• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Smash is not like other fighting or crossover games, Sakurai makes as sure as he can be to keep the roster locked behind very closed doors. Sure, it gets leaked sometimes but it's never telegraphed by Nintendo themselves. FEW is a good example of a roster just being entirely leaked by the boxart, and I've seen some games confirm a character's presence before their official confirmation because they just showed the ****ing UI.
Sakurai has learned from past mistakes such as the Sticker Leak from Brawl, Ganon in the Smash 3DS commercial and such, and I very much doubt he would let the final newcomer count slip like this.
You can't say that for certain until the game's actually out. Until then, that's just your opinion.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Smash is not like other fighting or crossover games, Sakurai makes as sure as he can be to keep the roster locked behind very closed doors. Sure, it gets leaked sometimes but it's never telegraphed by Nintendo themselves. FEW is a good example of a roster just being entirely leaked by the boxart, and I've seen some games confirm a character's presence before their official confirmation because they just showed the ****ing UI.
Sakurai has learned from past mistakes such as the Sticker Leak from Brawl, Ganon in the Smash 3DS commercial and such, and I very much doubt he would let the final newcomer count slip like this.
Exactly. If this was the case with the box. It never would had been shown or revealed. It's as much of bogus as the chairs and pillows were.

Potato_

Smash Lord
And Nintendo's done the same **** in the past.

Remember Fire Emblem Warrior's Box art revealing characters?

Or how Brawl leaked Lucario, Ness and Jiggs via a video?

Or how Ganon got leaked in Smash4?

Nintendo isn't this amazing "WE WILL KEEP OUR SECRETS TO OUR DYING BREATH!"...... they **** up. A lot.
Nah they do, I'm not suggesting otherwise, I was just saying comparing a leak to an official post isn't really indicative of what's happening.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What's this about a dual reveal of Incineroar and Ken now? Is this a leak or something or is it just the current discussion/speculation for the moment?
Probably because both are based and involved around fighting. Incineroar being a wrestler and Ken being a street fighter.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
View attachment 164384

They'd design the box with all the characters in the game on it. To not do that would just be bad design.
I think his point earlier was saying they wouldn’t make it seem like there would be anymore characters. Meaning this design must have two empty spaces, even though there could be more than that.

So, if they wanted a display for preorders that still looks similar to the final design, this was their only choice(guess Isabelle was a little late to the design by then?).

Still doesn’t provide strong evidence against the box. Just clearing up what I thought he meant.

Shroob

Sup?
I think it mostly boils down to the fact that 3rd party characters are pretty damn special in Sakurai's eyes.

Even if they don't get a full on 3d trailer like Ken, Bayo or Cloud, they get a considerable amount of screentime.

I can't imagine Ken, arguably one of the most famous fighting game characters, getting a minute long echo-fighter reveal trailer.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oh my god...Will people not get it through them the box theory is as bad as the chairs and pillows theory. Why are people still debating it!? :facepalm:

Again being that the Castlevania music was leaked. Nintendo and Sakurai wouldn't want that happening again. If this was the case. They never would had shown this box bundle.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I really believe now that ken and incineroar are our final fighters.

The website is not lying when they say 72 characters

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Whatever happens...
We'll all probably be wrong in some form.
And I'm excited to be proven wrong for this game. Have the bounds of what I think will happen be distorted.

Exit: You guys are thinking outside the box...but you never considered...

Characters displayed on the bottom of the box!

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I mean... with the FE Warriors box art, it had to be found on a Spanish based Nintendo website, and was found by people actively scouring for info on the game.

The accidents with Ness, Jiggs, and Lucario in Brawl, and Ganondorf in Smash 4 all happened very quickly too, so those oversights are understandable.

I won't say it's impossible for Smash to get leaked like this. However, given that Smash is a much higher profile game than FE:W, and that releasing the box art like this would be a much bigger risk than the aforementioned split second clips, I would think Nintendo had the foresight to not make a mistake with this one.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
One is pointing out something akin to "RIDLEY'S IN THE CLOUDS!" in Brawl.

The other is pointing out "Huh, why are there going to be 36 characters per side?"

Not even comparable.
Still ignoring that VergeBen has a SE rep in his sources. Throws the box theory out of the window.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys if this box theory was legit Nintendo never would had shown it. Pretty clear after the Castlevania music leak. They don't wanna screw up again. This is why I don't believe it.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
So you don't believe in chairs and pillows but you'll believe in box bundles...

Ok...
I don’t think it’s belief. It’s just people waiting until it can be disconfirmed otherwise. Because it is an official product design, even if it isn’t finished.

This is far more hefty than hints. It would be a total screw up. I don’t think this is the case, but I also can’t prove it isn’t in any way.

This is one of those cases where people see official evidence(not proof) of a final number and decide it’s best to lower expectations(Thanks LOZ!) so they aren’t disappointed if(IF) they find out it’s true.

There is no one here who wouldn’t be relieved to find out that there are more than 2 more characters on the way to base game. Not a single one.

Shroob

Sup?
If this box theory was legit Nintendo never would had shown it. Pretty clear after the Castlevania music leak. They don't wanna screw up again. This is why I don't believe it.
Yes, Nintendo is a perfect company that never spoils its own surprises.

Nono, all the times people have datamined demos to effectively find entire games contents months before launch mean nothing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My god people are actually believing the box theory...I have no words to describe...:facepalm:

Eh whatever no point arguing over this...

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
On the topic of newcomers and whatnot, I want to ask a question I've been thinking about for a while.

Sakurai said that Nintendo plans to reveal every character in the game before launch. So, do you think that when we've seen the final character, they'll tell us that the reveals are done, or will they keep us guessing right up until release?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Guys if this box theory was legit Nintendo never would had shown it. Pretty clear after the Castlevania music leak. They don't wanna screw up again. This is why I don't believe it.
By this logic, Nintendo shouldn't have had any leaks, major or minor since Roy and Ryu were datamined on Smash 3DS.

My god people are actually believing the box theory...I have no words to describe...:facepalm:

Yes, because I'd rather believe the box theory and expect only two more characters than get my hope's up for more than 2 more characters and have my expectations and hype crushed.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

"Keep your expectations low, and you'll never be disappointed."

Boi, I lived through Brawl and Smash 4 speculation.

I know what it's like to feel COMPLETELY underwhelmed by a final reveal.

Until something says otherwise, I'm siding on the side of caution, nothing more, nothing less.

No reason to psyche yourself up for disappointment when we may know the entire roster as soon as like, 6 weeks from now.

Chrono.

On the topic of newcomers and whatnot, I want to ask a question I've been thinking about for a while.

Sakurai said that Nintendo plans to reveal every character in the game before launch. So, do you think that when we've seen the final character, they'll tell us that the reveals are done, or will they keep us guessing right up until release?
Yeah I'm pretty sure they'll tell us.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't want box theory to be real, I want more characters! Geno, Banjo, Bandanna Dee, all these guys wouldn't get in if box theory was real.
But this isn't like "Purple Chair, Yellow Chair, SKULL KID!!!" This is an assumption based upon an official piece of Smash merchandise that could, COULD mean something. I don't want it to be true, but I am gonna keep it in mind.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Okay but can we get a source on that "Insider Rumour" tho?
That? I think it was something Delzethin recieved shortly after Vergeben’s leaking spree around July/August by another insider. I’ll just contact Delzethin Delzethin to show you.

Apparently, most of the insiders still weren’t sure who the Pokémon newcomer was and were still trying to find a definitive answer as to who it could be. However, when Vergeben did his triple disconfirmation, it could’ve put his sources and other insiders at risk since Nintendo could possibly track them down using that and potential fake information, meaning that he probably said something too early.

That’s probably why he didn’t want to leak Incineroar for that reason and the potential source that said it, so he doesn’t risk blowing up source and his cover. The fact that he only heard it from one reliable source inclined him to not say anything, unttttiilllll Loz18 showed up and released it.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'm breaking my perfect 80 to absolutely destroy this man's whole career

'After the Castlevania slip-up, they wouldn't make a mistake like this again!'
'After the Ganondorf slip-up, they wouldn't make a mistake like this again!'
'After the Sticker slip-up, they wouldn't make a mistake like this again!'

Nintendo isn't perfect. They can, and will, make mistakes. This may not even be a mistake in any way, it could either be a way to temper expectations so people aren't too hopeful, or a means to specifically drum up hype in case something like this is analyzed to this extent. This theory has a healthy deal of footing to it, and as much as I'd like there to be more characters, it fits with everything we know.

Vergeben, as I've said NUMEROUS times, is not gospel, he's a guideline. He himself has said he's shaky on Incineroar, and VERY shaky on the second SE rep. You have the right to not believe this, but your reasoning is faulty.

EDIT: And quit being a condescending ****. People can believe what they want, and unlike the chairs you like to compare this to, there's multiple angles to look at this from that hold it up. For once people stick to a theory that LOWERS expectations, and suddenly you feel the need to get on a high horse and call everybody dumb and lame.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Literally nothing points to Isaac. The only reason people even speculated Isaac was due to jokes in poor taste about the earthquake.
What? No Sakurai posted a Tweet that had characters in a similar formation to the ones in the Golden Sun games fighting Ratholos.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

They’ll tell us when Sakurai will decide to give us the the announcement of the reveal time and date for the final fighters

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
EDIT: And quit being a condescending ****. People can believe what they want, and unlike the chairs you like to compare this to, there's multiple angles to look at this from that hold it up. For once people stick to a theory that LOWERS expectations, and suddenly you feel the need to get on a high horse and call everybody dumb and lame.
Yeesh sorry. Believe me I don't mean to be condescending and wasn't saying people were dumb and lame. Talk about jumping to conclusions. How about before saying something that isn't true, you think before posting bub. :glare:

Sorry to call you that but you honestly had it coming.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Probably, I don't see why he wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom