• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
Not much for all the tower defense stuff either, but the combat in Dillon's Rolling Western was beast. He'd make an awesome addition to the roster. Show Sonic how it's done, lol.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Here's something I'm curious about. Donkey Kong is one of the biggest characters in Super Smash Bros.

Would King K. Rool still work if he was as big as DK?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
DK, Bowser, Olimar. They all have different size than their debut, so I guess K. Rool would work that way too.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Just went on the Nintendo YouTube channel. The Smash for Switch trailer was in its own featured area. Expect more news on the game soon from Nintendo.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm just lenient in expecting a current universe to get a newcomer who's last appearance was 10 years ago. They didn't do that for Mario, Pokemon, or Kirby, so I'm not getting my hopes up for King K. Rool.

But, stuff changes all the time. And they made that ballot for a reason so who knows, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Know how you feel Jinjo.

For me K. Rool has just been the character I've supported since Brawl. It's the one I can not turn my back on, ever. As, if I did not support K. Rool, I would never had gotten this interested in speculating in the first place, which now has become and addiction in itself. So, for me, it's like the one I must never stop supporting sort of.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
The real question is, does K. Rool bring anything special or unique to Smash Bros? If not, then Sakurai isn't going to add him.

Edit: The Smash 5 reveal has its own section. Also Nintendo has created a Smash Bros channel with the new Smash logo. It has 230K subs already.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The real question is, does K. Rool bring anything special or unique to Smash Bros? If not, then Sakurai isn't going to add him.

Edit: The Smash 5 reveal has its own section. Also Nintendo has created a Smash Bros channel with the new Smash logo. It has 230K subs already.
That depends on who you ask I guess, I’d say hell yeah!

I’ve been subscribed to that Smash Bros. Channel since 2014...

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

They've had that channel. What does the playlist say?

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
The channel now has the Smash 5 logo. Check it out.

Edit: Nintendo currently only has the Reveal trailer up. But it says "Super Smash Bros is coming to Nintendo Switch!"

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Just praying for Klonoa at this point considering I'm part of the group who is sick of the "Generic JRPG" swordman types.

Inkling is pretty much confirmed so that's one most wanted down, One more to go.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I think that gives us some evidence that it's a new game
I don't see why. Even if it was just a port it would still be a new project/product, so it would be weird to just lump it in with promotional stuff from years ago.
Not that I don't think it's a semi-new game, but this doesn't seem like evidence.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
I don't see why. Even if it was just a port it would still be a new project/product, so it would be weird to just lump it in with promotional stuff from years ago.
Not that I don't think it's a semi-new game, but this doesn't seem like evidence.
Well scratch that, see my last post. Now it worries me that it might be a port.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I think that gives us some evidence that it's a new game.

On the other hand:
View attachment 138467
Well yeah of course the automated system that gets the game right half the time would go for Smash 4, it's in the library of games it identifies. It wouldn't go for some upcoming game that somehow Youtube secretly knew all about and would have put in ahead of time. So it goes for the current popular Smash game that's existed for four or so years now.

Like there isn't even a title to put in it's just "new smash that is on Switch also Inklings are in".

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I only have two hands to use to grasp at all of these straws. Hopefully we can wake up to a mic drop where they just flat out say something along the lines of "It's a new game" so we can eventually start getting to the nitty gritty around here.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Well yeah of course the automated system that gets the game right half the time would go for Smash 4, it's in the library of games it identifies. It wouldn't go for some upcoming game that somehow Youtube secretly knew all about and would have put in ahead of time. So it goes for the current popular Smash game that's already in.

Like there isn't even a title to input it's just "new smash that is on Switch also Inklings are in".
I dunno, I feel like we should keep tabs on that thing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dunno, I feel like we should keep tabs on that thing.
Youtube also thought Smash 4 was going to show up in, iirc, the Direct last fall. Also placed the game down there. Some people got their hopes up. And we all know how that turned out.

So... yeah...

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Since it's slowed down due to the time, I wanted an opinion on something:
What do people think of the styling of the trailer in relation to the game? The tone is vaguely ominous and the titlecard at the end is the harshest in style that the series has ever had. Also the second cross.

The main reason I ask is because everyone seems to be trying to reverse-engineer what a derivative sequel is when it's a thing normal fighting games do all the time, especially SF. Then I remembered how different the last version of 4 was, though that was because of a new mode that made the game play completely differently.

Then it occurred to me, could that be why there's that secondary cross? That oft-request "Melee setting" that people have been requesting?

It sounds absurd, but I can't think of anything else for why that would be there and it's not the first fighting game to do something like that.
Edit: I don't necessarily mean literally Melee, but something strongly geared towards faster competitive play.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Since it's slowed down due to the time, I wanted an opinion on something:
What do people think of the styling of the trailer in relation to the game? The tone is vaguely ominous and the titlecard at the end is the harshest in style that the series has ever had. Also the second cross.

The main reason I ask is because everyone seems to be trying to reverse-engineer what a derivative sequel is when it's a thing normal fighting games do all the time, especially SF. Then I remembered how different the last version of 4 was, though that was because of a new mode that made the game play completely differently.

Then it occurred to me, could that be why there's that secondary cross? That oft-request "Melee setting" that people have been requesting?

It sounds absurd, but I can't think of anything else for why that would be there and it's not the first fighting game to do something like that.
It's a teaser meant to get your attention and hype you up for an upcoming announcement.
The harsh sounds is meant to highlight the title, and the vague ominous atmosphere is meant to keep you excited for when they reveal the game. Also to keep all the info a secret.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
It's a teaser meant to get your attention and hype you up for an upcoming announcement.
The harsh sounds is meant to highlight the title, and the vague ominous atmosphere is meant to keep you excited for when they reveal the game. Also to keep all the info a secret.
Don't get me wrong, that's a totally credible explanation, but it still seems like a weird direction to me, especially since 4 made such an effort to get away from the grittiness of Brawl and nothing else in the series has been presented like that as far as I can remember. Smash has always had a triumphant sort of tone.

Also does anyone else consider the lack of a slash like the beginning of Smash 4 trailers interesting?
That's a good thing to note. Partially answering my earlier question, I could hazard an English teacher explanation:
That slash is an introduction. The game has already been established and Inklings are joining it after it's been well underway.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Also does anyone else consider the lack of a slash like the beginning of Smash 4 trailers interesting?
Well it was meant to be a surprise announcement.

Don't get me wrong, that's a totally credible explanation, but it still seems like a weird direction to me, especially since 4 made such an effort to get away from the grittiness of Brawl and nothing else in the series has been presented like that as far as I can remember. Smash has always had a triumphant sort of tone.
It's basic teaser trailer stuff. Like this is the stuff cinema has been doing for their stuff for years.
It's just a teaser and nothing more. It doesn't say anything about how the direction will go.

Like okay I know I'm being that guy who has to ruin all the fun. But I do feel like it's important to say again: There is no conspiracy.

The three major points of the trailer are as follows:
  • There is a new Smash game for the Switch.
  • Inklings are a newcomer.
  • It is coming out in 2018

That's it including a possible redesign for Link. Anything else after that is nothing. This is the most info you will get out of the teaser trailer. We will not know anything until Nintendo makes an actual honest to God trailer with actual honest to god gameplay.
Even the silhouettes look to be characters that we already knew where going to in the game in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with speculating of course, but trust me when I say this is the most you're going to get out of this. You won't find any proof of it being a remake or a new game, the tone it's going for, or whether or not it's going to be Melee.
There is no underlying message, there is no man behind the mirror.
There is no conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom