considering it’s amazing attention to detail and legacy.

All of the others are good mind you, (well except maybe Circle of the Moon depending who you ask and I do know a fair few Bloodlines fans who don’t like Portrait of Ruin and how it treats Eric among other things).

But SoTN is basically the Super Metroid of our series and Rondo of Blood is one of the best Classicvanias, alongside the obvious Castlevania 4 and the Famicom version of 3. Also of course 1.

SoTN and Rondo are connected storywise as well. Original Rondo of Blood is also really hard to play these days for people who didn’t grab it on the Wii Virtual Console, Dracula X Chronicles is mildly inferior as well, even if it’s easier to access.

If you don’t like these but like the portable ones? Just keep playing the portable ones and you don’t have to waste your money.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I mean, that's a hard place to call really. Both is better but, Steve does make sense if you want to cast a wide net.
In my eyes smash is a celebration of Nintendo first and foremost
Banjo being a rare case where he used to be a Nintendo character and represents a part of Nintendo history
It would be way more hype than Steve, who deserves an assist trophy at best

Pakky

Smash Hero
In my eyes smash is a celebration of Nintendo first and foremost
Banjo being a rare case where he used to be a Nintendo character and represents a part of Nintendo history
It would be way more hype than Steve, who deserves an assist trophy at best
I get where you're coming from but that's not fair. Smash is a celebration of video-games as a medium. Minecraft has earned a seat at the BIG table as its influence is felt far and wide.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Compared to Splatoon 1's booming 5 million sale success and the giant growing active fanbase that the IP had prior to Ultimate's project plan in 2015 to ARMS, where the game was a million hit, but declining support base, it gets me thinking if Sakurai will exclude Spring Man in the DLC plans until a sequel comes where the support for the franchise booms in a similar fashion to Splatoon. Spring Man's inclusion might be considered pre-mature. ARMS may not be considered a proven Nintendo IP with long-term continuous success to Sakurai.

I get that most would say including Spring Man would help the IP grow from a decent success to a massive success, but eh...
That kind of saying reminds me of the times in Smash 4 speculation where people said including Chibi Robo or Dillon will help their IPs becoming bigger successes. I think Sakurai will want more from the ARMS IP first, but who knows, maybe being a million successor could be enough. :p

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It would make more sense than most people want to accept.
''BUT WHY WOULD MICROSOFT PICK ANYTHING BUT BANJO AND KAZOOIE THEY SAID...."

Banjo and Kazooie is nothing to them. Ya'll need to accept that.

Minecraft, Halo, etc these are the exclusives they give a damn about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom