• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Tales certainly is popular in Japan. It managed to get into a theme park against the likes of Final Fantasy, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Detective Conan. In the west, Tales is obscure. Lloyd Irving is suggested because he's the most recognizable hero to American audiences. However, he is less likely than Heihachi because Tekken is more popular than Tales.
Do you have proof of this?

High Japanese popularity and good Western popularity isn't anything to scoff at.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I would agree with this sentiment. I feel like the only reason that Young Link is back is because of the "Everyone is Here" tagline, and once we get the next game, it'll be back to just Toon Link.
He's also the closest the game has to a regular Link, due to :ultlink:'s BotWification.

Iridium

Smash Hero
-I had to sit through Decidueye being "the" most likely candidate over the course of speculation, with Incineroar constantly getting discredited for disgusting reasons such as "we already have a Fire type Starter" and "it has nothing unique".
-I have no fallback like the Decidueye fans do because it's not like I can just play Pokken to play as Incineroar; Decidueye took that already.
-Incineroar's finally being given a fair shake in speculation, with even a notable source of leaks saying Incineroar is the Alolan fighter of Ultimate, giving me hope that my most wanted is actually going to be playable after so long.

Disappointed wouldn't even begin to cover what I'd feel if Decidueye showed up instead at this point.
Especially after getting two of my other greatest wants disconfirmed already.
Your signature reminded me, why doesn't Incineroar do that for Darkest Lariat? Maybe animation, but still.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Alternatively, because he's a big Digimon fan, someone is taking advantage of him and trolling him.

I have an easier time believing that.
This. This is what I believe is happening.

He's never given any impression of being a user who would do the opposite. I legit feel it'd be like if someone message Zinith about Boshi or Arcadenik about Meowth.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Your signature reminded me, why doesn't Incineroar do that for Darkest Lariat? Maybe animation, but still.
Sacrificing the opportunity to see a T-posing Incineroar spin rapidly towards you at high speeds would be a crime.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Given that Tetra (if that's what Toon Sheik would have been) and Toon Zelda are two of my most wanted newcomers, I would be overjoyed at that.

Now that I think about it, it would be awesome if they could bring back all of the unused characters like Ayumi Tachibana, Takamaru, and Blastoise.
Once more a reminder that characters having been considered at one point doesn't make them planned/unused; Ayumi and Takamaru were just brief considerations during the conceptual stages of Melee and Smash 4 respectively that Sakurai quickly passed over, and Blastoise was just a consideration for how to fill the Pokemon Trainer's team that got passed over to use different evolutionary lines, none of these characters ever made it to the actual planning and development stages.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
The message said that Lloyd was not chosen becouse he was alot like some Fire Emblem characters.
And Heihachi was not chosen becouse he was alot like Ryu.

They wanted more creative characters, and thats why Agumon and Klonoa were chosen.
>Lloyd passed over because of him being a lot like FE characters, even though the only similarities they share are bladed weapons and an art style at its most basic level.

Yeah right. Also, if Lloyd was like an FE character then that would probably help him when it comes to Sakurai reusing characters like Marth and Ike as base models for other characters with realistic proportions. I believe even Cloud used Ike as a base model, so cross-series asset sharing isn’t impossible.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
This. This is what I believe is happening.

He's never given any impression of being a user who would do the opposite. I legit feel it'd be like if someone message Zinith about Boshi or Arcadenik about Meowth.
If someone sent me a "leak" about Boshi, I'd send it to someone who could give more insight like vaanrose before I go public with it

Graizen

Smash Champion
Get rid of Falco and add Joker.

Again, until you send me the full message and not just what it said I will not believe it's true.

At this point, I'd like a screenshot of the post with the username blacked out. I need confirmation that you received it from someone else and didn't fake it.
Ok here it is. But please don't ask anything more from me.
I realy don't like this type of things.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Whoa! 20+ pages in 4 hours?!

Did I miss like 5 fake leaks or something?

——

On a serious note, it's impressive how they remade every character from every game on a new engine. I'm glad i'm not a graphic designer.
This is a true statement. I’m so happy to see everyone back, and most of them are looking great.

Does make me wonder how long it took, though. Every character was definitely remodeled, but I can imagine that the animations for everyone from 4 were just ported over. I don’t know how difficult it was for the Brawl characters, and they may have had to have been remade from scratch, but both of the Melee vets could propably have their animations copied from Link and Pika from 4.

If they had as much dev time for this game as for the others, but now instead of making a huge time sink (SSE or a second version of the game) they had most of the animations done already, it does make me wonder how much we still don’t know about. Each stage was remade from scratch, and now we’ve also got this mystery mode as well...

I’m getting really hungry for info!

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Most recent update on Smash website was a Pokemon, could this mean Incineroar is to be revealed next?

Chrono.

Tales certainly is popular in Japan. It managed to get into a theme park against the likes of Final Fantasy, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Detective Conan. In the west, Tales is obscure. Lloyd Irving is suggested because he's the most recognizable hero to American audiences. However, he is less likely than Heihachi because Tekken is more popular than Tales.
You're kinda underselling Lloyd and Tales here.

Popularity in Japan is still plenty important and Lloyd has had consistently high support since Brawl. From both Japanese and Western fans.

And I don't have sales figures on me but for what it's worth, a Tales game got a spot on the main stage of Microsoft's E3 this year. Despite it being a multiplatform game, they could've easily given that spot to another game, yet they didn't.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Lloyd?

Too much like Fire Emblem characters.

No blue hair, two swords, not wearing armor or platings like most FE characters.

Wut.

Heihachi also fights incredibly different from Ryu in Tekken. In fact one of the points of Akuma being in Tekken 7 is that a Street Fighter character has some advantages that other Tekken characters simply don't have by trying to make them feel as they do in their native games.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Toon Zelda/Tetra: I think Toon Link was chosen over Toon Zelda during development of Brawl. Toon Link was added late in development from what I understand and I doubt there would've been two Wind Waker reps in Brawl. I think Toon Zelda has the least amount of a chance of being added into Ultimate.
Toon Link was always planned, as were Wolf and Jigglypuff, they were just among a designated group of low priority characters that weren't seen as essential and thus their inclusion was on a "if we have the time to finish them" basis, which is why they were kept out of the SSE as it would have been infeasible to rewrite the story and redo cutscenes to account for a scrapped character. Toon Zelda/"Toon Sheik" were almost certainly just more low priority characters like the rest of the Forbidden Seven who didn't make the final cut in the end.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My god you know what, i will delete it.
Hey, I didn't mean to come across as rude, and I'm sure you were sent this message, apologies for doubting you.
I'm just trying to convey it that you are definitely being trolled, as other users have pointed out.
Anyone can make a text leak, sadly.

Iridium

Smash Hero
If we wanted a more comical Phoenix Wright trailer, we could get something like a trial based on the sudden disappearance of Cappy. I'll let you all decide who the culprit would be.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Hey, I didn't mean to come across as rude, and I'm sure you were sent this message, apologies for doubting you.
I'm just trying to convey it that you are definitely being trolled, as other users have pointed out.
Anyone can make a text leak, sadly.
Yes i know, and i don't like these types of things.

But i was happy becouse at least they are talking about agumon.

Thats all, im sorry.

Boshi and I'd kill Snake. WAIT, hold on, hear me out...

Snake infiltrates a compound in the night, only to find his target replaced by a plate of Yoshi cookies. While he's examining the cookies, a cigarette lights up behind him, revealing the silhouette of a Yoshi with the gleam of sunglasses and then it cuts to Snake's screams getting muffled (presumably getting eaten by the mysterious figure) and when it comes back there's nothing but a man-sized blue egg in the place of Snake...
End of the reveal trailer... or is it? Camera goes back to the egg and you hear a faint sound.

''Colonel... i need help... ''
'' Snake, i can't hear you. Are you calling me from inside a box again?''
''urrrrghh''

:p

Last edited:

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
And here I am in my lonesome corner, hoping Prince Sidon becomes part of the roster...
It's okay I'm with you. PLEASE SAKURAI

New game: your most wanted character gets to be in smash, but you have to kill another character for it to happen. The character you kill is removed from smash. Who do you kill and how do you do it? I'm interested in seeing how everyone would go about plotting the death of a smash fighter;)

(if you decide not to do it, Sakurai kills you in the next trailer)
UhhhHHHHH okay let's give a big ol' goodbye to Corrin and welcome in Bandana Waddle Dee!

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I've only been skimming, but Graizen Graizen if you didn't fake this yourself, it seems like someone is trolling you because you've had a trigger finger on spreading obviously fake leaks in the past. I'd advise you hold onto any messages you get in future until after they've gotten some proof, then share. You'll get a lot more positive reaction then.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
The tweet that announced the direct being postponed, just got deleted...hmm...

Edit: JPN and UK Twitter still have the tweet up.
Edit 2: FALSE ALARM, mobile Twitter sucks! The tweet is no longer pinned is all.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ok here it is. But please don't ask anything more from me.
I realy don't like this type of things.

View attachment 162459
Heihachi's only similarity to Ryu is being a Japanese Martial Artist. But they practice different forms, Heihachi isn't doing much, if anything, of Ryu's stuff.

Lloyd's reasoning is super dumb too. There's loads of characters that look similar to eachother in Smash.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
And do you have evidence that Tekken is more popular than Tales? Because if you don't do the research, then don't say anything that's gonna fall back on you

God I can't believe I thought that looked real as a kid. You can literally see his opponent jump off the mat to make the move look like it's harming him.
That's because he overselled lmao. The Rock would be the best overseller when it comes to selling the Stunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom