• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice
I’m excited for this Direct! Sadly, last week was better timing as I had a free day to spend speculating and making sure the forums didn’t catch on fire. Not so this Friday. I have a full schedule in the morning.

But it’s a three day weekend! Next Monday is a holiday. 敬老の日 or Respect for the Elderly Day.

So....

Maybe we get Cranky?
I may get cranky if we don't get Dixie. :dk:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Her and Birdo totally need to be in smash so both of the pink aesthetic trans girls can duke it out to see who's truly best girl.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Man, it'll be weird in here when Sakura (Street Fighter) gets revealed as a unique fighter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looking at the responses, I can't believe I forgot to mention Fourside as a stage to go to first. **** was my jam. Speaking of stages, I REALLY WISH Sakurai would bring back the concept of Akaneia for another Fire Emblem stage. If we got Ditto back from Melee hell and pretty much all concepts thrown in to Ultimate, the missing Akaneia stage is the only thing left in Smash Purgatory. Let's make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Of course it had to be at 3, the exact time where I could not possibly watch it live.
Heh, I get out of school around 2, but I have soccer till like 4, so I get to miss it, just like everything else smash related.
To create a line of discussion, what if Nintendo put you in charge of the smash ultimate division of the strategic leaking department, what would you do?
I'd pick a random leaker, and convince them they are being leaked to, then, around three days before ech revel, give them info for them to reveal that day. This way, discussion for certain charecters peak right before major reveals, giving charecters relevancy, and drumming up both hype and credibility for our leaker.
Thoughts?

Chrono.

Mai is awesome and cute, but I think SNK would either put Terry Bogard or Marco Rossi in if asked for a rep.

Geese Howard just happened to fit more into Tekken
Just remembered, Terry also got in Fighting EX Layer.

SNK is just on the ball nowadays.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Or Guile making it in, just so we can have that sweet, sweet Guile's Theme Smash Bros Remix.
Well to be fair, Guile's presence isn't actually required for his theme song to be in the game. After all, we got a remix of Vega's theme.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Don’t see why Tails wouldn’t take priority considering how much more prominent he is in the series. He’s also easier to make a clone/semi-clone moveset for considering how similar he is to Sonic in Fighters.

1:1 like Richter? Metal Sonic would need a different Up-throw.
I actually couldn't remember what Sonic's up throw was at first, but yeah you're right.
I mean in terms of the majority of normals and specials, Metal Sonic would be a go to if they couldn't do a unique Up-B or different moves like for Tails. People point to Shadow, but Metal Sonic could literally take that place outside of maybe his running and dash attack animations, which as seen with different echoes, that's standard to change.

I do completely agree that Tails would take priority. I just worded my stance wrong, which I'll go fix.
I always thought if Tails wouldn't get in, it'd be Knuckles and vice versa. Seeing that Knuckles is an AT now, Tails has both iconography and an easy moveset to derive from Sonic.
So if we're getting a Sonic character, I think it has to be him.
In all honesty, I'm actually surprised Tails wasn't added as a character after Brawl, he seems like the obvious pick to go for unless you choose Eggman.
The question I have with characters like Tails and Ken, is the fact if they would be classified as Echo Fighters. I mean I'd think so given each and every clone introduced in this game are, but maybe they'd be considered "exceptions".
Or not. It may literally not matter to the dev team at all.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Actually... why did they add the decimals to the percentages?

There's an actual reason behind it and I don't think I fully understand it.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well to be fair, Guile's presence isn't actually required for his theme song to be in the game. After all, we got a remix of Vega's theme.
I know, but if he was in, then I'd be able to play as him while the theme is playing in Smash for a weird surreal experience.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
People always point to Greninja when arguing for Rex/Pyra or an Arms character, but always seemingly ignored the interview where Sakurai stated Greninja was an explicit exception for Pokemon, while in that same interview stating that if Awakening released as little as six months later (with its Japanese release being one month before Smash 4's project plan was devised), Robin and Lucina probably wouldn't have been playable in Smash 4.

Also remember the issue with inclusions from future games isn't just if Sakurai would know about the characters' existence or not when deciding the roster, it's that he has no idea how those characters will be received and what their demand for Smash will be until it's far too late into development to do anything about it. Back in December 2015 even if Sakurai knew about those games, he has no idea if Xenoblade 2 will be the hit it became or be a franchise killer like Zip-Lash, and he has no idea if Arms will be Nintendo's next big new IP or be another stillborn franchise like Code Name STEAM; if Sakurai did a future inclusion for those games and they flopped, few people would be clamoring for those characters and them being in Smash over other options would receive quite the backlash, especially in a game like Ultimate that is focusing on fan desires so much, and there's the possibility those games are successful but whatever character Sakurai chooses end up not being popular, still leading to a negative reaction. This is additionally the age of DLC and Smash 4's DLC was hugely successful, why risk putting the developmental resources into a new unproven character for the base game, when you can put those resources instead towards a proven fan favorite and then make the new character for DLC once they prove themselves?

When people think Rex/Pyra and an Arms character will be in the base game, they really have to put aside their recency bias; if Xenoblade 2 and Arms flopped barely anyone would be talking about them for Smash, and now are only making their assumptions about them being in Smash with information Sakurai did not know when he decided the roster.
The problem with the argument is it's saying "It happened once but will never happen again." Or, to be more precise "It happened once but will never expand outward." When people point to Greninja, it's that he sets the precedence. Things change overtime. There isn't some magic bible that tells Sakurai he can only do that for Pokemon. The point people are making is that is has happened so its not an impossibility. Of course, he wasn't the only one.

• Roy was added before his game was even set to release
  • Corrin was added before his game was out internationally
  • Lucas was added despite his game releasing about a year and a half before Brawl's original release (ARMS released a year and a half before Smash will release)
People bring up success a lot but there is no clear evidence that it matters. Xenoblade was added despite selling less than 1 million. Bayonetta 2 sold less than 1 million. Just because a series could fail hasn't seemed to stop series getting in in the past. Smash is developed in a bottle and them being included in one game seems to have little to do with them being kept in for the next one.

My grip with the timing argument is it tries to ignore everything else of why a character will be included for arbitrary dates. We only know the first proposal was done in Dec 2015. We don't know how characters are choose, what research is done, or what factors come into play. Its basically working with blinders. Its a weak argument.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Or Guile making it in, just so we can have that sweet, sweet Guile's Theme Smash Bros Remix.
Or they could just put in the remixed Guile’s them in Smash with or without making him a character
And I no Smash fan is allowed to be weirded out until a Walking Dead character is put into Smash. :b
only Walking Dead characters allowed are Lee, Clementine, and Kenny

potato69

Smash Apprentice
New character idea: Tiki from Fire emblem but her dragonstone turns her into fat Yoshi.
tikyeet.png

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Or they could just put in the remixed Guile’s them in Smash with or without making him a character
am i going to have to respond to this same sentiment 300 times

they could do that, but then also they could make guile a character
more news at 11

I want to play as guile, pummeling jigglypuff, while his theme is playing
is that so hard

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

New character idea: Tiki from Fire emblem but her dragonstone turns her into fat Yoshi.
View attachment 163613
Fat Yoshi is probably the weirdest meme to come out of 2018.

Like, the original video is just it vibrating to a Yoshi song. It's hilarious how much both it and the Kirb meme spread after that, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
am i going to have to respond to this same sentiment 300 times

they could do that, but then also they could make guile a character
more news at 11

I want to play as guile, pummeling jigglypuff, while his theme is playing
is that so hard
1. No...you’re gonna have to respond 9001 more times
2. Ken would be quicker to be made and also brings a new challenger (Guile or Chun Li as an AT character >...for now atleast)
3. That is hard to be given to you

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Like I understand that some characters have things going for them, but what makes people so confident that we're getting Isaac or Skull Kid tomorrow?
Base roster predictions I get, but this is Smash Bros. and Nintendo we're talking about, they could throw whoever they want in a direct.
I mean even the dude who posted the Gematsu leak claimed that Shulk was going to be shown off when it was the Robin and Lucina trailer. Unless I'm missing something, I just don't get it.

Graizen

Smash Champion
For the people interested in the Digimon Special livestream happening after the Nintendo Direct
Here's the link:

It will go live in 36 hours.
Agumon is the main Digimon of the show.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
1. No...you’re gonna have to respond 9001 more times
2. Ken would be quicker to be made and also brings a new challenger (Guile or Chun Li as an AT character >...for now atleast)
3. That is hard to be given to you
The amount of time a character takes to be made is irrelevant if they've planned it all from the beginning.

I don't actually want Guile past his theme (I was memeing) but let me just say something

If Guile was on that list and not Ken, they're not gonna be like "ah **** people pointed out Ken woulda been quicker better shift gears"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom