• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
we do this now the fifth time man, and you still believe sakurai? the man said dont expect mayn characters, tons are revealed,
the man said ridley impossible, revealed, the man says alot, DONT BELIEVE HIM, i thought ppl started thinking
Not this whole “Sakurai is a troll” crap again.

SAKURAI HAS NEVER DIRECTLY LIED TO US.
Ok maybe the ballot but even then he had the “realizable characters” line to make it so he could mean whatever he wanted.

He said “We will announce every fighter before launch.” Theres no reason to not expect that to be the case.

And honestly it makes more sense. You can have every character be a surprise in their reveal trailers, and then there’s nobody to be leaked when the game inevitably breaks street date a few days before release.

And excluding echoes, he’s probably right on the “not too many newcomers” thing. Brawl and Smash 4 has 15 unique newcomers each, and we probably won’t get that this time.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This people, shows how DESPERATE we are.
This scene really needs to learn to go with the ebbs and flows a bit better. There are few that get into the hype of life the way that I do, I've literally built a career with that in mind. Yet, we always go from one extreme to the other. "Nothing happens" in three weeks and we think the game is canceled. One slight clue and we are over the moon thinking Ridley is in the game from his shadow. I get the fun in doing this, but it's important to take a step back and calm the hell down. The threads have more than two modes of anemic and oversaturated.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If we take these filenames into account, and we assume we're getting a first-party newcomer...

...Skull Kid...is more likely...

C'mon and ride the Smash Hype Train! (inb4 it's a Pokémon)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
out of interest now that most speculation got through and is at a stillpoint until we see the newcomer,
who is REALISTICLY making the game
no favoritism, just realistic
besides
geno, banjo, isaac, skull kid, incineroar shadow isabelle and ken, i mean those are the frontrunners i guess.
There is no 'realistically' making the game, its just opinion. The entire speculation scene is run on either personal opinion (often), or educated guess. The latter is the list for which you ask, and it just isnt a thing. This is not math and there is no formula.
Even the characters which you list are just speculation frontrunners largely because we already talk about them a lot. Consider the chicken or the egg in that regard.

Shroob

Sup?
If we take these filenames into account, and we assume we're getting a first-party newcomer...

...Skull Kid...is more likely...

C'mon and ride the Smash Hype Train! (inb4 it's a Pokémon)
It's either Skull Kid or Incineroar.

3 blog posts.

1 for the reveal trailer.
1 for the character trailer.
1 for the memory.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ok maybe the ballot but even then he had the “realizable characters” line to make it so he could mean whatever he wanted.
Well he did unintentionally toy with many Ridley supporters over the whole “shadow” moment, but I wouldn’t call it much of a lie

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
That's what I mean.

If the next newcomer is Skull Kid, then that means the last batch to be shown during a Smash Direct are probably Incineroar and Geno.

Skull Kid, Incineroar and Geno are basically the ONLY 3 non-echo characters that have been leaked by semi-credible sources, and none of them need stages.
I doubt Incineroar and Geno won't get stages.

It would be super weird having a Pokemon stage for every generation playable except Incineroar and I have a sneaking suspicion the Ultra Beasts are being kept hidden because they'll be hazards on the stages.

And for Geno I doubt Sakurai would go though all the trouble with Square and not bring over a Mario RPG stage. Plus it wouldn't be that hard to make, they could just make Forest Maze a retro stage with SNES graphics like Mute City 3ds.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Apparently direct images and famitsu scans are for sale on the dark web. Extremely high priced. Rumors are going around that someone has purchased it and has divulged info to ppl in the community. Not sure if this means ppl like verge loz rogersbase etc.

Potato_

Smash Lord
And excluding echoes, he’s probably right on the “not too many newcomers” thing. Brawl and Smash 4 has 15 unique newcomers each, and we probably won’t get that this time.
Honestly if we reached 8 (the amount 64 and Melee added) I'd be satisfied.

Mock 8 could be Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K.Rool, Geno, Skull Kid, Isaac, Gen 7 Pokemon/Banjo.

That seems like a lineup that'd satisfy most people.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Apparently direct images and famitsu scans are for sale on the dark web. Extremely high priced. Rumors are going around that someone has purchased it and has divulged info to ppl in the community. Not sure if this means ppl like verge loz rogersbase etc.
Now that’s something I won’t trust one but

Shroob

Sup?
I doubt Incineroar and Geno won't get stages.

It would be super weird having a Pokemon stage for every generation playable except Incineroar and I have a sneaking suspicion the Ultra Beasts are being kept hidden because they'll be hazards on the stages.

And for Geno I doubt Sakurai would go though all the trouble with Square and not bring over a Mario RPG stage. Plus it wouldn't be that hard to make, they could just make Forest Maze a retro stage with SNES graphics like Mute City 3ds.
Where are Pichu and Mewtwo's stage? Or Jigglypuff. Hell, we have a Gen 5 stage with no Gen 5 rep.

No, Incineroar doesn't 'need' a stage.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
File 121 is also strangely missing. It's between Ness's Memories and Rathalos. Yoshi's Island music is 123 Btw.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

He said “We will announce every fighter before launch.” Theres no reason to not expect that to be the case.

And honestly it makes more sense. You can have every character be a surprise in their reveal trailers, and then there’s nobody to be leaked when the game inevitably breaks street date a few days before release.

It really is a matter of your interpretation.
In Brawl, he said the exact same thing about not many new characters. That would be a near direct comparison.
He may not outright lie, but he clearly does troll. It is not a negative thing, it is because he loves surprises and wants to misdirect us. I agree that this is different than lying, it is fully about the art of misdirection to ultimately make us more hype in the end.
Remember getting Toon Link in the background? Tell me that is not trolling. Or that anyone on these boards would not have claimed that meant the character was not in the game (hell, we still say that means characters wont get in if they are in the background; much less already used in any capacity- even though we now know characters *will* function dual roles, as far as AT/boss and background/playable). The rules arent broken until they are. And everything he says is true, until its not.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The ****? We doin' drug deals for Smash info now? I don't believe one bit of that.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Eh. I've accepted that it's going to be on Thursday. Which probably means another long, grueling 58 hours of this, but what can ya do.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I didn't see Peach die in a Daisy trailer.
Because it was an off screen death (Sakurai was gonna have her be killed by K Rool+Ridley and Death, but Daisy threatened them all). Revenge was sweet and now she’ll be in future copies of Mario Odyssey
what can ya do.
Focus on more than the direct to make things less painful

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Mock 8 could be Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K.Rool, Geno, Skull Kid, Isaac, Gen 7 Pokemon/Banjo.

That seems like a lineup that'd satisfy most people.
That sounds pretty boring to me- it's just what everyone is repeating, in large part because it is what everyone is repeating, repeated more due to being heard and again repeated.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Inb4 Thursdays perpetually cycle out with horrible stuff that keeps delaying the direct until release.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
1490915479254.gif

How dedicated and thirsty for information would one have to be to waste hundreds of dollars just to know who's in Smash? On the black ****ing market?

PurpleStuff5

Smash Cadet
This week truly has been the darkest timeline in my time as a Smash fan.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Well he did unintentionally toy with many Ridley supporters over the whole “shadow” moment, but I wouldn’t call it much of a lie
Honestly, back then and even now I still think that was literally a bunch of people grasping at straws.
His shadow was literally shown while he mentioned potential boss characters. I just remember not trying to talk about it as I saw people getting flamed for mentioning it and I also didn't want to come across as a jerk.
It's either Skull Kid or Incineroar.

3 blog posts.

1 for the reveal trailer.
1 for the character trailer.
1 for the memory.
Can we please stop acting like these characters are hard locks for the roster?
Hell, Verge even said that only one of his sources was completely confident it was Incineroar.
Also, loz became deflated about Skull Kid's chances after he potentially got smoked out by someone at Nintendo.
Not to say that Skull Kid isn't likely, or that a Pokémon isn't, but no one in this game should be considered a lock.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Well there was the 4chan leak that predicted the DoA6 release date that also said tecmo had content in smash.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Where are Pichu and Mewtwo's stage? Or Jigglypuff. Hell, we have a Gen 5 stage with no Gen 5 rep.

No, Incineroar doesn't 'need' a stage.
I admit they could just use the boxing ring in his trailer but you've got to admit it's really weird that we've seen nothing of the Ultra Beasts especially since we've seen Marshadow who was revealed after Sun and Moon released.

Well there was the 4chan leak that predicted the DoA6 release date that also said tecmo had content in smash.
If they got anyone it would be Ryu Hayabusa

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That sounds pretty boring to me- it's just what everyone is repeating, in large part because it is what everyone is repeating, repeated more due to being heard and again repeated.
Yeah, it's boring, but it's what people want.

As much as I like surprises, I'll take a roster of characters that people actually want for once tyvm.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Yo, here's a topic we haven't explored. Even with the Direct looming on the horizon, do you think Nintendo will show off anything Smash related at the Tokyo Game Show?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Honestly, back then and even now I still think that was literally a bunch of people grasping at straws.
His shadow was literally shown while he mentioned potential boss characters. I just remember not trying to talk about it as I saw people getting flamed for mentioning it and I also didn't want to come across as a jerk.
Sometimes a thirst for a character can get to the lowest of lows (the Ridley Shadow fiasco ending with Ridley fans being depressed) to the highest of highs (Ridley being playable in Smash by killing Mario and Mega Man, leading to fans bleeding out money and excitement)

Shroob

Sup?
Ultimate Roster.png

If Skull Kid is revealed, then going off of just what Vergeben and Loz have said(+Shadow), this could be the final roster.

I'm completely down for it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, it's boring, but it's what people want.

As much as I like surprises, I'll take a roster of characters that people actually want for once tyvm.
Yet you put so much confidence that the next direct/announcement just has to be one or the other character based on... nothing. :061:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom